hulika

Author Topic: anything about the Beatles ...  (Read 360334 times)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: anything about the Beatles ...
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »

They're having fun!!

Offline edgarthewalrus

http://www.hyneriamosssoundscape.wordpress.com
SOLD ITEMS TO foresight, yearling, dread_head, reggaenursenikew, ramnem, child309, dom_pag0ng
BOUGHT ITEMS harkanie27,userzeroone, morphine

Offline dyugs666

@jugsjugsjugs on Twitter and Instagram

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »
number 9 number 9 number 9?
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
Listening to the remastered White Album right now!

:cry:  <----this is me after hearing "Dear Prudence"

It's sooo good..too good

man..

:cry:

Offline spongegen

« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
share ko lang po, nakita ko sa tumblr ko, ngayon ko lang nalaman ung iba  :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/the-beatles/6150647/The-Beatles-20-things-you-did-not-know-about-the-Fab-Four.html

1. Impossible as it may sound there are still Beatles songs unreleased - the most notable ones being Carnival of Light (an experimental piece recorded on 5 January 1967 for The Million Volt Light and Sound Rave) and a 27-minute jam of Helter Skelter. A John Lennon composition the three surviving Beatles worked on in the early '90s prior to the Anthology release called Grow Old with Me also remains unreleased.

2. The Beatles (or at least half of it) sang for the Rolling Stones: Lennon and Paul McCartney provided backing vocals to the 1967 single We Love You.

3. Besides writing hundreds of songs for the Beatles, Lennon and McCartney also wrote dozens of songs for other artistes such as From A Window (Billy J. Kramer with The Dakotas), One and One Is Two (The Strangers with Mike Shannon), Step Inside Love and It's For You (Cilla Black), Come and Get It (Badfinger) and Woman (Peter and Gordon).

4. The Beatles’ third studio album A Hard Day’s Night is the only one to exclusively contain Lennon-McCartney compositions.

5. Paul is not McCartney's first name, James is. Lennon changed his middle name from Winston to Ono after marrying Yoko Ono in 1969.

6. At the end of Strawberry Fields Forever, Lennon is heard mumbling what sounds like "I buried Paul", which helped fuel the 'Paul is Dead' rumours. He's actually saying "cranberry sauce".

7. The only Beatles single to ever feature another musician on the credit is Get Back/Don't Let Me Down (credited to The Beatles with Billy Preston). Preston, recruited by George Harrison to ease the growing tensions in the band, played the Hammond organ on both songs.

8. Two days after Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band released, Jimi Hendrix opened his set at London's Saville Theatre with the title track, something McCartney considers his "single biggest tribute".

9. The final version of Strawberry Fields Forever was created combining two takes of the song in two different keys and speeds - a remarkable achievement considering the equipment and technology of the time - but still failed to fully satisfy Lennon. (meron ako mp3 neto! ung parang di siya natutuwa sa kanta puro first stanza lang muna)

10. The only Beatles track to be credited to Lennon and Harrison is an early instrumental called Cry for a Shadow recorded in 1961 when the band was backing Tony Sheridan. Flying and Dig It are the only two tracks to be credited to all four Beatles.

11. The BBC banned several Beatles songs - I Am the Walrus (for the use of the word 'knickers') and Fixing a Hole, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and A Day in the Life (all for alleged drug reference).

12. The working title for the film Help! was Eight Arms to Hold You.

13. For the Sgt Pepper album cover, cutouts of Adolf Hitler, Mahatma Gandhi, and Jesus Christ were requested by Lennon, but ultimately they were left out, though a cutout of Hitler was made for use.

14. Ringo Starr was the first to actually leave the group, walking out in 1968 during the acrimonious White Album sessions. As a result, the remaining Beatles all took turns on the drums for some of the tracks. When Starr finally returned he found his drum kit covered in flowers.

15. The closest the Beatles came to reuniting was at Eric Clapton's wedding to Patti Boyd in 1979, where McCartney, Harrison and Starr played. Lennon did not attend.

16. The last time Lennon and McCartney played together was at the Los Angeles Hit Factory studio in 1974. The abysmal (and possibly drug-fuelled) session, which also featured Stevie Wonder and Harry Nilsson, was of such bad quality that the bootleg recording was released as A Toot And A Snore In 74.

17. Lennon and McCartney each recorded demos called India which remain unreleased. Each of them also recorded a version of Fats Domino's Ain't That a Shame for their rock and roll albums (called Rock 'n' Roll and Снова в СССР respectively).

18. The first song ever written by Lennon was called Hello Little Girl. McCartney's first was I Lost My Little Girl.

19. Lennon was charged with plagiarism by Chuck Berry's publisher over Come Together which resembled Berry's 1956 song You Can't Catch Me. The case was settled out of court. George Harrison faced and lost a similar lawsuit over his solo hit My Sweet Lord which resembled the Chiffons' He's So Fine. (interesting... )

20. Lennon's number 9 connection: Lennon was born on 9 October 1940, his son Sean was also born 9 October, 1975. He wrote the songs #9 Dream (part of Lennon's ninth solo album Walls and Bridges which was released in the ninth month of 1974 and peaked at number 9 in the US charts) and with the Beatles - One After 909 and Revolution 9. He lived in apartment number 72 on 72nd Street in New York and was killed in the evening of December 8 when it was already early morning of December 9 in his birthplace of Liverpool.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:35:06 PM by spongegen »
...my personality is not split... it\'s shredded.<br /><br />http://itspongegen.blogspot.com<br />http://flickr.com/photos/spongegen

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »

hellloooo...anyone out there who might have listened to the remastered release!!! share naman. just came from out of town kasi & we were in church the whole till night.

Brian was there a noticeable difference on Dear Prudence compared to the previous release?

Dyugs you might have something to share..

Spongegen. good that you & Dyugs found that info. hehe from what i read before Helter Skelter was actually a 3 hr jam. Ringo yelled that he got blisters on his fingers in the end. Just imagine a 3 hr jam :-D

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2009, 06:22:37 AM »
^^I bought the White album first just to test the waters and man..I'm loving every nanosecond of it haha!  8-)

Everything is SPARKLING, crisp, and crystal clear. John's vox, Paul's bass on "Yer Blues," backing vox on "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," etc. Kung minsan naririnig ko pang yung squeak ng bass pedal ni Ringo, some studio chatter that I've never heard before, Ringo puffing a smoke before singing "Good Night," etc. Ang galing!

Soooo, I went back to the store and also bought "Abbey Road" and "Beatles for Sale." They both sound GLORIOUS. Especially "Abbey Road." It's like being a fly on the wall. I can hear the air from Ringo's bass drum on "The End" haha!  :lol:

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:49 AM »
ALSO -- the packaging is GORGEOUS. I love gatefolds, the stereo booklets, and the quicktime docus. They also replicated the seams on the Parlophone LPs. Ha!  :lol:

2 kool!  8-)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »
^^I bought the White album first just to test the waters and man..I'm loving every nanosecond of it haha!  8-)

Everything is SPARKLING, crisp, and crystal clear. John's vox, Paul's bass on "Yer Blues," backing vox on "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," etc. Kung minsan naririnig ko pang yung squeak ng bass pedal ni Ringo, some studio chatter that I've never heard before, Ringo puffing a smoke before singing "Good Night," etc. Ang galing!

Soooo, I went back to the store and also bought "Abbey Road" and "Beatles for Sale." They both sound GLORIOUS. Especially "Abbey Road." It's like being a fly on the wall. I can hear the air from Ringo's bass drum on "The End" haha!  :lol:

I envy you bro.. I like the back up vocals of Happiness is a warm gun before, ano pa kaya ngayon! wooh Ringo's drum solo!!!! the more that it cannot be equalled :lol: thanks brian

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

Ringo's drum set before he joined the Beatles is Premier.. he used Ludwig when he was already a Beatle
l

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2009, 10:50:43 PM »
On Beatles CD remasters 2009

I bought the first five albums at the same time. The were in stereo format and cost Php595.00 each. I think the mono versions are not available here. Personally, I thought Please Please Me, With the Beatles and Beatles for Sale were those that were not well transferred to CD format way back in 1987. So, they (the said titles) deserved to be listened first if indeed the enhancement can really be sensed.

Please Please Me:  Although digitally remastered at that time, the 1987 original version lacked the quality of a good recording from an album that was very well recorded and reproduced in the lp format. The music was of course the catch, however, from the standpoint of George Martin himself, the CD format was not satisfactory. Not because he is a Brit and has bias against CD, the LP format is simply beyond compared to the CD counterpart.

Right from the first track,you'll notice that the new remaster series does not aim to sound like the Anthology recordings (which were very digitized). Why? you'll hear the same "I Saw Her Standing There." But this time, Beatles sound is very rich in tone and musicality in its entirety. The defect is cured, although not to perfection but to enhancement, which is the objective of the new remasters. The improvement in "Please Please Me" calls my attention as to how innovative Beatles sound was way back then by the way Lennon would change chords quickly in the said song. Now you'll understand why the ricks and the vox would match, together with a pair of J-160s for acoustic. It made a big part for the Beatles sound in 1962.

With the Beatles: You don't have to listen to the entire CD, just select the track which you think were not recorded well in cd format. I chose "Money,"...and yes, there is enhancement. I was thinking of the lp version in mono..and I am surprised that even if it did not match the lp it was a competitive version of the cd.

I don't have to listen to the Beatles in mono just what Lennon would suggest. The stereo versions are enough. Mono can sometimes be boomy depending on your audio set up. And they are in CD format, just like the "Disraeli Gears" tracks which have mono versions. Though the instruments and vocals sound in one speaker, the mono does not provide the best version of simultaneous recording. That is of course, without overdubs. Stereo can also reproduce the best sound with good separations with respect to instrumentations and vocals. For instance, "'Til There Was You," the acoustic solo of George can be better enjoyed now than when it was first released because of the balance in sound and crisp of his guitar strings. Little by little, the Beatles secret to sound can be unveiled.

Beatles for Sale: By the way, all remasters are packaged in paper sleeve just like the lp/s only that they are in cd format and smaller of course. For the first time, the Gibson J-160s are really at work here...No Reply, I'm A Loser, Eight Days A Week, Baby's In Black, What You're Doing, I'll Follow the Sun...probably this is the birth of the acoustic album apart from the white album or sgt pepper's sessions. This was 1964. Even before, Dylan decided to combine the forces of martin/ gibson acoustic and electric sound. It defined a period that acoustic guitar is part of rock n roll. Of course, Elvis introduced this in his revolutionary "Blue Suede Shoes" and Everly Brothers' "Wake Up Little Susie." But B for Sale is an album and not simply a single. Not to mention also the variety of music taste in this album, from Mr. Moonlight to Holly's Words of Love, from rockabilly Honey Don't to Berr'y Rock n Roll Music, which by the way is also an improvement than the first cd release.

In all cds, Paul's bass has also become prominent just like Ringgo's drumming which were so flat in the previous cd release. Don't expect a "Love" recording here because that is a mix version full of artificial sound. No exagerration of recordings here if you intend to hope for extended cymbals or super low bass, or a tight recording like in other audiophile cds because the Beatles remasters were taken from the original cd themselves. They were just enhanced.

And of course, the 60s recordings are better than ever.

Offline dyugs666

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2009, 01:57:09 AM »
@jugsjugsjugs on Twitter and Instagram

Offline the quite one

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

Beatles for Sale: By the way, all remasters are packaged in paper sleeve just like the lp/s only that they are in cd format and smaller of course. For the first time, the Gibson J-160s are really at work here...No Reply, I'm A Loser, Eight Days A Week, Baby's In Black, What You're Doing, I'll Follow the Sun...probably this is the birth of the acoustic album apart from the white album or sgt pepper's sessions.

In all cds, Paul's bass has also become prominent just like Ringgo's drumming which were so flat in the previous cd release. Don't expect a "Love" recording here because that is a mix version full of artificial sound. No exagerration of recordings here if you intend to hope for extended cymbals or super low bass, or a tight recording like in other audiophile cds because the Beatles remasters were taken from the original cd themselves. They were just enhanced.

there were really songs in the original release that needs to be enhanced eg, help, eight days a week, when i get home, hold me tight per my humble observation.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

I bought the first five albums at the same time. The were in stereo format and cost Php595.00 each. I think the mono versions are not available here. Personally, I thought Please Please Me, With the Beatles and Beatles for Sale were those that were not well transferred to CD format way back in 1987. So, they (the said titles) deserved to be listened first if indeed the enhancement can really be sensed.

Please Please Me:  Although digitally remastered at that time, the 1987 original version lacked the quality of a good recording from an album that was very well recorded and reproduced in the lp format. The music was of course the catch, however, from the standpoint of George Martin himself, the CD format was not satisfactory. Not because he is a Brit and has bias against CD, the LP format is simply beyond compared to the CD counterpart.

Right from the first track,you'll notice that the new remaster series does not aim to sound like the Anthology recordings (which were very digitized). Why? you'll hear the same "I Saw Her Standing There." But this time, Beatles sound is very rich in tone and musicality in its entirety. The defect is cured, although not to perfection but to enhancement, which is the objective of the new remasters. The improvement in "Please Please Me" calls my attention as to how innovative Beatles sound was way back then by the way Lennon would change chords quickly in the said song. Now you'll understand why the ricks and the vox would match, together with a pair of J-160s for acoustic. It made a big part for the Beatles sound in 1962.

With the Beatles: You don't have to listen to the entire CD, just select the track which you think were not recorded well in cd format. I chose "Money,"...and yes, there is enhancement. I was thinking of the lp version in mono..and I am surprised that even if it did not match the lp it was a competitive version of the cd.

I don't have to listen to the Beatles in mono just what Lennon would suggest. The stereo versions are enough. Mono can sometimes be boomy depending on your audio set up. And they are in CD format, just like the "Disraeli Gears" tracks which have mono versions. Though the instruments and vocals sound in one speaker, the mono does not provide the best version of simultaneous recording. That is of course, without overdubs. Stereo can also reproduce the best sound with good separations with respect to instrumentations and vocals. For instance, "'Til There Was You," the acoustic solo of George can be better enjoyed now than when it was first released because of the balance in sound and crisp of his guitar strings. Little by little, the Beatles secret to sound can be unveiled.

Beatles for Sale: By the way, all remasters are packaged in paper sleeve just like the lp/s only that they are in cd format and smaller of course. For the first time, the Gibson J-160s are really at work here...No Reply, I'm A Loser, Eight Days A Week, Baby's In Black, What You're Doing, I'll Follow the Sun...probably this is the birth of the acoustic album apart from the white album or sgt pepper's sessions. This was 1964. Even before, Dylan decided to combine the forces of martin/ gibson acoustic and electric sound. It defined a period that acoustic guitar is part of rock n roll. Of course, Elvis introduced this in his revolutionary "Blue Suede Shoes" and Everly Brothers' "Wake Up Little Susie." But B for Sale is an album and not simply a single. Not to mention also the variety of music taste in this album, from Mr. Moonlight to Holly's Words of Love, from rockabilly Honey Don't to Berr'y Rock n Roll Music, which by the way is also an improvement than the first cd release.

how is it bro, do you personally think it can equal the stereo versions? nasanay na kasi tayo makinig sa stereo :wink:

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
Argh. I want that Whitey Album.

In case you haven't stumbled upon this interesting Lennon artifact turned into short film, I Met The Walrus.

Ows? Di nga?

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »
how is it bro, do you personally think it can equal the stereo versions? nasanay na kasi tayo makinig sa stereo :wink:

If you read the historical and recording notes on Beatles remaster series, it stated there that mono was the prevailing recording technique at the time when some Beatles records were reproduced. Note: not all albums were re-issued in remaster mono versions. They did not also say that the Beatles sounded different or better either in stereo or  mono. Though, Lennon would suggest to listen the Beatles in mono. Likewise, Harrison was, for a time, confused about the stereo sound during the Rubber Soul sessions becuse they were so used to hear themselves in a single channel. The panning of the sound from one speaker to another was very new then. Stereo was developed at the height of over-dubs in music recording. Nowadays, kahit direct to disc ang recording, stereo sound na din ang gamit na technology. Maganda kasi ang separation ng instruments and vocals or other effects na pwede isama sa recording.

Sa mono ba, hindi?

I have some of the Beatles albums in lp mono versions recorded through direct metal master. It is a relatively new disc cutting technique. To compare lp and cd would not be fair. But for purposes of asking a  personal standpoint as to whether or not the mono can equal the stereo, I can say that the former can equal (or even surpass) the latter. In some cases. And some audiophiles will not object to this. In fact, they prefer the (more epensive, kasi mas mahal ngayon ang cartridge ng mono) mono sound especially among 50s/ 60s jazz and rock recordings. I am not really good at this, so I would rather look at this question by saying that both versions are good. It's just that cd enhancement for Beatles albums came in after more than 20 years.

But the Beatles remasters are in cd formats. Stereo or mono carts are not in issue here. Walang mono o stereo sa cd players kundi the re-prodroduction of the music itself ang pinag-uusapan. With the release of the new remasters, lalo lang napalapit ang Beatles sa mga music fans. The re-issues are not patterned to modern recordings as the Beatles sound is very much retained. Hindi 70s, 80s, 90s or 2000s ang sound, kundi 60s. Ganun dapat ang sound ng banda. Ganun dapat ang recording. No matter how good other recordings are, I don't think that they can match the Beatles.'  Kahit gaano kaganda at kamahal ng "Kind of Blue", "Dark Side of the Moon" (original at anniversary ed.) o "Unplugged" ni E. Clapton, sa "Sgt. Pepper's" pa din ako.  The first and last of its kind, recording and otherwise.

In the end, Music talaga ang appeal ng Beatles. Bonus lang kung maganda recording. E kaso, maganda ang recording. Hence, me bonus  :-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:45:24 AM by plasticsoul »

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2009, 06:32:31 PM »
Hereunder is a reproduction of C. de Quiros' write-up on the newly remastered cds of the Beatles

Theres The Rub
Heaven

By Conrado de Quiros
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:22:00 10/08/2009

It lives up to its rave reviews. It’s truly like listening to the thing for the first time.

It’s the remastered Beatles. The blurb says: “The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI’s Abbey Road Studios in London over a four-year period utilising state-of-the-art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.”

Or as another blurb swears, finally the Beatles have gotten the recordings they deserve.

I agree, hands-down enthusiastically. It’s as best as (current) digital technology can take them. Of course the analog is still better. The new versions may maintain the authenticity and integrity of the original analog recordings but they are not the original analog recordings. Vinyl, or plaka, has that distinction. The character Nicolas Cage plays in “The Rock,” who spent good money to buy the vinyl of a Beatles album (I do not now recall which), to the eternal bewilderment of a friend who proposed that the CD was way cheaper, will have no reason to rue his action even with the advent of these beauties.

They are heaven-sent, heaven currently holding address at Abbey Road. But before I get into them, let me tell you how I listened to them.

Over the years, I’ve surrendered to laziness and creeping age and given up on vinyl because of the work it entails. It’s not therapeutic washing the albums preparatory to playing them (they gather static, and I don’t have an automatic cleaner; it’s too damn expensive for what it does) when you’ve got deadlines hanging on your head like the Sword of Damocles. It’s aggravating. What I’ve done instead is to convert CDs to DVD Audio (what can I say—I’ve got a curious mind, and you can learn how through the Internet) to make them sound better.

Suffice it to say here that DVD Audio basically just expands audio files to their uncompressed form. The uncompressed form, however, eats up a lot of space, or bytes, so the ideal receptacle is the DVD. Think of the Audio DVD as the CD jacked up five times, making it sound clearer and more three-dimensional (or giving it a bigger soundstage, as the audiophiles like to say). It also sounds a little more analog.

Armed with this, I’ve converted the old Beatles CDs into DVD-Audio and listened to them—to much consternation. The CDs are horrible, or at the least the first five albums are, and turning them into DVD-Audio merely magnified their flaws. “Please Please Me,” “With the Beatles,” “Beatles For Sale,” “A Hard Day’s Night,” and “Help” sounded like some kid had been let loose in the studio, particularly at the echo volume controls. The guitars sounded like the strings were loose, or set to a lower pitch, vibrating wildly, overlapping with the voices in one messy, pudgy, amalgamated mass. It made the Beatles sound like a garage band.

The remastered series does wonders with those five albums in particular. The first thing you notice, with much surprise and jubilation, is how incredibly tight the new versions are. From the very first lines, “One, two, three four… Well, she was just seventeen,” you know you’re on a different plane. Gone is the warbly wailing, gone is the jumble of human and electronic ululations tripping each other all over the place, and there in all its pristine glory is Paul’s youthful voice accompanied by the solid thumping of guitars. That’s as rock-and-roll as rock-and-roll should be.

The clarity of the separation is a joy to behold, or hear. It gives the music a presence or immediacy that wasn’t there before. It’s not just that the voices seem more thrust to the foreground, it’s that they sound so limpid you feel as though you’re listening to John, Paul and George singing live in front of you. Paul McCartney’s “And I Love Her” and “Yesterday,” soar like that, as do John Lennon’s “Mr. Moonlight” and “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.” I haven’t listened to those five albums in ages, precisely because they haven’t been a pleasure to do so.

I am listening, now.

The transformations (they’re more than makeovers) haven’t just benefited the earlier albums, they’ve done so the later ones as well. Except that the improvements are subtler. They stand out particularly in the pieces with full orchestral backgrounds. I’ve never heard “All You Need Is Love” sound more lush—as in luxuriant, and not as in drunk, though listening to it could get you in the latter state too. But it’s “Sgt. Pepper’s” and “Magical Mystery Tour” in particular that the remastering has been a boon to, those being the albums the “fifth Beatle,” George Martin, had a field day with. “She’s Leaving Home” and “A Day in the Life” are just awesome.

All in all, the sound is purer, bigger, clearer, though it does get a little sharp in some songs, which is the bane of digital. You can actually hear the individual voices in the background chorus, as well indeed as make out the words being sung. And a lot of background musical embroidery that wasn’t there before. It’s a lot better than Martin’s orchestral rearrangement of the songs in the double-album “Love,” which came out a couple of years or so ago.

I could go on and on, but some things are better heard than read. I guarantee, you ain’t heard it like this yet. How to get hold of it?

By George (or John, or Paul, or Ringo), be resourceful.

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
Want a masters degree in Beatles music?  :-D

Study Details/Module Information
Currently four taught modules are offered on this programme.

Texts and Contexts: Understanding Popular Music
This will offer the student an understanding of how Popular Music Studies has expanded and developed to deal with the changing nature of popular music over the past 50 years. This module will also provide students with contextually related research methods.

Topics in History: Liverpool
This module will introduce and discuss musical production and consumption within the post WWII era and will discuss the roles of locality, economics, space and place, and other issues specifically relating to Merseyside.

Musicology and the Beatles
In this module students will take a popular music semiotics approach and will textually analyse a variety of Beatles material.

Historical and Critical Approaches
Students will be invited to study a more ethnographic approach to the Beatles, the various cultural discourses surrounding their music, and the local tourist industry established in Liverpool to capitalise on the group.

The Dissertation module will be introduced to students towards the end of the Topics in History module with a request for student abstracts, the allocation of supervisors, and the agreement of research areas.

The Postgraduate Certificate will be awarded on the successful completion of 60 credits. This will consist of two taught modules.
The Postgraduate Diploma will be awarded on the successful completion of 120 credits. This will mean the completion of all modules apart from the Dissertation.

More: http://www.hope.ac.uk/postgraduate-2009/the-beatles-popular-music-and-society-ma.html

Enroll na!  :lol:
Ows? Di nga?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »
Want a masters degree in Beatles music?  :-D

Study Details/Module Information
Currently four taught modules are offered on this programme.

Texts and Contexts: Understanding Popular Music
This will offer the student an understanding of how Popular Music Studies has expanded and developed to deal with the changing nature of popular music over the past 50 years. This module will also provide students with contextually related research methods.

Topics in History: Liverpool
This module will introduce and discuss musical production and consumption within the post WWII era and will discuss the roles of locality, economics, space and place, and other issues specifically relating to Merseyside.

Musicology and the Beatles
In this module students will take a popular music semiotics approach and will textually analyse a variety of Beatles material.

Historical and Critical Approaches
Students will be invited to study a more ethnographic approach to the Beatles, the various cultural discourses surrounding their music, and the local tourist industry established in Liverpool to capitalise on the group.

The Dissertation module will be introduced to students towards the end of the Topics in History module with a request for student abstracts, the allocation of supervisors, and the agreement of research areas.

The Postgraduate Certificate will be awarded on the successful completion of 60 credits. This will consist of two taught modules.
The Postgraduate Diploma will be awarded on the successful completion of 120 credits. This will mean the completion of all modules apart from the Dissertation.

More: http://www.hope.ac.uk/postgraduate-2009/the-beatles-popular-music-and-society-ma.html

Enroll na!  :lol:

haha gusto ko sana bro. magkano kaya tuition? wow this is heavy.. :|

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2009, 07:14:54 AM »

Awesome concert last night at the Rock Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary
[Posted by Dean Wien on Friday, 10/30/09 6:37 pm] [Comments] [Full Blog] [Tweet This]

Last night, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame celebrated its 25th Anniversary at Madison Square Garden. I attended the show, and certainly witnessed one of the finest concerts ever!

It started at 7:30PM and ended around 1:30AM. The show opened with a video collage of all the inductees. There was some great footage of George Harrison and Paul McCartney. Jerry Lee Lewis opened the show, and then Crosby, Stills and Nash came on with special guests Bonnie Raitt and Apple Records Alumni James Taylor. Jackson Browne then came on. Next on was Paul Simon who did a solo set. He did an incredible tribute to his good friend George Harrison by bringing back Crosby, Stills and Nash back to the stage to perform "Here Comes The Sun" with him. He also performed "The Wanderer" with special guest Dion.

Throughout the night, special past events were mentioned that took place in The Garden, and "The Concert For Bangla Desh" was mentioned as the first Charity Concert. After Paul Simon's set, Simon & Garfunkel played together to an incredible standing ovation. Then Stevie Wonder took the stage with guests Sting, John Legend, B.B. King,Smokey Robinson, and Jeff Beck. After Stevies set, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band took the stage with special guests John Fogerty, Sam Moore, Darlene Love, and Tom Morello. The Special guest was Billy Joel. Bruce called it "The Tunnel and Bridge Summit". The last song of the night where everyone took the stage was You're Love (Higher & Higher).

Tonight will be Part 2 of the concert, with special guests U2, Metallica, Ray Davies of The Kinks and many many more. Stay tuned for a full report!

http://www.beatlesnews.com/blog/the-beatles/200910301837/awesome-concert-last-night-at-the-rock-hall-of-fame-25th-anniversary.html
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:37:01 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline chucky

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »
share ko lang sir
narinig nyo po na sinabi ni george harrison i hate phillipines
bat kaya dapat pa natin si george suportahan tayo tinamaan
pero tingin ko si imelda marcos ang tirahin nya lang maarte ksi yun lang
hey jud.....

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
share ko lang sir
hey jud.....

Me wasn't sure though but i think it was Ringo who said that & vowed he will never return to the philippines. George is my favorite among the four because of his ideas, at magagaling na talaga sila John at Paul right from the start e, si George nag uumpisa talaga, at sa bawat atpes na binibili ko dati, kay George agad ang pinakikinggan ko.

Offline chucky

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
sir po ba meron bealtesmania or beatles club or beatles fanatic? tnx

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
share ko lang sir
hey jud.....

Back in those days, the Beatles were forcibly taken out from their hotel. They were literally kicked out. No more escorts from the time they left the hotel. Their earnings were also taken. One of the Beatles roadie was asked to come out from the plane to see uniformed men. That guy was scared thinking that he would be killed and asked the Beatles to say "I Love You" to his wife in case he didn't come back. Every member of that Beatles tour goup was scared.

I think there is nothing political about the Beatles' claim of the "hate" thing. In fact, they were happy to know that the Marcos regime had (finally) fallen.