hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 56467 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
oh another tone thread  :lol:

maybe Great DIRTY tone isnt always's expensive

but who said great tone should be expensive?  :lol:

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
oh another tone thread  :lol:

maybe Great DIRTY tone isnt always's expensive

but who said great tone should be expensive?  :lol:

i kno :-D

oi thanks for the file man, its wunderful :-D
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
Not great tone to me.  Sounds like any generic processed shredder tone from a Line 6.  The great sounding tube amps that do metal with high gain (they cost money) do NOT sound as one dimensional and too compressed na nawawala na ang character ng gitara.  

Also, he never tested the guitar on clean.  Because on clean, you can hear if the guitar sounds lame -- lacking sustain, too bright or too bassy, one dimensional sounding (parang manipis), no resonance, no dynamic pick attack, etc. The guitars that are not lame sounding are actually built by people with years of experience with guitar building (they ALSO cost money).  

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
Not really surprising for me. But that's only because I got to watch Jack White doing this in the opening of It Might Get Loud:

Now I remember why it was familiar :lol:

What I've learned over the years is that expensive ≠ great tone always.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
i kno :-D

oi thanks for the file man, its wunderful :-D

yeah be extra careful when using that thing,

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:56 PM »
just finished watching it might get loud lol twas inspiring to see jack white with crummy gear but still remain impressive.

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
hafta hear it on clean tone first :)

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
Not great tone to me.  Sounds like any generic processed shredder tone from a Line 6.  The great sounding tube amps that do metal with high gain (they cost money) do NOT sound as one dimensional and too compressed na nawawala na ang character ng gitara.  

Also, he never tested the guitar on clean.  Because on clean, you can hear if the guitar sounds lame -- lacking sustain, too bright or too bassy, one dimensional sounding (parang manipis), no resonance, no dynamic pick attack, etc. The guitars that are not lame sounding are actually built by people with years of experience with guitar building (they ALSO cost money).  

This. :-)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:44:29 PM by constipation »

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
just finished watching it might get loud lol twas inspiring to see jack white with crummy gear but still remain impressive.
He was stepping all over his plastic airline, pero ang lupet parin. Nothing wrong with a little/lots of dirt here and there and seems like it can pull off a little of The Black Keys, etc.
BTW, nagdisband na nga pala yung The White Stripes. :(

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
Sige naway dito rin naman babagsak ito ilalatag kona ang very good example..

SEASICK STEVE..

The TONE IS IN THE HEART wala sa kahit ano pang instrumento, kung wala sa puso natin ang pagtugtug nito wala rin lahat balewala din kahit ano pang insrumento... hehehe opinyun ko lang naman ito  :-)

Ganun lang kasimple yun. :-)

Offline Silaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 02:18:50 PM »
Not really surprising for me. But that's only because I got to watch Jack White doing this in the opening of It Might Get Loud:

For the video posted by the TS, it's impressive but not profound. And it would've been nice to hear a clean sound on another amp because I think the Spider really did help a lot with the sound. We can marvel at it all we want, but how many of us can honestly say that we would go out and gig with such a thing unless we deliberately wanted to showcase it?

i love this film. yun lang.
didn't jack white say that he had a plastic-bodied guitar that he uses for gigs?
Could I have been anyone other than me?
Could I have been anyone?

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
Cleans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4

wow! damn! galing mo naman maghalukay.. :-o :? galing ng science and nature..

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »
Cleans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4

hmm may piezo? hmm di kaya baka dinaan sa piezo preamp kaya ganun tumunog? :D
nevertheless, amazing video pa rin :)

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
if he played a song on it instead of just riffing and noodling i can probably appreciate it more.  minsan nakakarinde pag puro akyat baba lang.  i need to hear groove

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »

i love this film. yun lang.
didn't jack white say that he had a plastic-bodied guitar that he uses for gigs?

Airline (yes, it's plastic - or so they say) :D

Offline mintzkie009

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
i agree, hnd niya sinubukan mag clean sound. i'm 99% convinced, the rest 1% ay ang clean sound na hnd niya ginawa.
if ever man na malinis talaga clean sound niya at walang sabit, maghahanap nlng ako ng lumang bangko para gumawa ng gitara. hehehe.
"All is Well"

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »

yeah. he has.. an interesting attitude, lalo na compared sa mga iba pa in the movie :-)

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
i just made the header the title of the video itself. i didnt say that it was that great but i was shocked that it came from a plank of wood.

just sharing something i saw :)

not good but not that bad too :) yeah i know it doesn't have a swirl when you sustain like a thousand dollar guitar.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:42:14 PM by 7stringmachine »
Dang! someone just got schooled:)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
Well, I think:
1. the guy is a great guitar player so that always helps optimize for better tone. i bet you i'll suck thru that guitar. LOL.
2. the tone was ok, not great, but ok. however, i've heard high end guitars played thru high end amps that sounded worse than that, both live and on record.
3. it only 'proves' my theory that with electric guitars, pickups/electronics are the most important factor, not the wood. The intro segment by Jack White on It Might Get Loud proved this too. if you wanna go electric, be prepared for the fact that wood, design, construction, and even setup will take a backseat to the pickups and electronics. if you wanna believe it's all about wood, you should play acoustic instead.

I bet nobody would have guessed the guitar if he didn't do the "reveal". Some people would have guess it was an Ibby or even more expensive guitar.

Loved the movie but hated how Jack White was featured in it. The movie is a guitar player's dream GAS-inducing documentary and there he is being a gear-Luddite, playing piano (WTF?! guitar nga e, GUITAR!!!), being weird and sh*t. He's a great musician and I love that we both love Son House and Delta blues but his affectations were very distracting. Eh mas bihis na bihis pa siya kay Jimmy Page (an Englishman at that!) and Edge (an Irish, so it goes w/o saying. LOL) eh!  It's an act.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:52:33 PM by deltaslim »

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
Loved the movie but hated how Jack White was featured in it. The movie is a guitar player's dream GAS-inducing documentary and there is being a gear-Luddite, playing piano (WTF?! guitar nga e, GUITAR!!!), being weird and sh*t. He's a great musician and I love that we both love Son House and Delta blues but his affectations were very distracting. Eh mas bihis na bihis pa siya kay Jimmy Page (an Englishman at that!) and Edge (an Irish, so it goes w/o saying. LOL).

I agree. He was too strong a personality in the movie.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »

3. it only 'proves' my theory that with electric guitars, pickups/electronics are the most important factor, not the wood. The intro segment by Jack White on It Might Get Loud proved this too. if you wanna go electric, be prepared for the fact that wood, design, construction, and even setup will take a backseat to the pickups and electronics. if you wanna believe it's all about wood, you should play acoustic instead.

amen!!!  i just roll my eyes when players claim they can tell the diff between tonewoods in electric guitar, even with all that gain. 

Offline Silaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »

Loved the movie but hated how Jack White was featured in it. The movie is a guitar player's dream GAS-inducing documentary and there is being a gear-Luddite, playing piano (WTF?! guitar nga e, GUITAR!!!), being weird and sh*t. He's a great musician and I love that we both love Son House and Delta blues but his affectations were very distracting. Eh mas bihis na bihis pa siya kay Jimmy Page (an Englishman at that!) and Edge (an Irish, so it goes w/o saying. LOL).

true. but then they were going for an eclectic mix - but not too eclectic. 3 generations, different styles, different perceptions. the gas part and the different-styles part would probably be better served by casting a young metal player instead, or even a sessionist, but i think the film's feel would be very different from what they were trying to achieve.
Could I have been anyone other than me?
Could I have been anyone?

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
Great! Very clever. But I think the guitar will be a little bit hard to play live especially standing-up just for the sole reason that the guitar doesn't bear your standard guitar body which means...no arm rest..haha! :evil:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:04:41 PM by guitarwiz02 »
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
I bet nobody would have guessed the guitar if he didn't do the "reveal". Some people would have guess it was an Ibby or even more expensive guitar.

+100  :-D