hulika

Author Topic: Resonance Dead Spot  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
Resonance Dead Spot
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
Gusto ko lang sana makakuha ng opinions sa inyo.

I'm experiencing a deadspot, the resonance type, on my 17th fret 3rd string (G string). The note will play but will decay drastically, not the same with other notes na slowly mag decay. Mejo same behavior with 2nd string 13th fret (same note)

Dinala ko na sa Guitar 1 Custom and sa Guitar Hospital for setup so fret level and setup ay ruled out na.

Galing ako sa shred style so di ko pansin dati, ngayon ala-sustain solo inaaral ko.

Experience nyo din ba sa gitara nyo to? Na-fix nyo ba?
makunteto ka sa abot kaya mo, 20% sa gamit, 80% sa gumagamit
strange looking guitar collection  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,80255.0.html

Offline modmod

• Veteran Member
Re: Resonance Dead Spot
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Picture bro ng guitar.

Offline caloyburger

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:09 AM »
Have the same thing on my SG, 3rd string, 11th fret. Seems to be common on SGs due to the long unsupported neck which allows for freer vibrations. Doesn't really bother me so I'm not after any remedy but I believe adding more mass (fat finger on headstock) will shift the frequency changing the position of the deadspot. It will still be there but hopefully in a position that you hardly use/ won't bother you.

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »
Picture bro ng guitar.

what angle or shot or which part of the guitar you want me to zoom in? just asking what guitar issues are you looking for that can affect dead spot.

Have the same thing on my SG, 3rd string, 11th fret. Seems to be common on SGs due to the long unsupported neck which allows for freer vibrations. Doesn't really bother me so I'm not after any remedy but I believe adding more mass (fat finger on headstock) will shift the frequency changing the position of the deadspot. It will still be there but hopefully in a position that you hardly use/ won't bother you.

so I guess your "remedy" is to live with it? before i can live with it since i play most is shred style, but now i'm trying to be melodic and be as flexible with other style, it bothers me kasi yung note is very common which is "do" or "C" when doing common scales from common key signatures i like (G major, E minor, C Major, A minor).
strange looking guitar collection  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,80255.0.html

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:45 AM »
Same prob with a guitar of mine. Tuning up or down will only move the "dead spot" higher or lower also. This would mean that the particular frequency of the note is conflicting with the overall resonant frequency of the guitar. As suggested above, acquiring Fat Fingers (http://www.fender.com/en-PH/accessories/fatfinger/fatfinger-guitar-nickel/) will change that frequency and move it to another location on the fretboard due to the additional mass. Where it moves it varies from one guitar to the next again because of the unique frequencies each and every guitar has or reacts to.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
'round here thats whats called "hiyaw"

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
Gusto ko lang sana makakuha ng opinions sa inyo.

I'm experiencing a deadspot, the resonance type, on my 17th fret 3rd string (G string). The note will play but will decay drastically, not the same with other notes na slowly mag decay. Mejo same behavior with 2nd string 13th fret (same note)

Dinala ko na sa Guitar 1 Custom and sa Guitar Hospital for setup so fret level and setup ay ruled out na.

Galing ako sa shred style so di ko pansin dati, ngayon ala-sustain solo inaaral ko.

Experience nyo din ba sa gitara nyo to? Na-fix nyo ba?

your fret/s is probably not seated properly. you need to glue it, then level it. leveling without glueing the frets is a waste of time and money.
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
your fret/s is probably not seated properly. you need to glue it, then level it. leveling without glueing the frets is a waste of time and money.

+1, you will need to remove the fret, clean the slot, install a new fret with glue or wick in superglue.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
Same prob with a guitar of mine. Tuning up or down will only move the "dead spot" higher or lower also. This would mean that the particular frequency of the note is conflicting with the overall resonant frequency of the guitar. As suggested above, acquiring Fat Fingers (http://www.fender.com/en-PH/accessories/fatfinger/fatfinger-guitar-nickel/) will change that frequency and move it to another location on the fretboard due to the additional mass. Where it moves it varies from one guitar to the next again because of the unique frequencies each and every guitar has or reacts to.

I've researched about fat fingers, and as you have said, it will only move the dead spot into another note. One day I might be using that note more frequently so baka di na naman ako makatulog dun sa dead spot na nilipatan, hehehe! I'll look into the fat fingers tho, Thanks sa suggestion.

'round here thats whats called "hiyaw"

I've read that "hiyaw" here, and I believe I know what it sounds (slight wah? increasing volume when bending?), and I believe "hiyaw" should be a positive guitar character. Pero ito hindi ata "hiyaw", "HIYA" ata tong problem ko.  :)

+1, you will need to remove the fret, clean the slot, install a new fret with glue or wick in superglue.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll bring it back to my luthier for reseating that specific fret, pero sa sweldo na siguro, newly leveled pa lang kasi.

Pero contakin ko baka may warranty si luthier, I'll update once accomplished.

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
By the way, baka may iba pa kayo masuggest na remedy that requires a luthier para masabay ko na if ever. Thanks for your  replies.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »
A temporary solution, while you have not yet dropped the guitar off at your guitar tech's, is to play with the headstock touching or in contact with one of the walls in your room. From experience, solid concrete would be better but door jambs would do as well. Hollow wooden walls have very little effect.

I had Arie check on my guitar with the same problem years ago when I had newly purchased it but he was unable to fix the problem despite his well-known abilities and capabilities. No fret reseating or reglueing was done, attempted or even considered then but I truly hope that it would resolve the issue. Please tell me if it does so that I could have mine done as well.  :)

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:47:18 AM »
@curiousdcat

Have you tried changing string brand? Or gauge? Well Arie suggested to do it and test again the dead spot before doing any intrusive job.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
@curiousdcat

Have you tried changing string brand? Or gauge? Well Arie suggested to do it and test again the dead spot before doing any intrusive job.

Yes to both. I've even changed nut type, upgraded my saddles and tone block to brass and used different tunings but the issue remains. Try changing string brand and gauge still though because that might work on your end. If it does not, I think Arie now might have a solution because, as you implied, he is looking at an intrusive job as a last resort. I do not think he would even consider it if it would not have any effect.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
it might be there's too much space in the fretslots and that i know is common on some imports that do not glue their frets, gluing fills up the void/space so whatever reverberates on the frets will go down to the neck.

try experimenting with your pickups lowered and if the problem still persist then its the neck, i would suggest to take the guitar to rchino and have it looked at.

i've done this to cheap and 1400$ guitars, it works. ebmm, prs, j-custom,warrior instruments, suhr and anderson do it for a reason.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
Before you accuse your guitar of dead spots, ensure that your frets are dressed properly.

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
Before you accuse your guitar of dead spots, ensure that your frets are dressed properly.

My guitar's frets are dressed properly, perfectly leveled and crowned and action setup not too low recently by Arie Hipolito last week. Definitely no fret buzz on the deadspot location.

So my guitar is guilty of a dead spot!  :mrgreen:

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
try this

looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
^^^

I'll let the professionals do that for me.  :) Pass muna ako sa mahirap ireverse na DIY.  :-D

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »
I tried changing brand of strings, no luck.

I tried clamping a small vise to the headstock, immitating a fat finger, it reduced the dead spot but still lacks sustain like other notes.

Will leave it to luthier for partial refretting of deadspot.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 04:09:29 AM »
I tried changing brand of strings, no luck.

I tried clamping a small vise to the headstock, immitating a fat finger, it reduced the dead spot but still lacks sustain like other notes.

Will leave it to luthier for partial refretting of deadspot.

hey man, i think if you go for a refret, its better to do it right the first time, whatever frets you have, buy some jescar (not dunlop), have the slot refilled and re-cut and then glue the frets after its been set-in

i mentioned it to bring it to chino and he'll make it happen

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
sa acoustic guitar ko napansin yung ganyang problem. Halos lahat ng A notes kulang sa sustain. Nararamdaman ko rin sa kahoy na parang may kumokontra sa pagvibrate ng sound pag A ang note.

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
hey man, i think if you go for a refret, its better to do it right the first time, whatever frets you have, buy some jescar (not dunlop), have the slot refilled and re-cut and then glue the frets after its been set-in

i mentioned it to bring it to chino and he'll make it happen

noted, thanks for the suggestion

sa acoustic guitar ko napansin yung ganyang problem. Halos lahat ng A notes kulang sa sustain. Nararamdaman ko rin sa kahoy na parang may kumokontra sa pagvibrate ng sound pag A ang note.

Well, sa acoustic i think i can live with it, pero kasi pag sa electric and naka drive mode ka, and you need to sustain that note, its kinda frustrating that it dies fast. I even cranked my amp's drive to full and my pedal to full gain and volume, still dies fast.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 01:29:31 AM »
Nangyayari pa rin ba pag tinaasan mo action ng guitar mo?

Offline jw44

• Netizen Level
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:14 AM »
You might try this.
If you are in standard tuning, tune your guitar half step lower.  Check again where you find dead spots.   

Offline agent_otso

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
string intonation on bridge sir?done?
PLAY YOUR MUSIC NOT YOUR INSTRUMENT