hulika

Author Topic: BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues  (Read 131496 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2006, 01:47:51 PM »
So much history... too kewl!

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2006, 01:58:37 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
oh bb...you're forgettin something....

when butch left the band....his darker twin took his place
:lol:

Oo nga pala!!! To the general public:

Did you ever notice how Johnny Besa actually looks like Butch Roxas (plus 6 inches and muscles)? Since day one we have been teasing him about this -- something of course which he refused to acknowledge. Until one day........

.......we are playing at this party in a private home in Malate. The crowd is very hip -- incense burning, booze is flowing, creative people all around, babes and studs all around, beautiful fairy lights hanging from spectacular narra tree in the middle of the courtyard.... In the middle of "Chain of fools", a really good looking girl saunters up to Johnny who is grooving heavily on his bass.

She croons in a bedroom voice, "...heeey... how are you? It's been a while huh.... where have YOU been....? Looking goooood...".  8-[

Johnny's face:  :confused:

She then proceeds to get right up on his face, kisses his nose, sticks her tongue in his ear, and runs her finger from his chin down his throat down the middle of his chest.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: <<< the Rat's faces. The Rats thoughts >>> =P~  =P~  =P~  =P~  =P~ .

Johnny's d**k......er...... nose:  :^o

She then gives his t-shirt a little tug (black, mind you), and walks away nonchalantly saying, "...see you later.........Butch...".  #-o  #-o  #-o  #-o  #-o

We never did find out the beautiful girl's name.

The amazing thing about all this is that Butch ends up marrying Johnny's sister. :lol:

This story is archived on Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2006, 02:08:27 PM »
hahaha!! "the rolling stones guy"! i love it!  :lol:
Are You Experienced

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha

Did you ever notice how Johnny Besa actually looks like Butch Roxas (plus 6 inches and muscles)? Since day one we have been teasing him about this -- something of course which he refused to acknowledge. Until one day........

.......we are playing at this party in a private home in Malate. The crowd is very hip -- incense burning, booze is flowing, creative people all around, babes and studs all around, beautiful fairy lights hanging from spectacular narra tree in the middle of the courtyard.... In the middle of "Chain of fools", a really good looking girl saunters up to Johnny who is grooving heavily on his bass.

She croons in a bedroom voice, "...heeey... how are you? It's been a while huh.... where have YOU been....? Looking goooood...".  8-[

She then proceeds to get right up on his face, kisses his nose, sticks her tongue in his ear, and runs her finger from his chin down his throat down the middle of his chest.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: <<< the Rat's faces. The Rats thoughts >>> =P~  =P~  =P~  =P~  =P~ .

She then gives his t-shirt a little tug (black, mind you), and walks away nonchalantly saying, "...see you later.........Butch...".  #-o  #-o  #-o  #-o  #-o

The amazing thing about all this is that Butch ends up marrying Johnny's sister. :lol:

Tang 'na!  Almost forgot that one!  Turns out that the lady is actually the cousin of an ex-girlfriend of mine, I forget her name na rin...  But if there ever was a guy who'd get in trouble because of this, it'd be Butch!  But Maya (my sister) was a real sport about it... She just sorta gives him this look and says to me, "she thought you were Butch, huh?" and gives Butch a smirk that'd make the Rizal monument shudder.   :lol:   Better yet, you shoulda seen the lady's face when I told her that I wasn't Butch!  I remember she asked me how Maya was.  I said that she was fine, thinking that she must be one of Maya's friends.  Then she asks me, "How's tita Bing (Roxas, Butch's mom)?"  I sorta had a flash, then said, "Ah... Now I know what you're problem is.  I'm not Butch!  I'm Johnny, Maya's brother!"  At first she didn't believe me, saying stuff like, "come on Butch, don't f__k around!"  When it finally dawned on her that I was telling the truth, she just smiled and told me that I wasn't a bad kisser, so okay lang.   :lol:   Saw her once more in Hobbit, then never again.  I don't believe I'd forgotten that!   :lol:
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2006, 02:36:14 PM »

Johnny Johnny Johnny...I guess sticking to black has its rewards...It's always hard to tell in the dark  :D
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2006, 02:48:52 PM »
By the way, for everyone's benefit I will wear something other than black for the next few gigs.  In the history of the Rats this has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Speaking of gigs, we'll be playing for the Philmusic Bassist Forum's EB at Kolumn Bar in Timog this coming Friday, August 25... Just a half hour set, something that the rest of us were surprisingly willing to do.  =D>  We will also be at Mag:Net next Friday, September 1.  See you all there!  :D

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2006, 03:22:04 PM »
aha aha aha

d kaya matunaw ka dyanibee if you would wear another color! :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »
aha aha aha

Di naman siguro... Not everything I wear is black naman, and what it covers is still solid...

I mean my SOCKS, of course...   :wink:  :lol:

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva

Johnny Johnny Johnny...I guess sticking to black has its rewards...It's always hard to tell in the dark  :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:29 PM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala

well, the band has been around for 10 years and its past and current lineup (and the people who sat in with the band) is sort of a who's who of the pinoy blues scene. may k. :D

we dont mind :lol:

carry on 8)

Nate, as usual, you are a gracious and generous gentleman. Not surprising that you and Delta are good friends -- two of the nicest folks on these here forums. Thanks.  :)

delta who?

:lol: :lol:

Quote from: DyaniBee
...we are playing at this party in a private home in Malate. The crowd is very hip -- incense burning, booze is flowing, creative people all around, babes and studs all around, beautiful fairy lights hanging from spectacular narra tree in the middle of the courtyard.... In the middle of "Chain of fools", a really good looking girl saunters up to Johnny who is grooving heavily on his bass.

Tang 'na!  Almost forgot that one!  Turns out that the lady is actually the cousin of an ex-girlfriend of mine, I forget her name na rin...  But if there ever was a guy who'd get in trouble because of this, it'd be Butch!  But Maya (my sister) was a real sport about it... She just sorta gives him this look and says to me, "she thought you were Butch, huh?" and gives Butch a smirk that'd make the Rizal monument shudder.   :lol:   Better yet, you shoulda seen the lady's face when I told her that I wasn't Butch!  I remember she asked me how Maya was.  I said that she was fine, thinking that she must be one of Maya's friends.  Then she asks me, "How's tita Bing (Roxas, Butch's mom)?"  I sorta had a flash, then said, "Ah... Now I know what you're problem is.  I'm not Butch!  I'm Johnny, Maya's brother!"  At first she didn't believe me, saying stuff like, "come on Butch, don't f__k around!"  When it finally dawned on her that I was telling the truth, she just smiled and told me that I wasn't a bad kisser, so okay lang.   :lol:   Saw her once more in Hobbit, then never again.  I don't believe I'd forgotten that!   :lol:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
that makes you a god among us men, sir johnny. :lol:

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2006, 08:02:13 PM »
aha aha aha

musta Jon?!

- Bitoy
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2006, 12:57:33 AM »
eto nakaka-miss nang tumugtog in front of people.....medyo trabaho lang muna ang priority ngayon.....ayos lang brader bitoy
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2006, 07:42:30 AM »
And before this turns into a narcissistic "Johnny's Fashion and Sexual Confessions" thread.......

The lull in the Rats' gigging activity very fittingly results in the logical conclusion to Apa's own mini-saga. In January of 2004, almost exactly six months into the 8th year after the Rats began, Apa gets hitched to #8. At a beautiful reception on the secluded grounds of Kuh Ledesma's hideaway near Tagaytay, A.L. gives the wedding toast as the best man, secretly resenting the fact that he has had to wear a long-tailed, gray morning coat at the grooms insistence. Visions of an elephant in a penguin suit linger as a painful traumatic memory. The couple's first dance is to the tune of Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman" which the wedding entertainment -- The Blue Rats -- enthusiastically perform. Tricie made the effort to return from downunder for the affair -- in some ways putting a fitting closure to an eight year run with Apa's marriage to bachelorette #8.

In 2004 into 2005, an itch needed to be scratched in the Rats' tails. The remaining bandmembers returned to the rehearsal studio. With Miguel and Tricie gone, and with Johnny trying to do doubletime with Overdrive, the band invited ex-Barbie's Cradle nanny #1 Wendell Garcia (himself an ex-Rat) to fill the drum seat. The talented and funky-tatooed Clare Lapuz (ex-Mother Björn) ended in the vocal chair. This version of the Rats only played out twice -- the most memorable of which was the second Beacon School Concert to raise funds to buy instruments for the music program of a needy elementary sister school. The Rats were mobbed by autograph seekers. Subsequently, as Johnny's chores with Overdrive became more demanding, he was replaced by ex-Barbie's Cradle nanny #2 Rommel de la Cruz -- the superb and supremely funky/tasty bass player. Folks, if you've never seen or heard this guy play -- do it. Rommel is the real deal. Unfortunately, the Rats never played out with this lineup, as the new members' commitments also began to get in the way.

2006 once again looked to be another slow year. Joe had committed himself fully to his church, and very sadly informed the band that his playing days with bands outside the boundaries of his faith were over. As happy as the Rats were to know that he had found his mission in life, there was certainty that he'd be sorely missed. Then a very strange thing happened....

In January, the band got a phone call from a very large call center, Ambergris Solutions. For their annual company Town Hall Meeting, they wanted to mount a huge "American Idol/Rockstar" competition company wide. In a nutshell: from 3,200 employees, the contest would narrow it down to 12 finalists, all of whom would learn a band's repertoire over a 6 week period -- 3 songs each, no repeats -- and sing these numbers onstage in front of a panel of celebrity judges and 4,000 screaming employees at the Araneta Coliseum with parts of the event to be aired on MTV. The prize: 3 months paid leave while singing with the band on their regular gig schedule. Having heard that the Rats were looking for a singer, Ambergris was hot about hiring the band.

To prepare for this gig, a stand in singer, drummer, and a bass player had to be found. On a whim, Tom brought in someone he knew from doing photography work at the Shangrila hotel. He described her as "this girl who says she can sing the blues" but had never really done it for real before.

The band's reaction:  :doubt:

To make a long story short -- Tom brought in Mai Mislang. She came, We heard, She conquered.  :lol: . It was clear to everyone that buried deep within this rather intense, enthusiastic and secretly sweet person (she doesn't want anyone to know she's sweet, so she tries to act.... well.... intense and enthusiastic.  :lol: ) was the genuine potential for a very serious set of pipes. Johnny "Black" Besa's schedule from Overdrive suddenly freed up so the Black Blue Rat was back in the bass slot. In the drumseat, Vic Borgailly (ex-KO Jones) just happened to be scheduled first on a list of drummers the Rats had asked to try out. Unfortunately for the rest of the list, the guy knew practically every song on the repertoire, understood what a "sticky backbeat" (lagkit) meant, played naturally in the pocket, had great timekeeping, could actually do a genuine blues shuffle, and felt completely comfortable doing drum solos. Our apologies to anyone else on that list who never got a chance to do it, but that was early February and the gig was at the end of February!!! Absolute panic time to try and get over 36 songs down in rehearsals with 12 unknowns over 3 weeks in time for the event.  :shock:

Fast Forward:  Rehearsals were intense and fun. Vic and Mai were hot. One trial gig at Hobbit House with all 12 contestants the week before the event. On event day the Coliseum Rocked. In the final three-way shoot out, a clear winner emerged -- Kim Dosado doing absolutely knock 'em dead versions of "Tush" and "Mary Had A Little Lamb" -- she is the reigning Ambergris Rockstar  8) and the newest Rat.

Which brings us to today. Six months after that Rockstar gig, the double whammy of Mai and Kim are coming to the nearest bar to bluesify your soul....

Come check it out.  :bluewink:

Notice how Johnny's fashion bias has morphed into a contagious disease in the pic above.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »
so ....should blue rats change their name to "black" rats?

not very funny....but one thing certainly makes sense to me.

two awesome lead guitar players.

two bluesified to the bone singers.

two "malagkit" rythm section members...

and uhm.....well two ...uhm....well, tom and AL...the last the two members....heheh...well, i tried to make sense. but it doesnt....

:o

naiinggit ako grabe!!!!! masarap talaga mag blues!!!!:shock:  :D  :o

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »
Oh great... More blues names for me.  :P  :lol:   What was it?  Second-Set Blackie?   :lol:  :lol:   Black Burat?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  This thread just gets better and better.  Now though that we've come to the apparent end of the Blue Rats' story, time to make history naman.  See you guys at the gigs.   :D

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
whatever happen to?
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2006, 09:15:51 AM »
ok...now time to come clean blue buddha....

whatever happen to butch roxas?

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2006, 09:23:04 AM »
that pic is awesome! :)
Are You Experienced

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
Re: whatever happen to?
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2006, 09:26:45 AM »
ok...now time to come clean blue buddha....

whatever happen to butch roxas?

Butch was and remains to be my brother-in-law... Just saw him here at home last night, working with my Mom on a project, something to do with classical standards. He still teaches at UST and has now been contracted to do podcasts for Naxos, a classical music label, part-time.  :)  

The picture is the same old one, with Kim photoshopped in by our master photographer-slash-harpist.  We used it na at Dish but they tore down the poster before I had the chance to steal it.   :lol:

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
aha! i had to edit pa my post, cuz i thought it was on the disc and i didnt see it! haha. cool! :)
Are You Experienced

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
whatever happened to? part II
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2006, 09:55:04 AM »
whatever happened to JJ coloma?

AKA....the only regular keyboard player of the blue rats? from way back in the mid 90s.....1st generation

last thing i heard he was majoring in Harp...taking exclusive studies from CCP( he finished stidies with his first major w/c was piano and was preparing for his graduation recital in UST.)

also managed to talk to him when i was still in the rats over the phone. he married his college sweetheart...but is there any new info on him? BB?

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »

To prepare for this gig, a stand in singer, drummer, and a bass player had to be found. On a whim, Tom brought in someone he knew from doing photography work at the Shangrila hotel. He described her as "this girl who says she can sing the blues" but had never really done it for real before.

The band's reaction:  :doubt:

To make a long story short -- Tom brought in Mai Mislang. She came, We heard, She conquered.  :lol: . It was clear to everyone that buried deep within this rather intense, enthusiastic and secretly sweet person (she doesn't want anyone to know she's sweet, so she tries to act.... well.... intense and enthusiastic.  :lol: ) was the genuine potential for a very serious set of pipes.

As that line in my favorite movie goes "You're too sweet for rock and roll..." It may be true, but that's my mystery :)

And although I had a superb time working with Tom at Shang, that laborious gig was a slow killer. So you can only imagine my joy when I finally told my boss..."I'm leaving because I'll be singing for a band." Now THAT's in-your-face rock and roll...

And it's the Blue Rats for cryin out loud...It's not just ANY band. Who even knew that singing blues with these dudes could save one's soul from the cudgels of corporate impropriety? :) Hallelujah!

now if we could only work on those scary old men lurking around at gigs going RAAARRR unexpectedly :shock:
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »
aha...the mystery finally clears....

hiya dopedeeva...did you read my comment on your blog?

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2006, 11:55:07 AM »
aha...the mystery finally clears....

hiya dopedeeva...did you read my comment on your blog?

heya! i did! thanks :) i sent you a reply thru your email...

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2006, 03:15:04 PM »
uhm i didnt recieve any email dopedeeva... :cry:

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: whatever happened to? part II
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2006, 03:36:41 PM »
whatever happened to JJ coloma?

AKA....the only regular keyboard player of the blue rats? from way back in the mid 90s.....1st generation

You know more than I do.

Quote from: dopedeeva
And it's the Blue Rats for cryin out loud...It's not just ANY band. Who even knew that singing blues with these dudes could save one's soul from the cudgels of corporate impropriety? Smile Hallelujah!

now if we could only work on those scary old men lurking around at gigs going RAAARRR unexpectedly Shocked

Unless you uglify yourself, shave off those compelling eyebrows, sing lousy, develop halitosis, dress in a potato sack, gain 80 lbs. and find a way to switch off your female pheromones.... am afraid you are doomed to getting a rise out of scary old men.... now only if these were scary young men....  
Quote from: DyaniBee
iBee"] Now though that we've come to the apparent end of the Blue Rats' story, time to make history naman.

.... Ok, when is the next "Talong Party"?  :lol: