hulika

Author Topic: Overrated and underrated pedals  (Read 34443 times)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Overrated and underrated pedals
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
Agree with you guys that the metal zone is underrated.  Try to name it as your favorite pedal in a gear forum, and you'll probably get a hater or two, especially in this day and age of bowteeek.   :-D

Its parametric mid EQ knobs are powerful tools, and it's the reason why it was so popular back in the day.  Set to some low gain settings, it becomes a versatile overdrive pedal or booster (it isn't just a metal distortion!).  And nowadays, there are a lot of mods you can do to it.  For starters, if you find it sounds too 80's with its nasal midrange, just take out two capacitors for a basic mod.

Ok.  Putting on flame suit now.  Be gentle on me please.   :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline maniacally_cool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »

underrated- i agree that the old DOD stuff doesnt get much love. the DOD FX-17 volume wah is a poor mans vintage vox. kills the newer dunlops and voxes in the seep department when the internal trimmers are set right, though you may not get the same dirt coz its cleaner, and the bypass sucks tone. there are workarounds to treat those.

ah, so it's still with you.  :-D
i should have known better. hehehe   :cry:

overrated:  ahm...i don't know but there was a time that the boss SD-2 became a hype dito sa forum. then some sellers affix "rare" when they have one on the classifieds. i've own a couple of this model and all i can say is i cant see any significant difference sa sound when compared with other boss od pedals. Plus lang siguro yung additional boost nya. anyway, just an opinion guys.  :wink:

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »
overrated:  ahm...i don't know but there was a time that the boss SD-2 became a hype dito sa forum. then some sellers affix "rare" when they have one on the classifieds. i've own a couple of this model and all i can say is i cant see any significant difference sa sound when compared with other boss od pedals. Plus lang siguro yung additional boost nya. anyway, just an opinion guys.  :wink:

yun pa yata yung time na pataasan ang bidding sa SD-2... tsk tsk :P

underrated: some ARION pedals

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 11:24:17 AM »
underrated: DOD bifet preamp. no brainer din. :) ganda ng clean boost. :) if may nakita kayo try it. :)
"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »
oh wow!... wala lang. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my badmonkey! great sound. great price. ah well.

Underrated: ...ummm, i don't see the Guyatone Digital Delay getting much love or talk here sa boards.  I have one on my board and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.  Really really nice delays from the little guy. :)

oh yeah! the micro delay aint getting much love either. tried one, was jonesing for one too.

@maniacally_cool- i kept the fx-17 with me for a long time, unloaded it and nearly acquired another, but i'm happy now with my area 51 loaded wah.

@xelalien- yup! arion is damn good. i got a great tone using an arion distortion through a trademark amp one time, the 1st time i got to jam with deltaslim. and an arion overdrive saved my hide the 1st time i jammed with the bluerats.

@ianz- mismo rib ang bi fet preamp. had one with me too, its a great jazz boost.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
Underrated: Behringer V-Amp 2. IMHO, maganda tunog ng distortion niya when compared to most products of Zoom.

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »
Underrated: Boss pedals. Seriously, too many people are dismissing Boss immediately without listening to the pedals in favor of the boutiques. Many Boss pedals are really good sounding and can hold their own in tours and stage abuse. Easily replaced also. I can't say the same for many of the boutique brands.

+1  :-)
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

Offline .bong.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »
overrated: Boss DS-1. overrated as a main-dirt-generating distortion pedal. fizzy, tinny mosquito tone.

underrated: Boss DS-1. underrated as a blast-your-semi-dirty-amp-into-gonzo-distortion overdriver. its got plenty of clean output and is one of the fattest ODs around with the distortion knob at zero, tone at 9:00 to 11:00, and the volume knob past 1:00.

+1

Ganito nga setting ko sa stock DS1 ko pang boost. At ok rin as main od  :-)
.bong.

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »
@xelalien- yup! arion is damn good. i got a great tone using an arion distortion through a trademark amp one time, the 1st time i got to jam with deltaslim. and an arion overdrive saved my hide the 1st time i jammed with the bluerats.

hehe, same here! still have my SDI-1 Distortion (actually 3xmodded by BAMF)... love it with my single coil-equipped guitar.

btw, I also have a FX17 :) also a keeper... hmmm I'll try to tweak those trimpots :)

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
Overrated: Zvex. Yes they are unique sounding but I know only of a handful of songs that have used their pedals. The Box of Rock/Metal is probably the most useful of them with the Fuzz Factory close behind.

Underrated: Boss pedals. Seriously, too many people are dismissing Boss immediately without listening to the pedals in favor of the boutiques. Many Boss pedals are really good sounding and can hold their own in tours and stage abuse. Easily replaced also. I can't say the same for many of the boutique brands.

Don't flame me. Its my opinion. You have yours, I have mine.

I strongly agree. Some (NOT ALL) boutique pedal manufacturers claiming their pedals are the best in the market is just a hype.

Offline bentoinks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
imo lang (also supporting some ideas mentioned)

overrated: (i commend myself for being able to say this)

1) some dunlop wahs, some mxr pedals like disto
2) Nova Delay, sorrryyy i know teh pros recommend this but i really dont get why, it has 8 presets fine, but it can only do so much
3) DS-1, CE-5

underrated:

1) BOSS pedals (i agree with greenweenie) i dont get it! a lot of people complain about tonesuck, and some wisecrack even told me on ym to dispose of my boss pedals (wth, i wont mention his name but pm me if interested) but even mike einziger and dave navarro use boss. Okay pa rin sound ng boss, kahit ano pa sabihin ng ibang tao.
2) DOD pedals
3) DL-4, a lot of people, believe me, bash this pedal, cuz it only has 3 presets, and partly because of nova delay
4)OS-2! regarding its sound, its really versatile imo, so many people wanted this pedal out of their boards asap after buying it
5) metal milf (muff) - great sound
6) Boston peds

When World War III begins, get as many boss pedals as you can and build your fallout shelter out of them - you may not survive but they will :-D

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »
imo lang (also supporting some ideas mentioned)

overrated: (i commend myself for being able to say this)

1) some dunlop wahs, some mxr pedals like disto
2) Nova Delay, sorrryyy i know teh pros recommend this but i really dont get why, it has 8 presets fine, but it can only do so much
3) DS-1, CE-5

underrated:

1) BOSS pedals (i agree with greenweenie) i dont get it! a lot of people complain about tonesuck, and some wisecrack even told me on ym to dispose of my boss pedals (wth, i wont mention his name but pm me if interested) but even mike einziger and dave navarro use boss. Okay pa rin sound ng boss, kahit ano pa sabihin ng ibang tao.
2) DOD pedals
3) DL-4, a lot of people, believe me, bash this pedal, cuz it only has 3 presets, and partly because of nova delay
4)OS-2! regarding its sound, its really versatile imo, so many people wanted this pedal out of their boards asap after buying it
5) metal milf (muff) - great sound
6) Boston peds

Spit it out!

But yeah the DL-4 IMO is one hell of a pedal, maybe some underrate it because they try to get the classic delay out of it(hence people turn to the nova delay) but the real forte of the DL-4 is in the features like the modulate, sweep, etc.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:35:03 PM by samishellacool »

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
Spit it out!

But yeah the DL-4 IMO is one hell of a pedal, maybe some underrate it because they try to get the classic delay out of it(hence people turn to the nova delay) but the real forte of the DL-4 is in the features like the modulate, sweep, etc.

You forgot the ever awesome looper.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
You forgot the ever awesome looper.

Oh yeah, and that one too.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »

Underrated: ...ummm, i don't see the Guyatone Digital Delay getting much love or talk here sa boards.  I have one on my board and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon......

Really? Hindi mo papalitan kahit na ng ganito?  :-D

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:55 PM »

Now that is one ugly pedal.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 05:48:47 PM »

The brackets can be unscrewed, it'll look conventional.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »

Looks like a toy.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »
Looks like a toy.

And that's why it's underrated. :wink: Does this look any better than that?

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »
And that's why it's underrated. :wink: Does this look any better than that?

A lot better, these pedals actually remind me of a pedal tuner i've seen(forgot the brand) maybe because of the color.

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 10:51:55 PM »

hehe. will have to try that one out bro... lumabas na ba yan? dont care how it looks. hehe.

Offline bentoinks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »
Oh yeah, and that one too.

haha yeah

anyway, that guyatone pedal's funkeh :-D
When World War III begins, get as many boss pedals as you can and build your fallout shelter out of them - you may not survive but they will :-D

Offline dirt

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 11:37:28 PM »
mga sir, question lang... overrated ba ang bb xotic o talagang maganda to? dami kasi akong naririnig na the best daw... di pa ako nakasubok. ty po

8-)

para sakin, underrated: ibanez tone lock pedals except WD7.
                                   some boss peds
                 overrated: ibanez weeping demon
                                 some mxr's
YEAH I WANNA PLAY GUITAR EVERYDAY!!

Offline bentoinks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »

para sakin, underrated:
                                   some boss peds
                 overrated: ibanez weeping demon
                                 some mxr's

SO true regarding some mxrs and weeping demon. which boss peds? :-D

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
mga sir, question lang... overrated ba ang bb xotic o talagang maganda to? dami kasi akong naririnig na the best daw... di pa ako nakasubok. ty po

8-)

OK tlaga BB Preamp pre hehe, drop by ka minsan dito sa place pa-test ko sayo. Naka-ilang boutique pedals na rin ako, ito lang talaga tinago ko & yung chili picoso clean boost  :)