hulika

Author Topic: Just a suggestion guys: How about an overdrive and distortion pedal tone party?  (Read 43262 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Are you open to this idea, guys? Shootout sana ng mga not-so-common pedals na available sa atin. Our objective is not to insinuate any "My pedal sounds better than yours!" kind of crap but to allow the others to try out and test the finer drive pedals available in the market today. Joric has a good idea of how the shootout will  be done, so maybe he can explain it to us as well.

Game kayo? Saan tayo pwede magtest? We'd appreciate your suggestions! :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:30:33 AM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Nasa Pinas ka na?  How was the fight?

And siyempre... pakita naman ng na-iskor mo!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Nasa Pinas ka na?  How was the fight?

And siyempre... pakita naman ng na-iskor mo!

Yep, kakauwi ko lang a couple of hours ago :) I decided not to buy a guitar muna, may nakita akong titirahin ko in January! So I'll save up a bit more for it hehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yep, kakauwi ko lang a couple of hours ago :) I decided not to buy a guitar muna, may nakita akong titirahin ko in January! So I'll save up a bit more for it hehe :)

Naks, die-hard Philmusic forumer!  Kakauwi lang eh forum na agad!   :-D

Ano naman yang natipuhan mo?  TA din?  Balik ka dito in Jan?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Naks, die-hard Philmusic forumer!  Kakauwi lang eh forum na agad!   :-D

Ano naman yang natipuhan mo?  TA din?  Balik ka dito in Jan?

Yeah, PhilMusic agad.. Maniningil ng utang! May mga nagpabili sakin e :lol:

Actually bass guitar yung natipuhan ko, not an electric guitar. I'm thinking about getting a Warwick Streamer Stage I then titirahin ko yung isang used TA Strat dun sa shop na napuntahan ko. Ganda rin ng feel ang tone e. Hahaha! :lol:

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
welcome back kuya! hehehe! :-D
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline greatwolf

This is a great idea...at least people could try before they buy.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Here's a draft:

Roles
Player (1 or 2)
Judges (no limit)
Technician (at least 2)
Shootout sheriff

Equipment
Pedals (hidden from view of the players and from judges but not from the audience, technician, or sheriff)
A clean amp (preferably a Fender blackface type) and an overdriven amp (a Marshall type)
Pair of cables

Guidelines
Neither the judges nor the players will see which pedal is being tested at any given time. The technician will change-out pedals and amps, and make the necessary real-time adjustments. The sheriff will coordinate closely with the technician to ensure guidelines are followed. Sheriff will also announce when new pedals are being tested and at what settings. 
Pedals will be set at unity volume and eq but will be tested for 6 minutes at various OD settings and on 2 amps: first on clean amp, one minute each at 9 o clock, 12 o clock, and 3 o clock drive setting. Then the technician plugs into the overdriven amp and does the same round of adjustments.
For proper comparison, a player should try to play the same licks, riffs, chords for the same settings on each pedal being tested
Judges will do their scoring on a matrix sheet to be handed out.  The matrix will include pedals listed per row, and the various settings for both clean and OD amps as columns. Hence, in addition to an Average Score column, there will be 8 columns in the matrix.
The names of the actual pedals will be anonymous; the name key will be made and known only to the sheriff and technician who will sequence the pedals for testing accordingly.
A General Comments section will also allow judges to give their general impressions for each pedal.

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
sana ma post din mga soundclips dito. para at least kaming mga members na wala sa manila may reference din.
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Contents of the scoring sheet matrix:

JUDGE: ______________________________         
YOUR MUSICAL GENRE/STYLE: ____________________
FAVORITE OD PEDAL ________________         
PRIMARY GUITAR AND AMP: _______________________

SCORING CHART
Note: Grade the sound per setting and amp on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest, 1 the lowest.

Column 1:  PEDAL A B C D, etc....

Column 2 onwards:
Clean amp 9 o clock drive
Clean amp 12 o clock drive
Clean amp 3 o clock drive
OD amp 9 o clock drive
OD amp  12 o clock drive
OD amp 3 o clock drive

Last column:  Average score (Total/6)

There's also a section on:
- General Comments on the pedals
- Comments on the shootout process and guidelines?
- How would you have done it differently or better next time?

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Here's a draft:

Roles
Player (1 or 2)
Judges (no limit)
Technician (at least 2)
Shootout sheriff

Equipment
Pedals (hidden from view of the players and from judges but not from the audience, technician, or sheriff)
A clean amp (preferably a Fender blackface type) and an overdriven amp (a Marshall type)
Pair of cables

Guidelines
Neither the judges nor the players will see which pedal is being tested at any given time. The technician will change-out pedals and amps, and make the necessary real-time adjustments. The sheriff will coordinate closely with the technician to ensure guidelines are followed. Sheriff will also announce when new pedals are being tested and at what settings. 
Pedals will be set at unity volume and eq but will be tested for 6 minutes at various OD settings and on 2 amps: first on clean amp, one minute each at 9 o clock, 12 o clock, and 3 o clock drive setting. Then the technician plugs into the overdriven amp and does the same round of adjustments.
For proper comparison, a player should try to play the same licks, riffs, chords for the same settings on each pedal being tested
Judges will do their scoring on a matrix sheet to be handed out.  The matrix will include pedals listed per row, and the various settings for both clean and OD amps as columns. Hence, in addition to an Average Score column, there will be 8 columns in the matrix.
The names of the actual pedals will be anonymous; the name key will be made and known only to the sheriff and technician who will sequence the pedals for testing accordingly.
A General Comments section will also allow judges to give their general impressions for each pedal.

Delta -- Also, try the pedals with a few common guitar types -- strat, LP, etc. -- to see how the pedals take single-coils, hums, etc.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Alright! This is going smoothly so far :) We'll also need volunteers who can bring their OD and disto pedals for testing. Calling Turi and leech!

Sinong mabait na nilalang na pwede maghost ng event? I think this will be a good opportunity for us to be a bit more knowledgeable on pedal characteristics and to meet the other forumites as well :)

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
I have no distortion boxes except an OCD... but i wanna watch. hehehe. Get a nice studio as a venue! Bring in the PRS tribute narin!

Offline georgieporgy

• Veteran Member
oo nga sana pwede open sa lahat ng may gusto  :-D
Vice Chancellor of the SD-1 COALITION

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
saan kaya to? sama naman ako  :-D

Offline Kulas

sali ako jyeeen, hehehe. dala ako ng TS-9 at DS-1 at yung goodies ni ian, hahahaha!

calling kalikot audio! justin! dalhin mo ang OD mong [pichapie]!

Offline georgieporgy

• Veteran Member
sama kami! sama kami!  :lol:
Vice Chancellor of the SD-1 COALITION

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
I have no distortion boxes except an OCD... but i wanna watch. hehehe. Get a nice studio as a venue! Bring in the PRS tribute narin!

Well, you can bring the humbucker-equipped guitar hehehe or an amp or two :) Kung trip mo lang :)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
cge. sali ako. ako na rin magdadala ng Kalikot Audio Grit.

@ leech
ung sayo na rin. drive pedals lang. ONTI LANG NAMAN EH. HEHEHEHE
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
sama 'ko!!! i can bring some junky dirt pedals too! :D

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
Pede din manuod?

Is the Keeley DS-1 considered not so common? :-D

Nathan, meron ka nung real thing di ba? I wanna know how it compares to the jackbauer modded keeley ds-1.

Also wanna hear the MI Audio tube zone if anyone can bring one.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Pede din manuod?

Is the Keeley DS-1 considered not so common? :-D

Nathan, meron ka nung real thing di ba? I wanna know how it compares to the jackbauer modded keeley ds-1.

Also wanna hear the MI Audio tube zone if anyone can bring one.

Pwede na yang Keeley DS-1! May jackbauer DS-1 ako.. Sabong na yan! Ang plan sana is may OD shootout then may separate distortion shootout. Take turns lang sa clean at dirty amps :)

Offline trees

• Forum Fanatic
I also want to hear the Creamtone fo G2D. .. .sabi daw. . .holy grail ng od pedal. . .

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
Game kelan?  :-D

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Hehehe kailangan meron muna tayong venue :) Then set tayo ng sked. Include tayo ng minimal entrance/attendance fee para sa pangsnacks na rin natin and/or pangbayad sa venue :)