hulika

Author Topic: Photography  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Jie

Photography
« on: February 04, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »
Guys, I want to get into photography..but don't know where to start.Is there any advise or suggestions? Perhaps hobby lang muna.
and one more thing, i don't have any equipment... what should i avoid?

Thanks!

She Is Everything To Me, The Unrequited Dream. A Song That No one Sings, The Unattainable. - Vermilion Prt.2

Offline vic24/7

Re: Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:40:46 AM »
hi, for a start, get a high-end point and shoot if you can, preferably in the prosumer level like the panasonic lumix fz50 or canon s3i, they are the best in their class, near dslr in features and image quality, you can't ask for more, telephoto lenses are fixed, you don't have to buy so many expensive lenses as in true dlsr camera to cover every shooting requirements. this saves you a lot of money.

for a sample of panasonic image quality see my site  :-D -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/visualenlightenment/

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:42:13 AM by vic24/7 »

Offline Jie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »
Thanks vic, compliments sa shots mo, just saw it..clear view. i need to learn the words how to describe photo works. paano nga ba i-describe ang kuha na maganda? para sa baguhan like me basta malinaw okay na but for sure there's more..like shadows, background etc..

i'll look around for a lumix fz50. i think magugustuhan ko.

Ano nga ba ang difference ng old type (is it called analog?) and digital types? and similarity?

Thanks ulit!

She Is Everything To Me, The Unrequited Dream. A Song That No one Sings, The Unattainable. - Vermilion Prt.2

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »
For black n white photography "tones" are important - the richness of the blacks and whites and shades of grey. Just like reading the Guitar Central forum. hehe!  :wink:
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline J.Dennis

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:55:07 AM »
hi, for a start, get a high-end point and shoot if you can, preferably in the prosumer level like the panasonic lumix fz50 or canon s3i, they are the best in their class, near dslr in features and image quality, you can't ask for more, telephoto lenses are fixed, you don't have to buy so many expensive lenses as in true dlsr camera to cover every shooting requirements. this saves you a lot of money.

for a sample of panasonic image quality see my site  :-D -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/visualenlightenment/

No offense meant but I would advice otherwise. Considering how inexpensive DSLRs are now a days, you can actually get an entry level model like the Nikon D40 or Canon 350D or 400D (would even be cheaper if you get them second hand). It may come in a kit (lens included) and well enough for a beginner to learn the basics. The price of a high-end, pro sumer  point-and-shoot camera would actually not be too far compared to an entry level DSLR.

One advantage of getting an (D)SLR is that you get to learn to be more creative in your shots not to mention a more comprehensive understanding of how "manual" mode shooting is, i.e. aperture in relation to shutter speed, ISO, etc. The kit lens is more than enough for one to learn the basics and would save the person from buying another camera if he/she feels its time to move up to the next and higher level of photography, which will surely happen soon once he/she gets hooked in to it whether as a hobby or as a profession. Sooner or later he/she will have to invest on lenses and it would be a relief to know that you'll only have to spend for it rather than buying another camera kit. Of course, you only heed this advice if you are serious about photography. It is no secret that photography tends to be one expensive hobby. Spending never ends! MaGAStos!  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:58:49 AM by J.Dennis »

Offline zabala1

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »
Suggestions lang po..

1. buy a booklet or PDA (pag rich ka! hehe), try mo sulat lahat ng mga natutunan mo dun at mga questions mo about photog... makakatulong yun.

2. join online pinoy photography groups.. like Phphoto, Pipho, DPP.. from them you can learn/ask them.

3. if your planning to use film.. bilhin mo yung may "manual mode" from that mode matututo ka sa pag set ng Aperture (F) at Shutter Speed (SS).. try mo yung nikon FM2 (classic fully manual slr), F80 (ok ito may Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Program mode at Manual mode).
kahit 50mm lens ok na yun.. start ka palang naman..

4. Kung Digital ka naman... kung kaya ng budget mo ng 2nd hand na DSLR bili ka na..
Nikon d70, d70s, d80,  d100. fuji S2pro ok din... (check mo mga specs sa www.dpreview.com)
kung out of budget ka.. try mo yung mga point & shoot na may manual mode... canon g2 - g4 meron na yata yun..

5. attend ka ng mga free seminars.. kung may pera ka attend ka ng basic photog..
i highly recommend http://joavilaphotography.com (kasi sya nagturo sa akin.. hehe)
pero magtanong tanong ka rin ng ibang mentor.. hehe!!

6. try mo rin mag-assist sa ibang photogs.. sa pag assist mo marami kang matutunan na teknik.. :D

:D

Offline kaffee

Photography: A Reading, my 5-cents' |worth| your time
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »
If you're considering resolution (aka megapixels) for digital cameras, I strongly suggest giving this New York Times article a read.
Check this out: Breaking the Myth of Megpixels
Note: The NYT requires registration (free)
If you don't have time to register--but I hope you do--try the author's blog
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/.
As mentioned above, dpreview.com is a good reference.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:36:52 AM by kaffee »

Offline zabala1

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:20:19 PM »
Pahabol..

wala sa pana yan.. nasa indian pa rin..  :-D

Offline J.Dennis

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:36:20 PM »
Pahabol..

Maski na anong galing ng indyan, kung baluktot naman ang napili nyang pana, sa palagay ko hindi sya tatama. :)

JDennis

Offline zabala1

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:43:12 PM »
dun ka hahanga.. pag tumama kahit baluktot ang pana..  :lol:

Pahabol..

Maski na anong galing ng indyan, kung baluktot naman ang napili nyang pana, sa palagay ko hindi sya tatama. :)

JDennis

Offline J.Dennis

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »
dun ka hahanga.. pag tumama kahit baluktot ang pana..  :lol:

Talagan namang nakaka-hanga yun kung mangyari man but that is more of an exception than a rule. Would you actually recommend that to a beginner? As the original poster was asking, he wants to know what the right equipment is for his chosen hobby. I don't think it's practical to just rely on sheer talent and not consider using the right tool. As the saying goes, "right tool for the right job". :)

I guess we really can't tell for now on what kind of photos the OP intend to take and judging from my experience, most people I know who have gotten into this hobby decided to hop into the DSLR bandwagon rather sooner than later. I don't think you would say it's perfectly ok to use a mobile phone camera no matter how high its resolution is if he intends to shoot sports or macro shots. Again, right tool for the right job! :)

JDennis

Offline Jie

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
Many thanks sa inyo guys, appreciate it. I'll consider everyone's thoughts and apply to my situation.  Intended purpose ko is to take musician(s) photos - studio and live.

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:49:09 PM »
Suggestion... for studio and live shots of musicians, (for the serious hobbyist...)

Get a Nikon D70s (42k), or D80 (57k)...

you can start out with the lens included in the package...

But, if you get really serious... buy a 50mm f/1.8 (6.5k) for your low-light onstage shots or musician's portraits... (cheap but very highly recommended)

then a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (65k 2nd hand) for your long range lens... (fast, sharp, and very expensive)

For flashes... get a Nikon SB-800 Speedlight (18k)... or a Sigma 500 Super (12k)

the kit lens of the D70s is a 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 (best kit lens around!)

the D80 has a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 (good range and optics but quite shaky when fully zoomed)

but... if you are on a budget... the Nikon D40 kit is a good camera to start with. around 28k brand new
in Hidalgo. Comes with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens... Then join online photo forums to search for 2nd hand
Nikon or Sigma AFS lenses... (some Nikon lenses are not compatible with the D40 though... like the 50mm f/1.8...)

*quoted prices are from some shops in Hidalgo...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:27:23 AM by Dindin »

Offline r0nd0gg

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 09:30:40 PM »
kung gusto mo matuto Film camera na luma ang ganmitin mo.. yung Nikon F hehehe.. Kung And Nikon D2x or Canon Mark 2 kukumpera mo na naka Apple kang PC ang Nikon F typewriter ang dating.. mas mabilis kang matututo at mas lalo mong maiintindihan mga basics ng Photography. dahil yung Basic Features ng Digital galing sa analog.. then gamit ka na nang Digital.  marami kasi ako na naka sabay na naka digital Sablay kumuha... hehehehe

Offline shutterbugjohn

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 03:09:39 AM »
kung gusto mo gumaling , mag film slr ka. wag mo sila pansinin. hehehe. e yun kung gusto mo gumaling. kunwari ang advice sau buy k ng d50 or d40
siguro 25-35k un. bili k na lang muna ng second hand camera. mga 5k meron dyan. tapos bili k films. basta maintindihan mo lang ung basic, what does this dial do, this setting etc etc. flash, metering, even taking pics without the meter, siguro di k naman aabot sa 25k bago matuto sa kabibili ng films. after nun, if u think u have the talent saka ka maginvest. opinion ko lang.
text me for inquiries: 0933.4371584
YM: DREJHM0828
http://www.facebook.com/guitar.love.repairs

Offline poetic_tragedy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »
wow! basa-basa lang dito...dami ko na natutunan.
thanks! :-)
Who should be blame when a leaf fell from a tree?...
Is it the wind that blew it away?
Or the tree that let it go? Or is it the leaf itself which never held tight?  *Mabuhay ang LOLATECHS 2007* "LOLA mo, LOLA ko...LOLA nating lahat!" - Boy Chillax