hulika

Author Topic: most over-rated gear  (Read 31318 times)

Offline kuyaneo

• Forum Fanatic
most over-rated gear
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:56:01 PM »
para sa inyo mga sirs ano ung pina over-rated gear na nakita niyo. may it be pedals, amps guitars or ano. at bakit

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »
Deizel Herbert and Triple Recti!!! Hehehe  :twisted: :lol:

Or this one...

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-boneyard.htm

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
most over-rated gear
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:49:50 PM »
as much as i am an Eddie Van Halen fan, the Artist Series EVH Charvel reissue guitar series is a very overrated guitar. aside from having a striped finish and and offering its owner the bragging rights of wielding a genuine EVH axe, it doesn't offer anything special. wala ngang tone knob or neck pickup e! but don't get me wrong, it sounds great and it's really easy to play. but yun nga, the bottom line is pang-show-off lang ito. kaya ng ibang cheaper guitars ang tone nun. that's why i'm sticking to my bread-and-butter axe, a Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special USA (i'm having it modded right now).

sa pedals, probably the ZVex pedals (aside from the Fuzz Factory, which is one great fuzz stompbox). yeah, they offer new weird sounds and use different transducers/mechanisms (Wah Probe, etc.), ultimately hindi rin halos magagamit yung mga weirdong tunog na nagagawa nung mga yun e. a bit overpriced din just because of custom paintwork.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:53 PM »
Hahaha -- the boneyard is funny because they actually put a "Pedalboard Application" portion which made me go,"Wow, you can REALLY use the guitar pedal board for THAT?!?!?" *rolls eyes* I wonder which smart guy thought THAT up? lol.

I own a Diezel and I like it but my perspective on the Diezel is that it isn't a one-all-end-all amp. I've owned Mesa, Marshalls, VHT, and Soldano too. As much as I love it (the Diesel), I don't get as much fun playing through it without any gain like I do a Fender Twin, or Reverb with just 2 10" speakers. Then again, thats me because I really like playing straight through a clean amp. Besides, if I didn't like the low level gain so much and its harmonics, I would've bought the dam*n thing.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 12:16:52 AM »
lahat ng boutique gears are overrated! yup, i said lahat! nyahahahaha!

Run! Sonny! Run!

hayyy.. sensya na..im having a slow day in the office. :D :P

Offline Kulas

most over-rated gear
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 12:26:33 AM »
sorry to say, for me... PRS, hehe. no offense to the PRS owners. but they do make pretty guitars.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 12:34:19 AM »
Kulas, actually, I do feel the same way. I have a PRS 24, and dont get mw wrong, I love it, but.....I kinda like a Strat with single coil more.

Offline Kulas

most over-rated gear
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 12:39:21 AM »
at the price of a PRS, i'd get me a couple of US strats. or a bunch of MIJ's, hehe.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:20:20 AM »
for me its the DS-1.

i was a victim. lol
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:24:30 AM »
Fender custom shop guitars
Gibson USA guitars
Gibson acoustics, taylor acoustics

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 01:44:12 AM »
Are we talking overrated or overpriced? Though related, they are different.

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
most over-rated gear
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 01:53:31 AM »
Quote from: vaisteen2003
for me its the DS-1.

i was a victim. lol

+1.  :lol:
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline jplacson

most over-rated gear
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 02:08:26 AM »
cumbersome... over-rated... over-priced... same banana... different tree!... hahahaha.

I think if you feel something fits either category, you can mention it here.

over-priced: good, may even be the best, but not worth the money.

over-rated: not as good as claimed to be... may even be the worst.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 02:35:26 AM »
Sir farseer,
What do you think about taylor acoustics all in all? I like some of them just like I like some Martin's. I played some of their high and middle tier guitars but was disappointed that there wasn't as big of a "wow" factor like I anticipated.

However, one such expectation was met when I played the Martin Eric Clapton for the first time. Man, is that guitar sweet! I think the EC Martin handles fingerpicking friendli-ness is its best asset......but at a cost of 3k....uggggh.

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 02:49:40 AM »
I would have to say a lot of the vintage stuff. While some of them may really have that oh-so-elusive vibe, i'd much rather go for a new one with all the refinements of experience and modern technology for the fraction of the cost, as opposed to something that is, simply put, old. Hehehe.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 03:35:15 AM »
Quote from: SDMF
Quote from: vaisteen2003
for me its the DS-1.

i was a victim. lol

+1.  :lol:

i dont know but with all the people ranting over a DS1 i figure im gonna get myeslf one and i did, i even got a new one from the states but when i got home and try in on (figuratively) uhm it wasnt what i was expecting it to be. haaay.

now i have a KORG 1500G and im happy with it. Super happy.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
most over-rated gear
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 04:25:09 AM »
no offense to others that are using this pedal .... a BOSS MT2...bought it, tweaked it (a lot)...i never got what i wanted to hear from it...maybe its just me...hehe 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 05:07:45 AM »
Quote from: haey2
no offense to others that are using this pedal .... a BOSS MT2...bought it, tweaked it (a lot)...i never got what i wanted to hear from it...maybe its just me...hehe 8)  8)  8)

when i first started playing guitar, i got one of those too. needless to say, it was good to get my feet wet with gear but didn't really deliver "the good," shall we say? eventually, i sold it and went on to rely on tube heads for my dirt, and clean tones.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 05:17:09 AM »
over rated? handmade USA guitars.

Offline balakubak33

• Veteran Member
most over-rated gear
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 05:38:21 AM »
Para sakin RAT... ewan ko sobrang dami may gusto, pero ang muddy kaya nya and walang clarity, medyo ngongo eh... based on experience
Stay away from the GAS gods...

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 05:58:45 AM »
ts9 ? mas na tripan ko pa yung digitech bad monkey... opinion ko lang..

re: DS-1 ok naman siya stock.. dami pde gawin. mura pa baka di niyo lang trip tunog.

Offline Avayaman

most over-rated gear
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 07:12:47 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
ts9 ? mas na tripan ko pa yung digitech bad monkey... opinion ko lang..

+1. IMO, the ts9 is good, but overrated. over priced too, i think.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
most over-rated gear
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 07:37:48 AM »
DS-1 Keeley Ultra mod.

...doesn't mean if it works for Steve...it will work for you.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline markflo

most over-rated gear
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 07:52:02 AM »
Quote from: Phil
DS-1 Keeley Ultra mod.

...doesn't mean if it works for Steve...it will work for you.

i have to disagree. that was one of the best pedals i've ever had. and if i could find another one at the price i originally bought it for. i'd get it in a heartbeat.

overrated? hmmm

USA strats...
Diezel...
TS-9...
PRS guitars made in the new factory
certain marshalls
certain fenders

...time to go home...will add more later.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
most over-rated gear
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 07:55:33 AM »
Stratman1,

Have you tried the Herbert?  How long has it been with you...

I believe there are more overrated NON boutique gear than there are overrated boutique gear.

The only reason some people think there are more overrated boutique gear is because most of the time they can only afford one or two.  People tend to lick their wounds because thats all they can afford so most of the time they have to console themselves with what they own.  As far as I am concerned, if your whole chain is made of the best gear in the world -- unfortunately most of them are expensive -- it is a magical experience.  Based on the track record of the so called boutique gear I have been hearing, its a 80% success rate.  By the way, if you dont hear it 8 out of 10 times for boutique stuff, the other parts of your signal chain is surely below the 8 out of 10 times good sounding benchmark.

By the way, I am loosely defining boutique gear as expensive -- waymore so than what people would pay for commercially available accepted brands with endorsements.