hulika

Author Topic: Any non-christian praise/worship musicians?  (Read 9936 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Any non-christian praise/worship musicians?
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
I mean, I'm not, but if the song's about worshiping or praising [insert deity here], it's still about "praise & worship", isn't it?
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline rayq78

Re: Any non-christian praise/worship musicians?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
Worship other than the God in the Bible is an act of worship to satan.

I would like to take this opportunity to witness to all fellow Philmusicians forumites.
For it is written...
I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father(GOD) except through me (Christ Jesus). - John 14:6
That is exclusivity...no other way...no other truth...no other that gives life (ZOE not BIO).
Buddhism did not claim that...
Mohammed did not claim that...
Mr. Manalo formed a false religion and ignored that Christ's statement...
Hinduism has nothing to do with it...
Rizalistas is a dumb religion...
and "google it" list goes on.
All these so called "religions" way of salvation is based on "good works".

In christianity...what I meant was a real christian, who was born again (cited at John 3)
Salvation is only by the GRACE of God. By grace through faith alone. (Period)
Grace is something we cannot earn. Something we don't deserve that is awarded to us.
We cannot provide salvation for ourselves such as good works and giving all the money to the poor.
All these are just filthy rags.
Good works is the result of our obedience to God. But still...no one is saved by doing good deeds.

"8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we(real christians) are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." - Ephesians 2:8-10.

So my point is...anything that is worshiped which has nothing to do with God (the one who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them - Acts 14:16). Is an act of blasphemy. (Exodus 20)

8 "But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, IDOLATERS, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” - Revelations 21:8

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many, and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. - (Heb 9:27-28)

If God judges us based on what is in our conscience (10 commandments). We will all perish.
So thanks to the GRACE of God. Christ Jesus our Lord took our punishment and paid our death penalty.
God allows us to live by His grace through Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.

BTW...Its not a matter of opinion. It is about the truth of the true living God that was described in the Holy Scripture (The Bible).

Do the good person test @ www.needGod.com
Help spread the word to the atheists @ www.evolutionVsGod.com
Help save the unborn @ www.180movie.com
For BEATLES fanatics @ www.geniusthemovie.com  BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES BEATLES!!!!

Please Share and fulfill the great commission. Mark 16:15

"for God so love the world that He gave is only begotten Son, for whoever believes in Him will not perish and be granted the everlasting life" - John 3:16
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:18:28 PM by rayq78 »
Witness to an atheist or agnostic
www.evolutionVsGod.com

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:22 PM »
That doesnt answer the question. Please dont expound more.

Offline jetskie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:34:13 AM »
The question maybe one of the most difficult to answer... I hope this will inspire people to seek God rather than debate on it...I'm sure is not His intention...

My answer would be: YES, if it "lifts, magnifies, praises God, etc..." and scripturally based, then it qualifies as a praise and worship song. All i know is not all songs that has the word "God" in it be considered a worship song or praise song (i.e. WHAT IF GOD IS ONE OF US by Cranberries ???)... unless it is scripturally based, usually from the psalms, it's not worship... written by King David, a man after God's heart... (pinapataba nya ang puso ni God perhaps)..

Usually, if the song talks about His "value, weight, worth", when the phrases describes these, then it is praise and worship...everything is about WHO HE IS, it focuses on His being, not our experience and feeling. Now it does makes sense to me, that WE his creations, ought to worship and praise Him regardless whether we feel it or not. In our eyes, (and understanding), we may not see everything, but we do it in faith, nonetheless...But if it only talks about how it makes us feel, for me it borders as a "inspirational songs"... most of which are not based on scriptures anymore... so the focus is on the "feelings" not God... even when the song feels good, it does not really give you the answers, it's just an emotional high... but if it's from the bible, your heart usually gets settled, your spirit silence, your questions answered...

We heard the phrase GOD IS GOOD!. Why is he only good? Well, because there is  NO ONE BETTER... or BEST than Him... it's pretty much clear and logical to me...

That is when we look at it from our eyes...

Here's the clincher: Whether we worship him or not, it does not add to already infinite Glory or diminish His love for us... perhaps that is why the question is difficult because indeed, "No eye has seen, nor ear has heard, no mind can ever conceive...". there will never enough songs to go around to describe who God is... it was meant to be that way... (all the more we should compose bible based music).

"but in IN HIS EYES, it's about you and his love for you!"

I know my answer will not satisfy you completely... that will be God's job AND HE IS GOOD AT IT... just wait for Him...

God bless pre! i know you're seeking for answers, just like the rest of us, (im no better than you...) but believe me, He found you already, just say "LORD JESUS, I WANT TO SEE!" =)

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:17:19 AM »
Let's not turn this thread into another AGT type religious debate/discussion thread. I believe what the TS is looking for are musicians who play music for other known and respectable religion/beliefs. A quick google search did answered my question indeed:

Religious music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_music
  • Christian music
  • Hindu music
  • Sikh music
  • Jewish music
  • Islamic music
  • Rastafarian music
  • Shintō music
  • Buddhist music
  • Zoroastrian music
and the list goes on.. I'm not against anyone's beliefs right here, nor am I siding with anyone else. Keep an open mind and respect each other's beliefs (and posts for that matter as well) :-D

Offline crouchdash

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:53:50 AM »
I mean, I'm not, but if the song's about worshiping or praising [GOD], it's still about "praise & worship", isn't it?
Yes. or else the rocks will cry out.  :)
If you wanna kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel..."On your knees boy!"

Offline rayq78

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
Simple..worship of anything other than the God of all creation is Idolatry.

God bless...=)

www.evolutionVsGod.com
Witness to an atheist or agnostic
www.evolutionVsGod.com

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
Let's not turn this thread into another AGT type religious debate/discussion thread. I believe what the TS is looking for are musicians who play music for other known and respectable religion/beliefs. A quick google search did answered my question indeed:

Religious music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_music
  • Christian music
  • Hindu music
  • Sikh music
  • Jewish music
  • Islamic music
  • Rastafarian music
  • Shintō music
  • Buddhist music
  • Zoroastrian music
and the list goes on.. I'm not against anyone's beliefs right here, nor am I siding with anyone else. Keep an open mind and respect each other's beliefs (and posts for that matter as well) :-D

Thanks man.

I encountered a group involved in Transcendental Meditation. They were in the same gig as we were in RJ Bistro in Dusit a few weeks back. What they're doing wasn't worship, though. When we asked one of them who was videotaping the thing on the side "how long does the song last?" (because it had been going on for nearly 10 mins) he said "it's not a song". It wasn't a prayer either daw. It involved "hare hare" and "krishna krishna" stuff. We didn't get an answer on what they were doing.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:52:51 PM »
It's called "chanting"... chanting the holy names of God.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
It's called "chanting"... chanting the holy names of God.

Ya that was an obvious answer. Do you know the purpose of the chanting?

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »

it's a form of meditation to lift oneself to a higher self awareness. they are not worshiping a god and and it's not a song. it's a mantra.

And it was Joan Osbourne who sang "One Of Us".
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »

That is really what it is called and it is deeper than what you think. If you have to ask, you will never know. Also, it is not about religion. It is a philosophy.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
I think the forum title made this forum "exclusive" to Christians. Hence, the preceding replies to the theadstarter's question. "Gospel" is a Christian term nowadays. It is unlikely that whoever created this forum was thinking of "gospel" as its universal term.

Taken from Wikipedia:

In subsequent generations in the Levant and across the Roman empire, "gospel" came to refer to an account describing the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. This usage has since eclipsed the more general meaning of the term as an ancient cultural event. The most widely known examples are the four canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, but the term is also used to refer to the apocryphal gospels, the non-canonical gospels, the Jewish-Christian gospels and the gnostic gospels.

It's like getting inside any church and ask about stuff other than what they believe in. Don't be surprised of the responses you get. It's close to "barking up the wrong tree."  :)

PS. It's like like getting inside Jollibee and ask if they have McChicken because it's chicken anyway.

Offline uncle_itlog

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
I mean, I'm not, but if the song's about worshiping or praising [insert deity here], it's still about "praise & worship", isn't it?

With all due respect sir. May I ask for you to rephrase or clarify the question? I am interested to know the point of this query and perhaps help me later on with my own questions in life . You seem to be asking about the incident at Dusit and do you mean to ask if what they were doing is a form of "praise and worship"? And how come you have to enclose that phrase in quotation marks? Thank you very much.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 02:06:24 AM »
With all due respect sir. May I ask for you to rephrase or clarify the question? I am interested to know the point of this query and perhaps help me later on with my own questions in life . You seem to be asking about the incident at Dusit and do you mean to ask if what they were doing is a form of "praise and worship"? And how come you have to enclose that phrase in quotation marks? Thank you very much.

I was asking if there were any other musicians that praise and worship dieties other than the Christian/Catholic one. The point of my question is that I am curious that I haven't heard of a musical group in Philmusic who is in a non-christian praise and worship group.

Yes, I mentioned the group that performed in Dusit. But I didn't say they were doing "praise and worship".

I enclosed "praise and worship" in the first thread in quotation marks to lump it together, as if I was quoting the label. I'm suddenly curious why you asked.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 02:09:24 AM »
I think the forum title made this forum "exclusive" to Christians. Hence, the preceding replies to the theadstarter's question. "Gospel" is a Christian term nowadays. It is unlikely that whoever created this forum was thinking of "gospel" as its universal term.

Good point. Do you think the thread's out of place then? (Sa Anything Goes na lang?)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 02:12:50 AM »
That is really what it is called and it is deeper than what you think. If you have to ask, you will never know. Also, it is not about religion. It is a philosophy.

it's a form of meditation to lift oneself to a higher self awareness. they are not worshiping a god and and it's not a song. it's a mantra.

There you go. Thank you.

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 11:59:02 PM »
Good point. Do you think the thread's out of place then? (Sa Anything Goes na lang?)
Nah, it's not out of place. Same as the earlier, long answers you got. I think questions like this are very welcome in this forum but given the kind of arena you're in you will have to anticipate upselling answers. We will not  bash on McDo but we'll definitely give you more reasons to like Jollibee. We have strong faith in the brand, ya know. :)

Offline uncle_itlog

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
I enclosed "praise and worship" in the first thread in quotation marks to lump it together, as if I was quoting the label. I'm suddenly curious why you asked.
[/quote]

Actually, na-curious lang din naman ako and baka kasi ma-misinterpret ko ang question niyo kaya nag-clarify lang ako. Good topic though, na-motivate tuloy ako na mag-search ng mga other religious music.

Offline theredd

• Netizen Level
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 05:16:34 AM »
this is a very good question drummer bro, and as far as i know and as far as i have experienced YES whether you are a christian or not if you play your instrument to assist otehr musicians in worshipping it is still an act of worship. there is a passage in the bible (i cannot remember anymore haha  :-D) where david hired the best musicians in the region so that he can praise God and they all played their best and david praised and God was pleased.

when you worship God kasi, God as always would look at the heart no matter if you are singing with accompaniment from a track from the radio, or from the church, or while you are walking, or while you are just lying down, again the Lord looks at your heart and not at the musical set up.

in support of this, well known christian musicians like ron kenoly, don moen, and other integrity musicians would hire top calliber NON CHRISTIAN musicians to play their music and later on after ng concert doon lang na ssave ung mga musicians na ito and while in the concert God's presence flows through freely.

siguro kung hindi ka na lang christian at tumutugtug ka sa isang praise and worship service eh hindi mo na lang ma eenjoy ung presence ni Lord, but as long as the people woshipping has their heart on the right place then it will work out fine.