hulika

Author Topic: Survey: High end phones, yay or nay?  (Read 18693 times)

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Survey: High end phones, yay or nay?
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »
Okay, let's disregard the fact that high end phones are wants, but not needs. No wants vs needs arguments, please. AND THIS IS NOT A BRAND WAR. This is for all high end phones in general!

So, are high end phones (iphone and the likes, samsung note etc etc ) really worth it? Let's assume that you can buy any of these at any given time. Kahit na madami kang pera, it's still a hefty sum. probably will cost you about 30k minimum per purchase. 2 of those, you can have a decent scooter.  :lol: Do you believe that high end phones are only alive because of the hype about it, or can we classify it as an investment?

Personal opinion:

I work on websites, soon on mobile devices. Testing is a key part of my job. So, if I really need any of this for my job, then I would probably buy one, or two. That's the only way I can call this an investment. But, personally, I have brief attacks of clumsiness, often times, I drop my phone while doing something. So before, I buy one for personal use, pagiisip ko talaga ng matindi. Or, I'd buy a second phone for general use. Mahirap na mabasagan ng 30k. haha!

BTW: apple devs can earn 6 digits easily dito sa pilipinas. sa pinas palang yun. just an FYI. So, I'm considering jumping on the mobile platform bandwagon. hahaha!
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
Re: Survey: High end phones, yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:23:04 AM »
In my case, Note 2 came in with the data plan (2K) and the S6 was part of the retention. I use this (data plan) as a back-up for my wired connection, and gamit na gamit ko ang data plan. Depende na sa perspective ng tao kung free yung phone (that came along with the data plan) or free yung data that came with the phone, he he he.

Now, if I were to buy unlocked phones or magka-cash out pa ako for lower plans, I'd get the Nexus devices (direct updates from Google). I have no experience with mid-range phones, either entry level kami or the high-end. So pointless yung comparison ng specs. Pero one thing na nagustuhan ko sa phones ko eh yung magandang camera and the colors produced sa screen. Also yung performance sa gaming. Again, I haven't compared it to mid-range priced ones.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:41:36 AM »
it really is up to you how you intend to use it.

and you really cant exclude branding here because there are companies who would really charge extra believing that their name adds a premium feel to the device.

Buy an Apple Iphone 5C and an ASUS Zen tablet. Since you will be working on optimizing sites for mobile devices, you have to test run the sites youll be working on on these two OS'. The iPhone 5C is cheap and the hardware may not be that outdated. I suggested a phablet for your android device kasi most android gadgets are cheap and they are competing on screen size so it is likely that most people on android will be browsing on a 5 inch and up screen size.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
Buy an Apple Iphone 5C and an ASUS Zen tablet. Since you will be working on optimizing sites for mobile devices, you have to test run the sites youll be working on on these two OS'. The iPhone 5C is cheap and the hardware may not be that outdated. I suggested a phablet for your android device kasi most android gadgets are cheap and they are competing on screen size so it is likely that most people on android will be browsing on a 5 inch and up screen size.

Apple lang naman napaka maselan sa website. Some of my scripts and stylesheets, okay naman with pc and android. Pagdating sa apple devices, sira.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
Apple lang naman napaka maselan sa website. Some of my scripts and stylesheets, okay naman with pc and android. Pagdating sa apple devices, sira.

hehe lalo na pag web forms o drop down boxes. sabog sabog yung layout.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »
sa midrange ako.

while yes, high end phones are really fluid, there are few apps that would actually need all the resources the high end phone has. usually it's just gaming or stuff like navigation or augmented reality.

for most people, mid range phones are the perfect balance between everyday-use apps and fluidity. they also sport almost all the sensors you'd need, even if they're a bit slow or less accurate. battery life is also usually better because of the bigger battery size.

for me, a midrange phone will suffice, as long as it has a great screen (none of that color shifting thing, and is bright enough. resolution isn't that much important) and all the sensors/radios I need.

for creative purposes though, I'd take an apple phone any day because of the camera and its software, as well as CoreAudio and CoreMIDI; the android equivalent will need more muscle than what iOS requires. I don't even think Android has MIDI yet.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 04:38:41 AM »
i try to find whatever bang for the buck phone is currently on the market. since cherry mobile released the apollo in 2013, i'd been quite a fan of the brand. i just bought a flare x yesterday. bang for the buck.

i won't go for a high end phone because i'm just your casual user, and i don't see a need to go ape for the brand. unless, they will offer something that i will actually need.
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:50:59 AM »
Would i go for a high end phone if i have the moolah? YES!

Could we classify it as investment? NO.

From what i see, people these days only get high end phones coz it'll make them look cool, socialite for some. But are they using it's full potential? No. They'll just probably use social apps, and that's it.

For me, i'd go for midrange. Casual game here and there, not thinking on what phone to buy next.

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »
Would i go for a high end phone if i have the moolah? YES!

Could we classify it as investment? NO.

From what i see, people these days only get high end phones coz it'll make them look cool, socialite for some. But are they using it's full potential? No. They'll just probably use social apps, and that's it.

For me, i'd go for midrange. Casual game here and there, not thinking on what phone to buy next.

It is an investment for us developers. Maybe not for an ordinary citizen/consumer that will use it for facebook purposes.

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
It is an investment for us developers. Maybe not for an ordinary citizen/consumer that will use it for facebook purposes.

AGREE!

What i dont like with cellphone these days are, over the top specs; quadcore/hexacore/octacore cpus, 4gb RAM, 2k/4k screen? Sure it's a feat for mobile technology, but do you really need those specs? If i'm a gamer, i'd rather use the money on pc upgrade knowing that a phone just wont give me that satisfaction vs a pc. And who needs multicore cpu phones? Are you running complex decrypting software that needs multicore cpus? Sure i see that coming for the new microsoft phone, and i think it will be the next big thing.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »

AGREE!

What i dont like with cellphone these days are, over the top specs; quadcore/hexacore/octacore cpus, 4gb RAM, 2k/4k screen? Sure it's a feat for mobile technology, but do you really need those specs? If i'm a gamer, i'd rather use the money on pc upgrade knowing that a phone just wont give me that satisfaction vs a pc. And who needs multicore cpu phones? Are you running complex decrypting software that needs multicore cpus? Sure i see that coming for the new microsoft phone, and i think it will be the next big thing.

Manufacturers make this because they're selling points. Wala na ngang spec wars sa PC at camera, Meron naman sa phones dahil iisa lang naman yung OS para sa madla (Android). Lalo na yung super daming core, syempre marami sa tao di nila alam na mas importante ang RAM.

This is why I like Apple devices, prior to 6S, 1GB lang yung RAM, tapos less than 1080 lines (short side) yung resolution, pero sobrang ganda ng performance. Mahal nga lang. Compare mo sa 'droid phone na 4gb na ang ram pumipiyok pa rin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »
Manufacturers make this because they're selling points. Wala na ngang spec wars sa PC at camera, Meron naman sa phones dahil iisa lang naman yung OS para sa madla (Android). Lalo na yung super daming core, syempre marami sa tao di nila alam na mas importante ang RAM.

This is why I like Apple devices, prior to 6S, 1GB lang yung RAM, tapos less than 1080 lines (short side) yung resolution, pero sobrang ganda ng performance. Mahal nga lang. Compare mo sa 'droid phone na 4gb na ang ram pumipiyok pa rin.

My ZF5 has dual core, 2gb ram and 720p screen and its been with me for a year now. It's still reliable on a daily basis. Also, arent developers still uses pc to code their program and just uses the phone for testing purpose?

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
I started using smart phones in 2012.
Lagi ako tipid.

Sept 2012 - free alcatel from sun (forgot the model)
Dec  2012 - galaxy s2 2nd hand - (high end flagship in 2011)
April 2013 - flagship myphone dual phone (forgot the model) - I consider this an upgrade due to the specs despite of the cheaper price.
Sept 2013 - Galaxy s4 mini dual phone (mid range in 2013)

I bought these phone because I had the same sentiment
Gusto ko makatipid dahil hindi naman ako heavy user. Casual lang. Call & text tapos kaunting games pag bored ka lang habang nag hihintay ng kung ano.

Pero ang pinaka ayaw ko lang, ung nag hahang. Ung mag oopen ka ng new text mo tapos bigla nalang mag hahang
Ung tatawag ka sa kameet mo tapos bigla nalang mag hhang. tapos ang boot time ang 5-10min. This happens to me everyday.
Tapos ung mauubusan ka na ng battery pero hindi ka pa nakakauwi ng bahay.

Dec of 2014 - I decided to push my budget to avoid those issues. And to a void those issues means to buy a high end flagship phone
Bought the Sony Xperia z3 dual sim in dec of 2014. The sony flashship of its time. Naghang lang siya maybe twice this year. Moderate-heavy user na ko para rin masulit itong phone. Pero wala akong sakit sa ulo dito.

Ngayon, masaya parin ako sa xperia z3 ko.
Wala ako screen protector. Case ko ay hindi naman shock absorber. At ilang beses ko na nabagsak ito.
May kaunting unnoticeable scratches sa sides. Pero may mas mahahabang unnoticeable scratches pa ko sa mismong screen.
Meron ding moisture sa loob ng screen dahil 3 times ko na to pinanswimming.
Despite of that, I still love the phone at walang sakit sa ulo.

So YAY ako sa high end phones.
Bakit? Kasi if I do the math, mas nakatipid ako
2012 - 2013 bumili ako ng 3 phones ako (disregard the alcatel phone since that was free)

Tingnan natin kung mapapa 2 years ko pa to kasi un ang plano ko.

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »
@ierofan I am no programmer but I worked lots of projects with the devs.

As far as I know, Apple and android are two different platforms and you must focus on only 1.

Since you start this thread, I am assuming that you are asking for android devices. But your last statement shows that you want to be an apple dev.
So if you want to be an apple dev, you must buy an apple device. Which clearly defeats the purpose of your thread if you are going to buy a high end or low end phone.

As far as this thread is concern, I suggest cherry mobile and NEVER use that for personal use or use it other than for testing. Don't text. Don't install apps from play store. Don't install games. Don't put a sim card.
Cherry mobile is reliable for testing if you have no apps fed with bloatware.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:39:29 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
ASUS na talaga ang brand ko.

my fonepad 7's screen broke nung pasko. it is still covered by the extended warranty i purchased from Memo Express. binalik ko na sa kanila and it is currently being processed in their service center.

out of frustration, i went out to look for a cheap replacement. natakam ako dun sa home credit installment na offer ng mga sellers. i can have a new phone in just 30 mins at 500-1000 per month(depende sa price ng unit na kukunin ko). i scanned their shelves trying to eye a good phone and another ASUS unit caught my attention. a Zenfone Go. probably the cheapest in the new generation Zenfone line. 1.3ghz procy, 2gb ram, 16 gb internal storage, 5 inch HD IPS screen, dual sim and the usual stuff you could find in a typical android phone. Php6500 lang. Php7k if you buy the extended warranty.

binili ko na agad on 12 months installment sa cc ni misis.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 09:53:10 AM »

ASUS na talaga ang brand ko.

my fonepad 7's screen broke nung pasko. it is still covered by the extended warranty i purchased from Memo Express. binalik ko na sa kanila and it is currently being processed in their service center.

out of frustration, i went out to look for a cheap replacement. natakam ako dun sa home credit installment na offer ng mga sellers. i can have a new phone in just 30 mins at 500-1000 per month(depende sa price ng unit na kukunin ko). i scanned their shelves trying to eye a good phone and another ASUS unit caught my attention. a Zenfone Go. probably the cheapest in the new generation Zenfone line. 1.3ghz procy, 2gb ram, 16 gb internal storage, 5 inch HD IPS screen, dual sim and the usual stuff you could find in a typical android phone. Php6500 lang. Php7k if you buy the extended warranty.

binili ko na agad on 12 months installment sa cc ni misis.

I'm very impressed with he new ASUS phones. Modest specs that are actually top notch mid range phones with affordable prices.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 10:32:02 AM »
^oo nga eh. if i were to choose between ASUS, Acer and Lenovo, sa ASUS ako. design-wise, mas sleek pa din tignan yung sa ASUS unlike yung sa Acer and Lenovo na yung rounded edges parang ipapaalala sayo yung time na naka java based pa yung OS ng mga phones.

pero may unit si Acer na LTE at below Php4000 ang price.

Camera naman, my Fonepad 7 was sucky. di ko naman ginagamit e. this Zenfone Go has decent shots though. the Pixelmaster camera app is also good and packed with user friendly features. no heating issues and im hoping na aabot pa ng Marshmallow ang specs nito. i couldve bought the Laser pero di talaga ako ma-camera sa phone so walang use yung Laser focus nya sakin. konti lang difference nun from the Go.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
no, at least 7k- (the most) 10k lang madaling malaspag phones sakin..nahuhulog, nasabulsa ko kaya nagagasgas or nayuyupi...and..yung di gaanong malaki screen..gusto ko nakakapag type ako ng isang kamay lang.. pag malaki..hirap abutin yung "A"..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »

The Asus ZenPhone Laser is probably one of the best bang for buck phones I've ever seen. the camera is very impressive. almost point and shoot quality na. tapos corning gorilla glass na rin.

however, iOS parin ako. my iPhone4 is still alive and as fast as when I received it in 2010. no plans of replacing dahil hindi siya naghahang. kug magpapalit ako, malamang iPhone parin.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »
If you will go the Android path of development, you need 3 devices I think. A high end, a mid-range and a low-end devices. Yun ang gripe ko sa Android, andaming devices, plus the versions (KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow). With ios naman, you can be ok with what is the latest, iphone 6s.

Damn, may tablets pa nga pala. Bwahahahaha! Well, you need to dig deeper with the APIs and the UI documentations for that matter. I'm not a developer, pero I want applications na optimized ang memory at cpu usage. And I always look for intuitive UIs. Kahit pa high-end ang phone ko, if I monitored na anlakas sa memory at cpu use ng isang app kahit sitting on the background, uninstall kaagad.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »

The Asus ZenPhone Laser is probably one of the best bang for buck phones I've ever seen. the camera is very impressive. almost point and shoot quality na. tapos corning gorilla glass na rin.

however, iOS parin ako. my iPhone4 is still alive and as fast as when I received it in 2010. no plans of replacing dahil hindi siya naghahang. kug magpapalit ako, malamang iPhone parin.

If my iPhone explodes now, ASUS Zenfone Laser din ako. But it won't explode, so iOS talaga. Kahit namumulubi ako. Every two years ako nagpapalit with the contract. Pero ok lang kasi laspag na yung unit sakin within two years. Gamit na gamit talaga. The previous one I had, volume switches na lang ang walang sira, literal. Kung droid phone na midrange yun Papalitan ko na in 9 months

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »
If my iPhone explodes now, ASUS Zenfone Laser din ako. But it won't explode, so iOS talaga. Kahit namumulubi ako. Every two years ako nagpapalit with the contract. Pero ok lang kasi laspag na yung unit sakin within two years. Gamit na gamit talaga. The previous one I had, volume switches na lang ang walang sira, literal. Kung droid phone na midrange yun Papalitan ko na in 9 months

same. if my phone quits on me and I need a quick spare, I'd definitely go with ASUS ZenPhone. pero wala, I really love the performance and consistency of iOS. hopefully, my phone does not give out on me soon. gamit na gamit din ito, pero wala pa ni isang sira. all buttons are A-Okay
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
If you will go the Android path of development, you need 3 devices I think. A high end, a mid-range and a low-end devices. Yun ang gripe ko sa Android, andaming devices, plus the versions (KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow). With ios naman, you can be ok with what is the latest, iphone 6s.

Damn, may tablets pa nga pala. Bwahahahaha! Well, you need to dig deeper with the APIs and the UI documentations for that matter. I'm not a developer, pero I want applications na optimized ang memory at cpu usage. And I always look for intuitive UIs. Kahit pa high-end ang phone ko, if I monitored na anlakas sa memory at cpu use ng isang app kahit sitting on the background, uninstall kaagad.

This is true.
If you're gonna develop, you need different OS for compatibility testing. Also for security reasons

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
This is true.
If you're gonna develop, you need different OS for compatibility testing. Also for security reasons

thing is, developing android APK and iOS Apps are totally different. different environments, plus may licenses pa sa iOS. so, might as well focus muna sa isa. the app market is better on the iOS tho. mas maraming users ng iOS ang may power to buy an app compared sa android.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »

thing is, developing android APK and iOS Apps are totally different. different environments, plus may licenses pa sa iOS. so, might as well focus muna sa isa. the app market is better on the iOS tho. mas maraming users ng iOS ang may power to buy an app compared sa android.

True. What's free in the Play Store is probably $1.49 in the App Store.

Even in Mac vs. Windows, yung SIR Reverb libre sa Windows, may bayad sa Mac!!

@ralph ang tibay ng iPhone mo!