The Music Forums > Soul Patrol

IS THE PHILS. READY FOR RNB??

<< < (2/8) > >>

dominant_chord2005:
I agree. That's the thing with our culture. We are famous all over the world for our ability to adapt to any available situations, scenarios and at times cultures. That is why the Europeans and the Americans envy us for our ability to learn and adapt their culture while they have a "passing through they needle's eye" context of adapting to ours.

Our Filipino rock and pop musicians were able to adapt to the rock and pop music perspective due to the "walk in the park" structures of these genres. Unlike Afro-American Music where we have difficulty with "walking the walk and talking the talk" due to its diverse permutations, these so called genres mainly influence our daily lives thanks to radio stations that feed us with materials rotating on regular airplay. When  the Americans came to the philippines, they actually brought with them the pros and cons of their musical culture which then were percieved to be the "holy grail " of social acceptance. Until such point where it eventually sink into us as if it were part of our system.

In my perspective..I can safely assume that unless we start to walk the walk and talk the talk, thats wehn we can say we are ready

tejadster:
nde pa cguro..

iba kase yung culture dito eh..

mayk_bam:
RnB? as in Rock n Ballads, oo naman...hehe :-P

jay4roca:

--- Quote from: makinao on December 06, 2007, 03:18:44 PM ---In my mind, the Philippine music scene is ready for anything new, given that most of what you hear on radio nowadays are stuck in their respective stylistic boxes. There are a precious few who are pushing the limits their genres, and even fewer that offer something really "out of the box". But there are lots of interesting acts in the periphery which the mainstream never hears, and/or which the music industry doesn't consider lucrative.

I know I'm going to get flamed for some of what I'm about to say, but someone's got to do the dirty work. So here goes......

I think one of the problems of R&B in the Philippines is that local musicians haven't figured out how to assimilate the genre into our musical culture. I hate to say this, but having heard what passes for R&B locally, I've come to the conclusion that those musicians don't quite understand the fundamental contexts of African-American music. In short, they simply don't "get it". This lack of understanding therefore renders them unable to assimilate these into Philippine culture. The rock scene solved this problem decades ago. JDLC, The Dawn, The Eraserheads, Joey Ayala, and a host of others got it right either instinctively or purposively. The same is true with the "pop" scene. But R&B (and regretfully, Jazz) failed to follow through on the occasions when they were on the threshold of achieving critical mass. 

So until the local R&B musicians "get" the Afro-American context, and how to assimilate it into Philippine culture, R&B will remain remote and irrelevant to the "masa" and the local music scene at large.

--- End quote ---

oh yea i agree wit you.. but i thought bout it but actually didnt want to mention it or just didnt want to say the truth ;-)

xavier:
tama si mr. makinao.

pero i'm wondering kung bakit walang nag-evolve na RnB mula sa pinoy blues/rock. okey sana yung environment nung 90's pero na-dampen yata ng eraserheads and the bands that followed tsaka ng grunge.

*sayang talaga kasi araw araw may ipinanganganak na makikisunod lang sa uso. haha  :lol: let's just hope na may makakakuha ng pinoy RnB feel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version