hulika

Author Topic: Baker 55 vs. Baker 41  (Read 37547 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Baker 55 vs. Baker 41
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:30:14 AM »
WARNING: HIGHLY OPINIONATED COMMENTS

Gene Baker and Cliff Cultreri have proved that they can choose to be consistent.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:39:33 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Baker 55 vs. Baker 41
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:45 AM »
CAUTION: HIGHLY OPINIONATED CHRISTMAS HONEYMOON

In my opinion, these two guitar will kill 99.5% of the world's guitars and there is nothing better than them.  There may be a few guitars on their level but this for me is where I am at peace.  Finally, buying guitars I can say with 100% confidence is now truly fun because I have found a luthier who can get the sound I want and match it with great looks.

I use to think that I could get away with cheaper responsive guitars which were Japanese because I was so disappointed with a lot of the USA stuff.  Truly these two guitars give us a brief glimpse of the small core of handmade USA luthier guitars that really define what it is to be a proud owner of a USA made guitar.  These are truly works of art that seek to touch the emotion which will not be passe. 

Is there any locally made guitar that can touch any of them?  None.   These two guitars not only combine classic beauty, playability, sound, response and feel, but more importantly there is an immediate emotional connection.  The MAGIC of why we all GAS.  For me, it ends here.  Journey is finished.  Anytime, I need a new guitar with a different configuration, I will just go to Gene and Cliff to ask them to configure and cook it to my sound requirements more importantly because I am aligned with them thru the reference #55 and #41. 

I encourage every Pinoy in Philmusic to really save up and forget all the crappy name branding, purely looks game and nationalistic delusion and buy yourself a Baker.  If its anything that owning a 2nd Baker proves is that they can replicate their high standard and thats what I am pointing at. 

Recently, there have been a lot of threads about people admonishing their guitars but I believe this is the real deal because at almost US$10,000 on two guitars, this was a risky move for me.  With only a 14 guitar difference between both guitars -- the 41 being older by two months in age -- to get this level of response and harmonic richness is an achievement. 

However, I would like to point out that I am not saying there will be no bad sounding guitar from Gene and Cliff but rather they have the better chance of getting an amazing guitar because their minimum standard (worst sounding guitar) is already way above the maximum of so many guitar brands.

Truly for some luthiers, you really get what you pay for.

Sound differences?... stay posted for the next part of this review

Offline dark_minister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
wow, highly opinionated nga... so high that i became curious what those axe sounds like... are you inside the pasig area? 'coz i would love to go to your place and listen to those axes that you have, let's see if it really does live up to what you said... not that im having doubts, but of course, i dont have one and havent heard how it sounds so i can't say if i would agree to your opinion or not... im just curious, really... this is like a "to hear is to believe" kind of curiosity...  :-D
Chatting Bird by Caparison Musical Project (SSH config strat), LTD EC-401, Max Rufo Custom 7 String, Line 6 Spider IV 150, Planet Waves Cables

References: rschua, coffee, cleuxss08, BossingBoss, vindalena

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:12:16 AM »
Kung ganyan kamahal & kaganda mga gitara ko di ko ipapatong sa damuhan para makunan ng pictures. Baka magasgas. :-D

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
Looks like  a keeper alex :) ! Enjoy!

Offline r_lozano

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »
Wow! Congrats!!!
I wonder which of the two sounds better.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 12:15:13 PM »
nice.... masyado lang makapal yun margin nun pagka tobacco... how does it weigh??? light weight siguro :-)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »
Thanks vhunter, r_lozano.

Farseer,

It looks better in person... I initially thought the margin was yucky but when you actually understand the concept of Gene, it still actually makes a statement. 

Though #41 is not as heavy as #55, it is still 8.4 lbs.

Dark Minister,

I live in White Plains... are you available this afternoon?

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
sigh...
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline dark_minister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »

Dark Minister,

I live in White Plains... are you available this afternoon?

i wish i was, but ill see if i can get a free time, ill pm you if get to do so... kahit marinig ko lang, di ko naman kayang bumili ng ganyan and not most of us have those so it would be a "once in a blue moon" for me to experience those guitars...
Chatting Bird by Caparison Musical Project (SSH config strat), LTD EC-401, Max Rufo Custom 7 String, Line 6 Spider IV 150, Planet Waves Cables

References: rschua, coffee, cleuxss08, BossingBoss, vindalena

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »
absolutely beautiful guitars there. Stunning looks and I'm sure tone too as robben ford uses a baker too and nobody can deny his timbre.

My only problem with these guitars is that they have 22 fret necks. If they had 24 frets and some kind of superstrat configuration, I'd save up till forever to buy one

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
Nice guitars, Alex! When can you host another informal pastry party of sorts at Arie's (I think that was lat June 12, 2006)  so I can try your Bakers? Dalhin mo uli Diezel, I'd like to hear it again, if that's okay with you. :)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
Lahed,

Though may super strat neck thru configuration na si Gene, hindi pa raw siya tooled for 24 frets.  So, I guess we have to wait.  I found out because Gene was going to make 10 guitars this 2008 as custom orders. They gave me a slot.

I have the order sheet.

Titser marco,

Not sure when the next tone party will be because I still have to get new speaker cabinets which I have wanted to do for the longest time.  Suggest you just drive by my house one of these days and give it a go.  You really have to spend time with these guitars to discover their nuances.  Hindi lang ito for gigging to post a review but rather you have to bring your own guitar to compare. 

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 03:31:51 PM »
Can i tag along?

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
Awesome guitars sir Alex!  :-D
Although I’m not sure if it would smoke 99.5% of the guitars in the world.  IMO.  Because when I think about boutique stuff, I think JG would have the same craftsmanship Gene has but he can hoard better wood. Also, I believe that some vintage guitars will outdo Gene Baker's work because of superior wood.

I think that Bakers would be in the same league as outstanding Gibby LP historics, special CS Fenders, John Suhrs, Mcintruff, Heatley  etc but would not be better.

It's just my opinion of course.

Again, beautiful guitars sir! Wish I could have one. Love that korina p90 model sir  :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »
Thanks Nealyu... At least on the #55 and #41, they are old growth wood.  JG is part of the .5%.  Some old Bursts may out do the #55 and #41 but we all know that there are more bad sounding Bursts than there are good ones.  On the totality, even outstanding Gibby LP historics are not on par with the total experience of these two bakers.  CS Fenders not even in this league.  I think Baker B3s have higher quality and mean average than Suhrs.  Don't know about Heatley.  Some Mcinturffs will be in the same league.

Just my opinion too... I just want to qualify that #55 and #41 are very very very special Baker B3s and by the very fact that they have the same response makes it hard to choose between both.

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
Nice guitars, alex!  Any plans of getting a Baker superstrat?  :wink:  I'd love to testdrive one of those.  :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 05:41:50 PM »
microchimp,

I had some plans... but I am very limited by the existing templates of Gene.  So, I am sleeping on it.

Nealyu,

With regards to these bakers, they have a strong dimensionality in their sound -- somewhat like a bit of built in chorus or reverb that I cannot find on good sounding bolt ons.  For a bolt on, Suhrs seem to be of exceptional quality and I expect it to be because of CNC but baker b3s have a handmade element to them that makes them feel natural.

Also, the true bursts have different price classifications.  You can ask vhunter.  I think the good sounding bursts have a plus US$50,000 premium over bad sounding ones.  If you try calling ultra sound, they have a real 59 that they use to test the amps which they are not really so hot about.  Also, if you talk to Don Grosh, he will tell you that we should all know that NOT all 58-60s  Les Pauls sound good. 

My experience with Gibson Historics are less than ideal.  So far, not one of those I tested ever approached half the response of the #55.   

Offline walter123

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
ganda!! presyo palang e! pwede ba xa maging shred guitar?

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 06:56:12 PM »
Wow. I'd really want to try that out  :-D

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
I stand corrected. Maybe Baker guitars may smoke 99.5% of the guitars in the world because I think there are more crappy guitars made by China and Korea and average American made guitars combined than outstanding guitars.

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 07:07:40 PM »
Sir Alex, I also said that only some vintage guitars will smoke. I didn't say all 59's etc.  :-)

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »
ganda!! presyo palang e! pwede ba xa maging shred guitar?
kahit ano naman pwede maging shred guitar, ang mahirap maging shred yung gitarista hehe. :wink:

Offline P Nut

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
nice guitars. ser tanong ko lang, san ba kayo nakakuha ng ganyang klaseng guitar stand?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 07:37:13 PM »
Nealyu,

I did have a chance at some vintage guitars around 6 or 7 seven of them prior to 1967... In fact only the 1967 Strat was close at around 60% of the response but none of the bigness of any of the bakers...

Vintage guitars I think are highly over rated...