hulika

Author Topic: Behringer Ultra G GI100 Questions  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
Behringer Ultra G GI100 Questions
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
2 weeks ago I bought a Behringer Ultra G GI100 DI box with the intention of recording through a mixer without a speaker cabinet for my Orange Micro Terror...
Havent tried it out yet kasi bukod sa busy I still needed an XLR cable to connect it to my mixer (got it yesterday)
Kagabi, nagbasa ako ng manual nya and I realized that hindi pala kasing simple ng nasa isip ko yung set up
Beginner ako sa recording and the difference between speaker cables and instrument cables was new to me, lalo na nun napadpad ako sa topic ng dummy load..ano daw??
Long story short, gusto ko sana guitar>pedal board>micro terror>GI100>mixer pero gusto ko makasigurado na safe yun set up ko and wala ako masisirang equipment.
From my amp's speaker output to GI100's input kelangan ba talaga speaker cable and any suggestions on a cheap alternative for a dummy load?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Behringer Ultra G GI100 Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
Dummy loads are hard to come by so you would need to build one.

Best approach is to put the DI in then FX loop so you don't run into these problems. That way you still get the preamp tone of the microterror going into the the cab sim'd direct out of the behringer box.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Dummy loads are hard to come by so you would need to build one.

Best approach is to put the DI in then FX loop so you don't run into these problems. That way you still get the preamp tone of the microterror going into the the cab sim'd direct out of the behringer box.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input sir. my amp doesn't have an FX loop though :oops:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
use the headphone out from the microterror. you can plug this into the DI. IMHO tho, you don't need the DI because the headphone out is already of a workable level. using the DI just introduces more avenues for signal loss (ie. due to the capacitance of cables, poor quality transformers in the DI)

another suggestion is, why not use a VST Guitar Suite instead? I think you'd get better tones and flexibility with that kind of setup. (guitar >>> pedalboard >>> mixer >>> VST Guitar Suite like Amplitube or BiasFX)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »
use the headphone out from the microterror. you can plug this into the DI. IMHO tho, you don't need the DI because the headphone out is already of a workable level. using the DI just introduces more avenues for signal loss (ie. due to the capacitance of cables, poor quality transformers in the DI)

another suggestion is, why not use a VST Guitar Suite instead? I think you'd get better tones and flexibility with that kind of setup. (guitar >>> pedalboard >>> mixer >>> VST Guitar Suite like Amplitube or BiasFX)

As i dug deeper into this topic I realized that the DI is actually quite redundant for what I'm trying to achieve so my brother would probably use it instead.

Regarding VST Guitar Suite, I'll check that out. Would that option also work in a full band live recording setup?

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
As i dug deeper into this topic I realized that the DI is actually quite redundant for what I'm trying to achieve so my brother would probably use it instead.

Regarding VST Guitar Suite, I'll check that out. Would that option also work in a full band live recording setup?

yes, its a little redundant. its only advised if you're running lots of long cables, or if you're recording a bass.

and yes, the VST Guitar Suite will work best for recording situations. most of the tracks I've recorded in studios tend to use the VST Guitar Suite method nowadays (these include some songs in the airwaves). no hassles of mic placement and volume issues eh. its like drawing on a blank piece of paper, with options to undo/redo effects.

hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha