hulika

Author Topic: Plagiarism in Photography  (Read 33469 times)

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Plagiarism in Photography
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »

parang nang-aasar pa tong gag0 na to ah  :razz:
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »

parang nang-aasar pa tong gag0 na to ah  :razz:

Patis tesoro padaw yung barong niya..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
maya ko basahin yang FB, bawal sa office eh. :-D

ang naisip ko lang ay may mabuti rin naidulot ang pagkapanalo nya ng 1st place sa pamamagitan ng pagnanakaw:

1) Kasi kung 2nd o 3rd place lang siya, malamang di gaaanong mapagtutuonan ng pansin ang ninakaw nyang litrato dahil sa 1st place lahat tututok...tuloy ang ligaya nya.
2) Mas maraming Pilipino ngayon ang mas naging aware na di lang sa sulatin o sa musika o sa pelikula pwedeng magnakaw, pati sa photography.
3) Mas natauhan ang mga taga-UP sa mga produkto nitong di kanais-nais: the cat-killing student, the senators, at itong sociopath na magnanakaw na ito. Kaya dapat maging mabigat ang parusa sa taong ito ng hindi pamarisan ng mga bata...lalo na't napakaraming may hawak ng DSLR sa campus.

mismo, I was a DSLR nut a few years ago..got a bunch of gear..abandoned it for a small rugged  compact camera nowadays..the bulk the weight, the hassles of lugging around a DSLR got to me...

eto pala yung isang shot ko sa isang army  camp when i was studying my masters degree in applied thermal nuclear divison using roman numerals...sa Harvard Westminster Abbey University London.

I snapped this while i was out for a morning jog sa base..it was near my dormitory..There was a big storm that morning..kaya natumba yung flagpole eh may napadaan na isang troop na nagjogging din..binuhat nila..

Please like my Facebook page and flickr...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Patis tesoro padaw yung barong niya..

at sinasabi nya na mahirap sya. minsan talaga masarap pumatay eh  :razz:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
Watched the video of his acceptance speech. He certainly made fools out of the entire audience--hundreds of them it seems..and especially the hosts/organizers, the Chilean Embassy -- who all applauded and cheered him. Deep inside, Solis must be laughing "haha mga uto uto!!" Wonder how those people who applauded and took pics of him feel now.

However, What he did is even more damning than your usual plagiarism case.

If this was say, a contest sponsored by the Dept of Tourism, and he submitted a picture of a sunset in Boracay .. caption saying "the breathtaking majestic sky over Boracay at Dusk" and he won, and turned out it was a photo (or Boracay) taken by someone else... THAT'S Plagiarsim.

But in this case...

It was sponsored by a FOREIGN GOVERNMENT (Chile). How often do you hear Embassy sponsored contests? Much kudos to them, trying o foster friendship between our countries.. imagine all the Chilean dignitaries who attended the event. Todo pusteryoso pa for sure mga yan. The prize money came from their govt budget. Nasa newsletter or mainstream news na rin nila yan... tapos this crap happens? We'll be the laughingstock of the Chileans!

Then there's the theme.. of which he alluded to in his speech...basically the beauty of the Filipino spirit as shown in the smile of that "FILIPINO" Boy in ZAMBOANGA City amidst hardship...

E yun pala, the Boy is not a Filipino, and its not in Zamboanga or anywhere in the Philippines..!!! The sublime message being, of all Photos submitted and screened by the committee, they chose that pic over hundreds of other photos with GENUINE Pinoys in GENUINE Philippine Locales. Yun pala di sa Pinas. NGEK!! 

Now , IRONICALLY, any foreigner who reads this news (especially CHILEANS) is hearing all about ZAMBOANGA CITY... Not because of a smiling boy, but of a war-torn city being terrorized by terrorists. Makes you wonder if its even POSSIBLE to capture such a photo over there.

But God forbid we should criticize him or take him to task for what he did, as we will be called "cyber bullies".

One last thing- Im just wondering, didnt his family and friends (who all congratulated him and reveled in his triumph) ever ask him... "ANAK/KUYA/PARE.... teka lang, Kailan ka pumunta sa Zamboanga para kunin yung pic na yun? Sabi mo 2012 mo Kinuha... di ka naman bumiyahe papuntang Zamboanga a?"

Meaning that they most likely knew beforehand.
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
Detractors fear the boy has an inner sociopath that keeps rising to the surface. In an interview after last week’s awarding ceremonies, Solis discussed his winning entry and the boy in the photo, whose name he did not provide, with our reporter Donnabelle Gatdula.

An excerpt: “I told him, just smile in the most natural way you can. You may show your teeth or you may not show your teeth. The context of the photo is that he was helping his father harvest seaweed in Zamboanga, which is a place right now that is falling apart. It was really relevant for me to have one photo. It was shot back in 2012, when the place was struck by Typhoon Lawin. The enterprise is called aquaculture seaweed farming. (The typhoon) destroyed their house, that is why he’s helping his father. This kid wants to become a seaman… to board a ship and have money.”

^^^GRABE!!!!!! SOCIOPATH TO THE MAX!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline spadettie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
nampootcha, kung napanood nyo interview ng mokong na to sa GMA 7, langya wala sa ichura nya ang titira sa bahay na yun.

Offline raginghormones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Detractors fear the boy has an inner sociopath that keeps rising to the surface. In an interview after last week’s awarding ceremonies, Solis discussed his winning entry and the boy in the photo, whose name he did not provide, with our reporter Donnabelle Gatdula.

An excerpt: “I told him, just smile in the most natural way you can. You may show your teeth or you may not show your teeth. The context of the photo is that he was helping his father harvest seaweed in Zamboanga, which is a place right now that is falling apart. It was really relevant for me to have one photo. It was shot back in 2012, when the place was struck by Typhoon Lawin. The enterprise is called aquaculture seaweed farming. (The typhoon) destroyed their house, that is why he’s helping his father. This kid wants to become a seaman… to board a ship and have money.”

^^^GRABE!!!!!! SOCIOPATH TO THE MAX!

sociopath indeed! grabe story telling skills niya at anlawak ng kanyang

"Amateurs worry about equipment,
professionals worry about money,
masters worry about light...  I just take pictures..."-Vernon Trent

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:39 AM »
Only in the Failippines where a legal document you got from govt office and submit it again to another govt office to have it authenticate. Then when you go abroad again you need to bring the authenticated document to the embassy for verification. Because Filipinos know that they are cheaters.

http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2013/09/froth-and-bubble-toil-and-trouble/

“Froth and Bubble”, “Toil and Trouble”
September 25, 2013by Ms. Mike Portes
Plagiarism is personal to me, having been a victim myself , unfortunately many think plagiarism is a none issue.
Well sorry to say that, plagiarism has one big repercussion that should make each Filipino conscious and cautious about and it is losing our credibility and the respect of the international market. Fact is, we are already a dime a dozen abroad, and issues on credibility does affect our market value.
Just compare the contracts of other Third world nationals against that of our OFWs and see how short changed most of our kababayans are, and that’s just because of how we are currently being exported as cattle and nothing but cheap labor.  It is now up to the OFW to prove his worth. What happens when the branding of dishonesty is synonymous to our nationality, won’t that be an issue we should all be concerned about?
Let’s go beyond the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) which dictates that everything is copyright protected once a material hits a server therefore making individuals who copy and paste, improperly quote, or intentionally plagiarize online material financially liable for their actions.
Mark Joseph Solis
What Mark Joseph Solis did is nothing new in my lifetime. He obviously took after our “beloved” politicians and public servants. We’ve seen this act so many times with our “leaders”, the only difference is that Solis got busted and being held accountable unlike with our politicians who don’t get busted or if they do get busted, they are never held accountable.
Let’s go beyond the plagiarism of Mark Joseph Solis and the manifestations of a victim psychology because fact is, being poor or hard up didn’t prevent any true achiever from attaining success and their goals.
Let’s just forget all that and just focus on the accessible opportunities to graduates of any of the country’s top calibre schools.
It appears that plagiarism has become in vogue within the very halls that are supposed to craft laws. The Senate reverberate with plagiarism, the most sensational of which was that of Sotto, that gave birth to the term “Sottoism”. Yesterday’s news it is but the stink permeates and latches on.
The stench is emanating from a culture of impunity, where even the revered of legal positions have become oblivious of fair game, recall when SC Associate Justice Mariano del Castillo got away with plagiarism, excused with “accidental removal of proper attributions”. Let’s not leave out Marcos, Gloria, Bolante, Garcia, Ligot; Our history is pock marked with the deplorable statistics on plunder cases.
Many times, I have written that the miasma is reeking from the very dysfunctions of our culture yet many are too deluded to see that the problem is when institutions are consumed with self-entitlement.
An “uno”, a title or an award, regardless of how it was attained, are given the highest premium.
Superficiality has been the norm, most have forgotten the essence of passion and service. Worse of all, we have forgotten our humanity and we only see commodity.
The indecency and the abuse of privilege has become a template for a people who would rather buy popularity than substance.
After 27 years after People Power and we have re-invented a nation on a house of cards.
What Mark Joseph Solis did, is nothing new in my lifetime. He obviously took after our “beloved” politicians and public servants. We’ve seen this act so many times with our “leaders”, the only difference is that Solis got busted and being held accountable unlike with our politicians who don’t get busted or if they do get busted, they are never held accountable.
Woe to high education, titles and awards when all are diminished to “froth and bubble”, when all that it has given back to a nation is power with expiration and achievement confined to applause. All “honor” devoid of the responsibility to uphold the greater good. The returns, all “toil and trouble”.
In my country, all are in want of change but only a scruple want to take part in the solution. Such is a people ingrossed with selfies than with immersion.
Blinded by the glitter, lured to the flames.
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
personality seen by reading the face? that's silly.

the kid committed a crime, that is what it is. wag na lagyan ng ibang kulay, parang the Buzz lang ang dating eh. dahil if anybody insisted about it being pinoy prideZZZ, then they're missing the entire point really. dahil pwede rin tingnan ito sa kabilang punto: "yak! ganyan pala ang trabaho ng mga taong galing sa mga kilalang school?" which is actually not the issue, kagaya ng nationality.

Offline raginghormones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
h@yup talaga sa kapal ng mukha!!

"Amateurs worry about equipment,
professionals worry about money,
masters worry about light...  I just take pictures..."-Vernon Trent

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

grabe na tigas ng mukha nito. mas makapal pa sa adobeng pader ng mga lumang bahay  :razz:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
MANILA, Philippines - After citing youthful lapse of judgment, the lure of travel abroad, and the prize money, Mark Joseph Solis now says that poverty drove him to lift someone else’s photo and submit it as his own to a contest sponsored by the Chilean embassy in Manila.
He has not returned the prize money of $1,000, and issued an appeal that he be allowed to keep it.
In an interview with GMA News TV, Solis explained that he only wanted help ease his family’s financial problems.
“Hirap din sa buhay, minsan gusto mo rin ng bagong gamit kahit papano, minsan kapos sa tuition, in fact ngayon hindi pa ako nakakabayad ng tuition ko sa UP (Life is hard, sometimes you want new things, sometimes you lack tuition money, in fact I haven’t paid my UP tuition yet).”
Solis, along with his mother Amelia, showed the news crew their modest rented home, which they are also renting out to other people to augment their income.
However, netizen Maricris Valte, who used to work with Solis, urged the fact-finding committee of the University of the Philippines (UP) to conduct a lifestyle check.
“Watching Mark Solis’ interview on GMA News TV, where he claims that money problems forced him to resort to misrepresenting himself. I want to puke! I’ve seen his house in Las Piñas and the venue of the GMA-7 interview doesn’t look anything close to his house. He has more expensive gadgets than I have! I challenge the fact-finding committee of UP to investigate his and his family’s lifestyle,” Valte posted on her Facebook account.
When asked to elaborate, Valte told The STAR that Solis used to work in a project that she was managing and that they rode in the same service car that ferried him from his home in Las Piñas to their seminar venue in Tagaytay.
Valte also disputes Solis’ claims that he led the research arm of the Philippine Society of Public Administration (PSPA). “He was contracted for my project Dec. 1, 2012 and unless this is where he spent those times that he was absent from work, there is no way that he could have been ‘leading’ the research arm of PSPA. I recommended the pre-termination of his contract effective March 8, 2013.”
Another case of misrepresentation, Valte pointed out, is the political science thesis of Solis titled “Accountability Deficit and Electoral Violence: The Case of Civilian Volunteer Organizations in Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao,” which received a mark of 1.25, reportedly the highest in his class.
“As Dr. Maria Ela Atienza of Pol Sci dept said, there is no undergraduate thesis in Pol Sci, unless you belong to a 5-year BA-MA Honors program (and Mark did not belong to this program). In such case, you get a grade of P or F for your thesis, with no numerical equivalent,” Valte said.
Meanwhile, University of the Philippines president Alfredo Pascual yesterday said he shares the outrage felt by everyone over the issue involving graduate student Solis, who won in a photo essay competition by submitting a photo lifted from the Internet.
“I would like to assure the public that the UP administration is treating this matter very seriously. I share the outrage felt by everyone,” said Pascual in a statement.
“Upon my instructions, the UP National College of Public Administration and Governance (NCPAG) has formed a fact-finding committee to establish the circumstances and chronology of events as well as the digital footprints related to this issue and to recommend measures to be undertaken to ensure that justice is served,” he said.
UP NCPAG dean Maria Fe Mendoza said the fact-finding committee is composed of a senior faculty, a junior faculty, and a student representative.
Solis, a graduate of political science in UP, is currently enrolled in his first semester at the UP NCPAG for his masters degree.
“We share the indignation of many people who find the action of Mr. Solis profoundly deplorable. Let us allow due process to take its complete course,” UP-NCPAG said in a statement.
Earlier, UP vice president for public affairs J. Prospero de Vera said the three-person fact-finding committee was given until Oct. 4 to submit its recommendations.
“The fact-finding committee, after the appraisal of the facts, will say whether (or not) they think there are violations of university rules and regulations,” said De Vera.
As regards requests posted on the Internet asking the university to withdraw the political science degree granted to Solis, De Vera said UP could not just decide on the matter without giving him due process.
“There is a process involved as far as taking back degrees because that is given by the Board of Regents,” said the vice president.
“The board will have to act on it based on a complaint, based on an investigation, and based on the use of due process through the student disciplinary tribunal,” he said.
UP Diliman chancellor Caesar Saloma had said the university is currently in the process of revising its student rules and regulations.
Saloma said the 2012 Code of Student Conduct – a draft of which was released on the UP website – is still under consultation and has yet to take effect.
The present one in effect is the 1998 rules and regulations on student conduct and discipline.
Section 1 of the 1998 rule states that “students shall at all times observe the laws of the land and the rules and regulations of the university.”
The Cultural Center of the Philippines, partner of the Chilean embassy in the Calidad Humana project, yesterday issued a statement deploring Solis’ act of plagiarism.
“His action becomes even more shameless when he personally received his prizes from Ambassador Roberto Mayorga during the celebration of the National Day of Chile,” CCP said. “We understand that Mr. Solis will be living in the shadow of his shame.”
The Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPPAP) likewise said that their own investigation is underway and that if Solis is proven guilty the reward will be recalled “without prejudice to the filing of civil and criminal cases if warranted by circumstances.”  – Janvic Mateo, Jose Rodel Clapano, Verns Joven
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline ibbyboy02

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
Lakas makasira ng araw ni Solis.

Now hiring: hitman

Paradigm Shift

Offline stirfriedstrat

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
"rip his head off and shit down his throat!"

~Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
^ exactly!

sad event for UP pero naniniwala pa din ako na isolated lang tong taong ito. anyone from any school given the right kind of twistedness can do this.

at balibalita pa na ayaw daw niya ibalik yung prize money even after the exposé.

on the internetz, it's even being said that he is not the "poor and struggling" student he makes himself out to be, which he says is the main reason behind his "youthful lapse in judgement".  :-D
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Anung nangyari dito? Pinatawad ng original na mayari ng pic?
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2013, 07:00:03 AM »

plus GMA7's "walang kinikilingan" bu||crap... talagang iniinsulto nila ang common sense

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
Here is my blog article on plagiarism posted last September 2013

http://www.manilaspeak.com/rod-vera/plagiarism%E2%80%95an-academic-crime/

Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
wrong thread...sorry folks.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
Here is my blog article on plagiarism posted last September 2013

http://www.manilaspeak.com/rod-vera/plagiarism%E2%80%95an-academic-crime/

Hi Sir Letour! Was at the Copyright event last Saturday.

Was supposed to ask you last Saturday but I was in a hurry so, dito ko nalang itatanong sa 'yo.

There's this writer who took a photo of our group and put it on his book. Although, I think he didn't mean any harm I guess he just wanted to make a point. Kaya lang nilagay nya yung photo ng group namin dun sa negative side ng article nya and it made us look bad. Some of my friends noticed it as well. What do you suggest we do? Should we file a case of infringement on him? Need your opinion.

Thanks!

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
kamusta na kaya si solis?
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
kamusta na kaya si solis?

Malamang thuglife
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2016, 07:23:18 AM »
naghahanap ako online galleries ng mga photos nya kaso wala. muka namang walang camera tong mokong na to eh.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis