hulika

Author Topic: SHOW ME YOUR AMP/S!  (Read 559516 times)

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Show me your AMP!
« Reply #425 on: November 01, 2008, 08:44:08 AM »
@ siore nice Dual Showman Reverb. :wink:

here's what I recently acquired for cheap. :evil:

a Dual Showman Reverb in a 2X12 combo. I did a bit of research about the DSR and found out that it was only made as a head. Now I was wondering why the heck is this one in a 2X12 combo. :lol:
I also found out that DSR's are essentially twin reverbs with higher output (that's why they were made as heads). I realized that what the original owner may have done is get a twin reverb chassis and install the DSR head. :lol:
Upside, at least I don't need to worry about cabs anymore.
Downside, it's goddamn heavy. :lol:

Oh and the tiny one on top is a 70's MIJ Teisco Model 62 all tube amp. 15W (or could be 5W) with 8" speaker. There are four tubes (or more possibly) I don't have any idea what they are. 2 inputs with just volume and tone controls. :-D

P.S. Check out the first amp posted in this thread, de ja vu. :lol:

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #426 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
@fraudulentzodiac
you're one lucky guy! balik tingin ako sa amp  :lol:

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #427 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:17 AM »
@ siore nice Dual Showman Reverb. :wink:

here's what I recently acquired for cheap. :evil:

a Dual Showman Reverb in a 2X12 combo. I did a bit of research about the DSR and found out that it was only made as a head. Now I was wondering why the heck is this one in a 2X12 combo. :lol:
I also found out that DSR's are essentially twin reverbs with higher output (that's why they were made as heads). I realized that what the original owner may have done is get a twin reverb chassis and install the DSR head. :lol:
Upside, at least I don't need to worry about cabs anymore.
Downside, it's goddamn heavy. :lol:

Oh and the tiny one on top is a 70's MIJ Teisco Model 62 all tube amp. 15W (or could be 5W) with 8" speaker. There are four tubes (or more possibly) I don't have any idea what they are. 2 inputs with just volume and tone controls. :-D

P.S. Check out the first amp posted in this thread, de ja vu. :lol:
Master volume and no white trim..  if it has no balance pot at the rear, that would put your amp between '72-'76 (gotta double-check).  But I'm guessing you've dated your amp already.  Galing!  Pareho pa tayo.

Actually, dual showmans and twins have the same exact circuit for silverfaces, configuration differences lang on head and combo form.  It's not uncommon for you to find a twin in head form, or a dual showman put in a twin cab (Weird people, di ba?!  They should've switched to DSR or Twin, respectively, right?).  May version pa yan na non-master 80 watts, M.V. na 100 watts, then you have the ultralinear 135's!

Awesome score.  You gotta PM me how much you got it for.   We discuss more dual showman there.  :wink:  Mahirap pakawalan mga ganyang flagship fender models, and with the tone on those, I'm guessing you're loving it too!

Looks like your amp has a bit of history, yan ata yung nasa youtube ni gainsucker!   :-D

@arkeetar

Thanks bro.  What amp case?  PM mo na lang din.   8-)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:56:04 AM by siore »
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #428 on: November 03, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »

Forget the bass.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #429 on: November 03, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »
You guys sure have large amps. I f you can crank them, naiinggit ako sa inyo. For me, it's downsizing... down to 5 watts now, from 40 and 15 watters.

william251082

« Reply #430 on: November 04, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »
Ang sarap magtitingin dito ah :-o, gusto ko ng fender twin reverb!!!huhuhu :cry:

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #431 on: November 04, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
You guys sure have large amps. I f you can crank them, naiinggit ako sa inyo. For me, it's downsizing... down to 5 watts now, from 40 and 15 watters.

Nice amp. I have the Epi Valve Jr cab that goes with that head... :roll:
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #432 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
Nice amp. I have the Epi Valve Jr cab that goes with that head... :roll:

then the headless cab and the cabless head should get together someday!

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #433 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »
^PM'ed you boss. :roll:
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #434 on: November 04, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
:lol: mamanhikan  :-D

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #435 on: November 04, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »
Master volume and no white trim..  if it has no balance pot at the rear, that would put your amp between '72-'76 (gotta double-check).  But I'm guessing you've dated your amp already.  Galing!  Pareho pa tayo.

Actually, dual showmans and twins have the same exact circuit for silverfaces, configuration differences lang on head and combo form.  It's not uncommon for you to find a twin in head form, or a dual showman put in a twin cab (Weird people, di ba?!  They should've switched to DSR or Twin, respectively, right?).  May version pa yan na non-master 80 watts, M.V. na 100 watts, then you have the ultralinear 135's!

Awesome score.  You gotta PM me how much you got it for.   We discuss more dual showman there.  :wink:  Mahirap pakawalan mga ganyang flagship fender models, and with the tone on those, I'm guessing you're loving it too!

Looks like your amp has a bit of history, yan ata yung nasa youtube ni gainsucker!   :-D

@arkeetar

Thanks bro.  What amp case?  PM mo na lang din.   8-)

kung di lang ako aalis, di ko bibitawan yan...  :-D

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #436 on: November 04, 2008, 11:53:11 PM »
mahirap lang ako

Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #437 on: November 14, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »

The washburn has to go  :roll:
zzzzzzz

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #438 on: November 15, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »
to all manila-based people who own tube amps (big or small):

Do you gig with your amps? If not, how do you dial in your beloved "tube" tone if you're not blessed with a good amp at the venue? (let's say you're served with a crappy 15w amp)

I'm thinking of getting a tube amp, but i'm half hearted with the idea of lugging around a tube amp (especially on weekday gigs -- i have no car and i live in a condo). Weekend gigs with a tube amp would be fine because i have a car. Anyway.. if the tube amp idea doesn't work, i'm going for a tube preamp like a mesa boogie v-twin or a jt pedals valveboy. any thoughts? :)

(my current setup are the pedals and guitars in my signature and i'm plugged in a CRAPPY 15W amp that I DON'T EVEN OWN. haha. I'm trying to get myself content with this to at least lessen my expectations on gigs. The higher the standards I have, the worse it will get for me on gigs -- WITH CRAPPY AMPS) -- so what do you guys suggest? :D

By the way, here are some things i've been pondering on for two weeks now:

GIG SETUP OPTION 1
Realistic and sh!tty: all my pedals into a crappy SS amp. Just like my current setup!

GIG SETUP OPTION 2
Upgrade: Uber good OD/drive pedal plus delay, tuner, wah, to a crappy/normal SS amp. "Pwede na"

GIG SETUP OPTION 3
Upgrade 2: Tube preamp pedal -- mesa vtwin/jt pedals valveboy/demonizer, etc. plus my other non-drive pedals(i just hope to have a power amp at the gig. PA option sucks because bars here do not even have decent monitors!!)

GIG SETUP OPTION 4
Lug around a good tube amp. -- mesa boogie express? or a peavey classic 30? plus my delay in the fx loop

These are my thoughts for now. Sana kahit mahal yung option, magagamit ko rin sa gig. I don't want to spend big bucks for a bedroom amp. A good friend of mine from the states (alds) suggested i get the v-twin to at least get a tube and boogie tone out of my setup. Kahit flat lang lahat ng settings sa SS amp, pwede na daw. Anyway... Yeah.. That's it. Sorry for the long post :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:40:05 PM by CARABAO »

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #439 on: November 16, 2008, 04:00:04 AM »
Sansamp.

really? i've tried the gt2 and tri-ac for gigs. they're good if the amp has an fx loop, but if you get an amp without an fx loop, you're doomed. what sansamp model are you using? do you plug it straight to the guitar input? When i used mine before, i put the amp eq's at 12 oclock.. thing is with this setup is that your tone's inconsistent in every gig (given that amps always differ). Sometimes, pangit pa ang kalalabasan because of the preamp pedal-vs-preamp of the amp setup, glassy yung tunog ng distortion. Can you help me out? Hmmm... Maybe i'm missing something. if the sansamp is the answer to my problems, then it'll be better for me as it's cheaper than the tube preamps and tube amps i'm considering. :) Thanks :)

william251082

« Reply #440 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:40 AM »

Do you gig with your amps? If not, how do you dial in your beloved "tube" tone if you're not blessed with a good amp at the venue? (let's say you're served with a crappy 15w amp)

I'm thinking of getting a tube amp, but i'm half hearted with the idea of lugging around a tube amp (especially on weekday gigs -- i have no car and i live in a condo). Weekend gigs with a tube amp would be fine because i have a car. Anyway.. if the tube amp idea doesn't work, i'm going for a tube preamp like a mesa boogie v-twin or a jt pedals valveboy. any thoughts? :)

(my current setup are the pedals and guitars in my signature and i'm plugged in a CRAPPY 15W amp that I DON'T EVEN OWN. haha. I'm trying to get myself content with this to at least lessen my expectations on gigs. The higher the standards I have, the worse it will get for me on gigs -- WITH CRAPPY AMPS) -- so what do you guys suggest? :D

GIG SETUP OPTION 1
Realistic and sh!tty: all my pedals into a crappy SS amp. Just like my current setup!

GIG SETUP OPTION 2
Upgrade: Uber good OD/drive pedal plus delay, tuner, wah, to a crappy/normal SS amp. "Pwede na"

GIG SETUP OPTION 3
Upgrade 2: Tube preamp pedal -- mesa vtwin/jt pedals valveboy/demonizer, etc. plus my other non-drive pedals(i just hope to have a power amp at the gig. PA option sucks because bars here do not have even decent monitors!!)

GIG SETUP OPTION 4
Lug around a good tube amp. -- mesa boogie express? or a peavey classic 30? plus my delay in the fx loop

These are my thoughts for now. Sana kahit mahal yung option, magagamit ko rin sa gig. I don't want to spend big bucks for a bedroom amp. A good friend of mine from the states (alds) suggested i get the v-twin to at least get a tube and boogie tone out of my setup. Kahit flat lang lahat ng settings sa SS amp, pwede na daw. Anyway... Yeah.. That's it. Sorry for the long post :)
option 4 ako sa mesa boogie sarap ng tone mo nun, ingatan mo nga lang dahil sobrang mahal nun :-D

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #441 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
Sansamp.

d tatalab yan sa setup dito sa pinas. 
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

reycantong

« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »
I used my Line6 Vetta Combo on all our gigs (malls, bars, outdoors) before I temporarily laid it to rest.

I'm now using my Peavey JSX Head with Triple X 4x12 Cab and a Line6 PODxt Pro hooked in the effects loop.

Same settings every night. Pag outdoor nga lang nagbu boost ako ng konting bass para sa "chug-chug"  :-D.

Offline orangeogre

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #443 on: November 16, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
I used my Line6 Vetta Combo on all our gigs (malls, bars, outdoors) before I temporarily laid it to rest.

I'm now using my Peavey JSX Head with Triple X 4x12 Cab and a Line6 PODxt Pro hooked in the effects loop.

Same settings every night. Pag outdoor nga lang nagbu boost ako ng konting bass para sa "chug-chug"  :-D.

Asteeg ang rig mo bossing ahh

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #444 on: November 16, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »
d tatalab yan sa setup dito sa pinas. 

i totally agree with this. i bought a sansamp before with the thought that i'd have my tone consistent in every gig. hindi rin pala, because the amps here in the philippines are really crappy. it's like using the sansamp for purposes not intended by its design. (how can you use the sansamp properly given that in a gig, you're served with a 30 watt marshall SS amp with no fx loop.HMMMMM)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:58:53 PM by CARABAO »

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #445 on: November 16, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »

GIG SETUP OPTION 1

GIG SETUP OPTION 2

GIG SETUP OPTION 3
Upgrade 2: Tube preamp pedal -- mesa vtwin/jt pedals valveboy/demonizer, etc. plus my other non-drive pedals(i just hope to have a power amp at the gig. PA option sucks because bars here do not have even decent monitors!!)

GIG SETUP OPTION 4

I'm a little abnormal bro. I would go through back breaking lengths just to make sure I am happy with my tone for the night. Nawawalan kase ako ng gana tumugtog pag di ako masaya sa tone ko e. The lousy house amps really used to take the wind out of my sails. My thoughts on your case:

option 4 is the way to go if you ask me... maybe a classic 30 na luma (they say the older ones are better)

Why classic 30: versatile and not so heavy and masarap na rin ang tone :)

I used to carry around a relatively  big board (overdrive pedals, wah, delay etc) which was stupid heavy, and flip 400 Guyatone amp that was also heavy because of the step down transformer. Hard case pa guitara ko :o Dami kong dala na mabibigat, tapos 4-5 songs lang dahil prod... so medyo there are days na naiinis talaga ako ng konti sa ordeal niya. So I decided, why not just get a good tube amp, get my overdrive and clean tone from the amp, which would significantly cut down my board to just the footswitch, pedal tuner, delay, and wah. The result was easier logistics and even happier tone hehe. (BTW my amp is around 55lbs and pretty big for a 1x12 so what i did was i installed casters hehe)

On your other question, tube amps are relatively loud even at 18watts so i suggest you dial in your tone first at home, play around with your amp until you're familiar with how the knobs mix and how your guitar volume and tone pots respond to the shape of your tone and work from there. I suggest you get an amp with a good master volume. If your amp won't have MV, get a good dirt pedal that is taken well by your tube amp para you can get your crunch at lower volumes.

If commuting happens on your gig days regularly though, baka lugging around both a tube amp and board may be challenging. So maybe you can go minimalist on those days and just bring your amp and stuff your delay and wah in your gig bag pocket :)

Just my thoughts, hope it helps :)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:05:12 PM by Filippo »
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

reycantong

« Reply #446 on: November 16, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »

Asteeg ang rig mo bossing ahh

Salamat po ser. Mahirap kasi umasa minsan sa setup na aabutan mo na lang sa gigs e.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »
thanks for the insights Esse and Chadik. :)

I'm leaning towards what you guys said. I just need to research more on amps - to at least know what I should really get. I asked Boosted about this too.. yeah, he said the same thing. I'm currently planning to get one the three listed below:

1) Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 (or if i can stretch my budget, 5:50)
2) Mesa Boogie F-30 (thanks for the tip Boosted)
3) Peavey Classic 30

Abot kaya talaga yung Peavey C30 eh. And i think the KLD chinese amp counterpart would also suffice..

I also got this wild idea last night.. haha. Pwede rin siguro Mesa Boogie V-twin preamp then pagawa ako ng custom cab for it. Pero naisip ko na yung gain pala nito is from diode clipping, not from the tubes themselves, so hindi ko alam kung magandang idea yun. Spending for a V-twin plus a custom cab can already get me a Peavey C30 already (used of course).

Would you still go for the real deal or pwede na tong V-twin thing? I'd really want to get a boogie tone, thing is, they're just plain expensive. Haha. Plus the V-twin's really really portable.

One more thing, have any of you tried plugging the V-twin to a clean SS amp with the eq set to flat? I read at the gearpage that it really behaves well with super clean SS amps for that boogie tone :)

Any words? :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:10:50 PM by CARABAO »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
thanks for the insights Esse and Chadik. :)

I'm leaning towards what you guys said. I just need to research more on amps - to at least know what I should really get. I asked Boosted about this too.. yeah, he said the same thing. I'm currently planning to get one the three listed below:

1) Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 (or if i can stretch my budget, 5:50)
2) Mesa Boogie F-30 (thanks for the tip Boosted)
3) Peavey Classic 30

Abot kaya talaga yung Peavey C30 eh. And i think the KLD chinese amp counterpart would also suffice..

I also got this wild idea last night.. haha. Pwede rin siguro Mesa Boogie V-twin preamp then pagawa ako ng custom cab for it. Pero naisip ko na yung gain pala nito is from diode clipping, not from the tubes themselves, so hindi ko alam kung magandang idea yun. Spending for a V-twin plus a custom cab can already get me a Peavey C30 already (used of course).

Would you still go for the real deal or pwede na tong V-twin thing? I'd really want to get a boogie tone, thing is, they're just plain expensive. Haha. Plus the V-twin's really really portable.

One more thing, have any of you tried plugging the boogie to a clean SS amp with the eq set to flat? I read at the gearpage that it really behaves well with super clean SS amps for that boogie tone :)

Any words? :)

A lot of people swear by using a tube preamp through a MOSValve SS poweramp.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
A lot of people swear by using a tube preamp through a MOSValve SS poweramp.

What kind of tube preamp would that be sir dodjie? thanks :)