hulika

Author Topic: 4 PIECE ARMY!!!  (Read 8680 times)

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
4 PIECE ARMY!!!
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
For all minimalist here, let's unite!!!! Seriously, do we need monstrous kit??? Hahaha!! Tabi-tabi po sa mga Portnoy Fans.

Reasons for going 4 Piece
1. I can keep everything closer to me.
2. I can play the ride with arms down.
3. Almost every Bar here in the Philippines have 4 piece set up. So i need to get used to it.

4 Piece Soldier Sandy Reporting Sir!!!

22" Kick
10" Rack tom
14" Floor tom
Snare drum Varies

I also tried this very comfy set up. Ang wierd ng feel!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:49:39 AM by drumster »
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: 4 PIECE ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
The 4-piece kit is the staple set-up.  More or less, almost all drumset drummers would go through this basic setup.  Somehow, it's a classic, industry-standard setup.

I grew up using a 4-piece setup.  My first kit was a 5-piece kit.  But I removed the second rack tom.  I thought that the 4-piece setup is the industry standard, is the most versatile, and it challenges me (up until now) to be creative out of a few pieces of drums.  And I also like the fact that the ride cymbal can be positioned closer to me.

I still dream of having a multi-tom drumkit someday.  But somehow, we will still come home and play on a basic, less-is-more 4-piece kit.

Offline Cris

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
tanong ko lang sir, ano po ba ung usual size ng mga toms sa four piece??
14" at 16"? o 12" at 16"? pwede rin ba ung 12" at 14" parang fusion?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
A traditional 4-piece drumkit consists of a 14" snare drum, a 13" rack tom, a 16" floor tom, and a bass drum. 

Bass drum size varies.  During the pre-war era, drumsets are actually contraptions made up of drums, cymbals and sound effects put together (hence the term trapset, or traps for short).  The first drumsets were marching drums and stuff put together.  Thanks to the invention of the bass drum pedal, the idea of a drummer playing many percussion instruments at the same time was born.

Going back to bass drum sizes... The first drumsets used those huge marching bass drums, which are more or less 28" in diameter.  Drummers during the pre-war era got tired of lugging around huge bass drums, so they requested the drum manufacturers to make small bass drums.  The 18" bass drums were introduced.

During the 60's, rock music became mainstream, and drummers want bigger drum sounds.  22" drum sizes became the industry standard since then.

Oops I got carried away... Nag-kwento na ako about bass drums.  :-D  Anyway...

Regarding the tom sizes...  Currently, choice of tom sizes is up to the drummer's preference and/or the style of music.  It can be a 12" rack/16" floor combo, or a 12"/14", or a 10"/14", or a 10"/16", or a 13"/18"...  It depends!  There are no written rules to follow.  8-)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:46:47 AM by drumster »

Offline Cris

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:28:58 PM »
waw galeng.. thank you sir sa info... :lol:

Offline otep

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:57:09 PM »
haha ako din eh

4pc din ako ngaun hehe, kasi yun nga napansin ko, halos lahat ng church na natutugtugan namin 4 pc lang ang kit,

saka i agree with sir dio, im challenging my self myself to be musical with minimal things,

4 now my set up  is

20" bass drum
12" tom
16" floor tom
14" snare

18" and 16" crash
14" hats

before eto set up ko e

20" bass drum
10" tom
12"tom
13" tom
16" floor tom

16(2x) and 18 crashes
10" splash
18" china

haha medyo minimal talaga ako ngayon hehe

Offline glynminded

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 01:40:31 AM »
Back then I always used a 5 piece kit... I remember when we had gigs and the setup was a 4 piece... I always asked for the missing rack tom... It always pissed off the technician coz they would go find it in some storage room ahahaha... the transition of the hands with the toms far from each other was very difficult for me... that was until the time I grew up more and I learned to do much more creative fills that didn't need all the toms... that's when I decided to go 4-piece... ahaha... now everytime there's a gig and the setup is a 5 piece, I would remove the second rack tom ahaha... sometimes it still pisses the technicians coz I bother them "tol pakitabi naman kung saan baka mawala" ahahaha... back then I really enjoyed with a 5 piece, now I enjoy playing with 4 piece.
I didn\'t know you can watch dreams in a theater?!

Offline greysky

Re: 4 PIECE ARMY!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
same setup here
im also using a 4 piece setup
and yes, one of my reason also is to keep the ride closer to me
 :-D
"If you can't accept losing, you can't win!"

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
Wow, so most of us using the Traditional set-up wants the ride closer....

Pwede naman mag5 piece na malapit ang ride, parang naka-floor na rin yung mid-tom.

Eto nga rin pala set-up ko sa bahay

22" BD
10" Tom
16" Floor tom
14" Snare

14" Zbt Pro Hi-hats
20" Zbt Pro Ride

yung crash ko nevermind na lang hehehe....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline RazeLJoeY

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
i agree with daemonite..

22" Bass
10" Tom
14" Snare
16" Floor Tom naman ako..
*im planning to hang my 13" tom beside the floor tom..parang set-up ng DDrums pero instead of 14" tom e 13" tom lang..ganun..

Hi-hats, Crash and Ride..

for me naman i like less drums and more cymbals..
kaso kulang pa ung cymbals ko e..ipon pa ko..

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
My thumbs were sored from setting up my drum kit this morning, and it took me 3 hours before I was able to sound-test....not yet finished until now. :-P.... with my cybals stands....

feels like I wanna join this army! :-D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 02:54:51 PM by Bammbamm »
So Be It.

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
i'm in.:)
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »
i think im slowly turning into the 4 piece army..

i have to admit, i can play alot easier!

pero...ala eh trip ko parin talaga 6 piece

pag gig siguro 4 piece para less hassle
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline RazeLJoeY

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
tama si intake..masmadali nga pumalo pag simple ang set..

count me in..

Offline alvin_11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »
yeah mga pare..pasensya na sa pag epal ko pero 4pcs. din ang set up ko

22" bass drum
14" snare
14" floor tom
10" rack tom

cymbals:
ride (kasing baba nung floor tom, mga 2' lang ang angat sa floor tom)
crash 18" sa taas ng ride
crash
hats..

alvin.

Offline cymor

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
I myself am using a 4 piece kit...but 2 cymbals only Hatz and a Crash..pati po tambourine..

tapos nakatambak lng po ung isa kong tOM...wahehe
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:54:50 AM by cymor »
"No crab shall witness my downfall for I will always be victorious" - aaroncymor

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 02:04:07 PM »
im very proud to say that im a true blue 4-piece army card carrying member

2 cymbals + 2 drums = 4

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
Yep, dahil laging 4-piece kits ang nasa mga studio, yun na ang nakasanayan ko.

Offline compvr

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 09:41:59 PM »
4 piece din pero 5  minsan:

14" snare
10" rack
14" floor
20" kick

pansin ko lang mas creative ako pag 4 piece lang, mas kumportable din kasi malapit yung ride, mas madali mag tono kasi nabawasan ng isang itotono  :-D

pero minsan naiisip ko sayang yung isang tom hindi nagagamit kaya kinakabit ko ulit.
Arguing with a fool proves there are two.                   Doris M. Smith

------------------------ supervoodoo

Offline angrybrain

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
my 4-piece arsenal:

bago-bago pa B8's ko nyan...
mitello yung drum set ko (generic na, 2nd hand pa) na pinalitan ko lang yung balat.

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »
same here.. 4 piece, mas simple...dati nagagalit pa utol ko pag inaalis ko yung isang rack tom (sa kanya kase yung drumset), hanggang sa napagod din sya kakabalik ng toms...yun, ngaun 4 piece na din sya...

Offline dreamtheaterfan66f

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 04:18:09 PM »
gusto ko nga masanay nito e. kc un nga usualy mga house kits 4 piece lng kng d man nsa baba ung isang rack tom. bihira ako mkkta ng my traditional na 5 piece na nsa taas tlg ung rack toms. nagpost nga ko sa pinoydrums na yahoo group dti kng pano masanay sa four piece e. nagstart kc tlg ko sa 5 piece and gusto ko tlg ng 7 or 8 piece un ang ideal set ko. pero gusto ko masanay sa 4. tma un nkakachallenge tlg pg 4 piece. sarap cgro kng sanay ka sa 4 piece tpos basic setup lng pti cymbals. hats crash and ride.

*NO text spelling please. Please visit forum guidelines.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:15:56 PM by Akira JUMBO »

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »

pero hindi sakin yung bass drum hehehe hiram ko lang wala akong sariling bass drum  :-D anglabo no ?

Offline manson

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
hello. Sir drumster I got a question.

Since math in an integral part of drumming or music for that matter. what would be the effects of using a 5 piece kit compared to a 4 piece? I mean 5 is a prime number so does that affect your overall drum "vocabulary" compared to a 4 piece set up? or even a 7 piece kit? just a thought... :-D
power in numbers!!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
Hey bro manson!

Hmm I think it doesn't matter that significantly, in terms of drumming vocabulary.  It just depends on what you play on the drumkit and how you play it.  Even with just a single snare drum, there are so many possible things to play on that single piece of instrument, whether viewed in a mathematical, rudimental, artistic, or musical aspect.  Same goes for, say, a hi-hat.  Or a kick and snare.  Or a kick and snare and hat.  Or a ride and hat.  And so forth.  Or even on a Bozzio-style monster kit!

So, the effect of using a 5-piece kit compared to a 4-piece kit?  With a 5-piece kit, you simply have one more voice or instrument, which is often an additional tom.

But there are some who have far-out thinking regarding drum setups and its relation with numbers, such as Danny Carey of Tool.  I read one of his old Modern Drummer interviews, and he said his drum set-up has a sense of balance due to his 5 toms (his old Roto-tom counted) and his 6 electronic pads.  Five represents masculinity and six represents femininity... Something like that.  Strange.  :-D

From the Tool site - http://www.toolband.com/identity/index.html

"Danny then set up his drums into proportions utilizing the circle and square of the New Jerusalem and uttered a short prayer relating to the principles of the ace of swords from the book of Thoth. He then performed a ritual utilizing his new found knowledge of the unicursal hexagram to generate a pattern of movement in space relating to Fuller's vector equilibrium model."

Yes, the awesome Danny Carey is quite a strange man.  8-)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 05:51:42 AM by drumster »