hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 104670 times)

Offline jgmredor

Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #650 on: November 04, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
What if you have a tube amp but your band sucks, your musical preference sucks and you have terrible acne?

Mean... but funny!  :-D

For me, tube amps really do sound better. Most (not all) solid states lack character especially when played clean or lightly overdriven.

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #651 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
If you'll only buying a Tube Amp just to use it in your Bedroom...magsasayang ka lang ng pera.... Mag software emulation ka na lang using your computer

''But..but Ampsims sound so synthetic and fake''...  I call BullSh!t on that...even a FREE LePou Amp will beat a Goldea Amp at any given day...Malayo na ang narating ng Ampsims ngayon
do u own a tube amp? Or ur just deaf
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #652 on: November 13, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
Amp sims are dog balls.  It sucks also when it gets outdated by another version or another product which has 'better' technology.  Then you get compatibility issues or when stuff is not working.  It kinda feels like working on a computer, and it is.  I hate that and that's why I call my IT guy when the PC's not working.

The issues with tube amps are much easier to manage.  I can trace a schematic easily and know how to solder.  Most of the time a bad tube just needs replacing.  Also, the classic tones are hard to beat, it might sound dated on some amps, but it will always be sought after.

I consider amp sims easy band aid solutions to when I can't bring an amp or record an amp, but my preference will still be amps. 
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #653 on: November 13, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
Siore,

how about the Yamaha THR Series. are they okay?

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #654 on: November 13, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
IMO, the beauty of a tube amp is most felt when playing one. Sometimes it is very hard to tell when a tube, solidstate or DAWs were used to record a guitar track. But once a guitar player plugs into a tube amp, the sag (especially with rectifier tube-equipped amps), feel and dynamics of playing through it are totally inspiring.

For the sake of discussion, how do we treat amps like the Fender Super Champ XD? It has pre-amp tubes, output tubes with a digital modeler in it?!?  :-o "Hybrid" is already taken.  :-D

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #655 on: November 13, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »
Siore,

how about the Yamaha THR Series. are they okay?

Not for me. Kinda meh
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #656 on: November 14, 2015, 05:30:12 AM »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #657 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #658 on: November 25, 2015, 11:51:16 AM »
If you'll only buying a Tube Amp just to use it in your Bedroom...magsasayang ka lang ng pera.... Mag software emulation ka na lang using your computer

''But..but Ampsims sound so synthetic and fake''...  I call BullSh!t on that...even a FREE LePou Amp will beat a Goldea Amp at any given day...Malayo na ang narating ng Ampsims ngayon
i own a bassman head. I've tried lots of tube amps as well. i hope though that you get to try a Matchless Lightning - it's only a 15watt amp. it will break your heart. i actually forgot all the tube amps i've tired. here's the kicker - it's a solid state amp! :)
(im kidding. of course it's a tube amp.)
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #659 on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
what particular amp is that sir? i'm curious.

Ibanez tbx. There goes your markv na solidstate.

I have a markv. Compared it. Sobrang onti ng difference.

Compare 8k to 120k.

Now go find one. :)

Fyi, the ibanez is 150 watts. It can kick as hard as a tube amp.

Its for tight metal. Like the markv. You want boomier lows? Get a recto, thats another story.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #660 on: December 17, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
@Magus

Interesting. Can you do a sound clip/video comparison?

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #661 on: December 17, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »

Here's Kenny Ken:

I guess kung ganyan ang taste mo sa tone, playing and mukhaan then you definitely don't need a tube amp.   :-o

But seriously, I do agree that ampsims and modelers have come a long way. I have a Deluxe Reverb reissue here and Amplitube 3 in my system. The Deluxe reverb model in Amplitube 3 can seriously hang with the real thing, in terms of sound. I make a living doing film scoring and Amplitube is pretty much all I use when recording electric guitar parts.
Pero kung tone AND feel ang paguusapan, tube amp pa rin, especially in a live setting where you can turn up the amp to its sweet spot. :)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:37:00 PM by paul_sigua »

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #662 on: December 18, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »
@Magus

Interesting. Can you do a sound clip/video comparison?

Yep sure. Ill just post the link here.

I was amazed.

Ofcourse a markv is a markv.

But if youre on a budget.

Get that amp. Its heavy as hell and versatile too, if you kniw how to use it.

Watch the youtube vid. Search it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:57:30 PM by Magus »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #663 on: December 18, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
Ibanez tbx. There goes your markv na solidstate.

I have a markv. Compared it. Sobrang onti ng difference.

Compare 8k to 120k.

Now go find one. :)

Fyi, the ibanez is 150 watts. It can kick as hard as a tube amp.

Its for tight metal. Like the markv. You want boomier lows? Get a recto, thats another story.
This is certainly interesting. Would you be able to use the same cab for the TBX and Mark V when you record the clips? That way we'd be able to hear the character of each amp given the same guitar and speaker/cab combination.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #664 on: December 18, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:42:17 PM by titser_marco »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #665 on: December 19, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »
IMO, the beauty of a tube amp is most felt when playing one. Sometimes it is very hard to tell when a tube, solidstate or DAWs were used to record a guitar track. But once a guitar player plugs into a tube amp, the sag (especially with rectifier tube-equipped amps), feel and dynamics of playing through it are totally inspiring.

For the sake of discussion, how do we treat amps like the Fender Super Champ XD? It has pre-amp tubes, output tubes with a digital modeler in it?!?  :-o "Hybrid" is already taken.  :-D

Fender Super Champ XD is an amp modeller I believe :-)

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #666 on: December 19, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
Fender Super Champ XD is an amp modeller I believe :-)

yeah. much like vox's vt series.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline gleniqz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #667 on: January 25, 2016, 03:36:10 AM »
Where can i buy a tube (EL84) for my Peavey Classic 50? Anybody who knows where can i purchase? sinuyod ko ang Raon wala akong makita. wala na daw avaialble. Napunta ako sa Watson's may pumakyaw daw. Hoping for somebody to help me. Kung maari sana, local shop lang. TIA

Offline sargento

• Veteran Member
« Reply #668 on: January 25, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »
Where can i buy a tube (EL84) for my Peavey Classic 50? Anybody who knows where can i purchase? sinuyod ko ang Raon wala akong makita. wala na daw avaialble. Napunta ako sa Watson's may pumakyaw daw. Hoping for somebody to help me. Kung maari sana, local shop lang. TIA

http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=246374.0

tanong mo kay Spanky, baka meron pa sya.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #669 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »

If spankyrigor doesn't have them, you could also try www.epektos.com

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #670 on: January 26, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ngayon ko lang nabasa to =))))))
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #671 on: January 26, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »

@ralph

paminsan minsan may mga BS parin talagang claims  :lol:

si CJV kaya yan?
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline prtscrsysrq

• Netizen Level

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #673 on: September 06, 2016, 03:58:43 PM »
https://www.trueaudio.com/at_eetjlm.htm

Nice share. I do wonder what happened since this article was posted in 1994. Seems like there were no major leaps in SS amp development that could have rendered Tube amps obsolete to date.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #674 on: December 02, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
tube amps are what they are. they sound fantastic compred to solid states, but you have to take care of them.

even recorded axefx tones sound artificial and lifeless. dont ask me to rpove it.. google them.

practice = solid state = less money for upkeep

performance = tubes amps = best sound.