hulika

Author Topic: Where do you buy tolex for your amps/cabs? And where do you have them installed?  (Read 619 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hello! Looking to re-tolex some amps and cabs and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for:

1. Where to buy tolex
2. Who does retolex jobs

Thanks!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline GGBR

The brand "Tolex" no longer exists to identify the vinyl covering that was then employed by amps manufacturers as well as for auto tops up to I believe the 80s. Though today you can still get them from a few US suppliers that may have sourced them from OEMs, possibly China.

The costs for a yard runs from about $13 to $20/30 per yard plus shipping to wherever. It's been 3 years since I last ordered, I don't recall the exact prices. The prices depend on the texture that you need i.e. bronco, elephant, rough, smooth, tweed, Fender style, Vox style, British style.

I have used them to re-'tolex' my Fender Rhodes which entails quite more dererity vis-a-vis a nore straight forward amp box.

I've checked Shell Canvass then, but their vinyl covering materials (locally known as 'leatherette') is geared for the softer sofa/seating use and will not stand against the handling abuse on amps.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
Bought some tolex from Mojotone.  MYN11, Jefisipbata and I retolexed our amps ourselves.   :wink:

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
I see. Slightly off topic: how long does it take for Mojotone to ship over stuff to PHL? Thinking of getting a cab from them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Try mo johnny air cargo padala to ship from the states via air. My speaker arrived in less than two weeks. Actual days depend kung anong araw nareceive ng new york office nila.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:43:51 PM by royc »