hulika

Author Topic: Boss GT10 users thread  (Read 323786 times)

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Re: New Boss GT10 users thread
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »
Here's a short DEMO on Dirt and Clean sound, first is ON and alternatively OFF and ON. Use headphone for more clearer monitoring. See how enhance and clean of the heavy punch on the dirt side and sparkling sound when ON for the clean side.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=867539&content=songinfo&songID=7426118

Sparkling High, Warm Mid and Controlled Bass Response.

Roger
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:01:50 PM by rogeryu »

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »
may mga gumagawa ba nito ng power amp section lang at speakers? para sana sa gt10 ko, sayang kasi yung pre amp feature kung bibili pa ako ng amp with a killer pre amp. di ko naman gagamitin dahil direct to power amp naman ako sa fx loop

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #302 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:48 AM »
Well, i'm using an Atomic Reactor, which is basically a power amp with a fairly neutral sounding speaker.

On the other hand, getting a good full guitar amp isn't a bad idea, either. Who knows, patching the preamp through the GT-10's S/R might be a great solution for you.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »
may mga gumagawa ba nito ng power amp section lang at speakers? para sana sa gt10 ko, sayang kasi yung pre amp feature kung bibili pa ako ng amp with a killer pre amp. di ko naman gagamitin dahil direct to power amp naman ako sa fx loop

Yes, Al is correct. you may then take the advantage using both 4CM and the COSM preamp there.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

get a crate powerblock.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline blackdogg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »
I use a Tech21 Power Engine 60.  :-D

Anyway, update on rogeryu's DEC. After gigging with the DEC for 2 nights, it's still a love/hate relation at the moment  :lol: LOVE because it does get rid of the fizz issues, making the sound more un-digital(?) :wink: HATE because I had to re-do all my patches from scratch! The 1st night I thought I found  the "sweet spot" with the DEC's knob around 9 o'clock, then I observed the overall tone was too dark, boomy, and muddy at times..I blamed it on the defective amp of the club so the next night, I brought my amp, patches from clean to slight OD to medium gain tones were ok but still I found the overall tone dark, lacking from brilliance, and "good" high frequencies. But man, my hi-gain tones were really horrible :lol: even made amp-fart sound with palm mutes :lol: I guess becaise it was when i was tweaking my tones without the DEC before that I cut all high frequencies and over-compensated with the LO and mid frequencies!

Anyway I was messing the DEC with the preset tones and I heard some good tones with the DEC on/off, this time, with the DEC's knob setting around 12-1 o'clock position, depending with the patch. But again, tweaking is still required.

I will try to post sound clips in a couple of days...back to some more serious tweaking  :roll:

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »
 :-)I suppose you mean your GT10 now sounds more ANALOG...like a real pedal and amp  :-D  Now you really RULE.. :lol:
Correct, cutting those high freq specially for our highgain stuff to notch out the offending fizz frequencies would possibly compromising the overall “tonal effectiveness” of your patch in the process and YET you still end up and totally can't eliminate it. For something sure you'll never ever switch OFF the DEC like mine even for clean patches, it's a set and forget thing 8-)
We really appreciate you sharing us a video or sound clip if you find time to make and post it. BTW, i recalibrate and totally start my patches from the scratch and never ever re tweak it whenever i use it maybe because it sounded perfect unlike before without the DEC stomp :lol:  Now your next GAS stop is a SONIC MAXIMIZER bhua hahahaa. Just like i did, this is totally different. Man this never stop ano.....bumabaha na ng pedal ang bahay ko!!!!!

Offline blackdogg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »
OK, so here are some GT-10 Preset Patches I recorded with rogeryu's DEC/Fizz Suppresor.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=934587&content=music

My set-up;
Ibanez JPM100 P4-->GT-10-->DEC (in S/R)-->Boss Micro BR Digital Recorder.

Don't mind the sloppy playing, tell me what you think about the DEC?

Still have to tweak the DEC with my own patches, now that I use a BBE Sonic Stomp. :wink:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:21:25 AM by blackdogg »

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
Guy, listen and monitor through your headphone!!! these clips blows my head out...love that Marshallish analog Higain tube-like clean distorted sound with the DEC ON compared to OFF insect arthropodigitalized sound, no more digital sharp edge only round smooth warm analog sounds to me. That clean theater patch sound more sparkling when it is ON.

@ blackdogg, if your experiencing clipping, adjust level down the SEND/RETURN level a bit. Nice recording... will wait with your SONIC MAXIMIZER on it. Include with the backtrack would be great....

Remember we have different computer speaker, headphone might get close to what the poster's GT yielded output clips/demo. Pls monitor thru Headphone first before you makes comments. Thanks comrade.

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:05 AM »
OK, so here are some GT-10 Preset Patches I recorded with rogeryu's DEC/Fizz Suppresor.

My set-up;

Still have to tweak the DEC with my own patches, now that I use a BBE Sonic Stomp. :wink:

Wow Convincing!!!  :-D Kumbinsido ako sa clean sounds!!

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2009, 12:14:58 PM »

My set-up;

what's your output, bro?  line/phone out?  and how do you connect to the recorder, unbalanced out? usb out? headphone out?  is the DEC at the very end of the chain?  to be honest, your tone sounds more sparkly and alive before the DEC is on.  an in-depth description of your setup can really help figure things out.

i'm interested in a DEC stomp too, so it behooves me to see blackdogg get a great sound out of it...
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline blackdogg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2009, 02:31:12 PM »
what's your output, bro?  line/phone out?  and how do you connect to the recorder, unbalanced out? usb out? headphone out?  is the DEC at the very end of the chain?  to be honest, your tone sounds more sparkly and alive before the DEC is on.  an in-depth description of your setup can really help figure things out.

i'm interested in a DEC stomp too, so it behooves me to see blackdogg get a great sound out of it...

Hi, first of all, I just tested the DEC with the GT-10s preset, which are horrible by the way (like any other preset patches) so I just thought, let's see what this things can do with BAD sounding presets :lol:

I am not really done re-tweaking my patches coz it does take a while to adjust my patches with the DEC, and thinking of using a sonic stomp at the end now to bring up the tone.

About Tapslore's question, here's my setup:

OUTPUT: Always LINE/PHONES
RECORDER: Boss Micro BR. Lines/Phones Output of the GT10 to the Lines/Phones Input of the Micro BR.
DEC is in the SEND/RETURN block (mode: NORMAL send:100 return: 120-130) and placed AFTER the PREAMP and BEFORE the EQ block.

Offline blackdogg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »

messy.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
nice setup :-D.

it's interesting how you put the DEC before the eq block.  have you tried adding it at the very end of the signal chain? 

i'm actually very happy with my gt-10 setup, but my rig's for live use - 4x12 speakers have a lot of phasing mojo that get rid of a lot of fizz.  i'm really considering the DEC for recording, when line/phone outputs are most important, and i NEVER found a good sound thru headphones.

Offline blackdogg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #314 on: March 19, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
nice setup :-D.

it's interesting how you put the DEC before the eq block.  have you tried adding it at the very end of the signal chain? 

i'm actually very happy with my gt-10 setup, but my rig's for live use - 4x12 speakers have a lot of phasing mojo that get rid of a lot of fizz.  i'm really considering the DEC for recording, when line/phone outputs are most important, and i NEVER found a good sound thru headphones.

Press Master button, scroll to FX chain, then lock in the S/R block and move it along the chain.
Yes i have tried the DEC at the end of the chain, that is, gt-10--L/MONO out-->amp input

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »
Hi Tapslore,
I suggest you drop by on my house with your free time. We can not discuss this very topic verbally but hearing will do more explaining than I could describe in any post. DEC is a subtle device co'z you see Fizz is a very subtle matter, and not everyone is hearing it, yet some may but stubborn to admit their unit has, there are some who admit but say they can just eQ it the rest doesn't even know it exist. Well, for me it's their own music, tone and standard. If you're happy then your successful i may say isn't. I suggested to use headphone to monitor the demo clips given by Blackdogg to monitor closely the FIZZ co'z i can't even hear it on my laptop and office PC speaker. Now if you find the demo lo-fi in sounding on DEC portion is because that patch is a preset made by Boss. I recommend blackdogg to make his own patch and not to hesistate to push highgain out of the border co'z this time he has the DEC on as his FIZZWALL. DEC doesn't rob you of your tone probe that blackdogg uses 12'oclock setting on all of his demo but you can see his CLEAN THEATER sounded the same only just sparkling with the DEC oN. This proved that the DEC was designed biased to you INPUT signal, now the distorted/tion part of the demo was fizz been stripped off by the DEC and the true SIM sounding reveal it own COLOR and you  can just easily EQ adjust it to HI-FI if your ear is needing more, it's easy.... I'm not using preset patch not saying it's bad but making one with DEC is really the most effective way.

Here's read kewlpack thought about FIZZ and HC, i'm not saying DEC is the same with HC but i did it on my own way to combat the issue, this is my tool and life saver and i'm not offering it to you just sharing as your comrade in GT.
BTW if someone you know who has an HC, i would be very much like to A/B the two so as to make similar with few adjustment if needed.
Kewlpack by the way if you don't know him is a very respectable and knowledgable i may say when it comes to MULTIFX and he own lot or almost multifx which i read somewhere posted, anyway. You can PM the him, the guy is also a member of GTcentral but seldomly post nowadays.
http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=5838&highlight=fizz

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2009, 12:55:03 AM »
thanks for the reply, bro.  since my gt-10 is setup for live, i hardly hear the fizz that folks experience tracking with headphones.  but since i'm planning to make recordings of my own in the future, i'm definitely thinking about trying your DEC.

but first things first, i have to start tweaking some patches for direct recording. my original plan was to use the XLR line out of the Crate Powerblock into a Fast Track, into Sonic Foundry. if the fizz shows up then, i'll py you a visit :-D

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »
Sure comrade, currently my adrenaline for making/building a unit is not that anymore inspired as before, i'm missing my moments with my family especially when Sunday my only time i got to go out with them. I still left 1 pcb which i made last December holiday but still out of the box and just keep it for the time being. Everytime i got little spare moments i'm so hesitate to pick up my soldering tool just to finished that up and opt instead just to play around with my GT and get some practice. All in all I already built 4 units which i shared 3 of them and one personal that i'm using, it's becoming tediuos if you know what i mean.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
finally tried tweaking with line/phone output today.  i see what you mean - grabe yung fizz over the phones, from the GT-10 or through the powerblock.  eqing and todo reverb kinda helps for clean to medium gain patches, but high gain is very disappointing.

will try to record something this weekend...

rogeryu, care to pm me your cell? usap tayo, sir, maybe that last pcb is for me :-)

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »
Sir roger question po pala, nagbabago ba yung response ng EQ pag may DEC or parang filter lang siya for a specific freq na range nung fizz?

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #320 on: March 21, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Sir roger question po pala, nagbabago ba yung response ng EQ pag may DEC or parang filter lang siya for a specific freq na range nung fizz?

Yes pizarro, nagbabago siya o nababago siya ng post EQ to further adjust to your desired tone, but this time wala na siyang fizz filtered out kung baga sa tubig malinis na siya puwede mo ng timplahan ng kahit anong juice (eq) mo at ready ng inumin kahit walang juice kung plain water puwede rin. Analogy ko ok lng ba?....  :lol: hirap at ayaw ko an rin sana mag paliwanag kasi baka may masabi pa yon iba na pinipilit ko gumamit kayo ng DEC. I just wanna stay LOW PROFILE na, tapos na rin lang problema ko and i'm very satisfied enough with my GT10. I realize now how Radley feels where somebody criticized or has critique on his works, maybe that's a different case pero gusto ko umiwas sa mga ganun and hope you and all of our comrade here getting my point.

Just wanna enjoy our GT :-)

Offline inkslingerx

« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
hirap at ayaw ko an rin sana mag paliwanag kasi baka may masabi pa yon iba na pinipilit ko gumamit kayo ng DEC. I just wanna stay LOW PROFILE na, tapos na rin lang problema ko and i'm very satisfied enough with my GT10.

+1000

tone cannot be described in writtings... you just have to try it and hear it. and im just thankful i did try it. and i worked well with my zoom 505 as well, dati nakatambak nalang sya sa tabi, but now i have no plans of letting it go. :-D

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
rogeryu, sorry to hear that.  as with all new things, people will always start out skeptical. but if your product's worth it, people will eventually come around. i for one am willing to give your DEC stomp a shot, i just hope i haven't missed my opportunity. have faith, bro.

Offline Ayanei52

« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2009, 03:13:54 AM »
guys

ang BOSS ba talaga ay "MIT"
lahat mapa stomp or multi?

my GT-10 is "MIT"

sensya na guys

NEwb here!^^

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »
guys

ang BOSS ba talaga ay "MIT"
lahat mapa stomp or multi?

my GT-10 is "MIT"

sensya na guys

NEwb here!^^

MIT?! I supposed you meant by MAHIRAP E TWEAK, am i right?
Well if it is, welcome to the nightmare of multiFX :lol:
Stompbox if you have a few say 2to3 stomps going ON it's not that difficult, with 5to8 ON!! wow medyo difficult na rin yan why? kc once you had it tweaked you never or can ever have some more kaya nasasabi natin ok na ang position or range even the placement especially few stomps, nevertheless medyo mabilis bilis, I still do have my stompboxes BTW but on Multifx, you have such a vast options/flexibilty and never ending sounding tone on your kitchen and would even sometime over cooked done your tone and in the process sunog ang luto mo you become dismay and dissappointed blaming it on now to the innocent unit :lol: Not including the vague instructions pa ha on how to use it and not just the Boss multifx....Hope it make sense...
If not, what is MIT?? Mapua Institute of Technology? diyan ako nag High School eh :wink: Di ko sinasabi maganda MIT ha, heehhhee  Cardinals go go cardinals fight fight, cardinal, cardinal, fight team fight!!!