hulika

Author Topic: I think I want to add a room mic  (Read 2166 times)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
I think I want to add a room mic
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
I've noticed for quite some time now when making video demos that the 'disposable' audio from my cameras seem to add a dynamic liveliness to the closed mic cabs or guitars.  Hence, on video editing, I'm always torn whether or not to mix in a bit of that camera audio.

However, depending on the amount I mix in, it can sound too raw or amateurish.  Maybe a room mic is what I need?  I want the same bounce and transient feel of pick attack and other dynamic qualities, without degradation of the signal fidelity the way camera mics tend to do.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I think I want to add a room mic
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
I've noticed for quite some time now when making video demos that the 'disposable' audio from my cameras seem to add a dynamic liveliness to the closed mic cabs or guitars.  Hence, on video editing, I'm always torn whether or not to mix in a bit of that camera audio.

However, depending on the amount I mix in, it can sound too raw or amateurish.  Maybe a room mic is what I need?  I want the same bounce and transient feel of pick attack and other dynamic qualities, without degradation of the signal fidelity the way camera mics tend to do.

yes, that will work. LDCs will work very well for this, though any condenser can do the job.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »

yes paps. mas okay talga pag may room ka para makacapture ng natural reverb. Large Diaphragm Condenser para simple lang.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

yes paps. mas okay talga pag may room ka para makacapture ng natural reverb. Large Diaphragm Condenser para simple lang.

Iba rin yung pag-capture nya sa buga ng speakers kasi.  It feels more 'live performance'.  On the other hand, maybe the reason I hesitate to mix it in, I get room reflections that are not very nice.  Need to have a well-treated room, yes?
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
Iba rin yung pag-capture nya sa buga ng speakers kasi.  It feels more 'live performance'.  On the other hand, maybe the reason I hesitate to mix it in, I get room reflections that are not very nice.  Need to have a well-treated room, yes?

It will help, but not necessarily. first order of business is to try to find the best sounding spot in the room. it could be up at the ceiling or down on the ground, sometimes even behind the sound source. Actually you can also experiment in moving the sound source around to create a balanced room sound. if the bad reflections are still there, then you can start treating the room, but don't be overkill about it, because if you end up with a dead room, you might as well use a small room impulse reverb.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »

matresses ang tick curtains will do bro.

if you're looking for natural sounding cabs and amps, look at Amplitube 3 and Positive Grid's JamUp/BIAS

used to mic amps, then I discovered those VSTs. with the proper settings, it really sounds like the real thing.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »

if you're looking for natural sounding cabs and amps, look at Amplitube 3 and Positive Grid's JamUp/BIAS

used to mic amps, then I discovered those VSTs. with the proper settings, it really sounds like the real thing.

bit OT:

Ayaw mo na sa guitar rig? :)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »

I would also suggest this, but since TS wanted room mic techniques, I went for that. Amplitube sounds pretty good. Guitar Rig as well. Including the room simulators, yeah.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »
bit OT:

Ayaw mo na sa guitar rig? :)

i use guitar rig for clean and modulated sounds. the dirts in guitar rig sound a wee bit sterile for me.

though nakarinig ako ng mix ni MYN11 using the Guitar Rig 5 and wow. kanya kanyang tweak talaga.

pero ease of use to achieve that "Room" Sound, kay amplitube ako at BIAS kasi may room mic's sila.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
I happen to like (or like to capture) the character of my amps.  ^-^

I go with the digital solutions myself on occasion. Redwirez IR's and such.

Right now, I'm thinking something like the Zoom iQ5 to attach to my Ipad for better quality.  That way, I can close mic the cab, simultaneously hit record on the videocam app, then sync them later on Premiere Pro.

Btw, thanks for the suggestions so far.

I usually think about the room mic when I already get to video editing.  Tapos na yung audio tracks.  Mixing in that crappy mic from the camera is always an "aha!" moment.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »

Right now, I'm thinking something like the Zoom iQ5 to attach to my Ipad for better quality.  That way, I can close mic the cab, simultaneously hit record on the videocam app, then sync them later on Premiere Pro.

I usually think about the room mic when I already get to video editing.  Tapos na yung audio tracks.  Mixing in that crappy mic from the camera is always an "aha!" moment.

I definitely get what you mean. hinahanap parin natin yung pagka organic eh :D

pwede yung IQ5 solution pero shet, hassle sa pag sync ng audio :( pero kung okay lang naman, go! mas okay rin yun kasi XY na si iQ5, at least you get depth din sa room :D pero yun nga, thick curtainss and matresses para ma lesses yung bounce ng sound sa walls :D

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »

Zoo iQ5 is a great idea, pwedeng pwede yan

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »
Oo nga eh.  As soon as I think room mic, the 'room' part is an automatic concern. :-D I just use a clap or a thunk on my strings to help with syncing.

Also, the line6 toneport ZX (or was it ZV) also came out recently, has a built-in mic as well, but with other functions it drives up to a an SRP of $200.  At least the zoom options are wallet-friendly.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »
Oo nga eh.  As soon as I think room mic, the 'room' part is an automatic concern. :-D I just use a clap or a thunk on my strings to help with syncing.

Also, the line6 toneport ZX (or was it ZV) also came out recently, has a built-in mic as well, but with other functions it drives up to a an SRP of $200.  At least the zoom options are wallet-friendly.

yung nagcclap sa harapan ng camer, but dont edit it out para fun  :lol: