hulika

Author Topic: TOKAI Guitars (Suggestions and Opinions)  (Read 4584 times)

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
TOKAI Guitars (Suggestions and Opinions)
« on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »
Hope someone can share their knowledge/inputs.  I own a couple of Tokai guitars, a Strat (Goldstar Sound) and a Tele (Breezy Sound.  Both are made in China as I got these from previous trades.  I think these are the models that you can buy at Lyric. 

Both are nice guitars, and although I recognize that the Made in Japan Tokais are more superior, I intend to keep these Chinese made ones.  I know I can not make them "sound the same" as the Fenders I already have,  I intend to upgrade these Tokai's to make it sound much pleasing than their stock form. 

1. For these type of guitars, what do you suggest should I do or upgrade first? pickups? pots? bridge? nut? I am into blues and classic rock btw. 
2. Is it worth upgrading? I plan to keep them for awhile and use as a backup and a guitar that I can lend to my son since he is starting to learn to use the electric
3. Can you recommend a good repair shop or luthier who can make these axe(s) sound good?

I am not an expert in guitar electronics, so I am asking for suggestions.  Everyone is open to share their opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: TOKAI Guitars (Suggestions and Opinions)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »
Hope someone can share their knowledge/inputs.  I own a couple of Tokai guitars, a Strat (Goldstar Sound) and a Tele (Breezy Sound.  Both are made in China as I got these from previous trades.  I think these are the models that you can buy at Lyric. 

Both are nice guitars, and although I recognize that the Made in Japan Tokais are more superior, I intend to keep these Chinese made ones.  I know I can not make them "sound the same" as the Fenders I already have,  I intend to upgrade these Tokai's to make it sound much pleasing than their stock form. 

1. For these type of guitars, what do you suggest should I do or upgrade first? pickups? pots? bridge? nut? I am into blues and classic rock btw. 
2. Is it worth upgrading? I plan to keep them for awhile and use as a backup and a guitar that I can lend to my son since he is starting to learn to use the electric
3. Can you recommend a good repair shop or luthier who can make these axe(s) sound good?

I am not an expert in guitar electronics, so I am asking for suggestions.  Everyone is open to share their opinion.

Thanks in advance!

personal opinion to, I think MIC guitars shouldn't be fully upgraded, as there is a point where upgrading a certain component will have a negligible effect on the sound.

I'd probably do upgrades in this order: fretwork/setup/intonation, pickups, bridge. I'd personally stop there. I won't bother with the nut unless it keeps breaking on that side or if it has tuning issues; if I'd replace it, plastic nut lang. you'll be fretting most of the time anyway. the bridge is an okay upgrade though to keep the tuning stable, plus less string breakage. For the pots naman, I'm just not that familiar if replacing them with a better quality but same value pot would make a notable difference. I'd just play with the tone knob.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
I would recommend a proper set-up and if everything else is working, to completely shield the innards if it isn't yet. The shielding will go along way to cut down on the 60 cycle hum even when you plan to upgrade all other electronics and hardware. If you decide to upgrade further, I would suggest to change the pickups but only if you are not happy with the current ones. Changing pickups will always change the amplified sound output of a guitar. Word of warning though, changing pickups could always go 2 ways - either it improves the sound of the guitar or it could also make it worse.
Happy experimenting!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
TOKAI Guitars (Suggestions and Opinions)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Get a good guitar set up and invest on a good amp before upgrading your guitars :-)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:37:06 PM by royc »

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:21 PM »
I'm not as good as the guys here, but what I'll do is that I'll have the guitars setup. change pickups. then as royc mentioned, go for the amps.

For pots, it does make a difference if your using them. lol. some guitarist don't and it's not a bad thing. but if you're using them. I suggest for volume pot, go for audio, as the taper is more useful compared to linear. my 2cents,  I think.
If there are encounters, there are partings as well

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »
wow.. these are very valuable suggestions.. =) i really appreciate it mga sir(s)...

the pickups are actually last on my list... better save up on a decent tube amp and find a good luthier... =)

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
if you plan on keeping them, upgrade and modify until you like it. that's just me. I don't like the idea of keeping a couple of guitars na di ko naman gagamitin because I prefer using another guitar.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
Just a quick note: upgrading its parts will not increase the market value of a guitar. Upgrade with the assumption that you will sell it in a few months or years. Keep the stock parts so you can sell the upgrade parts later if you need to.

Changing pickups is trial and error. You may not like the new pickup. Best to buy a used one that you can sell at cost later.

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
i am taking note of all the suggestions mentioned here.. to be honest. i am keeping them because I just wanted to have the flexibility of experimenting on different "tones" a guitar can give.. im starting to believe that no similar guitar type will sound the same...

Aside from the regular practice and playing, I am still in the process of learning the technical part of owning a guitar (parts, adjustments, tones, sounds, etc).  Although I have yet to own a Gibson and a PRS, I am so far enjoying my Epis, Fender, Squier and Tokai's.  I think i'll revolve around those brands for the meantime since yun lang ang kakayanin ng budget... =)

That's why going to a reputable luthier will be a good start for me... coz by then, I will earn additional knowledge...

My quest for that "tone" that will satisfy the inner workings of my senses will be continuous. =)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
i am taking note of all the suggestions mentioned here.. to be honest. i am keeping them because I just wanted to have the flexibility of experimenting on different "tones" a guitar can give.. im starting to believe that no similar guitar type will sound the same...

Aside from the regular practice and playing, I am still in the process of learning the technical part of owning a guitar (parts, adjustments, tones, sounds, etc).  Although I have yet to own a Gibson and a PRS, I am so far enjoying my Epis, Fender, Squier and Tokai's.  I think i'll revolve around those brands for the meantime since yun lang ang kakayanin ng budget... =)

That's why going to a reputable luthier will be a good start for me... coz by then, I will earn additional knowledge...

My quest for that "tone" that will satisfy the inner workings of my senses will be continuous. =)

you're right when you say no two guitars of the same type will sound the same, though the sound profile of course is similar.

The biggest tone shapers (aside from anything else a luthier will have to make like the wood, headstock/nut break angle, neck joint, etc.) are pickups and pots. after that, the nut, bridge/saddles, and the shielding, which all need more discerning ears to distinguish the change in tone. the fretwork and setup won't really change the tone, but it will make sure the guitar plays well, sounds in tune, and resonates well.

but then after all that's done, nasa workmanship and quality na ng guitar itself, the superior sound of a better built guitar is the result of the sum of its parts. there's a reason why most people never really mess with their american fenders and gibsons and keep them stock.

be careful though, baka mapagastos ka nang malala sa tone hunting at study ng technical aspects ng guitar  :lol:

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
setup won't really change the tone,

Yes it does, a bowed neck has a better quality of tone than that of a straight neck. because you allow the wood to work on the vibration(tension) rather than the steel(truss rod) counteracting/absorbing the tension. if you wanted a stronger, straighter neck you'd prefer to have a qsawn maple.
"creeping deeaath"

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Yes it does, a bowed neck has a better quality of tone than that of a straight neck. because you allow the wood to work on the vibration(tension) rather than the steel(truss rod) counteracting/absorbing the tension. if you wanted a stronger, straighter neck you'd prefer to have a qsawn maple.

by tone I meant yung tone as in "tone hunting." but definitely, a well-set up guitar will sound much better for the reasons you mentioned  :)
OT: I never really liked straight necks, I don't really play metal though. Mas meaty yung tunog ng neck na may saktong bow, plus thicker gauge strings.  :mrgreen:

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
by tone I meant yung tone as in "tone hunting." but definitely, a well-set up guitar will sound much better for the reasons you mentioned  :)
OT: I never really liked straight necks, I don't really play metal though. Mas meaty yung tunog ng neck na may saktong bow, plus thicker gauge strings.  :mrgreen:

I just noticed it on my strat, the neck bent over time, when i adjusted it to the recommended angle/bow it sounded less fuller. What ive stated earlier is the only explanation ive come up to. Haha  :mrgreen:
"creeping deeaath"

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »
I just noticed it on my strat, the neck bent over time, when i adjusted it to the recommended angle/bow it sounded less fuller. What ive stated earlier is the only explanation ive come up to. Haha  :mrgreen:
pero totoo I also find slightly bowed necks (na reasonable naman) to sound meatier. basta tama pa rin intonation  :lol: must be because of break angle or something.