hulika

Author Topic: ako naman po magtatanong....:)  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Unior

• Board Moderator
ako naman po magtatanong....:)
« on: February 16, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
uhm... i've just acquired a 2nd hand guitar... strat-typed sha... nice nman yung maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, malinis, even the fretwires... yung body may konting dents, pero nde nman halata pag malayuan...:) black color yung body... one thing i really don't like with it is it's pickguard, and i'm sure you've seen my posts searching for a perloid one... originally kasi white yung pickguard, pero pininturahan nya ng itim, napapangitan lang me kasi white yung pups, knobs... nde mashado malinis yung pagkakapintura and sobrang dami ng scratches and nde tlga pantay yung paintjob... eniwei, rily don't have any idea how much it costs, pero mahal daw pala ung perloid na pickguard! :oops:  so i just took off the pickguard and backplate and was about to take mr alalala's tip on restoring it when my friend told me na dalhin na lang muna nya yung pickguard and backplate sa isuzu plant para isabay sa painting dun.... ayus!!! PWEDE!!!! so i gave it to him muna and hopefully he could have it repainted with pearlwhite or metallic white... ok nman yun for a black strat-typed guitar dba?? so yun, hopefully maganda ang kalalabasan.... i'm thinking pa nga of replacing the volume and tone knobs din eh, pang-arte lang....:) so enough about aesthetics, let's go to technical stuff...(tama ba? :? ) pick-ups are ok, except that mejo mahina sha sa 1st and 2nd strings... pno ko po ba maiaadjust yun? got a ssh config pla...:) action sobrang ok for me, except na naman sa fret buzz sa 3rd string, 9th fret... so pano ko po ulit aadjust yun? san po ba nakakabili nung maliit na wrench na pang-bridge ng gitara? lastly, ano po kaya pede pang gawin sa gitara ko aesthetically and for the tone thingie??? hehehe.... sori.... feel ko lang mag-inarte.... :lol:
Artists for Artists.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:17:30 PM »
first step, buy a hard paragraph return. ;-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:37:39 PM »
go easy on the smiley faces, man - i can't see your face anyhow so go easy on it.

from the sound of your post, it seems you are looking to have this thing prepped up rather than have it intonated and played. first thing is first, since you don't know anything about your guitar AND you have no clue about the parts, bring the guitar down to your local guitar tech and have it intonated. just say this, "I want this guitar set-up and intonated." Have the saddles adjusted, the pickup heights adjusted and the frets dressed.

Next, you mentioned something about adjusting or improving your tone. This is a LENGHTY topic and I ain't even going to start because I can already sense questions along the lines of, "What amp should I get"? Please don't ask that. Tone thingy? Tone what? Tone pots? Tone plastic knobs? What can I do to better adjust my tone as far as pickups? Tone what exactly? You have to be clear and concise with what you want. The aesthetic parts of a guitar don't have anything to do with the playbility of your axe unless it involves the following: the physical condition of the wood, the integrity of the neck and body, the functionality of the pickups, the stability of the bridge and its parts as well as the nut, frets, and tuning machines. Other than those items, the thing could be smeared with peanut butter and it should work fine UNLESS the peanut butter is covering the pickups, of course.

wait - do you know how to play? reason I am asking is it will help others help YOU to better understand what parts you are looking to get serviced or replaced. But more importantly, is the guitar a Fender guitar or another brand. if that item was a vintage guitar and you repainted it...you need to whup your own a$$.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Unior

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:38:43 PM »
hahaha.... hirap ba basahin?  :oops:  tuloy-tuloy kasi ako magtype kanina... nasa office kasi me eh... sori sir delta...:)
Artists for Artists.

Offline Unior

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »
sir abyss, no it's not a fender guitar... wahehe... uhm, and yeah i know how to play...(no smileys oki, stop that urge!!!) hehehe, just kidding... soree dude mejo nasanay me kakatype ng smileys sa ym...

(yan, second paragraph) :wink:  oki, mejo malabo unang post ko.. :oops:  hehe, sori po... uhm... to be exact, it's a yamaha "i-dunno-wat-model-exactly" guitar, but it's a strat-typed guitar.. ssh config... it's not a jap, and ok lng sakin paglaruan to... don't wori po sir abyss, im oriented nman po sa guitars, and i know kung ano yung may value sa wala...:)

frets need not to be dressed, that i'm sure... fretwires are decent, sabi din sakin nung 1st owner nde nya mashado nagamit to and last year lng nabili... no need to adjust the truss rod naman so oki pa ko... nice maple neck and rosewood fingerboard so no need to tackle on that din..

yung about po sa tone, nde po me magtatanong sa amp or effects..:) sure po... need to adjust lng the pickups kasi nung unang subok ko mejo mahina nga po yung 1st and 2nd strings.. nde ko lang po masubukan ulit kasi wala po yung pickguard ko... i just want to ask for some tips in doing this... also pati po dun sa fret buzz sa 3rd string ko...
Artists for Artists.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »
pre dalin mo na lang sa guitar tech para mas maganda :D

Offline Unior

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:08:20 PM »
Quote from: guitaraddict
pre dalin mo na lang sa guitar tech para mas maganda :D

hehehe... ask lang nman po me tips... gusto ko lng din kasi matuto... lam mo na :wink:  pero thanx din sa advice
Artists for Artists.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »
ok doks - so we can get right to the tips then! your guitar is probably a Yamaha Pacifica which are pretty nice guitars. as far as setting up the guitar, you can adjust the action (height of the strings) to cure the fret buzz on the G string (3rd treble string) by raising the action on the string saddles of the tremolo bridge. however, to properly do this, and to make sure the string height is compatible with the setup of the guitar, you need to check the 12th fret harmonic with the 12th fretted note on each string and MATCH them. if they don't match, adjust the height of the saddle until the harmonic and fretted notes match.

the pickup heights can be fixed according to your taste. some people like it close to the pups for louder, punchier attack while others back it off a bit. test and see how YOUR preferences dictate where the pickups should be. just be careful with how close the pups get to the strings, the magnet poles can affect your tone if they get too close to the strings as well.

scan the internet for setup tips on tremolo equipped guitars, there are a lot of tips out there that can have you go through the necessary steps to fix and get to know your guitar better.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
pareng abyss, great tip! di ka ba guitar tech? hehe

unior, there are plenty of websites that discusses this..you can start here:

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php

Offline Unior

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
ayus... now i can have my bonding moments with my guitar...:) hehehe thanx po mga sirs... hopefully i cud get your advise again if ever id be needing it again...:)

however, nde pa po kasi me nakakalabas for the past days, san po ba nakakabili nung wrench para maadjust yung string saddle sa trem bridge? and how much po ba ito? wrench nga ba tawag dun? :oops: para po alam ko na san ako pupunta pag nakaalis me... thnx po!!:)
Artists for Artists.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 03:16:49 AM »
excellent, learning to work with your own guitar is great. sonny, i guess I am a guitar tech in a way but I only do guitar work for myself or people I closely know. my real passion is building guitars whenever I can. my last project was a custom Jazz bass made to 70's specs. I just finished it and I love how loud the thing is. my next project is a red sparkle finish Jazzmaster or a whale blue PRS style guitar. the reason I started building guitars was that I wanted specific things to go into my guitars that would make them sound great for specific styles of music AND be road worthy for me to gig around with.

union, dpending on the type of saddles you have, you can either use a small screw driver or an allen wrench with a hexagon head.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 03:41:42 AM »
i have the same problem w/ you re: pickups, may fender squier strat ako made in korea bought it brand new, yung bridge pickup nya medyo mahina sa low E .011 ang guage na gamit ko ? can anyone give me an explanation why it happened and how to resolve it ? d sya ganun nung bago.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:11:13 AM »
either the pickups are too far away from the strings, OR your pups have weak output. given the fact that you have 11's, did you set up the guitar to have 11 guage strings? if not, then most likely your floating trem on the strat is causing your bridge to bow inward towards the neck. this can increase the distance between your strings and pickups. to fix this, adjust the tension in your trem springs in the back by adding another trem spring in the back to help add more pull to the bridge. also, you could use a trem-setter to help increase and stabilize the tension in your tremolo. i use a trem setter in addition to the 2 trem springs because i use 13 guage strings on my strat.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »
ayos naman yung height ng strings ko from the pickups, kahit anong gawin ko ganun, sinubukan ko na nga na ilapit ng husto yung E string sa pickups just the part na mahina ni udjust ko sa bridge pero ala pa rin saka sa bridge pickup lang eh ? d kaya may tama na yung bridge pickup ko ?