hulika

Author Topic: About Wild Rolling (i.e. pagwawala) to Close a Gig  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
About Wild Rolling (i.e. pagwawala) to Close a Gig
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
need your opinion, fellow forumites...

sabi ng kaibigan ko di daw bagay sa akin yung pag-rolling ko tuwing patapos na ang kanta pag tumutugtog kami ng live.  di niya maexplain-explain, perhaps since he's a guitarist and more of an observer.   pero sabi ko sa kanya style ko yun ever since, and the last part of some of my bands' songs, when used to close live gigs, are an opportunity to free-style...magsolo ng kung anu-anong s**t, basically magwala on stage though not on the same level of the who, of course.   :-P  in other words, proper form and melody is not important in these situations (though others may feel differently kaya ko ginawa ang thread na ito), it's more about going wild to work the crowd.

sa tingin ko eto ang mga dahilan kung bakit di daw bagay sa akin ang "pagwawala" style of rolling pagkatapos ng gig:

1.  i'm a soft-spoken guy offstage.
2.  i don't look like the typical hard rock musician. 
3.  while i idolize the likes of keith moon and joey jordison, i'm more of a meat-and-potatoes charlie watts-type drummer in terms of style.

but then again...if the song calls for it, why not?  and it's part of getting a reaction from the crowd...forgetting the "art" of music for just a few seconds and replacing it with pure caveman instinct.   is this style of ending live gigs for everybody, or is it a case-to-case basis based on the drummer's persona and skills?

need your opinion, fellow drummers.  maraming salamat! :-D
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: About Wild Rolling (i.e. pagwawala) to Close a Gig
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
show vids!

Offline dolfmen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
sakin depende kung napagusapan na all out yung tugtog o kaya pagganun talga yung kanta at puedeng singitan ng angst.  :lol:

Offline curry

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
as long as the audience liked it  :-D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:15:24 AM by curry »

Offline NATSBRATS

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
IMO, controlled pa rin yung mga palo sa ganyang situation. Not just banging randomly sa drumkit. May coordination at pattern yan. Saka nandun parin yung musicallity when you play that part in a gig.  :-)

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
actually, everyone has made a good point.  yes, even about the videos...unfortunately di pa nauupload yung video mula sa last gig ng isang band ko...

i asked another casual observer - my girlfriend, who's seen me play live several times with different bands.  sabi niya, "steady lang, let your playing speak for itself."  in other words, don't let any wild stage antics distract from my actual skills...or lack thereof. 

since naglulurk ako kung minsan sa GC, i couldn't help but remember MrGobots' thread about the two types of guitarists - the one who plays to impress and the one who plays to express.  siguro naging guilty din ako of the former, which is not good at all since i don't have the chops to back up my showmanship...

pero tama din si curry, if the audience likes it in general, why try to fix something that isn't broke?

hoping to see more replies...thanks for the insight so far! :-D
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
basta bagay sa kanta and hindi sagabal sa experience nung audience, okay siya.
may banda ako na napanood dati, halos every song tinapos nila with a so-called "wild rolling".
hindi bagay. hehehe.
hindi na maka-relate yung audience members na hindi musically-inclined or musikero.
sa ganung sitwasyon, nakasira yung "wild roling".

sa topic naman ng "the one who plays to impress and the one who plays to express" i think argument lang siya ng mga gitarista.
para sa akin as a drummer magagawa mo naman ng sabay yun e.
pwede kang maka-impress ng tao just by expressing what you feel. lagyan mo lang ng konting finesse and don't overdo it.
:-D

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »

i guess its all about having fun, since very few of us actually achieve "musical success" ... might as well just do everything you fantasize about

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
it depends for me...kung maganda yung set (if it feels really really good) namin nagkakaron din ako ng wild rolling moment sa last song ng walang sabi sabi hehehe. otherwise, i just end the song, pack up and sneak out quietly  :cry:

i just do it on the last song to let off some steam

Offline nepenthe

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 07:39:26 AM »
ayun.subscribed :D

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
wag lang masyadong mahaba,,, na halos ng kabanda mo masama na tingin sa yo... he he he  guilty rin ako dito...  :|

Offline drummaniac

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
^ its true! too much of everything is not good. hehehe...

Offline kssael

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »
Hindi ako ganun masyado. Just cymbal swells and a band close will do.
-kssael

Offline Justin Maulit

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 02:41:51 AM »
I won't be doing it at the end of every song specially pag 10 songs ang tutugtugin. And every time I'd do it, I won't do it for a long time. I was watching this drummer once who did a "wild rolling" ending and he did it particularly for a long time hanggang sa lahat na ng tao nakatitig na sakanya. As long as the ending sounds good and it supplements the song then go for it  :-D