hulika

Author Topic: bolt on vs set neck guitar  (Read 3380 times)

Offline zinitsi

bolt on vs set neck guitar
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
ano ba advantages and disadvantages ng bolt on at set neck? i mean may specific na tunog na napproduce ba kapag bolt on ang guitar or set neck? any ideas kahit mga additional infos with regards to this! thanks!

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
Re: bolt on vs set neck guitar
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline zinitsi

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »
ayun buti meron nito salamat sir!

You're welcome. :-)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »
Sabi nga ng iba the additional sustain on the setneck is a myth. I read an article (can't seem to ind it) where a Luthier created 2 same guitars with different neck joints. The sustain and sound was just the same, he even tested the frequency on an oscilloscope.

The debate on on sustain started when the strat was compared againts a Les paul. The Les paul had more sustain. But of course both guitars cannot be compared. For bolt ons, the trick lies in the neck pocket itshould be as tight and as close as possible wood to wood.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline dennis22opina

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:38:08 AM »
the quality of the construction is all that matters..kahit set neck, bolt on or neck through pa yan. at least for me.. :)

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
Basta tight ang fit ng bolt on no problem sa sustain. Tsaka depende rin sa bridge. Mas matagal ang sustain ng fixed bridge kesa sa mga springloaded floating ones.
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
Sabi nga ng iba the additional sustain on the setneck is a myth. I read an article (can't seem to ind it) where a Luthier created 2 same guitars with different neck joints. The sustain and sound was just the same, he even tested the frequency on an oscilloscope.

The debate on on sustain started when the strat was compared againts a Les paul. The Les paul had more sustain. But of course both guitars cannot be compared. For bolt ons, the trick lies in the neck pocket itshould be as tight and as close as possible wood to wood.

Very true...  But when comparing one guitar type from another, no bolt on guitars -- even the ones that are exceptional -- can rival the sustain of my gil yaron and baker firemodel#55 which of course are exceptional set necks.

Offline jeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
The best bolt on is no match to the best set neck in sustain. Syempre if you compare a mediocre set neck to an outstanding bolt-on you you arrive at an unfair conclussion same with vice versa of it.
>Use your ears, dont worry about the hype!>"Not everything that counts can be measured and not everything you can measure counts">TECHNIQUE is in the FINGERS & TONE is more in the GEAR>HIYAW, if you didnt get it, its your problem not mine>killed ur killer

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
The best bolt on is no match to the best set neck in sustain. Syempre if you compare a mediocre set neck to an outstanding bolt-on you you arrive at an unfair conclussion same with vice versa of it.
I used to believe this. Now... I just don't know. All these best this and best that are theoretical. Has anyone actually seen the best, whatever that means? At the end of the day, what matters is what you can hold with your hands and play.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline dextoi

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
looking for Line6 M5... thanks...

http://cedlibnews.blogspot.com

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
I like how the construct this bolt-on neck...

:?
Google is your friend.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
:?

I guess what he meant was he likes the construction of the bolt-on neck of the Parker. :-\

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
All these best this and best that are theoretical. Has anyone actually seen the best, whatever that means?

A guitar crafted by Chuck Norris. There's only one in existence. I heard it was a bolt-on too.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:32:10 PM by Bart »

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
A guitar crafted by Chuck Norris. There's only one in existence. I hear it was a bolt-on too.

I would love to see that. Hehe.

Offline stirfriedstrat

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:47 PM »
bolt on syempre, pwedeng baklasin ~ di matakaw space sa bagahe pag wala kang flight case.

Offline jeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
I used to believe this. Now... I just don't know. All these best this and best that are theoretical. Has anyone actually seen the best, whatever that means? At the end of the day, what matters is what you can hold with your hands and play.
Theoritical as it may seem but it remains a theory till its applied. Medjo mahirap nga if you dont know how to categorize what makes-up a fair to mediocre to the best. It will pretty much be limited to your personal subjectivity of exposure, knowledge and experience... and especially you should know the basis of your best that your looking for. The best will be the best till something better comes along. Minsan you let go what is better due to a lot of factors. Sabi nga ni Buzz...to infinity and beyond  :)
>Use your ears, dont worry about the hype!>"Not everything that counts can be measured and not everything you can measure counts">TECHNIQUE is in the FINGERS & TONE is more in the GEAR>HIYAW, if you didnt get it, its your problem not mine>killed ur killer

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »

... looks like its a myth after all.
i just thought for a long time that there were no differences between bolt-on & set neck or neck thru... i don't know, and i'm not sure... but all i know is a bolt-on is more practical, in case you need to change necks. Replacement necks for your already existing bolt-on would be easier to change.

thanks for this informative thread
br & God bless
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
I honestly can't find much of a sonic difference between bolt on and set necks, hindi lang siguro ako maarte. bolt on madali nga lang palitan.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »
I honestly can't find much of a sonic difference between bolt on and set necks, hindi lang siguro ako maarte. bolt on madali nga lang palitan.

And easier to repair.

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
I just don't like how a Les Paul, or any other guitar that's supposed to have a set in neck, looks like with a bolt on neck with neck plate and all. A one bolt Greco LP is a different story though.  :-D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:11:39 PM by boybangs »
Google is your friend.

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »
A guitar crafted by Chuck Norris. There's only one in existence. I hear it was a bolt-on too.

Da TONE....
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
Da TONE....

The bolt-on was bolted with a lightning bolt.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
Very true...  But when comparing one guitar type from another, no bolt on guitars -- even the ones that are exceptional -- can rival the sustain of my gil yaron and baker firemodel#55 which of course are exceptional set necks.

wouldnt be complete without one.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
The bolt-on was bolted with a lightning bolt.

Pickup cavities routed with his teeth!
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars