hulika

Author Topic: Which is better?? Cheap guitar & expensive amp or expensive guitar & cheap amp?  (Read 15354 times)

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
My take in this topic is getting a good tone from a cheap guitar/expensive amp & expensive guitar/cheap amp can be very subjective. But I have been a convert of having a cheap guitar and expensive amp rather than an expensive guitar and cheap amp. I started out late 90's/early 2000's having a good not too expensive guitar and a very cheap amp. Early on I thought it was a good sound. After years of gigging/playing bars and playing in church I later found out things differently especially when your on a budget. Having an expensive amp and a cheap guitar can make a good rig for outdoors and indoors. Have tried my PRS SE custom in a cheap amp and it doesn't sound good at bedroom levels or even at band practice. But when I tried my SX tele through a Vox AC15C1 and a Vox AC30C2 a while back. It sounded really really good and received nice comments about the sound from peers and band mates as well.

I also saw that video with Rob Chapman and he too preferred an expensive amp and a cheap guitar for a reason when in budget because in experience it can have a better sound than an expensive guitar and cheap guitar. However Lee's sound sounds good too despite the cheap amp. It all depends on the person really its just the matter if you can buy it or not. But if you have lots and lots of cash I guess choosing an expensive guitar and amp wouldn't be a problem.  :-D 
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Given that expensive=good:
Tone-wise, expensive amp.
Playing-wise, expensive guitar.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html