hulika

Author Topic: "No good sounding Ibanez guitar" talk (offshoot of "..Good old, Cheaper Set-up")  (Read 50109 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
im tempted to go multieffects nga ulit eh :)

Pitongjerome,

Hindi mo pa pinapalitan ang request ko sa additions sa footer mo.  Please change.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:09:58 PM by Poundcake »

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Reverting to the Good old, Cheaper Set-up
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
Pitongjerome,

Hindi mo pa pinapalitan ang request ko sa additions sa footer mo.  Please change.  Thanks.

Hi, tried it pero hindi na aabot sa max charachers eh. For the record, here is the full sentence. Mas gusto ko lang ilagay tong suhr, kasi almost all of them are more than 150k more or less pero mas marami paring bad sounding than good ones.

I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones but I also feel that there are more bad sounding Ibanez guitars than good sounding Ibanez guitars. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:29:26 AM by pitongjerome »
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
Hi, tried it pero hindi na aabot sa max charachers eh. For the record, here is the full sentence. Mas gusto ko lang ilagay tong suhr, kasi almost all of them are more than 150k more or less pero mas marami paring bad sounding than good ones.

Slight correction --- there are NO good sounding Ibanez guitars.  Thanks.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

I think, to my ears, I'd have to agree with this. It's usable for metal, but that's just about it.

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
I think, to my ears, I'd have to agree with this. It's usable for metal, but that's just about it.

Impossible. Makakachamba pa rin Ibanez. :)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

Siguro sir, I mean, di naman tayo makakapagsalita ng tapos. Hehehe.  :-D That's why I put in a disclaimer na 'to my ears' lang. Anyway, I'm a more traditional guy when it comes to guitars, that's why I may have said that. I mean, if I wanted an HB sound, I'd go for a Les Paul/SG rather than pick up an H-H equipped Ibanez. If I wanted a single coil sound, there's always the Strat (which I love) rather than settle for a coil-split Ibanez guitar. And as for Ibanez's archtops, I doubt it if they can go head to head with the Gibsons in this department.

Sorry kung OT na. LOL.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

I wish it were different... Sigh.  I have tried so many of them the past 20 or so years.  If there was one thing I wanted was an EXCEPTIONAL Ibanez with character.  Pero wala talaga.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »

OT na dito yan, maybe sa ibanez users thread dapat ito :-D

I wish it were different... Sigh.  I have tried so many of them the past 20 or so years.  If there was one thing I wanted was an EXCEPTIONAL Ibanez with character.  Pero wala talaga.

Meron yan, yung na test mo is just a speck of dust ng buong production nila. anyway im not an ibby fan because of their thin necks pero im sure meron at meron yang exceptional sounding guitar.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
A bit OT

Ibanez RG's/Superstrat in general sounds flat for me. I have tried several J.Customs and they are a bit better compared to the Prestige/Older RG's. However one J.Custom that I found exceptional is the guitar of Chad Robles (Eternal Now). To date, that is probably the best sounding Ibanez guitar that I have tried.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:15:56 PM by Ryn »

Offline IncX

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
in the tradition of OT ... this time i agree with FM55  with ibanez guitars. i have not tried a lot of them, but i have heard quite a few and they are only OK if you drown them with Nile level gain.

they are quite easy to play though...

i dont know whats a good reason to ditch a higher end guitar to play an ibanez... i guess the shape and playability?

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
I've never really had a strong urge to buy one especially after how they've embraced mass production of late. I also hate playing the if it's good enough for Vai, it's good enough for me card. But I refuse to believe that there aren't enough redeeming qualities on ANY Ibanez guitar out there. Most of my favorite guitar albums were recorded by people who favor the brand.

One day, I'll get an 1990's RG and see for myself how versatile I can get it to be. Hahaha.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:42:57 AM »
I've never really had a strong urge to buy one especially after how they've embraced mass production of late. I also hate playing the if it's good enough for Vai, it's good enough for me card. But I refuse to believe that there aren't enough redeeming qualities on ANY Ibanez guitar out there. Most of my favorite guitar albums were recorded by people who favor the brand.

One day, I'll get an 1990's RG and see for myself how versatile I can get it to be. Hahaha.

I do believe that EVO maybe a special guitar. And to this day, Ibanez has NOT duplicated it.  But.... Ibanez pays him.  Performance and Charvel did not pay him enough I guess.

The white Ibanez JEM 77VWH Made in Japan I had was the worst sounding electric guitar I ever owned.  I find Ibanez guitars attractive in shape and form but I find Jackson USA and Custom Shops Sexier. 

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 01:04:39 AM »
I do believe that EVO maybe a special guitar. And to this day, Ibanez has NOT duplicated it.  But.... Ibanez pays him.  Performance and Charvel did not pay him enough I guess.

The white Ibanez JEM 77VWH Made in Japan I had was the worst sounding electric guitar I ever owned.  I find Ibanez guitars attractive in shape and form but I find Jackson USA and Custom Shops Sexier.

OT na ito. Tried an Ibby LACS already? Premium woods and hand made, US custom Shop Ibanez guitars. MEron din mas mataas na ngayon sa J.Custom na handmade sa ibang part ng Japan (Sugi Custom Shop) na Ibanez. They make the limited edition Meshuggah signature and the coming new Universe.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:07:01 AM by Bolt Thrower »

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
I'll just want to share my meet and greet experience with Steve Vai and Joe Satriani last year. 

There were about twenty or thirty people in the group, almost everyone brought a guitar for Steve and Joe to sign. I was at the end of the line and have counted a JS, 3 Jems in the entire group and me holding my Universe. I noticed that whenever Steve Vai signs a Jem (while Satch is engaged in chatting with a participant), he would hold the guitar via the monkey grip, tap the headstock, then taps the body, then plucks the high b string. He did the same thing with my Universe. I was going to ask Steve about it but was not able to because Satch was really delighted to see the deluxe Chickenfoot III CD I brought for him to sign.

I think Vai is testing the consistency of the Jem builds. That's my guess (or maybe he always do it unconsciously). He has said it many times that his number one guitar "Evo", the body and neck resonates in unison. Unfortunately, I can't say that my Universe has the same unison tone. The good thing is, the Universe I have is not as bad as the two 7 string Prestige guitars I've owned previously. I've changed the pickups, used brass blocks and installed tremol-no units in these prestige guitars but they always lack character (sold them in the end).

Ibanez is not a bad guitar to play but it's extremely hard to get an exceptional sounding guitar out of the bunch.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 09:29:20 PM »

I've watched Vai live in four separate occasions and to me his tone is "thin" compared to Dweezil's, Lukather's or Satriani's setup. I'm pretty sure it's not the venue or the PA (I always try to get the front row seats). Maybe it's the Carvin Legacy or his pedal board (or maybe I'm tone deaf).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:31:37 PM by randymarsh »
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 12:23:56 AM »

Sorry but there is no white jem77v.. :wave:
I guess i'd sell all of my guitars now. :lol:
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline gradual nothing

• Veteran Member
ibanez rocks on playability and in metal genres, but if youre really looking for tone i think, well maybe like some other guys would say here.. there might be out there somewhere, i mean if they are really bad sounding ones why would petrucci, kotzen, howe, gambale.. used it before right? i just dont know the ones made today though.. as for hollow bodies you can try asking metheny, benson & scofield..hahah
the avatar of the avante guarde

"you make the sound with your hands and you can fine-tune it with your gear"  --  ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Offline geda

Pangit din pala tone ni Paul Gilbert....  :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
ibanez rocks on playability and in metal genres, but if youre really looking for tone i think, well maybe like some other guys would say here.. there might be out there somewhere, i mean if they are really bad sounding ones why would petrucci, kotzen, howe, gambale.. used it before right? i just dont know the ones made today though.. as for hollow bodies you can try asking metheny, benson & scofield..hahah

They are paid to play them... By the way, Petrucci is now on Music Man.  Kotzen is now on Fender.  Howe is now on Laguna Guitars I think.  Gambale is now with Yamaha.  Metheny,Benson & Scofield vs... the rest on Gibson (now thats a lot).  Hahah Hahah.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 05:39:05 AM »
Sorry but there is no white jem77v.. :wave:
I guess i'd sell all of my guitars now. :lol:

My typo error... It was a white Jem7VWH.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pangit din pala tone ni Paul Gilbert....  :-D

Yup.... His distortion is kind of harsh.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
That being said...  I did NOT start this thread.  Someone hacked into my ID.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
The general sentiment is enlightening. ...so even from the Ibanez AS series, wala rin good sounding guitar? ... am seriously curious.

Offline lennon12

• Philmusicus Addictus

so.. this Ibby doesn't  sound good?  :-o
an eye for an eye

will make us all blind

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Just couldn't get a raw tone from Ibanez.... well comparing it to a Fender strat.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.