hulika

Author Topic: Analog vs. Digital delay  (Read 11373 times)

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
Analog vs. Digital delay
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »
What's the difference? Advantages of one over the other? pls. share.  :D

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 12:20:15 AM »
Quote from: ioffendpeople
What's the difference? Advantages of one over the other? pls. share.  :D

digital to some is considered harsh, cold and sterile sounding but they have tap-tempo, crystal clear delays AND longer delay time.

analog are considered to be warm sounding with darker tones( the repeats degrade which means it will sound muddier as it trails away), shorter delay times and usually no tap tempo except for some new boutique analog delays with tap tempo namely the memory lane by diamond pedals. These days the digital emulation tsaka mga digital pedals are very good in sound namely the dd3, dd5, dd6 and the dd-20 and yung naayos na na issue ng echopark by line6.
Just so u know these days the Edge goes digital with his delays namely the KORG SDD300http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/...peace 8) http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 03:41:55 AM »
I used to have an analog Bucket Brigade delay.

Couldnt stand the noise. Of course my experience is limited by that singular example, but IMHO if you go analog with your delay, better get a noise gate ready at the end of your signal path.

BAMF
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »
For me, I prefer Analog Delay because it sounds more natural to my ears.  In fact, I am using an old Boss DM2 unit.  I dont know about noise in Analog Delays but my DM2 sounds ok.  Analog Delays have a tendency to roll off some presence but if your guitar and amp have natural presence, you can restore presence in some way.  Digital Delays have an advantage over Analog Delays in terms of longer delay times.

Other than that, I agree with most of the posts above.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 07:43:42 AM »
I use digital delay becuase it suits my taste in music.....and I like it.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
For me, I prefer Analog Delay because it sounds more natural to my ears.  In fact, I am using an old Boss DM2 unit.  I dont know about noise in Analog Delays but my DM2 sounds ok.  Analog Delays have a tendency to roll off some presence but if your guitar and amp have natural presence, you can restore presence in some way.  Digital Delays have an advantage over Analog Delays in terms of longer delay times.

Other than that, I agree with most of the posts above.

what's the longest delay time for your analog delay? Or better yet analog delays in general?  i'm thinking of trying out an analog delay to A/B with my RV3.

Offline ralphot

Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:31:35 AM »
i have an arion sad-3 (was looking for an sad-1, but is very hard to find these days) - analog na stereo delay. the delays are very short, dark, muddy and too low on the mix to be even noticed. i use it mainly for its self-oscillation capabilities and not as a delay box per se.

a typical boss digital delay naman (dd-3 to 6) has a certain metallic ping to them when used on shorter delay modes. but the repeats are brighter and mas ramdam sa mix.

compared to a boss digi delay stomp, similar yung rv-3 to my sad-3 sonically (for my ears) - the delays tend to sound dark and muffled.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Analog vs. Digital delay
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
Quote from: ralphot

compared to a boss digi delay stomp, similar yung rv-3 to my sad-3 sonically (for my ears) - the delays tend to sound dark and muffled.

..thats why im on the lookout for a boss rv3...oh kayo jan na ayaw na rv3 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
Ibinabalik lang ang thread patungkol sa analog at digital delay kayo dyan.....

who is using both in the chain and settings to share? Im using both digital delays and just want to change the other one for an analog type any suggestions? May it be DIY pedals ok din! :lol:
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline anoemous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
wow ayos to ah  :lol:

tanong ko na din, anong brand ng delay ang maganda na pwede mag store ng madaming settings ng delay? sa mga songs kasi namin i use a lot of delay in different settings. kaya ngayon multi effects na lang muna ang ginagamit ko. im thinking of either dd20 or line 6 kasi  :-)
Lurking Philmusic since 2006

Offline saijo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
^throw in a nova delay
These pranks are very insensitive and mean-spirited.

Offline pangalan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
I had a DL4 and an RV-3. I liked them. With DL-4, maraming options, and you can store a few settings. RV-3 naman, the combination of the reverb and delay is amazing.
I put these away after getting a DM-2. The sound is just more natural to me, eventhough the delay time is pretty damn short (about 300 ms?), the weird crazy oscillations definitely make up for it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:20:20 AM by pangalan »

Saturn/Return

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 02:42:36 AM »
Ibinabalik lang ang thread patungkol sa analog at digital delay kayo dyan.....

who is using both in the chain and settings to share? Im using both digital delays and just want to change the other one for an analog type any suggestions? May it be DIY pedals ok din! :lol:

I have one of each on my board :-) Can't live without one or the other. They're two different animals and I love both equally. Sounds great when cascaded too.

Try the artec analog delay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zBl65_iVc

Or the carbon copy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJPde-C28iU

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:05 AM »
I prefer digital delay. I'm not too crazy about the tone alteration that analog delay units inherently do. I've been using TC Electronic delay units (Vintage Delay, Nova Delay) for the past two years and so far, I'm completely satisfied with both.

For anoemous:
Here are some delay pedals that can store multiple settings:
- Line 6 DL-4
- TC Electronic Nova Delay
- Eventide TimeFactor
- Empress Super Delay
- DigiTech Time Bender
- BOSS DD-20
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline smartkat

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 03:16:54 AM »
definitely analog. It sounds right and natural.
Quote from: ning
ano ba meaning ng up?  :D

Offline Jejan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 03:20:33 AM »
I really like the sound of the Digital Delay. The sound is consistent.

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 05:53:31 AM »
^throw in a nova delay

haha im such a fan of nova delays...I'm incomplete without it in my board :-D
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
i guess digital (dd3) but i'm waiting for my hardwire dl8 (hybrid?)  :lol:

for analog delays i'll use it for reverb simulation only  :lol:

Offline anoemous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
I prefer digital delay. I'm not too crazy about the tone alteration that analog delay units inherently do. I've been using TC Electronic delay units (Vintage Delay, Nova Delay) for the past two years and so far, I'm completely satisfied with both.

For anoemous:
Here are some delay pedals that can store multiple settings:
- Line 6 DL-4
- TC Electronic Nova Delay
- Eventide TimeFactor
- Empress Super Delay
- DigiTech Time Bender
- BOSS DD-20

^throw in a nova delay

thanks for the tips!  :-) ill try to look for demos in youtube so that i can decide which delay is suitable for me  :-) as of now mukhang ok yung line 6 dl4 although i heard that may mga issues daw dun in terms of reliability of the unit.  :-)
Lurking Philmusic since 2006

Offline Opay21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
In my opinion and my style of playing, I use DD's for ping pong  effects. My analogue delay(antala) is almost on all the time. :-D Gives my tone a bit more character.
"Are you saying that now, things are going to be beautiful?"

"I'm saying things will be what they are"

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
DD3s lalo na pag MIJ cover a lot of ground for me. I mainly use an old boss dm3 for slapback duties.

If i wanna go loco yung udstomp by yamaha oks sya.

Anolog tsaka Digital rocks my world.

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 06:40:17 AM »

Anolog tsaka Digital rocks my world.

I'm willing to try for this setup... :-D what is your setting btw sir? care to share..

Make God Famous

Offline micl0x0

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 04:28:04 AM »
tama! why not use both.

Offline omarrodriguezvic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 04:38:46 AM »
both of them ay may ibat ibang character.. kung ano maganda sayo yun ang kunin. mas maganda if you have both. I currently have arion sad-1 and planning to get a digital delay para doble saya..

Offline paperlungs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 04:42:56 AM »
IMO,it's better to have both of them on your board.