hulika

Author Topic: Tube Practice Amps  (Read 2244 times)

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
Tube Practice Amps
« on: May 10, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »
Have any of you guys checked out the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal Guitar Amp? A bit steep for $500 but looks interesting.

Any other practice amp of the like that you know of? Pang bedroom practice levels lang.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 04:18:25 PM by legato »

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tube Practice Amps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:54:35 PM »
epiphone valve jr.

fender blues jr

peavey classic 20

crate VC5

all fairly reasonably priced

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »
peavey valveking 112
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:57:06 PM »
I just got a victoria 518. Tweed champ clone. Amazing amp for LP or strat style guitars. Best part.. i got it used for 400. :D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 05:12:26 PM »
Classic20 is ok single channel cranked up baby!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline mugen

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »

Ibanez Valbee, maayos kaya..?? :?
$175 dito....

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
Yes, the valbee is a great practice. But lacks the size (6.5" speaker lang)
Get Wylde.

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:40:35 PM »
rage amp! ay sori tube pala

peavey classic 30 ako hehehe
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:40:57 PM »
+1 sa blues jr!
but don't be deceived by the size! :lol:

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 08:51:15 PM »
A tube amp is supposedly best appreciated, and its best tonal characteristics heard, when pushed/cranked into natural overdrive. If practice/ bedroom volume level is the desired maximum limit, then I guess we should be looking into 5-8-10w tube amps.  Perhaps an old 8w Fender Champ... or the Jester Oahu would serve well.

Even the 15w Peavey Classic 20 is barely tolerable to unfriendly neighbors if you are an apartment dweller like me.

I'm very interested to hear the Peavey ValveKing when adjusted to run at 10w

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »
A tube amp is supposedly best appreciated, and its best tonal characteristics heard, when pushed/cranked into natural overdrive. If practice/ bedroom volume level is the desired maximum limit, then I guess we should be looking into 5-8-10w tube amps.  Perhaps an old 8w Fender Champ... or the Jester Oahu would serve well.

Even the 15w Peavey Classic 20 is barely tolerable to unfriendly neighbors if you are an apartment dweller like me.

Good point.

According to the press release though:

"The JSX Mini Colossal combines a 12AX7 preamp tube and an EL84 power tube in a class-A topology that has no negative feedback. The new Peavey-exclusive Power Sponge™ output attenuator continuously adjusts the power output of the amplifier from 5 watts to 0 watts while maintaining the distortion characteristics of the class-A power amp at any volume level."

This needs to be checked if true. I have doubts pero still wanted to know kung ano reviews. Wala pa kong nakita so far.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:09:05 PM by legato »

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »
meron ako valveking 112 yung combo pag sineset ko siya sa class B malakas pa rin eh parang useless, medyo napapisip nga ako na baka sira yung feature na yun ng valveking ko. usually kung mag gitara ako guitar and amp lang if ever may stomp yung digitech bad monkey lang.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:11:38 PM by bugoy »

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »

does this mean that it's not advisable to run pedals thru a tube amp? or say heavy sounding dirt pedals? will it damage it?

i read kasi na pedals especially dirt pedals sound better on tube amps

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:49:39 AM »

+ :-)

the fender blues jr is one loud amp when cranked.... baka pro jr nalang pag pang practice... i think the guys at fender have a new 5 watt amp... check it out

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »
A tube amp is supposedly best appreciated, and its best tonal characteristics heard, when pushed/cranked into natural overdrive. ...

does this mean that it's not advisable to run pedals thru a tube amp? or say heavy sounding dirt pedals? will it damage it?

i read kasi na pedals especially dirt pedals sound better on tube amps

Hmmmm... there's lots more qualified people than me to answer that, but since no one has chimed in yet...

Now that you put pedals into the mix, the common practice is to set your amp's vol and gain controls somewhere near or at the point where the clean tone is just about to break up into overdrive/distortion, then use your overdrive pedal/s to push your sound "over the edge", so to speak... tapos use your guitar's volume control to back off into the clean tone zone...

I don't believe amps can be damaged by pedals , as long as you don't set all your controls to max.

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 11:48:07 AM »
veggie.

Your right pedals wont be dammaged by a tube amp.

Anyhow... there is no rule of thumb when getting a tube amp for practice. I currently use an 30watter for practice. I dont have to push it to get a killer sound coz i like alot of headroom ... plus the dirty channel of my amp is good enough.

There is a really nice thing about small tube amps though. 1st they get that natural tube overdrive thats awesome... but not all work good with pedals. 2nd they are so light and easy to bring around. Less than 15lbs yung champ. It really depends on your situation. I gig with a 5watter at times miced because i like how it sounds. Of course the drummer usually kills me but .. its there. There are big 5 watters too and they can be plugged into 4x12's for some serious volume.

Basicaly you can get whatever amp you like. Personally I prefer smaller amps for practice coz i dont like being too loud and i like that mild overdrive. If you want metal..youll have to stick a good dirt pedal infront of it to make it sound good. The one thing i look for in small amps is good bass response and crisp highs. I find it really important coz the tone shaping tools in these 5 watters are very limited and if you wanna do chuga chug metal ... bakamabitin ka.

Ive tried the new fender (champion 600) I bought it ... used it for a week and sold it because it wasnt that great. 6" lang yung speaker so bitin yung bass. It did sound good though.. and for 200 dollars / 9850 pesos. Sobrang good deal siya. I would think its much better than the valve junior. At the end of it all though i ended up with the victoria 518 champ clone. Is much more expensive (800bucks / 40k) yung price but if you can afford it why not. ... if you cant the 600 is good enough. But honestly ... at these prices get a classic 20 nalang... para ma gig mo pa.

BTW the champion 600 is NOT GIGGABLE AT ANY LEVELS. Its just as loud as your typical car stero.

The old tweed champs are giggable and can fill a small room easily. (thats another reason i kept the 518... problema is 110 siya so kailangan my txformer ako palagi)... (oh well the things we do for our sound). :D

Btw.. if any of you guys are in makati... ill be sessioning for a band in magallianes wed next week. Drop me a pm if you wanna come by.. ill be using my 5watter and the VG strat. First gig with the VG ... nakakabahan ako... hahha.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:49:47 AM by vhunter »

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »

$175 dito....

$175 dito....

ive tried one in ap boni... and i sure dont wana waste my money on that. looks cute though.

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 12:26:55 PM »
i actually got to get a few useable tones from it.  :-D mahal nga lang.

Offline deadlifted

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 12:45:03 PM »
IMHO depende sa tugtugan yun kung ano dapat yung wattage ng tube practice amp. nabasa ko sa mga posts here yung clean on the verge of break up tube tone, then overdrive it with a pedal. if that's the tone you want, then smaller wattage talaga ang kelangan. but if you play metal like me, pinaka importante ang clean headroom sa lahat. tutal most metal players naman dito rely on pedals to get that chugga-chugga sound instead of using the amp's own drive. kaya kahit 60W yung amp ko, at ear splitting yung lakas niya when cranked, daig pa yung 120W SS amp ko dati :lol: pero pag hatinggabi na, i can get the same tone kasi naka-pedal naman ako to get my chug-chug sound, mga 0.5-1 na lang yung master volume. hehe.
proud owner of Max Rufo custom guitars. call (02) 4427908