hulika

Poll

What do I do?

Rewind the stock speaker.
1 (33.3%)
Get the two Jensens and have them reconed.
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: April 26, 2006, 05:17:10 AM

Author Topic: To rewind or not to rewind; that is the question  (Read 1672 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
To rewind or not to rewind; that is the question
« on: April 26, 2006, 05:17:10 AM »
One of the speakers in my bassman 10 buzzes when I play. The amp guy who repaired my amp suggested that I have it rewound in Raon so that it won't buzz anymore. Thing is, I'm quite afraid that it might affect the tone IMMENSELY.

Also, one guy texted me saying that he has 2 Jensen speakers that need their "papel" replaced. I'm assuming that this is a recone job and I'm also considering it as an option. He's selling it at 1500php a pair. Is it a good deal or is it a big risk?

A replacement is also another thing but then again, where do I buy them?

What do you guys suggest? I know that rewinding the speakers will definitely decrease the vintage value of this amp but I don't really mind. I bought it to function like an amp and not as a piece of jewelry to be sold at a higher value at a later time.

Your insights and experiences would definitely help me in finalizing my decision regarding my amp's speakers. Thanks.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline markflo

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:22:45 AM »
ask around nalang muna men...i think the best solution is to hunt for brand new speakers...para ala nang problema ... speakers aren't one of those things wherein you can "test" them in the sellers place eh...so kinda risky...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:25:20 AM »
Quote from: markflo
ask around nalang muna men...i think the best solution is to hunt for brand new speakers...para ala nang problema ... speakers aren't one of those things wherein you can "test" them in the sellers place eh...so kinda risky...

Yeah good point. Pero alam mo naman sa thrid world country. Kahit may pambili, walang bibilihan.

Keep em coming guys!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:29:34 AM »
If the repairman knows the number of turns, gauge, and core wire specs of your speaker, chances are the speaker can be restored.

The problem with reconing is the different weights of all speaker cones.  Not very easy to replace, if your goal is to restore the speaker to its original sound.

Offline markflo

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 05:29:39 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco
Quote from: markflo

Yeah good point. Pero alam mo naman sa thrid world country. Kahit may pambili, walang bibilihan.

Keep em coming guys!

baka pwede ka paship galing online store?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:11:22 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
If the repairman knows the number of turns, gauge, and core wire specs of your speaker, chances are the speaker can be restored.

The problem with reconing is the different weights of all speaker cones.  Not very easy to replace, if your goal is to restore the speaker to its original sound.

++1 . If your goal is just to have a working, decent speaker at a minimum price, then a rewind/recone can't be beat.

Tawaran mo pa yung jensens. Personally, I'd snatch them if he gave it at 1,000 a pair. You'd have to consider na medyo basura na yun in that state, and that you can get local instrument speakers for less than 2,000 bux. 18", 180 Watts na yun. Cheaper pa pag mas maliit.

Wait...I found my CEdist catalog...Jensen came out with a new line of low-cost drivers. The 70 watt version costs $36 apiece. The 120 watts cost $50 apiece. This is for the "Mod" line.

Wow look at this. Jensen sells vintage Jensen recone kits, they range from 21 dollars to 46 dollars. Recone kit pa lang, kasing mahal na ng buong driver !

Try mo na lang yung recone/rewind. It's the best you can do short of buying a new speaker. Very cheap pa, less than P200 lang ang operasyon na yun.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »
I get my stuff from www.cedist.com . They won't display the pricing though if you're not a member and will be directed instead to their sister retail site. Look over there. Kumpleto...everything you might want or need, tubes, knobs, drivers, even grillcloths and amp badges.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »
Pre... kung talagang lab mo yong spkrs mo, pa-rewind mo. Pero, kung ako sa iyo, bibili na lang ako ng bago. Online ship nalang.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »
Hey thanks for all the tips! My problem with ordering online is that I don't have a credit card. I'm still figuring out how to send an int'l money order through the local banks, though.

About rewinding: you mean to say that he has to identify the gauges and the turns, etc. before he can really restore it? How long would that take?

I'm also considering the recone job for the pair - I might use it kasi as speakers for an extension cab. :)

Thanks again and keep the info coming.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 08:40:17 PM »
Don't worry about that. They can ID the gauge just by looking at the old core. It's the wire type that's another variable though, they will definitely use the generic magnet wire. There are other special wires available.

The new ATM's from banks, say Visa Electron from Equitable PCI, from what I hear, work like a credit card except it draws money already in the bank. Try mo yun.

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 09:40:16 PM »
hmmm use westernunion or try mo xoom.com they are using paypal for tranferring money
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER