hulika

Author Topic: Drums & Gear endorsement  (Read 11481 times)

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: endorsements
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
thanks for the info guys!

its gonna be tough. il try work on it thou. ive read in a Modern Drummer mag that there are different classes of endorsements. so i was wondering if I would pass for class C :-D although it would big help if my band is as popular as Parokya ni Edgar! my band is not yet in the same status of Parokya thou, but were doing alright. were in the NU charts, playing with big bands...hope this works  :-)

il ask sir JB...

salamat ulet!

good luck pards!
let us know how it works out!
:-)

Offline black_panther

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
It would also not hurt if you get extra friendly to the employees of your favorite music store. Get to know them by their first names, be a regular customer, and be faithful to their brands, etc. And when the big boss asks their opinion on future endorsers, your name might pop out in their lists.

thats the most important part, faith and trust to the brand...its just sad becuase some just wanted it because of the free stuffs...
SPL AUDIO MARKETING QUIAPO, MANILA
TEL#735-54-40
 HI-FI LOUNGE ALABANG FESTIVAL MALL  TEL#842-81-33  THE MUSIC SOURCE EDSA  TEL#376-4598/ 415-03-66

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »
yep! kailangan faithful! ive been playing the same brand for quite sometime now( ore than 10 years)...im thinking of giving this endorsement deal a shot, since my band is kinda out there might as well give it a shot  :-)

any tips black panther?

thanks  :-)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:34:26 PM by nikogulo »

Offline Dheniz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 11:05:12 PM »
yep! kailangan faithful! ive been playing the same brand for quite sometime now( ore than 10 years)...im thinking of giving this endorsement deal a shot, since my band is kinda out there might as well give it a shot  :-)

any tips black panther?

thanks  :-)

pag endorser ka na nikko hengeng gamit ha hahaha  :evil:

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
pag endorser ka na nikko hengeng gamit ha hahaha  :evil:

hehe! kung matuloy...i dont think il be getting anything..il have to be the one promoting them :)  pero kung may extra ako, baka il have it up for bids!hehe

Offline Jecster25

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 01:21:44 AM »
It involves a lot of things. Just because you are in a high profile band doesn’t mean you get a good chance of getting an endorsement. JB Music looks at a lot of things in a musician. Passion, Commitment, Loyalty and of course a musician for others. Master Dindin was an easy candidate since we know that he grew up with a FERNANDO drums and Zildjian Cymbals. Was a regular customer that showed loyalty to the art and the industry. Of course, it didn’t hurt that he came from that band name Parkya ni Edgar. Welcome back Pareng Din!

Keep on Rocking...Jerico

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »
It involves a lot of things. Just because you are in a high profile band doesn’t mean you get a good chance of getting an endorsement. JB Music looks at a lot of things in a musician. Passion, Commitment, Loyalty and of course a musician for others. Master Dindin was an easy candidate since we know that he grew up with a FERNANDO drums and Zildjian Cymbals. Was a regular customer that showed loyalty to the art and the industry. Of course, it didn’t hurt that he came from that band name Parkya ni Edgar. Welcome back Pareng Din!

Keep on Rocking...Jerico

cool! thanks! its been quite tough getting thou.....

Offline toybitz

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »
for the meantime na hindi pa ka pa "nadidiscover"...practice lang ng practice..

and, mind you...don't forget to be musical.  its your contribution to your band's songs that gets more recognition... tapos..

hingi ka na lang ng drum spot sa bonus track ng album niyo.  :-D
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 08:14:08 PM »
yep! practice practice!!!!! ive been watching a lot of drum videos! very inspirational...

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »

Keep on Rocking...Jerico

There... that's advice from the Big Boss himself!

Thanks for the WB Jerico! Kelan inuman??? hehehe

Good Luck Niko! Keep up the good work! Who knows? You may reap all the benefits sooner than you think!  :wink:

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »

Good Luck Niko! Keep up the good work! Who knows? You may reap all the benefits sooner than you think!  :wink:

thanks sir dindin! is jerico the guy i should talk too? my band is playing in dutdutan, di ko lang alam kung sabay tayo we can meet and you can give me advice  :-D gusto ko rin panoorin kayo di ko lang sure kung anong day kami sa dutdutan!

cheers,
niko

Offline toybitz

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2008, 06:06:37 AM »

uy...napupuno ng mga Atenista itong thread na ito ah..hahaha!

uy ako din! laking Fernando!
pati yun drums sa youth worship hall namin, ako ang kumuha ng responsibilidad at Fernando pa din kinuha ko.

yun Blue..diyan na ako natuto noong 1992...sa home church..

ito, sa mother church..

Boss Jerico Fernando, Boss Jesus Fernando...endorse po ako ng Fernando drums?
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »
If you can find a copy of the August 2007 issue of Modern Drummer, there's an excellent article there about endorsement deals.  Plenty of useful info and tips there!  The feature is titled, "Getting 'The Deal': The Music Industry's Endorsement Game".

I'll share an excerpt from this feature...

Source:  Modern Drummer, August 2007 issue, page 127.

9 Tips For Success As An Endorsing Artist, by John Wittman*

1. Develop a clear vision of yourself.  Know who you are, determine your own sound, and devote yourself to music: the songs, the group, the sound, your students, and your career.  Once you're making a living playing music and have something to offer others, then move on to tip number two.

2. Ask yourself why you're seeking an endorsement.  What do you bring to the table that would matter?  What attributes do you have as a person and an artist that would make you valuable to a company?

3. Do you have an established career in music?  (Be realistic.)  How long have you been in your current band?  How many thousands of recordings were sold last year with your name listed?  Are you currently on a major tour?  If you're still in school, stay focused on your music and forget about endorsements.

4. A great player is not necessarily a great clinician.  It's important to manufacturers that those who call themselves clinicians are indeed artful and effective at this pursuit.  Before you ask for clinic support, have 100 clinics under your bet - and make sure that belt is a black belt in the art of teaching.

5. If you want to be an endorsing representative of a company, you must know and respect who you'd be representing before you even approach them.  Become an expert of the company whose instrument you play.  Know its history, philosophy, current artist roster, and position in the marketplace.  Study the roster of artists on the company's website.  Do you fit in with that roster?

6. Establish a rapport.  Introduce yourself to the company's staff at trade shows - without presenting a package or even mentioning the word "endorsement."  We assume, if you're talking to us, that you can play.  In an endorsement context, you need to establish yourself as a businessperson.  We would know what it would be like to work with you.

7. Prepare a well-crafted promo package.  It should include a short cover letter, a bio, a recording, a photo, and the URL to your web site.  Take time crafting this package; it creates your first impression.  Do some background work to be sure you're sending the package to the correct person, and that you have that person's correct title and the correct spelling of his or her name.

8. Don't expect free instruments or to be paid money in return for playing a company's instrument.  Artist discounts will be discussed after your package has generated interest.  And remember that companies expect endorsing artists to play their instrumnets exclusively, to mention their companies at educational events, to thank the company for their support, and (when possible) to include the company's name on recordings.

9. Keep focused on the music while paying attention to your sound and to your business skills.  Music manufacturers are, above all, interested in being represented by good, professional musicians who truly love the tools of their trade.

*John Wittman is manager of artist relations and education for Yamaha's Band & Orchestral Division.

:mrgreen:

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
If you can find a copy of the August 2007 issue of Modern Drummer, there's an excellent article there about endorsement deals.  Plenty of useful info and tips there!  The feature is titled, "Getting 'The Deal': The Music Industry's Endorsement Game".

I'll share an excerpt from this feature...

Source:  Modern Drummer, August 2007 issue, page 127.

9 Tips For Success As An Endorsing Artist, by John Wittman*

1. Develop a clear vision of yourself.  Know who you are, determine your own sound, and devote yourself to music: the songs, the group, the sound, your students, and your career.  Once you're making a living playing music and have something to offer others, then move on to tip number two.

2. Ask yourself why you're seeking an endorsement.  What do you bring to the table that would matter?  What attributes do you have as a person and an artist that would make you valuable to a company?

3. Do you have an established career in music?  (Be realistic.)  How long have you been in your current band?  How many thousands of recordings were sold last year with your name listed?  Are you currently on a major tour?  If you're still in school, stay focused on your music and forget about endorsements.

4. A great player is not necessarily a great clinician.  It's important to manufacturers that those who call themselves clinicians are indeed artful and effective at this pursuit.  Before you ask for clinic support, have 100 clinics under your bet - and make sure that belt is a black belt in the art of teaching.

5. If you want to be an endorsing representative of a company, you must know and respect who you'd be representing before you even approach them.  Become an expert of the company whose instrument you play.  Know its history, philosophy, current artist roster, and position in the marketplace.  Study the roster of artists on the company's website.  Do you fit in with that roster?

6. Establish a rapport.  Introduce yourself to the company's staff at trade shows - without presenting a package or even mentioning the word "endorsement."  We assume, if you're talking to us, that you can play.  In an endorsement context, you need to establish yourself as a businessperson.  We would know what it would be like to work with you.

7. Prepare a well-crafted promo package.  It should include a short cover letter, a bio, a recording, a photo, and the URL to your web site.  Take time crafting this package; it creates your first impression.  Do some background work to be sure you're sending the package to the correct person, and that you have that person's correct title and the correct spelling of his or her name.

8. Don't expect free instruments or to be paid money in return for playing a company's instrument.  Artist discounts will be discussed after your package has generated interest.  And remember that companies expect endorsing artists to play their instrumnets exclusively, to mention their companies at educational events, to thank the company for their support, and (when possible) to include the company's name on recordings.

9. Keep focused on the music while paying attention to your sound and to your business skills.  Music manufacturers are, above all, interested in being represented by good, professional musicians who truly love the tools of their trade.

*John Wittman is manager of artist relations and education for Yamaha's Band & Orchestral Division.

:mrgreen:

ive have this issue and ive read it! thats the reason why im interested in getting an endorsement deal! thanks anthony!!!  :-)

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
^ You're welcome, bro!  That's good. 

I believe there are some old but still existing endorsement-related discussions here in the forum.  Try to search for those.  There are some tips shared there as well.

PS...  I found the old thread.  Here's the link - http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,24343.0.html .  I think it's good that we merge these topics.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:24:18 PM by drumster »

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »
^ You're welcome, bro!  That's good. 

I believe there are some old but still existing endorsement-related discussions here in the forum.  Try to search for those.  There are some tips shared there as well.

PS...  I found the old thread.  Here's the link - http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,24343.0.html .  I think it's good that we merge these topics.

Thanks Anthony! good job in finding the old thread!

Youre a good candidate to for getting an endorsement bro. I think better chances than me! :-)

I know youre faithful to TAMA and ZILDJIAN..

cheers!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: Drums & Gear endorsement
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »
^ You're welcome, bro Niko!  I'm glad the search function is healthy today.  :-D

Thanks for the kind words too.  Personally, I think I'm not yet "ripe" or prepared enough to be able to score an endorsement.  But it's definitely my dream to someday have endorsement deals with top manufacturers.  If it's destined to happen someday, then that would be quite an achievement.  In the meantime, I'll just continue doing my part as a professional musician/artist.

It's funny that you mentioned two of my favorite brands.  So I guess I must be doing something right hehe!  :-D  Seriously, I am indeed loyal to those brands.  I've tried and played various brands of drums and cymbals, but I guess I just found my match on Tama's & Zildjian's products.  Their products help me sound and perform better.  Their drums and cymbals have somehow become my musical voice; my personal sound.

Hahaha I sounded like I'm fishing for a deal! :lol:  But like what I said in my old reply way back, I prefer to just let it happen.

Good luck sa ating lahat!  :-)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:30:35 AM by drumster »

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »
^ You're welcome, bro Niko!  I'm glad the search function is healthy today.  :-D

Thanks for the kind words too.  Personally, I think I'm not yet "ripe" or prepared enough to be able to score an endorsement.  But it's definitely my dream to someday have endorsement deals with top manufacturers.  If it's destined to happen someday, then that would be quite an achievement.  In the meantime, I'll just continue doing my part as a professional musician/artist.

It's funny that you mentioned two of my favorite brands.  So I guess I must be doing something right hehe!  :-D  Seriously, I am indeed loyal to those brands.  I've tried and played various brands of drums and cymbals, but I guess I just found my match on Tama's & Zildjian's products.  Their products help me sound and perform better.  Their drums and cymbals have somehow become my musical voice; my personal sound.

Hahaha I sounded like I'm fishing for a deal! :lol:  But like what I said in my old reply way back, I prefer to just let it happen.

Good luck sa ating lahat!  :-)

salamat Anthony! you could get yours sooner than you think! gusto rin sana ma-expose yung Filipino drummer outside of the Philippines! i think this is possible by doing endorsements too...can i apply for a job that deals with endorsments? like a south east asain representative or Philippine representative for international companies like Zildjian, Sabian, Tama, Pearl, Sonor, Paiste, etc.?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 04:27:24 AM »
^ I think having a job for these companies is different from being an official artist/endorser.  If you're really that interested, just directly contact the companies you're interested with.  Good luck!

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
^ I think having a job for these companies is different from being an official artist/endorser.  If you're really that interested, just directly contact the companies you're interested with.  Good luck!

cool! im thinking if i work in a company like Zildjian i will enjoy it and it would make me a better drummer..just a thought. i better start working on this..