hulika

Author Topic: how do i get drum sounds.. without a drum or drum machine...  (Read 4983 times)

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
how do i get drum sounds.. without a drum or drum machine...
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »
guys

just wondering.. i want to try and record some songs that i have written. i have a guitar and bass guitar and have recorded them. but i cant seem to solve my problems with the drums. since i have no drums/drum machine/keyboard and i dont want to spend on them too.. any ideas?  is there like a software where the computer can be like a drum machine?

thanks

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »
Look for a software named "Band in a Box" from www.pgmusic.com. You can create entire accompaniments in soo many styles (I can't even find the time to explore them all !)
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:17:21 PM »
Try looking for Jamstix. There's a downloadable demo here.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
$$$
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:28:16 PM »
guys thanks sa reply..

pero ang mamahal.. $88 and $99.. wow.. wala bang cheaper alternatives?

medyo taghirap na ako ngayon. hehehhe..

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 06:03:20 AM »
Of course there's an alternative. <Cough> sa GH shoppesville :D.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
aaahhhh
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 08:57:11 AM »
ahh.. mayron palang ganung titiles dun.. thanks

i just might go window shopping for clothes  :wink:  this weekend..

thanks guys.

heres to making music for ourselves and noise to others. hahaha :D

Offline niggah

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
download mo fruity loops........
o kaya leaf drums yta un.. limot ko na e....
tas hanap ka na lang ng mga samples..... search mo na lang!..

post k na lang dito ulet.. pg nk download ka na :)  para dun sa kung paano ung gamitin :)
:) less post, less mistake!

Offline Sin™

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 08:46:58 AM »
..never tried fruity loops, but i heard from a friend (a drummer) na okay daw mga samples (let's say mga snares, tom's, etc.., .wav daw eh), pero gamit ko is Cakewalk Sonar, astig din yung processing n'ya sa MIDI, parang nagiging "acoustic/live" sounding din pad dinaan na sa "proseso".. and meron pang Session Drummer.. and from there you can mix it, edit, punch record, lahat na yata then burn into CD, it's worth more than a thousand dollars yata so mas maganda 'yun kesa sa $89 dollar application na nabanggit mo.. i got it for <cough!> 80bucks.. though they have a separate application for the guitarist in mind (Guitar Tracks 3), mas panalo pa rin yung Sonar. Pang Home recording talaga. And I think yun ang magugustuhan mo dahil Merong kang walang kapaguran na Session Drummer..

-Sin™

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 12:41:48 PM »
Quote from: Sin™
i got it for <cough!> 80bucks.. though they have a separate application for the guitarist in mind (Guitar Tracks 3), mas panalo pa rin yung Sonar. Pang Home recording talaga.

Uhmm... I paid $600 for my version of Sonar 4 PE and the real thing comes with a DVD of extra loops aside from a thick manual and an upgrade path. I'd take care with the 80 buck versions, though. I recently uncovered a trojan/worm in one.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
yahoo
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
guys
thanks for the reply..

ill try the cakewalk sonar.
but sad to say i cant afford $600.. or i am not willing to shell out the $600 for it. heheheh.. sana walang trojan makukuha ko.

i actually have recorded some songs of mine using the SONY VEGAS 5. but yun lang. wala syang session drummer.. so i had to record me banging on my cajon. which was not good at all. hahaha..  and i arranged my songs to be acoustic since im just using the cajon..

thanks peeps..

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
guitar tracks Pro
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »
hey guys..

i went through my old "installer" cds. and found Guitar tracks pro v2 by cakewalk..

im pretty familiar with the layout.. i was wondering if anyone knows if the guitar tracks can in any way have a drum  sounds?

any help would be appreciated. ty.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: yahoo
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 03:58:21 PM »
Quote from: airguitarist
ill try the cakewalk sonar.
but sad to say i cant afford $600.. or i am not willing to shell out the $600 for it. heheheh.. sana walang trojan makukuha ko.

Dude... hindi ako mayaman by any stretch of the imagination; just a struggling musician also. I'm just lucky to have a sis in NY to order Sonar for me and although nagipon ako to be able to pay her, I'm still paying for other soft like Cubase. Why? Because the programmers who made these software deserve it. Napapakinabangan natin yung pinaghirapan nila, it's time we gave them their due. EDIT: I originally said 'a little payback is completely justified' but it sounded completely wrong in this context.

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
kit c
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 09:04:48 AM »
kit..

ur right we need to purchase originals to compensate for the creators hard work.. the thing is (if i got it right) if u purchase a software, its the company who benefits from it. not the programmer per se.. i think the programmers normally get paid by, 1. salary (regular employee) 2. project based (meaning they sell thier software for x amount to the big software companies)

if this was an independent programmer: 1. i would pay for the software 2. it wouldnt cost as much (i think) hehehe...

bottom line is..  im just trying to come up with an excuse to "permanently borrow" softwares such as sonic and etc. hehehe :D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »
At least the programmers would still get paid. Cakewalk is really not that big a company, most of its technical staff are the original programmers, and it lives because it has a superior product. I would not want CW to die out due to piracy. The last thing we would want is for a bigger company to buy off CW then install their draconian copy protection schemes such as what Steinberg does. I have the dongle for my cubase and I hate it with a passion (but I really do like the soft very much). The lengths that steinberg programmers go to copy protect their software is now intruding into the program's stability and causing timing issues. I wouldn't want to see Sonar use a dongle, ever!

Look at Sony's acquisition of Sound Forge; for all we know, the Sony versions of SF installs a rootkit that calls home similar to their Sony CD fiasco. I agree that software should be made affordable and available to as many who need them. But the bottom line still remains -  if Cakewalk goes, we all lose.

There are ways to do this for free. I've discovered Music Studio Producer, a free midi/audio sequencer that can do vsti's. Just scroll down to DL the Producer version. It looks similar to early CW Pro Audio or Voyetra. Haven't played around with it much, though. If I find any more free stuff for us struggling musos, I will post links to them.

Offline zook

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 11:19:40 AM »
airguitarist,

If you have the bandwidth, why not download hydrogen? It's an open source drum machine program which is about 5.1 MB. It's open source, meaning the source code is freely available to everybody, and licensed under GPL (General Public License). With GPL, it is perfectly OK to make copies, distribute, alter or even sell the program for profit. This way, you don't have to do your window shopping. :)

The program was originally written for the Linux platform but there is a Windows XP installer. The only irriration for the XP version is that when you open the program, it also launches the DOS command prompt window. But, hey, the program is free of charge so why complain? As far as I know the Linux version does not exhibit any weird behavior.

With regards to its usage, hydrogen is easy to program and it comes with decent sounding drum presets. The user interface is easy enough to navigate. While I have never tried proprietary drum machine programs, hydrogen is good enough for me.

There are likewise a couple of open source sequencer and soft synth programs for Linux which, for lack of time, I have not yet tried. Rosegarden, Muse, Seq24 all look promising but I believe they have not been ported to Windows.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 01:28:18 PM »
Quote from: zook
There are likewise a couple of open source sequencer and soft synth programs for Linux which, for lack of time, I have not yet tried. Rosegarden, Muse, Seq24 all look promising but I believe they have not been ported to Windows.

@zook,

I have been seriously considering these esp. the Fervent Soft's Studio-to-go! which is a fully bootable linux cd containing these progs and more- said to be the most complete studio on a cd. Unfortunately, this is a paid compilation costing about 45 UK pounds (for the download edition) and I have given up credit card usage for almost a decade now. If you have used any of these linux distros, I'd like to know your thoughts. I've been planning on switching platforms for some time now.

TIA!

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 03:21:52 PM »
thanks zook..

im looking for hydrogen right now.

Offline airguitarist

• Netizen Level
wow..
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 03:38:45 PM »
talk about unstable..
it crashed on the third button i pressed. hahahaha..

no problem.. ill try it out tonight when i have time.

im still at work. hehe

thanks again guys.

Offline zook

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 09:47:28 PM »
KitC,

I've seen the screenshots of Studio-to-go! They look great. Too bad it's not free. I recently downloaded Dynebolic, a bootable linux CD, and played with it for roughly 30 minutes. I think it's far from complete. Somehow I felt that the product fell short of the hype created by its website. Actually, I couldn't make the darn thing work and lost interest. :) I will try to play with it again this weekend. What's interesting with Dynebolic is that you could setup your own computer cluster. Really cool!

Demudi is another interesting distribution. It's Debian-based and has a live CD version as well. I will definitely try it out.

airguitarist,

Hydrogen crashed? I have a suggestion. Switch to Linux and join the growing legion of Open Source zealots! Hehehe. It worked fine with my WinXP desktop at home though. I do hope when a later version comes out developers would be able to iron out this bug. You will be surprised, some open source projects churn out releases and updates quite fast.