hulika

Author Topic: RIP : DON ALIAS  (Read 6426 times)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
RIP : DON ALIAS
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:58:31 AM »
Don Alias is one of the extraordinary percussionists i know who did a great job with Jaco Pastorius, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell and among other artists..

huli nako sa balita pero nakita ko lang sa jacopastorius.com that he passed away on march 2006..just wanna share with you..

sana ganitong klaseng musician o artist ang talagang sumisikat din sa pinas..hindi lang yung mga walang magawa o puro pa-cute lang alam..

music is art that we should respect and not to make a mess out of it.

pls Check out  DOn Alias's works with Jaco and the Word of Mouth Band.
John 3:16

Offline boyet

• Forum Fanatic
Re: RIP : DON ALIAS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »
Quote from: rodney vidanes
Don Alias is one of the extraordinary percussionists i know who did a great job with Jaco Pastorius, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell and among other artists..

huli nako sa balita pero nakita ko lang sa jacopastorius.com that he passed away on march 2006..just wanna share with you..

sana ganitong klaseng musician o artist ang talagang sumisikat din sa pinas..hindi lang yung mga walang magawa o puro pa-cute lang alam..

Thanks for the info dude...pareho tayo huli na din ako sa balita.

Sayang nga lang at iba ang appreciation dito sa 'pinas kasi ang dami talagang magagaling na pinoy "musicians" kaso puro posers lang talaga ang nabibigyan ng break dahil sa kababawan ng takbo ng utak ng tao dito sa atin lahat nadadaan lang sa porma.
If it is art it is not for all. If it is for all it is not art. -SchoenbergQuestion: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz?Answer: Start with two million

Offline boyet

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »

Sayang nga lang at iba ang appreciation dito sa 'pinas kasi ang dami talagang magagaling na pinoy "musicians" kaso puro posers lang talaga ang nabibigyan ng break dahil sa kababawan ng takbo ng utak ng tao dito sa atin lahat nadadaan lang sa porma.
If it is art it is not for all. If it is for all it is not art. -SchoenbergQuestion: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz?Answer: Start with two million

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:56:56 AM »
Quote from: boyet

pero man,i still believe na mabibigyan pa din ng break yung mga deserving..we have to believe and do something about it..act on it and spread the word.

the pinoy rock scene is ok naman ever since the days of Juan dela Cruz band..talagang mga tunay na artists and rockers.

pero sana sa jazz din talagang magkaron ng recognition ung mga d best...
tsaka support natin not just mainstream pop-jazz but lalo na ung mga contemporary, avant-garde, experimental music na serious talaga ung mga artists.

support the enthusiasts and the passionate ones in music. lets just support one another.

Peace to Mr Don Alias!

Offline cofibreyk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:21 PM »
Mr. vidanes, salamat sa impormasyon...

RIP Mr Don Alias... :cry:

...on a happy note, makakapg jam na uli sila ni Jaco  :)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 02:56:40 AM »
Quote from: cofibreyk
Mr. vidanes, salamat sa impormasyon...

RIP Mr Don Alias... :cry:

...on a happy note, makakapg jam na uli sila ni Jaco  :)

true enough bro..i think ija-jam nila Donna Lee  :)

actually Jaco's dad Jack is now reunited with him..he passed away on Nov.1 last year ata..

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »
RIP
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline jazzbo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »
One of the best albums to hear Jaco and Don Alias together is Joni Mitchell's live album "Shadows and Light" recorded sometime 1979 or 1980 - this is also available as a DVD in those usual places around town (hehe).  The band here consisted of Jaco on bass (and musical director), Don Alias on drums and percs, Pat Metheny on guitar, Lyle Mays on keyboards, and Michael Brecker on tenor sax. And the great Joni Mitchell of course on guitar and vocals....

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:50:12 AM »
cool! wala pa nga ako niyan jazzbo..i dont think meron niyan sa tower records ngayon..

that's another great album to treasure!

Offline gyrus

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »
cool! wala pa nga ako niyan jazzbo..i dont think meron niyan sa tower records ngayon..

ser,

perhaps he's pertaining to places such as the bangketa, greenhills... etc... i got mine from greenhills...
 :D

("Arrr! Walk the plank!")
Ako ay Pilipino!

Offline jazzbo

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 03:30:48 PM »

I went on a Joni binge recently and tried looking for her back catalog in Tower Shangrila. Unfortunately they only had one album, a re-issue from Rhino records called "Songs from a Prairie Girl". It has one Jaco/Don Alias Track, "Paprika Plains". Eventually I had to resort to downloading the albums from the Net to complete my collection and put in my iPod. Just goes to show that sometimes the record stores here actually encourage piracy, arrrgh.

The Joni Mitchell albums with Jaco Pastorius, as far as I can recall are:

1. Hejira
2. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
3. Mingus
4. Shadows and Light

I think Don Alias played on all 4 (percussions mostly, but drums on #4).

Offline jazzbo

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »
Quote from: gyrus

perhaps he's pertaining to places such as the bangketa, greenhills... etc... i got mine from greenhills...
 :D

("Arrr! Walk the plank!")

Yeah... i was referring to "Tower Quiapo"... the real Towers and Odysseys have a much more limited selection of DVDs. Actually I haven't seen it on DVD yet (still looking!!) but I have the album. Jaco's fretless bass work on the Joni/Mingus collaboration "The Dry Cleaner of Des Moines" is amazing.

Offline gyrus

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
Ha ha! Very well said... Tower Quiapo!!! I like the sound of that. :)

Yun na yun...
Ako ay Pilipino!

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 04:23:28 AM »
Quote from: jazzbo

I went on a Joni binge recently and tried looking for her back catalog in Tower Shangrila. Unfortunately they only had one album, a re-issue from Rhino records called "Songs from a Prairie Girl". It has one Jaco/Don Alias Track, "Paprika Plains". Eventually I had to resort to downloading the albums from the Net to complete my collection and put in my iPod. Just goes to show that sometimes the record stores here actually encourage piracy, arrrgh.

The Joni Mitchell albums with Jaco Pastorius, as far as I can recall are:

1. Hejira
2. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
3. Mingus
4. Shadows and Light

I think Don Alias played on all 4 (percussions mostly, but drums on #4).

tama..meron ako ng Hejira..i failed to buy the Mingus and Shadows&Light albums..

Offline roger_alcantara

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 03:06:50 PM »
hehehehe meron din nyan sa tower recto  ehehehe... medyo nakakainis na rin magtingin tingin sa tower records and m1, di na ganun kaganda mga naka-stock nilang jazz cds.  dati pag pumapasok ako dun nalulula ako. ngayon, nahihilo na ako... SA KAKAHANAP! ehehehe

Yun na yun...

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 05:33:30 PM »
Quote from: roger_alcantara
hehehehe meron din nyan sa tower recto  ehehehe... medyo nakakainis na rin magtingin tingin sa tower records and m1, di na ganun kaganda mga naka-stock nilang jazz cds.  dati pag pumapasok ako dun nalulula ako. ngayon, nahihilo na ako... SA KAKAHANAP! ehehehe

Yun na yun...

very well said brother!