hulika

Author Topic: Looks versus Tone  (Read 55692 times)

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Looks versus Tone
« Reply #400 on: June 11, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »
IMO, one look and a guitarist knows if he's interested with a certain "kind" of guitar.

And also, if the tone is the best but you don't like the feel, what's the use. Example of "feel" factor: guitar with super flat radius fretboard, good for some, but I don't like that.

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #401 on: June 12, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
uy page 17 na
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline IncX

« Reply #402 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »

palagay ko eto yun

head-do bang-o! ey ey yoooo...

(i am imagining that candy metal girl band putting on this guitar)

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #403 on: June 14, 2014, 03:42:01 AM »
never like the look but it has a great tone
- Gibson LP Traditional Pro 2

never like the tone but it has great look
- PRS SE C24

dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline Makimono

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #404 on: June 14, 2014, 08:14:22 AM »
For me my past experiences, I think it's best approach the argument look and tone with this: wood is an organic material; meaning there's a lot of inconsistencies! Yeah there's super uber awesome guitars in the boutique price range. However, you can still find undervalued treasures. Lots of people who own lawsuit era guitars can rave good things about the build and sound quality with a good deal in mind. I'm sure owners of boutique and badass guitars still get kicks out of buying random guitars from PC park! I sure did! Sometimes you win big, some times the ball just doesn't drop haha.

And oh that heart guitar is so girly  :)

Looking at the esp guitars japan site, I found its masculine opposite...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:21:17 AM by Makimono »

Offline iyzburg

« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
teka, i can moderate? hahaha!

you know what? if you don't know what hiyaw is, don't try to make assumptions or try to define it. hear it for yourself. i do believe na it's very difficult to explain yet when you hear it, it becomes very simple.

the arguments start with the misunderstanding of what hiyaw is. a lot of individuals here have their own definition and understanding of what hiyaw is, yet most of them haven't heard it. some think it's in the player, some think it can be drawn out with the proper skill. some say it's in the gear, some say it can be acquired by upgrading the gear. that's when it becomes difficult, arguing at different planes.

so here are my suggestions:

1. if you don't know what hiyaw is and you're interested to find out, you owe it to yourself to hear it. just visit alex, arie or iņigo and let them do a proper hiyaw demo for you.

2. if you don't know hiyaw but you're not interested to find out, then don't. but don't make any assumptions as to what it is (note bloom, sustain, etc.) ignorance is bliss.

simple lang naman eh, let's not try to complicate things. at the end of the day, they're just guitars, hehe.

For us who are very far from those guys who can demonstrate hiyaw, are there any possible ways to introduce it to our ears? Say for example, is there a song where the guitar sound exudes hiyaw? And if compared to another song that has no hiyaw (which probably uses a same guitar model), the difference is audible?
Deut 11:13 ...love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul...

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »
So ending binili ba ni TS yung guitar na may hiyaw?

If not, let me guess why

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Because of the LOOKS?

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #407 on: June 19, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »

If not, let me guess why

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Because of the LOOKS?

if that's the case, it only means na malaking factor din ang looks kay TS

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #408 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
if that's the case, it only means na malaking factor din ang looks kay TS
If talagang 5% yun dapat una pa lang binili na niya.
Bumalik siya after 3-4 months.... nandun pa din dapat binili na niya!

Ending ...... looks>hiyaw

Thanks TS for sharing your experience.

Ako din looks..... Bonus na lang yung tone (not hiyaw, i cant use such word because im sure di ko alam what hiyaw sounds like)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #409 on: June 19, 2014, 06:26:48 PM »

If not, let me guess why

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Because of the LOOKS?

Nope... I had to refill my funds.  I just spent on a Komet Aero 33 and a BC Rich USA Handmade Mockingbird and those took priority because the Komet was the latest product offering and the BC Rich USA was given at SALE price.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #410 on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »
If talagang 5% yun dapat una pa lang binili na niya.
Bumalik siya after 3-4 months.... nandun pa din dapat binili na niya!

Ending ...... looks>hiyaw

Thanks TS for sharing your experience.

Ako din looks..... Bonus na lang yung tone (not hiyaw, i cant use such word because im sure di ko alam what hiyaw sounds like)

May mga ibang Top 5% akong binibili rin.  Actually, by the very fact na hindi mo nasubukan o na determine proves to me that leaving a Top 5% without guidance shows the inability to determine a guitar with hiyaw.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #411 on: June 19, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
For us who are very far from those guys who can demonstrate hiyaw, are there any possible ways to introduce it to our ears? Say for example, is there a song where the guitar sound exudes hiyaw? And if compared to another song that has no hiyaw (which probably uses a same guitar model), the difference is audible?

Its audible in person.  Really don't know if recordings can capture hiyaw.  Ask skunky...

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #412 on: June 19, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »
Nope... I had to refill my funds.  I just spent on a Komet Aero 33 and a BC Rich USA Handmade Mockingbird and those took priority because the Komet was the latest product offering and the BC Rich USA was given at SALE price.

So you really have plans of purchasing that guitar? Seriously? Aabangan namin yan.

If not, then no need for excuses

I bet the bc rich LOOKS great!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #413 on: June 19, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »
So you really have plans of purchasing that guitar? Seriously? Aabangan namin yan.

If not, then no need for excuses

I bet the bc rich LOOKS great!

Nope it does not look great.  In fact, I wanted another BC Rich model but according to the The Music Zoo guys, this had mojo.  And we know how rare things with mojo are.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #414 on: June 20, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
Hiyaw simply put is...

MOJO baby!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline opencoke

« Reply #415 on: June 20, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
At last. Nabigkas din kung ano ba talaga ang hiyaw.
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #416 on: June 20, 2014, 03:36:11 PM »
uy SHAKEY's!  :-D

Offline SRJ

« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:09 AM »
i have a friend in church who had a similar experience.

bata pa yun eh, plays in the church band. mahusay for his age, so given na na he can play. one day nakita ko status nya sa facebook, new guitar daw. tapos shempre may comments, ano nabili mo bro? sabi nya ibanez AS73. sa isip ko, oh nooo! bakit ka bumili ng ibanez AS73?? naisip ko agad baka na-excite sha bumili ng bagong gitara tapos yun ang nabili nya according to budget, etc. parang nasayangan ako, hehe. i wished sana nag-consult muna sha sakin before he went out to buy the ibanez.

then, nag-special event dito sa church, kaming dalawa gitarista. so dala nya yung AS73 nya. surprisingly, maganda tone nung AS73 na nakuha nya. it was in a dirty vintage sunburst finish (di ko mashadong type yung itsura) pero maganda tone. i've tried other AS73's na tunog single coil kahit humbucker yung pickups sa nipis ng tunog, hehe. pero eto it was full sounding, hindi muddy, hindi overly bright, saktong-sakto. so ininterview ko sha about his guitar quest, hehe. turns out, he's been branch hopping sa mga audiophile stores. dami daw nya sinubukan, in the end, dun sha sa particular stock na yun nauwi. i asked if yun ba talaga ang preferred finish nya, sabi nya hindi daw, pero andun yung tunog eh. so that's that, hehe.

what's the point?

hindi naman porke maganda ang tone tapos panget itsura eh automatic na bibilhin mo na agad, hehe. shempre kung korteng armalite yung gitara, tapos sa church ka tumutugtog, hindi mo pa rin bibilhin yun kahit nasa elite 5% of tone sha, hehe. yung idea ko with that is meron ka nang guitar in mind, like strat, tele, LP or whatever. then you forego your color preference, or make preference (MIJ, MIA, MIM, MIC, MIR) dahil mas priority mo yung tone.

tama naman din yun sinabi ng iba na kaya hindi nate-testing, kasi hindi naman yun yung hinahanap na itsura, hehe. pero what if yung particular guitar na yun eh all-mahogany, worn finish na LP studio with P90s, eh yung madalas hinahanap na LP eh yung bursts, or goldtop (para daw sa mga tunay na lalake, hehe) natural na hindi talaga mapapansin yung napaka-dull na itsurang LP. mas papansinin yung mga "magaganda" sa paningin. i believe yun ang point ni TS.

Luis Haha

Offline spirit_walker

« Reply #419 on: November 10, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »
for me, looks is personal preference,
if you are playing live na may audience, siguro kailangan talaga yun looks,
 tone, depends on what kind of music you are playing,

flaming OT:
medyo curious lang ako sa "hiyaw" thingy na yan. Ive watched the video, sounded ordinary to me.
nakakaapekto ba yung amplifier, yung dami at level ng effects? how about very high gain?
"need to be appreciated live"?
may mga songs po ba na dinig ang "hiyaw"?

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #420 on: November 14, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
For me, Tone comes first, Then looks.

When buying a guitar, I first search for the one that has the sound that I want, which takes me a half a day at the least. Then I pick the tip three which I set in front of me on guitar stands. Then I select which one looks best which should take no more than an hour.

Offline rockarolla

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #421 on: November 14, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
Ill go for the tone over looks any day. It's a no brainer except for posers
Some musicians may become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.