hulika

Author Topic: Re: Analog 101  (Read 59702 times)

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Analog 101
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »
sa ebay lang bro lam mo naman walang makukuhanan d2 limited lang mga stuff dito basta bago matapos ang taon meron nako nun.. nasa last sya ng wishlist ng pedals na gusto ko anyways eto yung pag kasunod sinod

1. hughes and kettner replex(digital) <<----kakabayad ko lang
2. emma rf-1
3. small clone chorus
4. mxr phaser EHV
5. ISP decimator

waaaahhhhh na denied yung order ko sa h&K replex lang yang store yun sabi they can ship overseas tapos tablado philippines may bad experience daw sila sa asian countries specially indonesia hay... oh well
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2007, 04:39:28 PM »
Since I have yet to see such a thread, I decided to start one in hopes that newbies would need not to post regarding analog setups. (Maybe a sticky is in order?)

Now, to the meaty stuff:

For starters, you brought yourself into this thread because youre planning to get an analog setup, or maybe an established vet looking to make the move from a processor to analog, or maybe you just want some suggestions. Rgardless of the reason, this thread would serve as a guide toward true analog freedom.

Here are my basic seven rules for going analog:

1. First, check your influences, and have a background of the tone you plan on making. Good tone starts with good knowledge of the tone you're aiming for. For example, know your playing style, are you a soloist? or maybe a riffmeister? Take time to also learn the basic aspects of tone, do you want a bottom-heavy sound? Or maybe a very meaty midrange focus? Or just outright scream mode? These would be good indicators of what you'll need in the long run for your tone-shaping.

2. With number one in mind, start off with a good Dirt (Distortion/Overdrive) pedal. If your going for some clean grit, or mild overdrive, I'd suggest picking up a dedicated overdrive (i.e. SD-1, OD-3, Badmonkey, XTD). If you want that Overdriven sound, but want more dirt you can go along with pedals that have a blend of both (i.e. BD-2, OS-2, Screaming Blues, Bluesbreaker, MXR Dist+). Going into the whole classis rock and rock arena, a good distortion will suit you well (i.e. DS-1, DS-2, Hot Head, Hot Rod). Lastly if your into the whole super-saturated molten metal sound, a metal-tuned distortion will more than tickle your tone fancy (i.e. MT-2, Metal Master, Metal Planet, Doubleshot, Dime Dist, Jackhammer, Crush Zone). Rememberm whilst each pedal can cater to a variety of sounds, they will have a certain sweet spot when it comes to the tone. Like how a screamer would give you a warm bodied tone when run through a clean amp, but can give you insane dirt when used to blast a dirty amp.

3. Of course, there are gray areas in grit; don't stop at just buying one pedal for dirt. Don;t be afraid to mix and match pedals, and learn to experiment. For example, you can use a good OD or Booster to cascade a medium hot distortion (i.e. SD-1+GV-2, or TS808+DS-1 or so on) this will give you more harmonics and add a certain depth an character to your distortion that you cant usually get with just one dirt pedal. Using a good dirt to boost an amp is also a great idea, it will give you a certain amount of harmonic distortion that you otherwise wont get when using an amp, or a dirt pedal alone.

4. Learn to evolve. After building up your dirt, add some dimension by using modulation, reverb and delay. Adding a chorus after your dirt will give you expansive riffing and add depth to your solos. A delay or reverb will add extra dimension to your passages and so on. Also, a Wah can be a good way to add character to your rig, like sweeping a wah to filter out sounds can make for a great effect.

5. Mix and Match, having a few pedals of a certain kind isnt really a bad thing, you can have two choruses and you can cascade them, or switch them out depending on your mood. This will give you more ways to experiment with your tone.

6. Add tweakability, use a compressor, gate and eq to add variations to your tone. A comp can add dynamics to your picking style and add thump to your notes. A gate can add clamping and fast stops to your palm muted progressions, while a eq can give you a boost in your solos or add a second variation to your regular tone.

7. BUDGET yourself, going analog is expensive, but it has its perks like the sound and the ease of use. But always remember to pick out the good from the great. Not because a pedal is the most expensive make it the best. (For example, I use a danelectro FAB chorus in my rig, a cheap chorus, but a wonderful sounding one at that) You'll need to spend time trying out effects to see which sound best, and always weigh your options before buying.

Next, would be how to construct your setup:

1. The chain, otherwise known as the way your pedals are arranged in your grid. As a rule of thumb, dynamics will come first (compressor), followed by a wah, then dirt, then an eq, followed by modulation then time based effects. Stuff like gates can be put after dirt to clamp down chords, or at the END of the chain to use as a noise reduction device. Of course you can change the layout of the pedals to give different sounds, use the above recommendation as a guide only, and dont be afraid to experiment.

2. The power, if your going to assemble a big chain or even a modest chain, a good power supply is a must! (Unless you plan on spending for 9v batteries every so often.)

3. The board, although not completely necessary, a board will help keep your things together and make transport a breeze.

Basically, those are the main points to ponder on when going analog, its a bit involved, but the tone you'll get in the long run will more than just make you feel good you went through all the trouble.

(Others, please do add if you have any suggestions to share.)

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,18346.0.html
Above is the effects Chain thread by Poundcake.

Where is the AMP in your equation?

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »

maybe that involves/needs a separate thread hehe

Offline i_banez

Re: new to effects
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »
nasa list ko na po yung j&h... how bout sa electro harmonix... ano maganda sa kanila?

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
best overdrive  for me Tube Driver
Distortion for heavy stuff  hehehe EMMA rf-1

kung yung mabibili d2 satin

Vox Cooltron is nice
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:36:04 PM by plugzzzz »

Offline ayofish

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2007, 11:24:08 PM »
sir suggestion lng po toh... if u want to a very heavy guitar sound like saosin or bullet for my valentine or whatever..

the best way is to get a boss sd-1 or tube screamer tapos add to a  boss metal zone 2 or boston hm100 or a boston ds100 then add it to an equalizer ( behringer or boston) wag ka mag boss sayang sa pera.then add a chorus pedal ehehhe kaw na bahala mag behringer ka na lng!!! mas mura hehehhe   
tapos boston delay or boss dd3 or dd6
pramis d ka magsisisi

"Practice makes perfect, But no one is perfect so why practice? Because practice makes masters and experts!!!!"

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »
all you need for that kind of music is a metalzone and an EQ. :-) gain-heaven ka na nun.
CHUGCHUG

Offline ayofish

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 11:56:45 PM »
all you need for that kind of music is a metalzone and an EQ. :-) gain-heaven ka na nun.
CHUGCHUG

+1

tama2 plus dnt forget the humbuckers sa bridge position eheheheh ultimate chug chug

pero mas maganda pa pag ipa mod ung mt2 ehhehhe
"Practice makes perfect, But no one is perfect so why practice? Because practice makes masters and experts!!!!"

Offline pipo

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »
CHUGCHUG

+1

tama2 plus dnt forget the humbuckers sa bridge position eheheheh ultimate chug chug

pero mas maganda pa pag ipa mod ung mt2 ehhehhe

wat specific hbucker model sir?hehehe
nipis ksi ng sound ng stock fatstrat pup ko eh.
tnx.... :lol:
1. Do you know for sure that you are going to be with God in Heaven?
2. GOD: “Why should I let you into My Heaven?”
 what would you say?

Offline ayofish

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2007, 12:12:12 AM »
any humbucker model ... kasi sa akin i use the stock washburn humbuckers lng pero naka scalarize guitar ko kaya kumakapal at nagtutunog mahal ung humbucker .. so un no exact model of humbucker hehehe mas mura magpa scalarize eh ehhehe mahirap makakuha ng chug chug na malupit at sakto galing sa single coils eh.. usually manipis ung sound eheehhe

Offline eders19

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2007, 01:51:09 AM »
nasa list ko na po yung j&h... how bout sa electro harmonix... ano maganda sa kanila?

hmm.. personally trip ko yung small clone chorus! simple lang pero maganda. ok din daw yung small stone phaser. kung may cash kas talaga, go for a memory man deluxe analog delay!

with or without you...

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2007, 05:37:38 AM »

Say i have three line signals from the guitar, one is for the tuner, the other for the clean signal and the last would be for dirt.

then i would have two line signals one from dirt and the other clean.

QUESTION:

Should i have two amps for those two out signals? or if i could have both in one amp how can i line those two signals into one?

sorry noob lang sa pedals. :-D
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2007, 06:07:48 AM »

Say i have three line signals from the guitar, one is for the tuner, the other for the clean signal and the last would be for dirt.

QUESTION:

Should i have two amps for those two out signals? or if i could have both in one amp how can i line those two signals into one?

use an AB/ABY switch setup. my board has a similar routing, but i have three signal routes instead (lead tone, dirty rhythm tone, clean tone). just trace the routes of the diagram below (10-band EQ not included yet):

for your application, i suggest you get a BOSS TU-2 to act as both your tuner and signal splitter. set up your routes from the TU-2's two outputs then get an AB switch to recombine both routes into one. remember, use an AB switch and not an ABY switch as both routes are on at the same time and letting both clean and dirty signals run through the output won't sound good.

here's one of the earliest incarnations of my bigger pedalboard. use this as your reference:

from TU-2:
output 1 (clean tone): MXR Dyna Comp >> BOSS CH-1 >> A input of AB switch (i used an ABY before)

output 2 (dirty tone): Ibanez TS-808 >> Maxon D&S II >> BOSS PS-5 >> B input of AB switch

from output of AB switch: E-H Deluxe Memory Man >> amp

for those who want a tri-route setup, you can use my current board as a reference:

here's my actual board setup (included the 10-band EQ/Smart Gate):

route explanation:
i splitted the signal into two from the TU-2 (it has a dual output capability) then connected output 1 to the lead tone route. output 2 is connected to an ABY switch with both A and B routes on, splitting the signal into two again. the last pedals of both clean tone and dirty rhythm tone routes are connected to an AB switch, the switch's output is connected to the Choralflange's input. the Memory Man's Echo output connects to another AB switch's A input and the output of the lead tone route connects to the B input. the second AB switch's output is fed into the Sonic Stomp. there you go, three routes and one output :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:09:42 AM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2007, 06:17:04 AM »
meron din palang ABC switch if you don't want to use the TU-2 + ABY switch setup :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2007, 06:25:08 AM »
meron din palang ABC switch if you don't want to use the TU-2 + ABY switch setup :)

ayun!!! thanks very helpful reply!  :lol:

so bale sa unang split ABC switch at sa dulo to recombine two sigs is an AB switch? tama ba?

hmm. mukhang tama. ahehe. salamat!  :-D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:35:33 AM by progressive_pilipinas »
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2007, 06:36:31 AM »
hmmm, may iba pa namang mga dual output na pedals e.. kung meron kang iba, ok yun. meron ding Y-splitter cables pero di available locally. kung gusto mo, mag-Y splitter ka then magconnect ka ng dual output pedal sa isang output ng Y splitter. sa output 1 nun ka magcoconnect ng route 1 mo, then sa output 2 nung pedal ka magconnect ng tuner mo. gets ba?

eto na lang:

Y-splitter output 1 >> dual output pedal >> route 1 >> AB switch input A
                                                                >> tuner
               output 2 >> route 2 >> AB switch input B

from output of AB switch, pwedeng rekta na sa amp yun or lagay ka pa ng common pedals for both A and B routes.

pero mas madali yung TU-2 + ABY switch kung closed routes ang kelangan mo. pero since tuner lang yung third route mo, kahit hanging na lang yun ayos na yun :)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »

I just don't get it.  After reading that novel from the original post, it didn't even mention ANYTHING about matching dirt pedals with particular amps.  Ever wondered why fuzz pedals aren't that famous in the country?  It's because majority of Pinoy giggers don't bring a tube amp, and fuzz pedals work best with tube amps, cranked preferably. 

The thread title "Analog 101" suggests a very educational approach to setting up your signal chain.  But by merely discrediting the amp in your signal chain nullifies the whole idea of setting up your pedalboard.  Assuming you're a gigging musician with no amp, I would bet that even with a P50,000 pedal set-up, you cannot get consistent tone as your goal becomes a moving target. 

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »

I just don't get it.  After reading that novel from the original post, it didn't even mention ANYTHING about matching dirt pedals with particular amps.  Ever wondered why fuzz pedals aren't that famous in the country?  It's because majority of Pinoy giggers don't bring a tube amp, and fuzz pedals work best with tube amps, cranked preferably. 

The thread title "Analog 101" suggests a very educational approach to setting up your signal chain.  But by merely discrediting the amp in your signal chain nullifies the whole idea of setting up your pedalboard.  Assuming you're a gigging musician with no amp, I would bet that even with a P50,000 pedal set-up, you cannot get consistent tone as your goal becomes a moving target. 

You know, thats not such a bad idea. Ill get to the amp equation pretty soon.

Haha
Get Wylde.

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »
Heres another tip I remembered after talking to a guitarist friend of mine and seeing his board.

Get a CLONE!

Sometimes, when you really want a certain sound but cant find/afford/buy the pedal you want, go and look for a clone.

Just like how the behringer and boston boxes clone Boss and other pedals.

Some are flukes, but many are diamonds in the rough!
Get Wylde.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2007, 05:16:28 PM »

QUESTION:

use an AB/ABY switch setup. my board has a similar routing, but i have three signal routes instead (lead tone, dirty rhythm tone, clean tone). just trace the routes of the diagram below (10-band EQ not included yet):

for your application, i suggest you get a BOSS TU-2 to act as both your tuner and signal splitter. set up your routes from the TU-2's two outputs then get an AB switch to recombine both routes into one. remember, use an AB switch and not an ABY switch as both routes are on at the same time and letting both clean and dirty signals run through the output won't sound good.

here's one of the earliest incarnations of my bigger pedalboard. use this as your reference:

from TU-2:
output 1 (clean tone): MXR Dyna Comp >> BOSS CH-1 >> A input of AB switch (i used an ABY before)

output 2 (dirty tone): Ibanez TS-808 >> Maxon D&S II >> BOSS PS-5 >> B input of AB switch

for those who want a tri-route setup, you can use my current board as a reference:

route explanation:
i splitted the signal into two from the TU-2 (it has a dual output capability) then connected output 1 to the lead tone route. output 2 is connected to an ABY switch with both A and B routes on, splitting the signal into two again. the last pedals of both clean tone and dirty rhythm tone routes are connected to an AB switch, the switch's output is connected to the Choralflange's input. the Memory Man's Echo output connects to another AB switch's A input and the output of the lead tone route connects to the B input. the second AB switch's output is fed into the Sonic Stomp. there you go, three routes and one output :)

wow. galing nito ah. teka does that mean ang nag ccontrl lanng isa ung ABY switch mo and naka on lang lahat ung pedals mo???
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »
No, his switching is like a channel switch.

He has two channels, his clean and his dirt channel. plus one into the tuner
Get Wylde.

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

QUESTION:

from TU-2:

route explanation:

hehehe kaya mas idol nakita kesa kay turi kaw paring ang PEDAL GAS GOD ng philmusic mabuhay ka

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »
No, his switching is like a channel switch.

He has two channels, his clean and his dirt channel. plus one into the tuner

three channels sya actually.. lead tone, dirty rhythm tone, clean. but for the one with the Morley switch, yeah clean and dirty channel route switching yun.

hehehe kaya mas idol nakita kesa kay turi kaw paring ang PEDAL GAS GOD ng philmusic mabuhay ka

oy wala pang nagbabagong pedal since nabuo ko yung board na yan noh.. kaya di GAS god yun hehe!

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2007, 10:19:33 PM »
God, by god you mean Zeus?

With a board like his he must have huge shoulders!

Hahaha
Get Wylde.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »
hahaha... my board's about the size of leech's board. Turi's board is a bit bigger but mas ayos ang gawa kasi may handles pa sa sides :)

palitan na ang GT-8 ng analog modulation peds, pareng Turi! baka may kelangan kang pabili, baka dumaan akong Amp Shop or Mesa Boogie Hollywood :)