hulika

Author Topic: Perfect Intonation  (Read 25493 times)

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 05:30:14 PM »
ako din ganun lang ang alam kong style sa 12th fret harmonic as well as checking out the octaves especially after the 12 fret. and i've been doing intonation adjustments for a while also. As soon as i get my guitar from jun i'll let you know how it sounds.

Offline nivleklive

Perfect Intonation
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 05:38:16 PM »
fret spacing, neck, action, etc) <--- I guess these are the stuff na medyo experienced ka na dapat (and this in turn is what you really pay for) :)

I'll also let you know what happens with mu guitar!
- live a life of little regret -

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 05:39:19 PM »
that's pretty much everyone's first reaction. and i don't want to pretend that i know exactly what he does and why he does it. it's a given that some people won't take kindly to that.

i've had old guitar maintenance habits and beliefs obliterated by him time and again. the last one was using pencil lead as guitar nut lubricant. but that's another story.

All the internets site I've researched in have defined a perfectly intonated guitar as having the same note in the open, 12th fret pressed and the harmonics at the 12th fret.

Of course it is. But for Jun, it's a result of proper intonation, not the actual basis.

i find it strange. internet articles make it sound so easy, you'd think anybody with a screwdriver, allen key and a tuner can do it. yet luthiers in the US make significant amounts of money from intonation services alone. yan kuwento nung isang customer ni Jun from Hawaii who decided to take his guitar back and have it serviced here in the Philippines instead of paying a good amount of money over there.

I would like to think that keeping a guitar in perfect intonation should be something any serious guitarist should be able to do.

With the proper tools and know-how, they can. oasgomez keeps calling it Jun's magic ruler. but there's nothing magical about it, in all seriousness. just a solid know-how in fundamentals.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
kung di mo nagustuhan ang ginawa ni jun, right there and then sabihin mo agad. be upfront. he'll gladly fix it right in front of you.
Surf's Up!

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 05:42:59 PM »
yep! it's all about good service! sorry machine head napahaba topic mo. :D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 05:43:25 PM »
... or give you your money back and revert the guitar to its previous setup (if possible).

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 06:04:55 PM »
So let's all post our "post -jun castro" babies when we get them shall we? 8)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 11:37:53 PM »
Dude,

Your RJ PRS guitar with me is a gem and the 505 is my main FX (even as I already have the ME-30 hehehe).

Anyway, just to help you out a little, here's my method for fixing intonation. Use a chromatic tuner.

Let's do it for one string, the high E string, then duplicate the process for the others.

Tune the high E string with your tuner. Then fret at the 12th and see what your tuner indicates. If it's flat, loosen and adjust the bridge (in very small increments) towards the nut. Do this gently until the tuner indicates a perfect intonation. If it's sharp, do the reverse and move the bridge gently away from the nut.

Works for me. No guesswork.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline nivleklive

Perfect Intonation
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 12:23:24 AM »
Of course it is. But for Jun, it's a result of proper intonation, not the actual basis.

very good point :)

excited na nga ako to get my guitar :) want to see how much different a "magic ruler" intonated guitar is from an "ear" intonated guitar.

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 01:45:25 AM »
Quote from: nivleklive

My questions is this: if a guitar is spot on in-tune in open, 12th fret pressed and the 12th fret harmonic, isn't the guitar supposedly intonated? I mean you can do all the measurements you want but IMHO "sounds good" is still better than "measured right". All the internets site I've researched in have defined a perfectly intonated guitar as having the same note in the open, 12th fret pressed and the harmonics at the 12th fret.

basing on physics, i presume that its more accurate to have intonation based on measurements rather that ear. medyo touchy kasi kung tenga ang pag-uusapan. lets say, i intonate my guitar then someone tries to check the intonation and according to his own ear, its not intonated.

if we based it on measurements, we're following a set of intonation rules here which is based on the scale of the guitar. i would also presume that this is agreed upon by many guitar experts. kung baga, we're following a set of standard common to all.

for me, jun's approach of intonation is not just tuning your 12th fret with 12th harmonic. aside from it, he considers the guitar's scale, the bridge and nut placement/location, and how the frets are placed correctly on the fretboard - that is, he looks over the entire guitar for proper intonation. that is, the 1st fret should be "this" inches from the nut, etc...

he even quoted me on my washburn xb120 that minority of the frets it has poor intonation some frets because the some of the fret wires were put at a wrong place, making a little deviation from the scale. to push it further, he proved it to me by demonstrating and i did really hear with my own ears what he's saying.

from that point of view, if a person is trying to prove something on words, then, he must show it by action. maybe this is the reason why i believe jun's work, he's honest enough to tell you what needs to be corrected and when you get your guitar back, you'll see the difference on what it was before. although he's not perfect, but hey he's willing to correct what he has repaired that you're not satisfied just like what sir al said
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 09:47:05 AM »
Thanks guys for the info. I'll give Jun a try and see how my guitar goes.

Quote from: guitaraddict
So let's all post our "post -jun castro" babies when we get them shall we? Cool

Yea please do.

Thanks again!

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 10:47:24 AM »
So let's all post our "post -jun castro" babies when we get them shall we? 8)

they're all HERE
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
Quote from: Machine_Head
Thanks guys for the info. I'll give Jun a try and see how my guitar goes.

So let's all post our "post -jun castro" babies when we get them shall we? Cool

Yea please do.

Thanks again!

im a believer in his work :D
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »
jun approaches repairs like he's building the guitar from scratch, that's the way he described it.
Surf's Up!

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »
Al,

Regarding my guitar, it WAS Jun who said may problema/sira ang gitara ko.  Hindi ako nagCONCLUDE.  Also, he decided to plug it in after diagnosing and JUN SAID " Maganda ang tunog."  You figure it out.

By the way, have you gone to Arie to have your guitar intonated by Arie?  Sabi mo, ibang approach.  So have you tried Arie's approach?

CHUG

Perfect Intonation
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 05:33:12 PM »
I have had my guitars intonated by both Arie and Jun C. Not much diffrence. I can go either way.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Al,

Regarding my guitar, it WAS Jun who said may problema/sira ang gitara ko.  Hindi ako nagCONCLUDE.  Also, he decided to plug it in after diagnosing and JUN SAID " Maganda ang tunog."  You figure it out.

You took it in the wrong context. Again.

Let me be more direct: ang sabi ko nag conclude ka na nag-iimbento ng sira si Jun. Alam ko din na sinabi mo yan sa livebands. Mali ba?

By the way, have you gone to Arie to have your guitar intonated by Arie?  Sabi mo, ibang approach.  So have you tried Arie's approach?

Yeah, sabi ko magkaiba ang approach. I deduced that from your own accounts. Mali ba?

And no, I haven't tried going to Arie. I'm pretty happy with where I am now. But at least you won't see me in these forums telling people who's better, let alone bash Arie's workmanship for any reason. I let people decide that for themselves.

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 05:45:23 PM »
goma basahin mo tong pinost mo...ilang taon ka na ba?
ako 7..hehe

Jun is the last person on earth I would bring my guitar for intonation.  I brought him a perfectly intonated guitar and he recommended intonation.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 05:52:22 PM »

Pare koy :lol:  you're being defensive. why would you think we're comparing the two?

And i think i was the one who said jun has a different approach. but i didn't mean different from arie's.   :lol:  In fact i almost brought my guitar to arie if he wasn't closed on sundays. i think it's childish to compare the two anyway. Ano? porque dun ka nagpapaayus eh mas magaling na? That's a very limited way of thinking. pareho naman silang na maayos gumawa and they both desevre their respective reputations.  Pareho silang magaling!  :D di tulad ng iba na nagmamagaling. :shock:

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2006, 05:52:30 PM »
hehehe. at the very least he should be the second to the last. i've never properly intonated a guitar in my life. hahahaha!

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »
hoy kayo magsitigil na kayo...pareho naman siguro magaling yan...nwoh?
 :D
tama na mahirap ang pakiramdam ng marami kaaway!
so les study intonating oltugeder! shall we? :D  hehe

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2006, 06:03:19 PM »
nauna siya e! hehehe.

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2006, 06:05:56 PM »
hehe...cheers! basta guitar laber sweet laber...
tama na nga kitang kita na typing talent ko dito:)

Offline nivleklive

Perfect Intonation
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
hey guys.

Got my guitar Saturday afternoon and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Al Librero and his awesome custom guitar.

So what do I think of Sir Jun's work? Walang stir mga pare, my guitar feels like new. The action is a bit lower and the strings just glide of the fret wires. Tone is as clear as water and intonation was spot on. I'm all praises for Jun's work, he is a real craftsman showing real pride and dedication to his work.

My advice to those who are a bit apprehensive about the quality of his work is this: just bring your guitar to him. As Al said, if you honestly don't like his work just tell him why and I'm sure he won't ask you to pay :)

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2006, 02:50:26 PM »
Im glad you liked how your guitar turned out? What's your guitar? How long did it take for Jun to fix it?