hulika

Author Topic: THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer  (Read 345147 times)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: JOHN MAYER - ok ba siya sayo?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Tomo Fujita?? hmmmm please tell me more bout him. nakakaintriga.
Tomo Fujita. EXTREMELY underrated guitar player/teacher at berkelee. John mayer's teacher. Extremely versatile guitarist. Studied with Joe Pass. Excellent tone, taste and phrasing. He was the guitarist in the original production of the musical "Rent" and wrote that funky guitar part on "Seasons of Love". Ganda ng 1st album niya "Put on your Funk Face" which i can't stop listening to.

His most famous tune "Just Funky":

Clip from his instructional video "Accelerate Your Guitar Playing":
feature=related

Playin at the Fuchs audio booth:
(blues)
(Soul-Jazz)

His youtube channel:
http://uk.youtube.com/user/TomoFujitaMusic

anyway, back to John mayer. Yeah. "Slow dancing in a burning room" is one of my favorite riffs to play and listen to!

Offline orangeogre

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 09:45:14 PM »
nuong una ayaw na ayaw ko si JM, kala ko nakiki- Dave Mathews lang sya, e sobrang trip ko si DMB.

Then, na basa ko ang totoong hilig nya. Blues. At napanuod ko pa sya sa YouTube. sabi ko "aba'y!"

John Mayer Trio ang nag cemento sa listahan ko ng magagaling na gitarista.

AT, isa din pala syang stand-up comic!

Mabuhay ka John Mayer, sana magkaroon ako ng sig series mong strat!  :mrgreen:

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
Tomo Fujita. EXTREMELY underrated guitar player/teacher at berkelee. John mayer's teacher. Extremely versatile guitarist. Studied with Joe Pass. Excellent tone, taste and phrasing. He was the guitarist in the original production of the musical "Rent" and wrote that funky guitar part on "Seasons of Love". Ganda ng 1st album niya "Put on your Funk Face" which i can't stop listening to.

His most famous tune "Just Funky":

Clip from his instructional video "Accelerate Your Guitar Playing":
feature=related

Playin at the Fuchs audio booth:
(blues)
(Soul-Jazz)

His youtube channel:
http://uk.youtube.com/user/TomoFujitaMusic

anyway, back to John mayer. Yeah. "Slow dancing in a burning room" is one of my favorite riffs to play and listen to!

oo nga noh. sounds a lot like john. pati ung banda medjo similar sa timpla niya nung Any Given Thursday at Room for squares. Kasi may keyboard na similar ang tone. Tapos strat user pa.

Ang main difference na napansin ko ay walang vocals. I think John Mayer is also an underrated vocalist. He writes beautiful songs and sings them from the heart kaya pag dating sa gitara perfect ang timpla.. eto example. best example

please watch

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 09:16:48 AM »
i started appreciating the blues way back '96 when i was 26 thu SRV, Clapton, Hendrix and BB king. i used to play the bass with my band and just play... but last year, when i started playing again (now with the guitar), this kid (JM), gave me a different perspective of the Blues.. now, i just like how he plays, and i think i wanted to play the way he does.. a little SRV influence, nice. specially when i discovered my hands were meant for a strat or a tele... funny lang how he looks like when he feels the blues while playing..

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:50:42 AM by the_Nong »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
I really dont think John Mayer is underrated at all. He is known pretty much for his guitar playing and singing. I think hindi lang masyado naaappreciate ng majority ng listeners nya yung technicality ng ginagawa nya. For most of them its just, "pang chiks to ah". :D The guy's a genius.
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:39 PM »
I really dont think John Mayer is underrated at all. He is known pretty much for his guitar playing and singing. I think hindi lang masyado naaappreciate ng majority ng listeners nya yung technicality ng ginagawa nya. For most of them its just, "pang chiks to ah". :D The guy's a genius.

+1K hehehehe.. ganun naman talaga eh, pag hawak mo gitara, "pang chiks to..." hehehehehe.. but seriously, at first, i thought he wa the "Michael Franks" of the millennium.. but he's just himself with a little SRV influence..

Offline daryl090804

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
any of us forumites + the girl of your dreams + john mayer playing in the background = girl going "awwwww...=)"  :-D
Part of the Jackson Bloodline

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:13 PM »
oo nga noh. sounds a lot like john. pati ung banda medjo similar sa timpla niya nung Any Given Thursday at Room for squares. Kasi may keyboard na similar ang tone. Tapos strat user pa.

Ang main difference na napansin ko ay walang vocals. I think John Mayer is also an underrated vocalist. He writes beautiful songs and sings them from the heart kaya pag dating sa gitara perfect ang timpla.. eto example. best example

please watch

More like, John sounds A LOT like tomo hehe

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
More like, John sounds A LOT like tomo hehe

eto kaya . ..

clapton+tomo+SRV=john mayer

ay teka

to kaya? clapton+tomo+srv+Dave matthews!=John mayer?? hahahhahahaha

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
eto kaya . ..

ay teka

Actually, a lot of people go "SRV clone lang yan" or "Clapton clone lang yan"

even if it were true

He's one of the best people around the music scene at channelin that vibe.

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
eto kaya . ..

ay teka

joke lang yan ah...

he's got influences from the three and he kinda sounded like dave matthews when he did room for squares but the bottom line is, he's his own musician. He's not trying to copy anyone, but he can't help it if naemulate nya sila kung minsan kasi malaki influence niya sa kanya (ewan ko kung kasama jan si Dave Matthews).

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 01:43:59 AM »
my idol =) kaya ako bumili ng mayer strat eh =) baka magaya ko tunog nya and guess what?

wala pa rin akong kakwenta kwenta mag gitara =) hahahaha sabi ng kapit bahay namin mag drums na lang daw ako hahahahhaa

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 03:20:30 AM »
Saw him at the San Jose HP Pavillion. He's great to see live. He's a funny man and he's got his own style.

Ang mahirap nga lang kasi eh hindi maiiwasan na i-compare at i-relate and style ng isang musikero sa ibang musikero. The new generation who don't really listen to blues now have him to thank for introducing it to them, however he plays it.

He's ok by my book.
Bakit hindi ka pwedeng mapuyat sa umaga?

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjason  http://twitter.com/bryanjason

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 03:21:37 AM »
ibang klase si mayer, ganda ng tone at phrasing.. aral din kasi sa berkeley ang mokong.. malamang malupit din sa music theory kaya ganun mga lines. Super idol ko, contemporary songwriting plus a lot of the old school SRV and BB King feel for me. whew.

schnitzerz4, magkano mayer strat? as in signature model yan? gusto ko rin...

btw, mayer uses semi-hollow with humbuckers also, pero ibang klase talaga tone nya sa single coils.. anybody knows what kind of pickups he uses? I placed fenderlace sensors on my guitar alang-alang kay sir eric clapton. ano kaya gamit ni JM?
Thank God for music..
LF: Fender Frontman 25r

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:05 AM »
ibang klase si mayer, ganda ng tone at phrasing.. aral din kasi sa berkeley ang mokong.. malamang malupit din sa music theory kaya ganun mga lines. Super idol ko, contemporary songwriting plus a lot of the old school SRV and BB King feel for me. whew.

schnitzerz4, magkano mayer strat? as in signature model yan? gusto ko rin...

btw, mayer uses semi-hollow with humbuckers also, pero ibang klase talaga tone nya sa single coils.. anybody knows what kind of pickups he uses? I placed fenderlace sensors on my guitar alang-alang kay sir eric clapton. ano kaya gamit ni JM?

Big Dipper single-coil Stratocaster pickups

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 03:27:14 AM »
Big Dipper single-coil Stratocaster pickups

nice, would u know if any are available here? :-)
Thank God for music..
LF: Fender Frontman 25r

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 05:20:08 AM »
Well, to get it out of the way, I'm a HUGE fan...

contribute lang ako ng konting info na alam ko.

Yung big dipper pups, I'm not sure if It's available separately. Only place you can find them in is ebay... meaning kinarne cuz those pups only come with the John Mayer sig strat... which leads me to an answer to one question posted....

yes may sig strat si john mayer. may shoreline gold w racing stripe, charcoal frost with stripe din (limited to 100), 3tone burst, cypress mica (limited din), and alpine white. around 1500++ dollars.

I guess for most of us forum members who are deeply into music and guitar playing, we'll appreciate mayer. most of those who diss him initially are the purists. Sometimes those who hate pop... hey it's hard to make a pop song IMO hehehe but then they miss out on that thing that we see in him... his skill in playing guitar, songwriting, and overall musicianship. He's awesome. great guitar player. If you do the whole research re his music career and life, you'll be surprised and you'll appreciate him more. ibang klase tlaga.

The comparisons will always be there but John mayer is John mayer much like you are you and kaw lang ang nakakagawa ng musika na mula sayo. It's inevitable that our influences will show in our playing. It doesn't mean we're not unique.

Aliw nga si Tomo he posted in a forum how happy he was when John handed hiim a sig strat as a gift. aliw...

I guess he is underrated in the sense that he doesn't get enough recognition as a serious, skillfull and talented artist... much more as a blues player. His early career writing AWESOME pop songs may have somehow "tarnished" his "credibility" to be taken seriously by SOME people. I'm just glad that in the music circle here and internationally, they see it and RECOGNIZE. Playing on the stage with the blues greats is I guesse enough proof that he's bein taken seriously.

hayop si John. I'm such a fan I TRY to buy what I can from his setup haha  :lol:

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 06:49:27 AM »
nice, would u know if any are available here? :-)

Where is here for you?

I can say that its available where I am. Where you at? I'm in San Francisco.

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
Where is here for you?

I can say that its available where I am. Where you at? I'm in San Francisco.

2 years na ako fan ni JM at 2 years na din ako halos nagaabang dito sa classifieds para may magbenta ng big dippers. eh ang texas specials bihirang bihira na lumabas, lampas 5k pa ang set hahahhaahah... libre lang mangarap.
ipon na lang ako at baka bumili kung may mahanap pag balik ko ng US of A if ever we go back.

Offline adok

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 06:58:37 AM »
i really like his first album, not so much the others (well i didnt listen to them much, didnt like the singles that much)

but when i heard the john mayer trio (i think that was the 1st blues album, live recording pa nga un) i was like wow. i never really expected him to play blues, ewan ko lang. but im definitely glad he did

Offline awitee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2008, 07:11:42 AM »
ok ung si john mayer, sobrang nagustuhan ko ung john mayer trio haha, daming beses ko pinakinggan ung album nila hehe
ung first album d ko shado trip eh, parang mas pop ang dating para sakin hehe
pero galing tlga :evil:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Heart>>Technique>>Guitar>>effects>>amp\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
ok ung si john mayer, sobrang nagustuhan ko ung john mayer trio haha, daming beses ko pinakinggan ung album nila hehe
ung first album d ko shado trip eh, parang mas pop ang dating para sakin hehe
pero galing tlga :evil:

when he covered "everyday i have the blues", did he use a 335? pati din sa "try!" no? 335 ata...

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »
adding up to lovecore, John uses an over-reliced SRV fender strat.. am i right?

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
adding up to lovecore, John uses an over-reliced SRV fender strat.. am i right?

ang alam ko, it's a custom shop relic made for him. dito ko rin nabasa sa forum lang un. i hope someone can clear that up  :-D

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
I'm one of the few that thinks his best album is still his first album (room for squares or yung acoustic album almost pareho naman songs).  What got me hooked was his killer lines like "Most my memories have escaped me or confused themselves with dreams", awesome songwriting and creativity, swak ang mga lyrics.  Yun I think is where his true genious is - music that when you hear you can relate to, lalo na mga bedroom / aspiring musicians.

Nagulat nga ako when I heard dun sa concert na blues pala ang style nya.  Malaking plus sakin syempre.  Not to mention iilan na lang ang pag-pinanood mo ng live eh sobrang galing magperform at hindi repetitive. 
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture