hulika

Poll

What is the Achilles heel of local recordings?

Drums
4 (20%)
Guitars
0 (0%)
Vocals
0 (0%)
The mix as a whole
11 (55%)
Mastering
5 (25%)
Arrangement
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: June 17, 2006, 11:51:46 AM

Author Topic: What is the Achilles heel of our recordings?  (Read 16302 times)

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What is the Achilles heel of our recordings?
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
amen - i am suprised that no one has collaborated heavily with people who specialize in indigenous music. i have long wanted to collect and use local pinoy instruments but i imagine shipping a Kulintang and similar instruments to the US would cost me an arm and a leg..lol. i can can dream and hope that it will become a reality one day tho...

Some artists have gone this route already -- among the more famous ones are: Grace Nono and Bob Aves, and Joey Ayala. Anyway, opinions about this are varied, depending mostly on  the point of view. The indigenous people aren't particularly impressed or amused, because those instruments aren't only used for musical purposes. Their use of those instruments are more spiritual. And besides, when those instruments do get used in a more contemporary music situation, most of them are just for rhythmic purposes (probably because the harmonic element of the kulintang isn't very cooperative with the 12 tone scale), and just to add flavor (as opposed to using those instruments as main ingredients to make music).
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
Maybe it's the efforts to sound American that's killing our chances. This  is so different from merely being influenced by American music, which I don't consider to be a bad thing.

We hear it from our own mouths --- "Ang galing niyang tumugtog, parang Kano ang dating!..."

Hi sir Marvin!
I was talking to someone and he said a variation of that phrase...to your wonder boy drummer.

Whatever he meant by it, I would be both glad and bothered...

One more thing... Bob Aves is an anomaly among Filipino musicians... that rare breed!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:50:32 PM by bloodshedd »
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »
Some artists have gone this route already -- among the more famous ones are: Grace Nono and Bob Aves, and Joey Ayala. Anyway, opinions about this are varied, depending mostly on  the point of view. The indigenous people aren't particularly impressed or amused, because those instruments aren't only used for musical purposes. Their use of those instruments are more spiritual. And besides, when those instruments do get used in a more contemporary music situation, most of them are just for rhythmic purposes (probably because the harmonic element of the kulintang isn't very cooperative with the 12 tone scale), and just to add flavor (as opposed to using those instruments as main ingredients to make music).

i can imagine it would be a nightmare trying to make those samples fit into 12 tone scale based song..lol
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2008, 06:32:25 AM »
i can imagine it would be a nightmare trying to make those samples fit into 12 tone scale based song..lol

Yes. And even if you tried matching the fundamental pitches with the 12-tone scale, the harmonics would be another story...

Hi sir Marvin!
I was talking to someone and he said a variation of that phrase...to your wonder boy drummer.

Whatever he meant by it, I would be both glad and bothered...

One more thing... Bob Aves is an anomaly among Filipino musicians... that rare breed!

That's exactly my point. The effort to sound Western is a thing that's being dictated by the target market itself. Even a fellow musician told me in one of our conversations how he didn't like the orchestrations done by musicians of the past, because they were too Pinoy-sounding...

It really is a very big and difficult task to find that Pinoy sound, and it will be met with so much resistance.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline emetek

• Netizen Level
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
wow daming mga master dito na sumasagot.. wow watch na lng ako ... pick up some ideas hehehhe.....  sana meron ditong mag seminar about dat.... libre para masaya heheheh... jk lng.. sana e affordable ang price ....
PAINTING REPRO NI BOBBY BALINGIT 500 PESOS LNG WITH SIGNATURE AT TULA
bobby balingit classical guitar CD.. title"GRASA" get the copy now or txt #09159473506 .. ma mi mis nyo kalahati ng buhay nyo

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
for me, isang cause yung "pwede na" mentality. siguro dahil sa pagmamadali, or sa dami ng gagawin... tendency is stick na lang tayo sa satisfactory level ng mixing.

compared sa napakaraming "perfectionists" abroad, kailangan na rin nating itaas ang level ng "OC-ness"...

(just my 2c, mga sir! :) )

Offline banonie

• Netizen Level
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2010, 04:13:04 AM »
What is the Achilles heel of our recordings? record label  :-D

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »
hi guys. makikisawsaw lang. i am an aspiring musician who has proven nothing and has not recorded anything of radioplay worth but i have lofty dreams.
para akong nag martin luther king speech nito. i had a dream!!! hehe

pero seriously pangarap ko talaga na iangat ang pinoy music tapos kung mangyari yun gusto ko kasama pangalan ko sa wikipedia page ng PINOY ROCK.
i want to be one of the innovators of pinoy rock music. much like how the beatles influenced modern popular music, how robert johnson influenced blues or how metallica and slayer influenced trash metal.

gusto ko makabuo ng sound na kapag marinig ng foreigner ay sasabihin nila: "now thats awesome filipino shet right there". mapapamura sila.
pero how do i do that? how do i use guitar-driven rock and innovate it a step further?

eto yung idea ko: makikinig ako sa sepultura, radiohead, joey ayala, bush, creed, beatles, juan de la cruz, tapos kay sir joey ayala. bakit sepultura? kasi brazilian band sila na napaka influential sa metal scene. yung si thom yorke, many singers have copied his vocal technique. i will listen to bush and creed kasi may "natural distortion" ang boses ko. i have a husky singing voice. or maybe not husky = sintonado. bakit ako makikinig sa beatles? kasi everything that has come forth since the 1970s is a derivative of beatles sound. makikinig ako sa juan de la cruz tapos, freddie aguilar at kay joey ayala kasi they epitomize the pinoy sound for me. pero i will take everything a step or two further.

and also, i will compose my songs in tagalog. hindi ko alam kung bakit mas mahirap mag compose ng tagalog. mas madali akong gumawa ng kanta in english pero iniiwasan ko yun kasi nga gusto ko ng tagalog. tapos gagawa din ako ng mga kantang bicolano kasi i was born and raised in bicol. nung mga unang taon ko dito sa manila, mapapansin mo yung first language influence kapag nagsasalita ako ng tagalog. sabi nga nila may tono daw ako pag nagtatagalog.

dagdag ko lang na gusto ko ilagay ang influence ng yano sa mga kanta ko. idol ko si dong abay eh. galing niya.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:19:16 AM by trxter41 »

Offline skyturn

« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2010, 03:08:32 AM »
hi guys. makikisawsaw lang. i am an aspiring musician who has proven nothing and has not recorded anything of radioplay worth but i have lofty dreams.
para akong nag martin luther king speech nito. i had a dream!!! hehe

pero seriously pangarap ko talaga na iangat ang pinoy music tapos kung mangyari yun gusto ko kasama pangalan ko sa wikipedia page ng PINOY ROCK.
i want to be one of the innovators of pinoy rock music. much like how the beatles influenced modern popular music, how robert johnson influenced blues or how metallica and slayer influenced trash metal.

gusto ko makabuo ng sound na kapag marinig ng foreigner ay sasabihin nila: "now thats awesome filipino shet right there". mapapamura sila.
pero how do i do that? how do i use guitar-driven rock and innovate it a step further?

eto yung idea ko: makikinig ako sa sepultura, radiohead, joey ayala, bush, creed, beatles, juan de la cruz, tapos kay sir joey ayala. bakit sepultura? kasi brazilian band sila na napaka influential sa metal scene. yung si thom yorke, many singers have copied his vocal technique. i will listen to bush and creed kasi may "natural distortion" ang boses ko. i have a husky singing voice. or maybe not husky = sintonado. bakit ako makikinig sa beatles? kasi everything that has come forth since the 1970s is a derivative of beatles sound. makikinig ako sa juan de la cruz tapos, freddie aguilar at kay joey ayala kasi they epitomize the pinoy sound for me. pero i will take everything a step or two further.

and also, i will compose my songs in tagalog. hindi ko alam kung bakit mas mahirap mag compose ng tagalog. mas madali akong gumawa ng kanta in english pero iniiwasan ko yun kasi nga gusto ko ng tagalog. tapos gagawa din ako ng mga kantang bicolano kasi i was born and raised in bicol. nung mga unang taon ko dito sa manila, mapapansin mo yung first language influence kapag nagsasalita ako ng tagalog. sabi nga nila may tono daw ako pag nagtatagalog.

dagdag ko lang na gusto ko ilagay ang influence ng yano sa mga kanta ko. idol ko si dong abay eh. galing niya.

on your premise bakit mahirap mag compose ng tagalog(or shall i say filipino, in whatever dialect for that matter)

simple lang, our educational system and society as a whole is english driven. 
mga menu in english, newspaper and magazines, road signs, hand book, our constitution for that matter, our ads.  so although we speak filipino everyday, its more of the slang and colloquial version of it.
but at the end of the day, is it about the medium of delivery?  it could be, but not always.  what makes filipino is the content.  i don know a lot of american citizens learning the filipino language, and they might be more adept in creatively writing in it because of technical ability and skills learned.  but it won't make their work filipino in the truest sense.  just my 2 cents.
I