hulika

Author Topic: Full Frame Cameras.. what does it do and is it worth the extra dough  (Read 2397 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
i am interested in getting the Canon 5D but the extra pricetag is preventing me from getting it.  i am currently using a  Canon 40D... is the Canon 5D really miles apart in performance compared to the 40D and is it really worth it?
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Full Frame Cameras.. what does it do and is it worth the extra dough
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »
i think no one will answer this..paki delete na lang MODERATOR please..
Music is art in sound...

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »
kung professional photographer ka at gagamitin for you business or something syempre worth it sya
yung 5d ok sya for sports photographers

kung hobby lang or past time ang photoghrapy ok na yung 40d...

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/cmos/index-e.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

red- full frame
blue- aps-c

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:11:10 PM by tejadster »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
wow thanks sa info.. ok yung picture explanation, thanks  tejadster at andrew_0_0
Music is art in sound...

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »
i've been thinking about this for a while na. honestly, confused ako dito. hehe

kasi, so what kung may crop factor? 16mm on full frame is indeed wider than 16mm on a crop sensor. BUT meron namang 10mm for crops that match the field of view of 16mm on full frame.

the advantage is that what's wide on crop is extra wide on full frame.

what's long for a crop is short though for full frame naman.

so i don't quite get it.

in terms of bokeh though, medyo gets ko.

let's say 85mm @ 1.8. grabe bokeh nun on full frame. but on crop naman, di mo masusulit.kasi nga naccrop yung bokeh. but you can get it on a 50. would it be the same kind of bokeh though? i'm not sure... given it's the exact same kind of lens all things being equal, maybe yeah but are lenses made equally? i dont think so...

it's real confusing. hehe

in terms of noise control though, malupit na malupit talaga yung 5d. but people are saying that the 40d comes close. how close i dont really know. there are several tests online that you can check out.
way too much GAS, way too little cash

itchybrain

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:24:20 PM »

I'm confused with the full-frame 5D too. I've been thinking of upgrading to it but then the aesthetic voice in me opted for L lenses. Some say using a 5D is like using higher format film cams but I still have to check this. Don't quote me on this yet. :-D I still believe that Film and Digital formats are two different beasts.

If you want faster CPU processing, I guess get a higher end camera. In terms of quality, it will all depend on where you'll be using your photos.

Only a few of my friends use 5Ds and most of us are either using 30Ds or older DSLRs. Like Sir Alex Baluyut, for instance. He is considered one of the best Photo-Journalists of our country but he still uses a 10D!

At the end of it all, it's really how you use a camera and what's in your picture that will count most.

I hope this helps.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »

At the end of it all, it's really how you use a camera and what's in your picture that will count most.

I agree 100%.

Just to add, there's also a difference between a full frame 10mpx vs. 1.6crop 10mpx in terms of the density of the sensors. They say that less density is better and makes for a clearer image per sensor. I just don't know if this can translate to something the naked eye can see.

Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione