hulika

Author Topic: About guitar recording...  (Read 10931 times)

addbot

About guitar recording...
« on: December 02, 2006, 07:35:29 AM »
Mga sir ano ba mas ok, magrecord na may gamit kang amp like marshall, peavey, etc. or direct na? Kasi nagrecord kami gamit ay yung M-Audio Firewire solo, bale guitar and fx tapos diretso na sa M-audio. Ano po ba mas advisable, gumamit ng amp o hindi?

Thanks!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: About guitar recording...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:41:46 AM »
gamit ka ng amp modeler :lol: like rp50
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline choiskee333

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:27:19 AM »
sir gamit ka ng amp tapos naka mic .preferably sm 57.

Offline Jie

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:47:37 AM »
Addbot,
 I can't say which way is okay...Some use certain type of amp because of their tone character, combination na rin ng mic choices at kung anu-ano pa..

If you plug-in directly,you'll profit sa effects that is in the unit...Multi-effects pedal have own pre-amp, modulation effects, delays and reverbs..it means,before entering the console it is already processed.

Hope this helps.

Paki-post naman yung result ng recording nyo.and kung ano'ng gear.

Jie
She Is Everything To Me, The Unrequited Dream. A Song That No one Sings, The Unattainable. - Vermilion Prt.2

Offline shutterbugjohn

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:59:02 AM »
follow up question from a newbie sa pc recording.:)

what about analog distortion recording .i remember using a ds1 . ok sa amp ko, pag rekta ko sa soundcard panget na ng tunog. what do i need to do kung gusto ko ng direct to sound card?
text me for inquiries: 0933.4371584
YM: DREJHM0828
http://www.facebook.com/guitar.love.repairs

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:05:31 AM »

what about analog distortion recording .i remember using a ds1 . ok sa amp ko, pag rekta ko sa soundcard panget na ng tunog. what do i need to do kung gusto ko ng direct to sound card?

What is your Sound Card?

chito_eoi has ds1, sd2 and mt1 and when we plug his guitar and effects on either my 1820m or Audigy ZS Platinum with a Behri MS20 Studio Monitor mas maganda pa tunog kesa using a guitar amp
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline music_doctor

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 04:43:59 AM »

Basta gumamit ka ng stompbox rekta sa recording, kahit anong soundcard, kahit anong mixer na mamahalin kahit anong medium ng recording, digital or analog, it will sound real [gooey brown stuff]. Why? kasi, naa-alter ang EQ characteristics ng guitar. Remember... yung Dist mo na REKTA sa combo amp, ang speaker na nilalabasan ng tunog nun is DESIGNED for instrument use, mainly, the guitar... and, consider also the box where the speaker is mounted, yun din, it adds up to the sound ng guitar mo... plus the room where you are playing it...yun lang, it makes a TOTALLY different character, tapos... pag ni-rekta mo sa recording, yung 3-dimensional na sound ng setup mo, nagiging plane, as in 2-D... Now, para "mahabol" mo ang gsto mong sound when you record ng rekta with just that stompbox, you will need at least 3 stages of EQ, a compressor, and a digital reverb set to a very short, early reflection type, para ma simulate ang tunog ng speaker cabinet... Set it up in this sequence..... GUITAR==> EQ1==> Compressor==> EQ2==> Reverb(early reflection)==> EQ3==> soundcard.... TIP:  your EQs must really pronounce those mid frequencies more.
... para mas mapadali ang mga bagay-bagay, just use an amp simulator after your favorite stompbox, or forget about your stompbox and just use a multiFX with an already built-in ampsim :-D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 04:47:02 AM by music_doctor »
Know the rules before you break them.

Offline shutterbugjohn

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:03:56 PM »
music_doc, may ym ka ba? hehehe
text me for inquiries: 0933.4371584
YM: DREJHM0828
http://www.facebook.com/guitar.love.repairs

jakobspiral

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:08:24 AM »
Oh yeah, you can't plug stompbox effects directly to your mixer/soundcard/interface/whatever. You have to have something called "Amp" in your signal chain.

1) You can use Amp modelers, either digital fx or software plugins. But they don't sound like real amp cabinets, in my opinion. Kahit yung high end (line6, digitech, boss, native instruments) doesn't compare with real amp cabinets.

2) Or, if you want an almost true amp sound without using an amp, the only option would be to use a Tech21 SansAmp. Best of both worlds ka dito. Tunog real amp (well, almost) + without the hassle of having to worry about mic placement and room acoustics.

3) Or, for the best sound (para sakin), you can just mic an amp (refer to the replies above me).

In a nutshell, whether you choose option 1), 2) or 3), depende yan sa tenga mo. Kurt Cobain plugged his ds-1 directly into the recording console without using an amp for "Territorial Pissings", I think...

Anyway, have fun recording. :-)

addbot

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 12:10:27 PM »
gamit ko po yung gfx-1 medyo di ko feel yung bigat ng tunog... sabi sa akin ng sound engineer mas ok raw yung guitar >>  gfx1 >> tapos dun sa m-audio kasi flat daw yun.

jakobspiral

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 05:46:38 PM »
gamit ko po yung gfx-1 medyo di ko feel yung bigat ng tunog... sabi sa akin ng sound engineer mas ok raw yung guitar >>  gfx1 >> tapos dun sa m-audio kasi flat daw yun.

teka... what do you mean by "bigat"?

kung bigat in terms of equalization, pwede mong ayusin yung equalizer sa gfx-1, lakasan mo yung bass, para mas "mabigat" ang labas...

or, "bigat" in terms of distortion ba sinasabi mo? pwede mong baguhin wiring ng pickups mo or buy a new pickup na higher output para mas ma-"bigat" ang distortion.

or, gumamit ka ng mas ma-"bigat" na distortion fx...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
Recording guitars is NOT supposed to be a walk in the park.  To get an OK sound is quite easy.  But to get a GODLY sound is another.  Now granting you have talent and want to get a good sound on record, this is where proper production values should come in.  For heaven's sake, there is a myriad of badly-recorded guitar tracks in the local albums, and sad to say that they don't speak for the amount of talent that most guitarists here have.

For me, the most important thing in the signal chain is NOT the guitar, NOT the cable, NOT the mic, not the DAW, and definitely NOT THE FX.  THE AMP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. 

Huh? But I don't own an amp.  Or at least my amp is a sucky 10 watter.  What about using my multifx through the studio amp? - This is the common problem.  A lot of people are so used to bringing fx to gigs so most don't even know how they sound.  I mean, it's like getting a good sound on record for most guitarists is a moving target.  So the studio in turn becomes another problem for for the guitarist
especially if the studio has inadequate amps for different applications.

So what's the solution?  FIND A GREAT AMP FOR THE SOUND YOU WANT.  IF YOU PLUG STRAIGHT AND IT SOUNDS GOOD, THEN THAT'S WHAT YOU SHOULD USE FOR THE RECORDING.  As much as possible, copy your heroes' rigs if you can (not virtually, but in a real guitar and amp setup).  If you like Killswitch Engage, get a Framus Cobra.  If you like old school Van Halen, get a Plexi and a variac.  If you like Queen, get a Vox AC30.  At that, you are 80% close.  Now the only thing you have to worry about is how to mic it and find the right room to record it in.  If you want a drier sound, you have at leas less problems with the ambient miking, and for all you know you might not need it.

Miking is not rocket science.  You have a lot of resources for that.  It boils down to taste if your prefer dynamic mics like Shure Sm57, SM58, Sennheiser MD421, E609, Condensers like Neumann U87,  AKG C12, AKG 414, or Ribbons like thre RCA 44B or Royer r121. Get a good mic preamp.  NEVER USE A CHEAP MIXER AS YOUR PREAMP BECAUSE IT JUST RUINS THE 3-DIMENSIONALITY OF THE SIGNAL.

Snake your guitar cable from the control room to the amp and you should hear your signal from the monitors.  Now if you have an improperly set-up control room then you'll just have more problems.  Bad monitors = more chances of getting the wrong sound.  Untreated walls = more chances of getting unwanted umphh because of the frequency dips in the room.

:mrgreen:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:35:56 PM »
There's this story about The Kink's Dave Davies who poked his mom's knitting needle into his 10-watt amp speaker and got a new sound. Later on, he used a razor blade on the cone and got a distorted, jagged, and offensive sound - exactly what he was looking for!

While I don't want this thread degenerating into a "my amp is more expensive that your amp, so it's better" thread, I think we should take things in the proper context. Having the most expensive and the best not necessarily is; it's all a matter of personal perception and opinion. Having the sound that you want, regardless of how it was done, should be the focus of this thread.

We can all GAS for that most expensive amp, most expensive cab, most expensive set of analog fx there is, but if a 10-watt amp and a bunch of DIY pedals do the same thing or better, or is exactly what one is looking for, then by all means go for it! If a crappy, 2nd hand, defective mic gives the sound you are looking for, then by all means! Like I said in another thread, it doesn't matter if it's miked or not, if it's the sound you are looking for, then by all means record it! All too often, we dwell on things like, "your amp sounds crappy..." or whatever. I'd like to think more like, "hmmm... that sounds good... now let's make it better."
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 06:51:11 AM »
I prefer micing my amp because I like the sound it makes in my room with my speakers. If I got direct...I use my amp modeler a Vamp2 for rhythm and background guitars....for Lead...defiitely micing.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 11:21:46 AM »
dude if you have an amp and a cheap mic try using those first.  just for the experience.  then try amp simulators and see which sounds better.

im all for micing the amp of course. 

whatever u do have fun!  :mrgreen:
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »
I'm new to recording, but I believe I can say that everything can be used in context - no matter what equipment it is.  Dimebag Darell actually used a cigarette pack sized 'smokey' amp in Far Beyond Driven.  I believe it was on "Strength Beyond Strength" and "Good Friends and a Bottle of Pill".  Now, he didn't use it as his main amp, but he did find a use for it.  I forgot where I read it from, must be from an old Guitar World magazine...  I was just amazed because when I listened back to the record after reading what he said, it occured to me that one passage did sound like it was coming from a smokey amp.

Offline Direk

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 12:03:05 PM »

For me, the most important thing in the signal chain is NOT the guitar, NOT the cable, NOT the mic, not the DAW, and definitely NOT THE FX.  THE AMP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.

Did you said signal chain? I guess that speaks to what is more important...all those in the chains...not only the amp, not only the guitar, not only the cable, not only the DAW, not only the room, not only the mic's...Remember, good music not only sound is in the details of those chains.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:52:26 AM by Direk »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »

...Remember, good music not sound is in the details of those chains.
whaaaaaaaatttt? :?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »
LOL i felt the same way ... maybe what he meant was that it's not just about gear.  it's ultimately about the MUSIC.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline music_doctor

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 03:20:14 PM »
WALANG PANGET
 ... THERE'S NOTHING THAT IS UGLY!   
  ... WE ONLY HAVE PREFERENCES!

:-D
Know the rules before you break them.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 11:15:47 PM »
anyone heard the SimulAnalog Guitar suite?!? they sound good and theyre free! they model a few pedals and some amps...pretty decent for quick and dirty work when you dont wanna have to mic up an amp
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline Direk

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 05:39:50 AM »

Yes Ma'am, Sturfugger. You read me right. To you Phil,
Of course, sound is the necessary medium for music. It's the sound that makes the music, not the notes. For one thing, I stand for to use music than sound. So what are those words worth? If we accept that much of modern technology has been developing in the wrong direction, that there are many, many systems out there that may offer beautiful sound but that don't stand a chance of providing real emotional pleasure, the obvious question is Why? Still, by a mysterious paradox, fidelity to sound does not always coincide with fidelity to the emotion, which is the soul itself of music. Probably, you know now my musical bias- sitting and listening attentively with eyes closed, letting the music---not the sound--tell you how good the system is.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 11:25:59 AM »
LOL i felt the same way ... maybe what he meant was that it's not just about gear.  it's ultimately about the MUSIC.
okay..thanks for clearing that out.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 11:34:17 AM »

Yes Ma'am, Sturfugger. You read me right. To you Phil,
Of course, sound is the necessary medium for music. It's the sound that makes the music, not the notes. For one thing, I stand for to use music than sound. So what are those words worth? If we accept that much of modern technology has been developing in the wrong direction, that there are many, many systems out there that may offer beautiful sound but that don't stand a chance of providing real emotional pleasure, the obvious question is Why? Still, by a mysterious paradox, fidelity to sound does not always coincide with fidelity to the emotion, which is the soul itself of music. Probably, you know now my musical bias- sitting and listening attentively with eyes closed, letting the music---not the sound--tell you how good the system is.

I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything.......just want to know if you are using an english translation software? I  do understand tagalog....no offense :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 11:23:55 PM »
There's this story about The Kink's Dave Davies who poked his mom's knitting needle into his 10-watt amp speaker and got a new sound. Later on, he used a razor blade on the cone and got a distorted, jagged, and offensive sound - exactly what he was looking for!

While I don't want this thread degenerating into a "my amp is more expensive that your amp, so it's better" thread, I think we should take things in the proper context. Having the most expensive and the best not necessarily is; it's all a matter of personal perception and opinion. Having the sound that you want, regardless of how it was done, should be the focus of this thread.

We can all GAS for that most expensive amp, most expensive cab, most expensive set of analog fx there is, but if a 10-watt amp and a bunch of DIY pedals do the same thing or better, or is exactly what one is looking for, then by all means go for it! If a crappy, 2nd hand, defective mic gives the sound you are looking for, then by all means! Like I said in another thread, it doesn't matter if it's miked or not, if it's the sound you are looking for, then by all means record it! All too often, we dwell on things like, "your amp sounds crappy..." or whatever. I'd like to think more like, "hmmm... that sounds good... now let's make it better."

KitC, I know what you mean.  But unluckily, most local guitarists are very uninformed about how to get good sounds on record.  I am not here to promote boutique equipment over cheap, but rather, HAVING AN INFORMED CHOICE IN RECORDING.  If Joe Perry used a 12 Watt SS Marshall Lead 12 in some songs, does that mean he wouldn't use his Bad Cats and Plexis anymore? Having choices between from a $3000 Bogner guitar amp to a P3,000 Marshall MG guitar amp is the essence of recording- HAVING A WIDE TONE PALETTE.  But unfortunately this "Cheap can do" mentality is counter-productive.  Kumbaga, "eto kasi nakasanayan kong setup pag gig kaya ito na rin sa recording..."  It's like we're licking our wound rather than cure the wound.  For heaven's sake, we have Exile and the have a Bruno, and a bunch of high end amps like a Marshall Plexi reissue, but who do you know that bothered to rent one of their amps for a recording session? 

It all boils down to HAVING WRONG PRODUCTION VALUES!  Maling pagtitipid kaya di maganda ang resulta.