hulika

Author Topic: wrong grammar in pinoy rock - LOCKED  (Read 9353 times)

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
wrong grammar in pinoy rock - LOCKED
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:57:14 AM »
im not gonna mention any names para walang ma offend na fans pero....

tagalugin/i-pinoy nyo nalang...hindi lang wrong grammar pero, poor sentence construction, trite imagery, awkward metaphors etc etc

everyone talks about how the world should take pinoy music seriously pero paano kung ganun? mas rerespetuhin pa siguro kung sa wikang pilipino nalang

yeah yeah its only rock and roll but still...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 05:16:00 PM by Anthria »
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: wrong grammar in pinoy rock
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »
Give me a letter K? :D
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:10:33 AM »
hehehe

parang alam ko kung sinong bandang ito a...

I say Give me a letter S?

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
youll never get it out of me :-D

madami men e, manuod lang kayo ng myx  :-(

In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
oooooooooooooohhh

Offline IncX

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »

*lol*

i can only think of VERY VERY few good lyric writers in the mainstream ... here are some:

1.) ely buendia - no need to explain. he is probably so good, that he is just messing around now.
2.) early rico blanco - in the later part he became very vague... he's a smart guy though. his metaphors probably lead to something. or maybe he is just poking fun at the listeners.
3.) bamboo - although i find his topics cheesy and im not into his style, for the sake of "good" lyrics and being objective, i can say he belongs here.
4.) kitchie nadal - hit and miss. this is my "the end?" ... but still, i can tell shes a smart girl
5.) parokya ni edgar song writers (its not just chito, right?) - not into their style, but they are a hell lot funnier than a lot of things i see and hear on pinoy tv. its not easy doing comedy with music behind you.
6.) wolfgang lyric writers (probably wolf and basti?) - good metaphors, good imagination. they make songs with REAL stories behind them. Wurm is a great album.

-*-

fill in the blanks ppl. any mainstream band not included have crappy lyrics, hehehehe

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 01:04:50 PM »
im struggling to find anyone else to add to that list....wala din akong masabi sa lahat ng mga 'yan...those are my choices exactly, particularly ely buendia and rico blanco...yung kitchie nadal "the end" pwede naman e, as in "my closing scene"...besides shes cute :-D

fill in the blanks ppl. any mainstream band not included have crappy lyrics, hehehehe

now youre throwing down the gauntlet  :-D...everyone is free to add to the list pero i justify nyo naman kung baket

english lyrics lang 'to ha, kung sa pilipino napakarami dyan

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 01:54:31 PM »
being an artist they kinda have this unwritten rule that they have artistic license. but yeah even US bands got some bad sentence constructions.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
imago's lyricist are great also, pati na rin si barbie. don't know about session road kasi bad trip ako dun sa isang kanta nila "miss kita, miss kitang makita sa mata...." wtf? san mo pa titignan ang isang tao kundi sa mata diba?
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 05:15:40 PM »
hehehe

sino 'to? :-) hehe

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 05:18:31 PM »
hehehe

Sprite? :D

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »
hehehe

Sprite? :D

sarsi :-D

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
suferman? wahahahah!!!
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline matteotanga

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
hindi ko ma intindihan ung sa IMAGO= abonado ang pag asa taralets..? :?
Steady lang..

Offline K-5

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 07:49:36 PM »

ako rin po hindi ko rin po maintindihan :? ang gulo :|
.                                        "We're coming up starting a whole new generation" - Fieldy

Offline IncX

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 11:39:39 PM »

ako rin po hindi ko rin po maintindihan :? ang gulo :|

there's a reason why i ddnt include imago on my list, hehehe...

as for barbie... oh well, i ddnt include her too, ddnt i? lets just say lyric writing isnt her strongest forte, but shes not really that bad.

lets just say a lot of ppl use the word "artist" as an excuse to not work hard on lyrics ... or just a plain excuse that they really cant write good stuff.

i'll break the being nice part... i know it, you know it:

S = sandwich

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 02:00:50 AM »
Quite a bunch of the bands that tried to break into radio through LA 105.9 back in the day had atrocious grammar (not to mention the awkward enunciation).  I'll be positive and would rather give props to Rizal Underground being one of the bands not yet mentioned that actually had great English language songs.

RE: Barbie's Cradle--that first album was pretty tough to listen to for some songs.  Let's just put it at that.  Music From The Buffet Table was quite the quantum leap in terms of lyrical content though.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 02:09:17 AM »
are we talking about "wrong grammar" or value of lyrics? :roll:

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 03:41:33 AM »

+ 1

i got lost reading through the replies, first i thought it was with the grammar then several posts went on and hit the lyrics meaning....

you can't fault lyricist or the artist putting nothing or everything to the lyrics...it's their take on the music/song they made...

how about butchikik? 5 years by sugar hiccups?lyrics suck?

to each his/her own

grammar is a different thing....we pinoys speak tagalog or whatever dialect so it is our mother tongue....

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 08:59:02 AM »

Ako gets ko :D

And... Tagalog naman yun eh.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:37 AM »

+ 1

i got lost reading through the replies, first i thought it was with the grammar then several posts went on and hit the lyrics meaning....

you can't fault lyricist or the artist putting nothing or everything to the lyrics...it's their take on the music/song they made...

how about butchikik? 5 years by sugar hiccups?lyrics suck?

to each his/her own

grammar is a different thing....we pinoys speak tagalog or whatever dialect so it is our mother tongue....

Wrong analogy man... Butchikik and 5 Years are songs have obvious aural and allegorical intentions...which by the way, are subjectively felt. There are lyrics that are medyo prose-ish, which try to use coherent sentences or phrases to put a message across. In cases like this, errors in sentence construction (and all the chuva in the first post) really stands out.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 09:07:31 AM by inigo »

Offline IncX

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »
Quite a bunch of the bands that tried to break into radio through LA 105.9 back in the day had atrocious grammar (not to mention the awkward enunciation).  I'll be positive and would rather give props to Rizal Underground being one of the bands not yet mentioned that actually had great English language songs.

RE: Barbie's Cradle--that first album was pretty tough to listen to for some songs.  Let's just put it at that.  Music From The Buffet Table was quite the quantum leap in terms of lyrical content though.

i agree. rizal underground made good lyrics with the right grammar.

i posted those bands in terms of good grammar and good, meaningful lyrics. if i only cared about grammar, then i would have cited Kamikazee as one of those bands ...

speaking of kamikazee - judging from the songs "Narda" and "Nasaan ang Tsinelas Ko" - the only songs i heard from them that isnt a parody of another song.... i can say they actually know how to write lyrics... yes, yes, they are shallow, but the grammar and imaginary is enough to call them "not dumb."

Ok, i really dont like them but for the sake of being fair, i think Kamikazee is *shudder* included in the "good lyrics" list. unless some of you who owns their record can prove me otherwise... it would be enlightening :)

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »
I think the topic is subdividing into:

a) Bands/artists who write well, grammatically, and have meaning that will be considered "deep".
b) Bands/artists who write well, grammatically, and are not "deep".
c) Bands/artists who write grammatically flawed lyrics, and this hinders the "deep" meaning they want to convey.
d) Bands/artists who write grammatically flawed lyrics, and the meaning of their songs are on par with the low quality of their lyrical skills.

hehehehhee.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
Sepultura makes a lot of wrong grammar in their lyrics.

Japs make far worse english lyrics.

Offline IncX

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
Sepultura makes a lot of wrong grammar in their lyrics.

Japs make far worse english lyrics.

when i was in HS, i listened to a lot of sepultura... result? my lyrics had things like "my flesh has already rot!" ... my classmate said it should be "rotten - my flesh has already rotten" ... and i said "well, you cant growl on rotten now, could you?"

*lol*

lets not even start with the japanese. im just glad i never heard of japanese death metal or else i would have written things id never look back again.