hulika

Author Topic: Your desired tone on your archtop  (Read 2286 times)

william251082

Your desired tone on your archtop
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:03:12 AM »
For me: Bright and crispy like this

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your desired tone on your archtop
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:34:33 AM »
.....the more nice tones I can get out of it... clean or od.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline nineworkz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:51:59 AM »
weird pero ganto trip ko sa semihollow/archtop ko:

MIDrangey, high gain, noisy feedbacky (with drive and mod effects)

pero pag i switch to clean (usually both pickups on) i like it to
be sparkly clean...i try to emulate the 2nd or 4th position ng strat,
not as cool and out of phasey sound pero thats what i want (sana)
madalas i get that tone depende where exactly i pick the strings...

rock oN!

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »
I like this.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=27Maj4THXW4

And I can get quite close (or so I think) on my cheapo AF75 Artcore with Kent Armstrong P90's. :lol:

william251082

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
Sa semi hollow ganito desired tone ko!

feature=PlayList&p=102376F03478E4CD&index=16

feature=PlayList&p=102376F03478E4CD&index=57

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
So far, between P90s on my Gibson ES225TD (a thinline guitar) and the floating mini humbucker on my Epiphone Emperor Regent, I have to say Ijust love the P90s sound more... 
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 02:15:32 AM »
For me: Bright and crispy like this

how do you suppose you will achieve the modern benson tone?
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

william251082

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 03:36:54 AM »
how do you suppose you will achieve the modern benson tone?
Hindi ko naman trip gayahin ng sobra sobra ang tone nya eh, my personal preference din akong iba. And much of his tone is in his fingers, i mean lahat ng pagkaka-articulate sa note malinaw, really playing what he wanted to hear. Anyway, magkahalong Fender deville at polytone ang gamit nyang amp dyan. At syempre with the help ng mga magagaling na sound engineer.

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 04:39:37 AM »
Hindi ko naman trip gayahin ng sobra sobra ang tone nya eh, my personal preference din akong iba. And much of his tone is in his fingers, i mean lahat ng pagkaka-articulate sa note malinaw, really playing what he wanted to hear. Anyway, magkahalong Fender deville at polytone ang gamit nyang amp dyan. At syempre with the help ng mga magagaling na sound engineer.

Much of his sound comes from his fingers. GB can play whatever he wants to hear because of his incredible technique. You can have expensive gears and hire the best sound engineers to tweak your sound but still will not sound like Benson because of poor technique.

Me, I'm more inclined to the early Benson tone. Mas madali din kopyahin yun.  :-D
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

william251082

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:56:33 AM »
On a professional level, technique, musicality, sound/tone etc. are equally important, nothing is more impotant than the other. For a hobbyist/bedroom musician it doesn't really matter.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:02:35 AM by william251082 »

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
man, hard to decide.

there's a special place in my heart for that metheny/mclaughlin processed chorused tone, but when i think about it, some of my fave jazzers got nice round tones from solidbodies at some point, like martino and ed bickert.

but lately, i've been enjoing lage lund's sound, very acoustic sounding and almost bare naked coz you can hear the sparkle in the high strings, and the windings in the lower, makes for lush chords.

when i had an archtop, it was either tone close to rolled off or full bore on the neck pick up, and got the chorused sound from deacon blue's ibanez dcf-10 (man, steve kahn uses the same thing, score one if you can find one! heres an interview link describing what it can do http://www.allaboutjazz.com/iviews/skhan2.htm ) and an sd-1 if i wanted slight horny dirt.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »
Mala Norman Brown or Benson din....   :-D

The dragon has put out my fire.

william251082

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 09:05:06 AM »
Mala Norman Brown or Benson din....   :-D
Wow scofield ung picture! next week mapapanood ko na sya yehey!!!

william251082

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »
Eto pa favorite kong tone! ang lutong ng low notes at ang taba ng high notes mmmm :-)
feature=related

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
benson and wes...

using your fingers instead of a pick will get you some if not most of their tones as wes is known for using his thumb exclusively for solos.

@william, di ko alam na gumagamit sya ng deville. at least i have one component na.

settings ko nagvavary sa amp. 3-5 ang bass ko, mids are 50% then treble can be 50% pataas same as presence.

inaadjust ko na lang depende sa talas ng tone...syempre ayaw ko ng masyadong matalas.

neck pickup lang ako for solos, neck-bridge for rhythm....i rarely go to the bridge pup...minsan cguro pag tinoyo.

hollowbody yung sakin...ibby na artcore, poor man's es 175 :lol:...but im happy naman.

oh, flatwound strings over .011 will give you that slick, smooth tone. :wink:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

william251082

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
benson and wes...

using your fingers instead of a pick will get you some if not most of their tones as wes is known for using his thumb exclusively for solos.

@william, di ko alam na gumagamit sya ng deville. at least i have one component na.

settings ko nagvavary sa amp. 3-5 ang bass ko, mids are 50% then treble can be 50% pataas same as presence.

inaadjust ko na lang depende sa talas ng tone...syempre ayaw ko ng masyadong matalas.

neck pickup lang ako for solos, neck-bridge for rhythm....i rarely go to the bridge pup...minsan cguro pag tinoyo.

hollowbody yung sakin...ibby na artcore, poor man's es 175 :lol:...but im happy naman.

oh, flatwound strings over .011 will give you that slick, smooth tone. :wink:
Wow! buti ka pa may deville ka :-o Sana makaipon na ko, blackface ang pinag-iipunan ko eh, after 2 years meron na ko nun.

Sa interview dito sinabi nya ung amp nya, http://www.allaboutjazz.com/iviews/gbenson.htm
at dun sa video sa youtube kitang kita naman ung amp eh 4x10 na deville na may katabing polytone.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »
hotrod deville naman ang sakin.

pero yung clean channel lang naman ang ginagamit ko dahil mahilig ako sa stompbox na overdrive pag gusto ko ang ganong tunog.

i confirmed this with an amp builder here sa san pedro, and yes magkapareho ang channel ng hot rod dev sa blues deville.

and besides, a fender is a fender...is a fender.... they're all similar..all spankingly clean...to my ears lang naman...
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

william251082

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »
hotrod deville naman ang sakin.

pero yung clean channel lang naman ang ginagamit ko dahil mahilig ako sa stompbox na overdrive pag gusto ko ang ganong tunog.

i confirmed this with an amp builder here sa san pedro, and yes magkapareho ang channel ng hot rod dev sa blues deville.

and besides, a fender is a fender...is a fender.... they're all similar..all spankingly clean...to my ears lang naman...
Trip na trip ko din ang fender clean eh, kaya blackface ang gusto ko eh, walang od channel, hindi ko naman kasi kailngan ang distortion ng fender eh. Na-try ko na yata lahat ng fender tube amp sa music store, wala lang pambili. :-D Ngayon oks pa naman ako sa pro junior ko.

Oks na oks yung tone mo dun sa youtube na kasama mo si perf ah, yun ba yung hotrod deville?