hulika

Author Topic: Recording in your MP3 or MP4?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline drummer_boy17

• Philmusicus Addictus
Recording in your MP3 or MP4?
« on: September 23, 2006, 04:41:24 PM »
Guyz ok lang ba na gamitin itong pang record sa mga songs niyo?.. for example na record niyo na panu niyo i e-edit para mawala yun parang magulong tunog..?
FLY FAST PHOTOGRAPHY: Click Here

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
Here's my take lang on mp3:

Mp3 coding works on psychoacoustic coding principles wherein frequencies that are masked by a more dominant frequency are not included in the final coded mp3. As someone who prefers to hear every nuance of a sound, mp3 is a step downward in the wrong direction. I would prefer to record to wav then just convert to mp3. High frequencies usually suffer during the conversion process; reverbs are especially affected - they become 'grainy' and fadeouts aren't smooth. By recording straight to mp3, you are at the mercy of the codec built into the machine.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Direk

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:18:35 AM »
Kapatid, check-out the Apple IPod's hi-rez digital copies capability for your favorite demo discs instead of using just MP3.
    The high-resolution ripping option is AIFF stands for Apple's Interchange File Format. The format creates files that contain the raw audio data, channel information (monophonic or stereophonic), bit depth, and sample rate, as well as application-specific data areas, which allow different applications to add information to the file header that aren't removed when the files are processed by other applications—a feature of greater interest to folks who create music on their computers than to those of us transferring pre-recorded music to our storage media. In other words, AIFF is a memory hog, but it's an audiophile's kind of memory hog, since it throws away no data in an attempt to compress the file size.
    Ofcourse, you will be needing a program to capture AIF files, like Bias Peak 4.0 program.Goodluck!

Direk

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:55:01 AM »
re MP3:  mp3 is a lossy format.  like Kit said, the higher frequencies are taken out, and not subtly at that.  if you run an mp3 file through a frequency analyzer, you will see that there is absolutely no information in the higher frequencies.  if you really must, just mixdown the file to wav and then convert it to mp3 just like Kit's suggestion.  

i have read good things about Ogg Vorbis, which is also a lossy format, but not as lossy as mp3.  it seems that an ogg file of the same size as an mp3 will sound better than the mp3 (haven't heard it myself though).  

regarding your question, it would be best to record your tracks in AIFF or uncompressed PCM/wav format.  most DAW programs capture the tracks in this format (i don't know if cubase can be set to capture mp3 tracks).  

you can edit a stereo/mono wav or mp3 track using soundforge or similar apps.  note hat it is difficult to isolate instruments and/or noise when you are dealing with a stereo mix file.  to remix and/or isolate instruments or noise, you have to go back to the mix file in your DAW app.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744