hulika

Author Topic: Who's a fan of Hall and Oates here?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Who's a fan of Hall and Oates here?
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
any other Hall and Oates fans here? they're one of my favorite 80s pop artists and their recordings are true works of art. the guitarist ( SNL mainstay G.E. Smith) played some mean riffs in the studio albums as well :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Re: Who's a fan of Hall and Oates here?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:27:08 AM »
Am one. They really have style. Just like Steely Dan, from the opening riff, you'll know they're H2O. The only problem I see with H2O, is that with their tremendously catchy choruses, mauumay ka when you listen to them again and again.

BTW, have you seen their Live By Request DVD? Hall looks drugged but he really did an extremely engaging performance in Me and Mrs. Jones! For me, this is the epitome of a stage performance!!!
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »
deliciously ghey :-D

love them! my favorite song of theirs is "i cant go for that"
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:05:56 AM »
Hey poundcake!  :-)

Feels strange seeing this in Pinoy Pop, but then again ... it IS a pop group ..

Not exactly a big fan, but since I grew up on their music, I do have a few favorites, such as 'One on One,' 'Kiss on My List,' 'Out of Touch' and one of my fave videoke hits, 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' ..  :-)

Great arrangements, tight grooves. These were one of the bands who figured prominently in the birth of music video era. Damn! Makes us feel ancient ..  :-D

I must admit I never really gave much thought to G.E. Smith's guitar-playing then, but I do love his solo on 'Kiss on My List' - that overdriven tone with just a hint of chorus. Geez, so 80s! ...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:07:08 AM by Deacon Blues »
"No static at all ..."

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 02:15:50 AM »
Another reason why I became fond of their music then was because a good friend of mine at that time, Pido L, was just getting recruited to join the F.M. Band - which was the precursor of Side A.

At that time, Noel Mendez had just left the group, and Pido was so excited about joining them as their guitarist. Then, it was the Gonzales brothers calling the shots; with Rodel on vocals and Naldy on keyboards.

Grabe! Those guys had their Hall and Oates pieces nailed down! Plakado talaga! I remember Naldy also did a mean impression of Michael McDonald.

The few times that I'd come over to watch, their rehearsals at the Gonzales' residence in Sta. Ana, I'd relish their Hall and Oates and Doobie Brothers covers.

Well, of course, we all know how they soon became pop superstars much later ...  :-)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:18:58 AM by Deacon Blues »
"No static at all ..."

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:00:15 AM »

Not exactly a big fan, but since I grew up on their music, I do have a few favorites, such as 'One on One,' 'Kiss on My List,' 'Out of Touch' and one of my fave videoke hits, 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' ..  :-)

Great arrangements, tight grooves. These were one of the bands who figured prominently in the birth of music video era. Damn! Makes us feel ancient ..  :-D

I must admit I never really gave much thought to G.E. Smith's guitar-playing then, but I do love his solo on 'Kiss on My List' - that overdriven tone with just a hint of chorus. Geez, so 80s! ...

you got that one right! makes us feel old hehe.. i've been a silent fan of those 70s to 80s-vibe pop/rock artists (especially Peter Cetera and Chicago, Toto, Rick Astley, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, Duran Duran, etc.) because the way they arrange their songs is topnotch. just like what virtuoso drummer Vinnie Colaiuta said, it's one thing to see a song chart that's supposed to be played in 4/4 with lyrics with chords all over it, but actually giving character to the songs through good arrangement is a whole new ballgame.

great story, Deacon! those Side A guys are really something. i remember watching them play in Malate around 10 or so years ago (Kelly Badon era) and they went to the gig with no setlist, so what they did was they asked the audience what the people wanted them to play. after compiling the lists, they talked about it for a minute and played for at least 90 minutes.. no practice!  talk about having confidence in their repertoire!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »
Here, here!  :-D Galeng nila. Ano kaya gawing jazz yung musci nila, 'no? E-hehehehe!  :-D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »
Yo Deacon,

Didn't know you were rubbing elbows with people in the music industry early on...

I used to watch Side A at Calesa during the time of Naldy, Rodel, Pido, Mar, Kelly, and Joey. A supergroup in terms of talent. Too bad they went their separate ways...
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 08:31:09 PM »
Hi Boddhisattva!

Well, let's just put it this way ..

At that time, they were not yet the "people in the music industry" that we know them as these days .. :-D

Although even at that time, that group (FM) was really bursting with talent, and they knew a lot of really good musicians. Even their drummer at the time was an ex-Boy Katindig sideman, if I remember right. The bassist was Cocoy Eugenio, who is one really, really amazing rock guitarist. Then came Joseph, the percussionist, who decades later formed his own group, Sabor Latino.

At that time too, it was a great thing to see Pido literally rise from obscurity to become one of the most sought-after players. He was Noel Mendez's 'kabababayan,' by the way, and Noel saw the potential in Pido already. To think that prior to that, all we did was just jam with acoustic guitars during our spare time. But man, even then, he was such a talented player. Great ear, sipag cumifra (he would cop Carlton, Robben Ford and Benson solos), and had really tasty licks.

And more than that, despite his subsequent 'fame,' he never forgot his roots and old friends and would constantly keep in touch by inviting us to watch their gigs. That's how I got to meet Robin Aristorenas.

Sorry poundcake, if this seems a bit off-topic ..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:33:19 PM by Deacon Blues »
"No static at all ..."

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
no problem! your stories are pretty interesting anyway :) keep 'em coming!

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »

+1.

We rarely play Hall & Oates songs in Overdrive.  Maybe it has something to do with Anton's preference for British artists or Louie's discomfort over H2O's sexual preferences (joke) :-D :-D But we were able to include the acoustic version of Say It Isn't So and a cover of Kiss On My List (yun nga lang when segued over Hurt So Good, parang showband ang dating namin. :wink:

Kiss On My List is a personal favorite.  Loved the vocal harmonies at the chorus.  And I literally begged Anton P. that I'd do the guitar solo on that one.   

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
hehe Kiss On My List.. it's one of the most LSS (last song syndrome) inducing songs for me. when i first heard that song, i kept on singing the chorus all day. just like Fra Lippo Lippi songs, LSS-inducing as well :)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »
sarah's smile pare :-D
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »
sarah's smile pare :-D

mismo yung Sara Smile.. to think na one of their first singles pa yun :)

dref40cc

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »
"wait for me  lalalala "   :mrgreen:

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 02:10:56 AM »
no one has even mentioned their classic hit "She's gone"...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline stilljey

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 05:02:42 AM »
me bro. i have DVD concert of Daryll hall and John Oates in John Hay College in NY USA, March 24, 2003, complete info yan bro....he-he-he.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »
John Jay college yun bro..
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 12:36:09 AM »
oo nga pala ..fan? HERE.. don't forget MANEATER...dum dum dum dum dum dudum.. hehehe 8-).. who would forget that bass lines?
Music is art in sound...

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
Mismo, Baldo.

It's also a good example of how much rhey have been influence by R&B.

The bass line and the drum pattern ... very Motown di ba?  Parang Can't Hurry Love ni Diana Ross, among others.

Offline bhenard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 06:46:09 AM »
Another reason why I became fond of their music then was because a good friend of mine at that time, Pido L, was just getting recruited to join the F.M. Band - which was the precursor of Side A.

At that time, Noel Mendez had just left the group, and Pido was so excited about joining them as their guitarist. Then, it was the Gonzales brothers calling the shots; with Rodel on vocals and Naldy on keyboards.

Grabe! Those guys had their Hall and Oates pieces nailed down! Plakado talaga! I remember Naldy also did a mean impression of Michael McDonald.

The few times that I'd come over to watch, their rehearsals at the Gonzales' residence in Sta. Ana, I'd relish their Hall and Oates and Doobie Brothers covers.

Well, of course, we all know how they soon became pop superstars much later ...  :-)

I agree to that sir.....once ko na silang napanood na  kumanta ng Hall and oates
Side A,mismo nga lalo na yung Maneater

Roland,...Korg,...or Yamaha?
Need Digital Pianos/Organs/Keyboards?..0949-8708-620
Yamaha S90es,Kawai KS1 acoustic piano. Yamaha Baby grand.Roland FA06 Synth. Yamaha CVP-307 digital piano.Yamaha KA20 kbord amp.Roland HD-1 v-drums lite

Offline uno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »
count me in, great artists...good music 8-)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
I love Daryll Hall and John Oates.... Batman and Robin of soul music.
I remember waaaay back in the 80s they were the only group that can perform and bring the house down in a popular theatre in Brooklyn, New York. You see black people listening to their music....lemme remind you again ...this was in the early 80s before the bagets and the police became mainstream. Daryll Hall has that pure soul in his voice.

...super fan si ako.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info