hulika

Author Topic: setting-up a network (update)  (Read 2712 times)

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
setting-up a network (update)
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:47:18 PM »
im setting up a small network here at home. maybe you guys have suggestions/tips for decent routers/servers etc. heres what is to be considered:

-share internet access between 2 desktops only (smart is our current provider but im considering of switching to cable sometime soon)
-have printer access for both computers without turning the other one on just to print
-the cables i need to use for the set-up
-i dont have a big budget too. thats why i said decent routers/servers (and if i had a big budget, i would have just asked someone to do it for me hehehe)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:10:51 PM by akosimic »

Offline powerchord41

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: setting-up a network
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
buy a modem router or a router lang dlink or linksys will do... you can pretty much set up everything there by using the router... you need lan cables with rj45 connectors... and you need lots of common sense to set up your network... usually lahat ng kelangan mo malaman will be in the manual of the router that you'll be getting.
ayos!

Offline incubus_boy08

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
im setting up a small network here at home. maybe you guys have suggestions/tips for decent routers/servers etc. heres what is to be considered:

-share internet access between 2 desktops only (smart is our current provider but im considering of switching to cable sometime soon)
-have printer access for both computers without turning the other one on just to print
-the cables i need to use for the set-up
-i dont have a big budget too. thats why i said decent routers/servers (and if i had a big budget, i would have just asked someone to do it for me hehehe)

Here's what you need:
A router w/ printserver (i recommend D-Link or Linksys)
RJ-45 connectors
CAT-5e Ethernet cable
USB Printer para pwede mo ikabit sa router mo
syempre crimping tool

Hope that helps!!!

Offline powerchord41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »
if you don't know how to crimp pala... when you buy cables and connectors usually pede na nila crimp for you yung cables for free... just measure the lenght ng paglalagyan mo syempre before you buy...
ayos!

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:47:54 AM »
salamat sa replies. hmm im currently looking into the d-link di-704p. olats lang yung printer port niya since its parallel. it can be a hassle at some point to use converters.

any other suggestions? :-)

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
bumping the thread for an update:

i purchased the dlink di-704p. as of now, internet has been distributed among our 2 PCs.

now heres the problem: we cannot share files over the network! how do i troubleshoot this properly?

here's what i have done so far for trouble shooting:
-we've reinstalled the drivers of our PCs, and still no network.
-yes i have read the product manual inside out and i didnt find anything there
-went to the dlink site and i tried searching already

Offline bass monster

• Forum Fanatic
Re: setting-up a network (update)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:39:01 AM »
there's a link in the Dlink site for file and printer sharing and/or IP assignements under General Networking...
http://support.dlink.com/supportfaq/

try enabling File and Printer Sharing First on both PCs...
if that doesn't work... you can always go for setting static IP's on both PCs...

if the
router_IP = 10.100.10.236 [or depends on what IP you've assigned the router]
PC1_IP = 10.100.10.25
PC2_IP = 10.100.10.26

just copy the subnet masks and the router's IP as the default gateway as well as the DNS's [only two will be needed]

happy tweaking!  :-D
☠☠☠☠☠☠

Offline spife

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:55 PM »
Ayos na thread to ah.. Hm, posible bang magnetwork ng 2 pcs using isang cable lang tapos icoconnect mo yung dalawang lan port nila?  :mrgreen:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
Ayos na thread to ah.. Hm, posible bang magnetwork ng 2 pcs using isang cable lang tapos icoconnect mo yung dalawang lan port nila?  :mrgreen:

Yup, pero you need a specific cable called a crossover. It's wired differently from standard lan cables. Easier to use a hub, though more expensive than a simple crossover.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline V.I.O.L.I.N.S

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 06:55:51 PM »
posible po. gamit lang po kayo ng crossover cable. :)

ask ko lang po... bakit po dalawa pang routers? pwede naman po subnet na lang. magkahiwalay na building po ba??
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:57:00 PM by V.I.O.L.I.N.S »

Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine
RE5(Mercenaries) Player

Offline never_1007

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:16:40 AM »
wow. dame ko natutunan sa inyo mga master..  :mrgreen:
i asked her before if she likes me and she answered "yes,as a friend."