hulika

Author Topic: SHOW ME YOUR AMP/S!  (Read 555130 times)

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SHOW ME YOUR AMP/S!
« Reply #2975 on: February 27, 2016, 05:58:45 AM »
Lots of misconceptions about amp wattage and volume are straightened out in this video.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2976 on: February 28, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »
I think that the guys do definitely touch on key insights that are correct BUT most of what they talk about is lacking:

1) They are reviewing loudness in the context of Pedal Guys --- that is we generally want our guitars to sound like our pedals which is NOT the way amps were developed.  Rather, pedals were developed to fit amps. 
2) When comparing the AC30 vs. the AC10; they should have used the power section of the AC10 to drive the two Celestion Blues in the AC30 cabinet.  Also, it takes a 6db increase to double perceived volume.  In addition, assuming speakers are the same, it takes ten times the wattage to double perceived volume.  So, to keep it simple, 1 watt, 10 watt, 100 watts are my key reference for this discourse.  In fact, the AC30 will be much louder than the AC10 because the AC30 is moving more air.  This guys are NOT hearing it because they are stuck inside a cubicle.  To be anal about it, the AC30 is driving two speakers at least 10 watts while the AC10 plugged into the AC30 cabinet would only be driving two speakers at less than 10 watts.  In fact the higher wattage on the AC30 gives you more headroom, mentioned by the guys but in passing.  The AC10 pushing two Celestion Blues would immediately distort and NOT give you the chimey clean that Vox AC30s are ALSO known for -- thats why Joe Walsh uses an AC30 set at around 8-9 o clock volume when he tours with the eagles and NOT an AC10.
3) Rarely do I see guitar gear manufacturers specify IEC wattage on their amps and cabinets.  IEC is the accepted audio started for measuring watts.  So,anybody can claim any number of watts but fall short of the IEC watt rating of the equivalent numeral.
4) The voicing of an amp has a lot do with perceived loudness.  My 100watt Soldano SLO is louder than my 120 watt Bogner Uberschall BECAUSE Soldano chose to voice the SLO with a more midrange to upper mid voicing whereas the Uberschall was designed to take on the scooped sound.
5) Again, I do agree with the guys that you need to own a lot of amps.  But not necessarily small wattage amps.  Small wattage amps -- much has been said about their advantages -- can sound less bassy and too midrangey.  In fact, low wattage amps which sound louder  than poorly designed higher wattage amps may still lack tightness in the bass end of the spectrum.
6) These pedal guys failed to test straight jack into the amps.  This would have revealed that the AC30 would have more dynamics than the AC10 specially with regards to strumming.  Since most of the time they passed their single coil guitars into highly compressed effects, they were not able to demonstrate the dynamism in single coils paired with high wattage amps.  The guys did mention SRV but they failed to mention that SRV had on most occasions used high wattage amps to get the dynamics in his sound.

Given all the factors that affect loudness -- we even have not discussed how the room affects the loudness  -- My only rule of thumb advice is match the number of 12 inch speakers to the size of your venue.  Small club -- one twelve inch will do.  Small Club and metal -- two twelve inches.  Small Club and metal with a loud drummer -- 4x12.  Small Club and metal with a deaf drummer or drummer who does not know how to bring down his volume -- Full Stack.     

What's the moral lesson here?  Simple: the drummer dictates how loud an amp you need.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:03:29 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2977 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
Here's a good read on amplifier wattage and decibels.

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/how-loud-is-your-amp
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2978 on: March 11, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »
NAD yesterday!!!   :-D

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #2979 on: March 11, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »
NAD yesterday!!!   :-D

Yan pala yung nasa tracking! Analog camera ang gagamitin mo sa demo ha. :-D

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2980 on: March 11, 2016, 07:25:57 PM »
Yan pala yung nasa tracking! Analog camera ang gagamitin mo sa demo ha. :-D

Hahahaha!  Meron na sa Instagram paps!  Hindi nga lang analog ang camera na ginamit.  Hahahaha!   :lol:

Offline Roller_Caster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2981 on: March 19, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »

Sir saan ka bumili ng tiny terror? how much?

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2982 on: March 19, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
clean tone setup...

imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2983 on: March 19, 2016, 10:38:58 PM »
Sir saan ka bumili ng tiny terror? how much?

Micro Terror bro.

6k per head and 4k per cab pag sale sa JB.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2984 on: March 19, 2016, 10:43:56 PM »
Micro Terror bro.

6k per head and 4k per cab pag sale sa JB.

Demo naman brad... hehehe :D
references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2985 on: March 22, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »
Demo naman brad... hehehe :D

Posted this on another thread:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:54:52 AM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2986 on: March 23, 2016, 03:41:38 AM »
Has anyone tried using their modelling amp as their effects by connecting it to a bigger amp then using the Aux out from the modelling amp via 3.5mm-to-instrument cable converter

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2987 on: March 23, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »
Has anyone tried using their modelling amp as their effects by connecting it to a bigger amp then using the Aux out from the modelling amp via 3.5mm-to-instrument cable converter

Are you talking about using a modeling amp as a multieffects unit going into another amp (which i assume is of the non-modeling variety)?

You may pull off getting a much louder sound than just using the modeling amp by itself but I doubt it will sound any better. I can see this working great by going into FOH but another amp.. probably not..

Anyways, I'm looking forward to people who will share their first hand experience.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2988 on: March 24, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »
Are you talking about using a modeling amp as a multieffects unit going into another amp (which i assume is of the non-modeling variety)?

You may pull off getting a much louder sound than just using the modeling amp by itself but I doubt it will sound any better. I can see this working great by going into FOH but another amp.. probably not..

Anyways, I'm looking forward to people who will share their first hand experience.

Yup, using your modelling amplifier as your effects. I really dig the distortion sound of my modelling amp, sounds great after using it via earphones, sounds great as well when connected to a stereo system. Got me curious how it would sound when to connected to let's say a 65 watt peavey amplifier.

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2989 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:35 PM »
Posed this on another thread:

Nice!  :wave: :wave: :wave:
references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline Isons

« Reply #2990 on: March 26, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »
Here they are:

The Silent Ones

And the Great Neighbor Annoyance!

Offline jmwreck

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2991 on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
Posed this on another thread:

sorry kung medyo OT but tanong ko lang, I am considering either on the lists:

1. Orange Micro Terror Stack
2. Vox VT20X / Vox VX II
3. Vox AC4TV
3. ID Core 20
4. ID Core Beam
5. Laney Cub 10

I am looking around 10-30W amp for bedroom use na ok din sa pedals.

Thank you.

Offline sargento

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2992 on: May 18, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »
I've tried the ID Core 20. It's affordable, portable, easy to use and pedal friendly.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2993 on: May 18, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »

2. Vox VT20X / Vox VX II
3. Vox AC4TV
3. ID Core 20
4. ID Core Beam
5. Laney Cub 10

Thank you.

I have had the chance to try the Orange Micro Terror (thru a different cab, not the matching stack), Laney Cub 10, and ID Core Beam. I've owned a Vox AC4TV combo as well and currently have an ID Core 10.

My thoughts on the following amps..

1. Orange Micro Terror
 - Small and portable.. Loud for it's size.. Affordable and sounds decent thru a 1x12 and 2x21 cab with nice speakers. Switch was kinda flimsy. A friend had me replace the switch after it crapped out on him. Takes pedals well.

2. Vox AC4TV
 - Being a Vox fan, this one I kinda liked. It looks classy! Very portable combo. Not much clean headroom being a 4-watt tube amp. Can easily get nice creamy overdriven tones. Sounds a bit boxy due to the small size. Takes pedals well except high gain.

3. ID Core 10
 - I currently have this in my shop for testing guitars. Sounds ok. More of a modelling amp that you can better tweak when plugged in the PC using the software. Most guitars sound the same thru this amp. Doesn't take pedals too well but it has some onboard effects and overdrive models so it's really not much of a problem. Small speakers are small... I made a new baffle and replaced the stock 2" or 3" speakers with two 5" and made a huge difference in the bigness of the sound (of course I had to make a new baffle). Strictly a practice amp for me.

4. ID Core BEAM
 - I'd rather take the Core 10 or Core 20 for the price...

5. Laney Cub 10
 - Raw sounding amp with a very Marshall-esque drive. Loud! Great for rock and roll and can do more than just a bedroom practice amp. If you're a bit techie with repairs (I know you are! :D :D), you can easily fix the known issues of this amp (thermofuse, pilot lamp, tubes) and turn it into a more reliable workhorse. This amp takes pedals well. WIth a nicer speaker, it will definitely go to a new level.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2994 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:42 PM »

2. Vox VT20X / Vox VX II
3. Vox AC4TV
3. ID Core 20
4. ID Core Beam
5. Laney Cub 10

Thank you.

I went for the Micro Terror because I wanted a scalable amp. Now I can go one head one cab one night and two heads and four cabs another night. I also wanted to go stereo and I thought two 1x12 combos would be a pain to transport. This MT setup packs really well. The four cabs push as much air as a 2x12 but are less directional and has a tighter bottom end. I get authentic AC/DC tones with the gain dimed and really clear and crisp cleans.

I wanted to be able to show up at a gig and just plug into a 4x12 and have my sound instantly. It has been pretty reliable and it has gone as far north as Pagudpud and survived the travel. You can fit two heads in one camera bag and even put all the foam protection inside which it came packed in.  Your switch will last a long time if you take care of it this way.

It's good to note though that one MT stack sounds waaay different than two stacks running together. Even with two 8" cabs it can still sound boxy. With four cabs and a total of 40 watts it no longer sounds like a small amp. Altough, one MT stack can fill a 30sqm room with decent bottom end better that the other amps in your list. It is a killer practice amp. Dont expect one stack to sound great unmiced in a small bar gig though. For that you'll need to be miced at FOH or have a micro wall of sound hehe.

Lastly, I have the Womanizer always on and I cascade the Hot British into it and the MT takes it like a champ. It works pretty well with pedals.

If these are things that you would like in your rig then the MT is your best bet.  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:49:42 PM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline jmwreck

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2995 on: May 19, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
I've tried the ID Core 20. It's affordable, portable, easy to use and pedal friendly.

Thanks for all the info, I will look for further reviews on the Micro Terror based on all your detailed insights about it. I am also considering the VT20X or VXII from Vox since both were not mentioned.

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2996 on: May 20, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
got this a month ago i think  :wave:

Offline antuni

« Reply #2997 on: May 21, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
PRS Archon

good deals: pixelwise • ponggak • sbalbaguio2006 • pinoysoul • ponscap • radiator28 • gelokaj • paulgeorge • B2G

www.instagram.com/photostakenbyanthony

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2998 on: May 22, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline jimny

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2999 on: May 24, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk