hulika

Author Topic: JOe Satriani playing a Strat with a Digitech rp200 in a solidstate amp!  (Read 4171 times)

Offline dmolester

• Netizen Level
notes, riffs and style can be replicated, but not the soul and essence of your music... so be THE ONLY ONE!

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Re: JOe Satriani playing a Strat with a Digitech rp200 in a solidstate amp!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:50:06 AM »
dinig talaga difference sa gear kahit may skills. else pro players like Satriani would have stayed what whatever gear was lying around.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
he complained about the guitar...proper set up is just so important that when you're playing...you aren't minding the tools and focus on creating and making music.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline ejecruz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
he complained about the guitar...proper set up is just so important that when you're playing...you aren't minding the tools and focus on creating and making music.

Oo nga eh.. painful daw sa guitar na un.. ehehhe
Joshua 1:8

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
I'd like to see Joe play this in an SRV strat na naka set-up for SRV.  :lol: :lol:
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline metalmaster

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
Galing :mrgreen: diyan sa video mo makikita na kailangan din ng magandang gears para mas gumanda pa yung tunog...

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
Yeah this sounds pretty nasty if you listen to it for a prolonged period  :lol:

Still though, making you forget even for a moment that Satch wasn't holding a JS guitar plugged into his normal rig says a lot about him as a guitar player.

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
the playing style sounds like Satch, because it is Satch playing. The phrasing, attack on the strings, dynamics, etc. sounds definitely SATCH!  :-D

but the tone?

IMO (not that my opinion matters, because I'm just a nobody! LOL!) the tone doesn't sound like Satch. let me just say when Satch tapped using his pick... sakit sa tenga (piercing highs!)! Malamang sa malamang hindi pinakialaman ni Satch yung settings ng amp at patch sa effects nung tropa niya. Ibang usapan kung si Satch nagtweak ng amp at effects no matter how crappy they are.

Andy Timmons' vid below on the other hand...

...is a different story!  :wave:
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
the playing style sounds like Satch, because it is Satch playing. The phrasing, attack on the strings, dynamics, etc. sounds definitely SATCH!  :-D

but the tone?

IMO (not that my opinion matters, because I'm just a nobody! LOL!) the tone doesn't sound like Satch. let me just say when Satch tapped using his pick... sakit sa tenga (piercing highs!)! Malamang sa malamang hindi pinakialaman ni Satch yung settings ng amp at patch sa effects nung tropa niya. Ibang usapan kung si Satch nagtweak ng amp at effects no matter how crappy they are.

Andy Timmons' vid below on the other hand...

...is a different story!  :wave:

OK..that AT video was sick! Yung first few notes palang nung 'Gently Weeps sulit na!

Baka pwedeng palitan yung thread title ng "Artists playing unusual gear" or something like that. hehe
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Kennyadry

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:28 PM »
I think this great guitar legends are so humiliating and inspiring...knowing that we here keep on complaining gears that we have. But look at this great people. They may be difference in the tone but certainly it sounded just the way they wanted it to sound with the gears that they're currently playing.
"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »
I think this great guitar legends are so humiliating and inspiring...knowing that we here keep on complaining gears that we have. But look at this great people. They may be difference in the tone but certainly it sounded just the way they wanted it to sound with the gears that they're currently playing.
Huh? He played for fun, don't think he will use the same stuff in studio or live performance.
What you own, owns you.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:39:17 AM »
Huh? He played for fun, don't think he will use the same stuff in studio or live performance.

exactly. obviously he visited his friend who was so happy to see him.

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 05:50:26 AM »
They may be difference in the tone but certainly it sounded just the way they wanted it to sound with the gears that they're currently playing.

huh?! are you serious?
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline Kennyadry

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
Oh!  So sorry for that noob comment masters.  I was just overwhelm by the fact that even satch and AT had the not so ideal gear, they still sounded great for me. I forgot that there are great tonemasters here. Hehe
"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

Offline toybitz

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
I'd like to see Joe play this in an SRV strat na naka set-up for SRV.  :lol: :lol:

oo nga noh! hahaha! that would be a treat! hahahaha!
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
nice playing same teknik kaso yung tone parang nakasaksak sa hot cabs amp at boss mt 2 pedal
dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline starkiller

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 11:49:45 PM »
opinion ko lang, looks like they simply used a mobile device to record this video. its a very poor recording with limited bandwidth and dynamics, plus, it is encoded in compressed youtube format. notice that even the voices of the people speaking sounded squeaky and full of digital artifacts... signs of poor recording devices and lossy encoding.  the recording and playback methods could have degraded the sound equally as much (if not more than) the gear that was used.

i'm not saying that the tone is good or bad. more often than not, its just very difficult to give tone conclusions based on anything on youtube because of these conditions.

all that i can say is that its impressive that he can execute with inexpensive gear with less then optimal setup.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:57:51 PM by starkiller »

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 12:50:40 AM »
I've seen Bonamassa play with a les paul reissue and rental marshall amps in an auditorium... He sounded good but not his best! Maybe because he wasn't playing his 59 and vintage amps

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
Fwiw, I think JS sounded great. And looked like he was having a good time still. And thats what matters, to me at least.
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>