hulika

Author Topic: F-M Thread: Waaaaah! I didn't think I missed so much action!  (Read 11456 times)

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
Re: F-M Thread: Waaaaah! I didn't think I missed so much action!
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
contemplating on joining the HC forum,but that would take away my time from the Britney Spears forum.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »
let's start a pod thread on that forum then...
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
Newsflash to all of us ignorant katutubong orcs:

Grima Wormtongue has announced that the 3rd Annual Convention of the Katutubong Orcs Recording Association will be held on October 5-6 at the Main Conference Hall of the newly rebuilt and refurbished Isengard. 

On Day 1, Grima Wormtongue will discuss the sorry state of the local katutubong orcs recordings and how much of it is due to ignorance and preference for whatever tool works, instead of the most expensive and elitist. He will demonstrate this by playing his idol's recordings and sharing his postings on tubes vs modelers at international forums.  He will also conduct a breakout session on Day 2 on some best practices in trolling at local forums where katutubong orcs usually post.

On Day 2, Saruman himself will address all of us regarding the state of the art in tone: how much more money tone is now worth (minimum of $4k), and how elusive it is to us katutubong orcs with our non-US, non-custom made gear.  He will also discuss a new topic on "gear character": how a gear with character plays itself, would give you hard-on, and give you ultimate tonal bliss and blow away everything else made by man... or otherwise.

RSVP and please come in business attire.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 12:09:35 PM »

let me get this right, dodjie, did you just call us ignorant?  and yourself  "educated"?

Hey Dojie!

ang punto rito eh hindi POD VS AMP pero ang pag DODOWN MO SA MGA KAPWA mong nag papractice ng audio engineering!

balikan natin ang post naman ni Joric

5. A Filipino recording engineer who keeps putting down the quality of local recordings (and therefore of local recording engineers) should himself be beyond reproach. Either he is one of the best recording engineers in the country, or is himself an internationally recognized recording engineer offering his comments on local recordings.  Ika nga, it ain't bragging if you can back it up.  Otherwise, STFU. 

Pasensya na KiTC pero SOBRA SOBRA NA eh.

AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER!

kung ano ka dito sa forums eh pinakita mo rin yung sobrang kakitiran ng utak mo at kawalang MODO mo nung EB kina shinji at eto ka na naman!

ETO HINDI LANG NAPAPAGUSAPAN DITO SA FORUMS  pero kami kami pinaguusapan namin yung kakupalan na ginawa mo kay Hazel nung gabing yun. you picked on a girl para sabhin na "may client na pumunta sayo dahil hindi gusto ang gawa nya..... tsktsk tsk Nasaan ang profesyonalismo mo dun! Umayos ka ng maige Igan!

Kahit ang pag post ko ng ito at reveal sa publiko tong ugali mong taglay na ito ay di pagiging isang propesyonal...

At alam ko ang pag post ko nito ay magpapababa lang ako sa lebel mo na di na dapat kang patulan pa

tsk tsk tsk
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
FOR THE RECORD:
i TOTALLY, 100%, to the nth degree agree that amps are far superior in many ways to modellers. who in his/her right mind would dispute this?? no argument there

these quotes from HC illustrate the real reasons why people object to your posts:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters
That's because you say things like "PODs aren't for serious recording" instead of just stating your opinion. If you don't want to piss people off, learn to be articulate without being inflammatory in what you say.

Originally Posted by AtarisPunk29
I'm acting the same way I always act. Maybe I didn't realize it until the last month, but have you checked out Skunky's threads from the last month or two that he's started? Most of them take classic troll form.

They're framed like a "simple question from the unknowing" and then state a huge presumption in a way that's guaranteed to get some people's feathers seriously rustled and then he plays dumb through the whole thread.

Originally Posted by skunky_funk:
No I don't like trolling. It's just that some poor folks I know think that tubes make a marginal difference over digital when recording hence they think my view of tube amps being superior is ridiculous. And whenever I preach that, they get pissed off.

how condescending can you possibly get :? and who the hell would say that a claim that tube amps are superior is ridiculous?? hint: that claim is not why people are pissed off

i think you are actually missing my point, which was very adequately covered by deltaslim:

Originally Posted by deltaslim
3.  If the record engineer keeps preaching and pursuing authentic tone of a tube amp but does not have the tube amp in his arsenal for his clients, well he is just showing off his awareness of the existence and supposed merits of high-end stuff, not necessarily his skill in getting better tone out of them than a studio offering modelers.

4.  Some people are after getting the job done at least cost.  These people are focused on achieving results -- good recorded music, period.  Some people are more focused on enjoying the journey, exercising predilection for expensive gear in the recording process, etc. These people are tone snobs, the 'tone-is-in-the-wallet' variety.  They're more concerned about being able to brag that they used so and so expensive gear in the recording more than the power of the music itself.

5. A Filipino recording engineer who keeps putting down the quality of local recordings (and therefore of local recording engineers) should himself be beyond reproach. Either he is one of the best recording engineers in the country, or is himself an internationally recognized recording engineer offering his comments on local recordings.  Ika nga, it ain't bragging if you can back it up.  Otherwise, STFU.

youre obviously an intelligent person skunky, i dont understand how youre not getting the point :?

im not into this whole ganging up thing, so im gonna bow out like hazel in spite of your efforts to make personal attacks against me, but think about how many people youve managed to offend both here and on HC and perhaps think about the real reason why? clue: its not because we're all ignorant, deluded by marketing hype or poor
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 12:17:21 PM »
Hey Dojie!

ang punto rito eh hindi POD VS AMP pero ang pag DODOWN MO SA MGA KAPWA mong nag papractice ng audio engineering!

balikan natin ang post naman ni Joric

Pasensya na KiTC pero SOBRA SOBRA NA eh.

AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER!

kung ano ka dito sa forums eh pinakita mo rin yung sobrang kakitiran ng utak mo at kawalang MODO mo nung EB kina shinji at eto ka na naman!

ETO HINDI LANG NAPAPAGUSAPAN DITO SA FORUMS  pero kami kami pinaguusapan namin yung kakupalan na ginawa mo kay Hazel nung gabing yun. you picked on a girl para sabhin na "may client na pumunta sayo dahil hindi gusto ang gawa nya..... tsktsk tsk Nasaan ang profesyonalismo mo dun! Umayos ka ng maige Igan!

Kahit ang pag post ko ng ito at reveal sa publiko tong ugali mong taglay na ito ay di pagiging isang propesyonal...

At alam ko ang pag post ko nito ay magpapababa lang ako sa lebel mo na di na dapat kang patulan pa

tsk tsk tsk

aaaayyy... that's so foul on many levels. 

at least consistent si dodjie.  pang forum na, sa totoong buhay pa!

tsk tsk tsk talaga....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:18:49 PM by deltaslim »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
Hay nako, skunk, it seems you value HC forumers opinions more than ours, then this is as unbiased as it gets, in THEIR WORDS:

from James Peters:

"I'm being flamed by a local forum because I said PODS AREN'T FOR SERIOUS

RECORDING

That's because it's an ignorant statement, or at best a "strong personal opinion not based in fact". It certainly isn't the truth because I've heard quite a few recordings which sounded nice with a POD used in them. It's not just
the device (amp, POD, whatever) used, but the production process in general that determines how the mix will sound. If it works, it works. And to be honest I'd rather use a POD for recordings than quite a few amps (some of which are well-liked on this forum too).

If you want to pontificate further, refer to the list of recording artists that have used PODs, Amp Farm or Flextones for their albums. I may not be fond of Lenny Kravitz for instance, and I might've chosen a tube amp to record in the studio if I were in his shoes, but it seems that didn't stop the album "5" from selling literally millions of copies. That's about as serious as serious gets for albums, when it comes right down to it."

Then there's this reply by Hegmatronicon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunky_funk View Post
I said, the convenience of technology can corrupt the discipline of finding one's perfect tone.

Welcome to spending too much time on HCAF and not enough time jamming.

Finding ones perfect tone.....a discipline? Says who?
I will agree that a lot of ppl are lazy and will use things like the POD's etc to save on trying to dial in the amp and get mic positions right etc BUT good tone is good tone, regardless of how it's obtained. I just think the statement kinda comes off very snobbish.

Apparently, you gloss over those whose statements conflict with your preferences.

Then you post this:

"Originally Posted by skunky_funk
View Post
Help. I'm making stuff up so I can stir the pot on digital recording!"

Oh, that does wonders for your credibility, not only here, but also at HC. Does that mean that most of your posts are made up? Btw, you record digitally to a DAW, IIRC.

And what's this in your post about "digital hissing"? Explain to me how you put up your gain structure. In ANY, and I mean ANY, electrical circuit that amplifies a weak signal, there will ALWAYS be noise. The rushing of electrons through a wire or component WILL create noise that we perceive as hiss. Certain amp configurations and certain components can reduce that hiss if properly designed and selected.

the fact that 11 out of 14 persons answered YES to the poll question "Am I hallucinating when I say I HEAR DIGITAL HISSING WITH GUITAR RIG HIGH GAIN  SOUNDS"  ?

And just who are these 11? Did they elaborate their signal chain? More importantly, did they have a COMMON signal chain, same audio interface, same guitar, same gain settings, same ampsim software... if need be, did they conduct their test in the same studio? Remember, high gain WILL AMPLIFY any noise. If you want to hear what digital noise your converters are adding, raise the gain on the your converter's inputs without anything connected, record a few seconds and then apply gain on the recorded wavefile in your editor. THAT is your audio interface's amplifier circuit noise before the A/D. Everytime you raise the gain on that input, that is what you add to your recording. Next add your guitar, preamps, and maybe fx or whatnot but don't play anything... don't even touch it. Then record a few seconds. That is what your external gear is adding to the mix. If this is the digital noise that your hear, i.e., hiss, then surprise, surprise! It's all analog. Digital quantizing noise isn't hiss, it's very different, but recognizable if you KNOW what to look for.

Why aren't all amps made so that they have minimal hiss? Because then they would all be BOUTIQUE AMPS. Everything is manufactured to a cost ceiling which is intended to be affordable to certain percentages of the entire demography. If
everything is all boutique, guess how long before a company closes shop. There's this thing about cost efficiency which seems to elude you since it's not only limited to the end user, but to equipment manufacturers as well.

What I find insulting is how little respect you have for your fellow musicians, engineers and producers here, how you seem to treat guitarists who use ampsims with disdain, while putting a lot of value on HC forumer's opinions. Granting that some HC regulars might be professionals in the foreign music biz, there are seasoned veterans posting here at MTPA as well, and we should be thankful that they choose to share their knowledge and experiences, which should be legendary since they created recordings which have stood the test of time. Apparently, you don't put our local professionals in high regard. Tsk, tsk, skunk, such knowledge you possess, but such waste.

This is my last word on this. If any flaming erupts, this thread will be locked.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2007, 12:19:09 PM »
Whoooaaahhhhh its laundry time!!!!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »
Just one question for you all experienced folks... How often do you use amp sims vs. amps to make a valid observation that amps sims are just as good/better/worse than amps?  90% amp, 10% POD?  80-20? 70-30? 60-40? 0-100?

I can't say for sure because I always start with a 50/50 perspective when I choose tones for a recording project, and in retrospect, I can say that I've used both equally as much. It depends on the tone I am looking for. For some songs a modeller sound sits better than a miked sound and vice versa, thats all. This debate doesn't need to be an issue of what is "better" because, really, they are all tools and generalizing the usage of one as a poor option in making music reduces the amount of tools you have at your disposal when you should be expanding your options and experimenting.

Now, I don't know what your beef with amp sims accomplishes or what your argument is because I find it paradoxical to assume that you don't like amp sims when you just said,"there are other ways to achieve better tones in a serious recording project. " I mean, what other ways are there? There are only two ways to produce electric guitar sounds if you think about it - amped or not amped (amp sim). What OTHER way are you talking about?

All of us idolize producers which have made some really good records, this is natural. How can you imply that the people in Philmusic don't idolize the same people you mentioned and not KNOW what good records sound like? Cut us some slack, man. It ain't like we can't buy the same records you listen to! The very reason why Philmusic exists is due to the fact that people here idolize great musicians and producers enough to want to learn how to become better at their craft whether it is musicianship or producing records. Mind you, some of the people on here are older than you are, more experience than you are and, in some cases, have even played the musician/ sessionist/ producer/ remixer part professionally. What makes you think we don't look up to some great musicians and producers to inspire us to become better at our craft? I would be careful with the generalizations if I were you - some of the folks on here are full blown professionals at what they do and have the studio space, the clientele, the connections and the song writing credits to show for it.

All in all: tools are tools and I am open to the use of amp sims as much as amps because the use of particular products are dictated by the requirement of a song. Sometimes amps work better, sometimes they don't, its that simple. You are making a mountain out of a molehill and generalizing a simple concept which shouldn't be so hard to understand.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:34:12 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
hey.... i just had lunch. what's all this? did i almost miss the action again?
============
Marvin Querido

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2007, 12:40:16 PM »
hey.... i just had lunch. what's all this? did i almost miss the action again?

marv, a lot has transpired since I had lunch too...grab som popcorn!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »
yeah. popcorn might be good. i didn't enjoy lunch. it was like i was eating my slippers...
============
Marvin Querido

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
guys lets face it, skunky is too smart, sa sobrang talino nya di na nia naiisip ung mga simpleng bagay, haaaaaayz my ganun talagang tao...
skunk payo ko lang relax lang, do your thing and we do our thing...
honestly im not as "educated" as you, but your attitude pissed me off like everyone else...

if u want respect, give respect yun lang un skunk, matalino ka naman eh,
try to think first if makakaoffend ka before you actually say it..

wala ako sa tamang position para magyabang or anything,
but let me just spill it out and ask you.

ilang gawa mo ang na ere na?

as far as i can see ikaw lang ang ma ere eh...

sorry, you made me do it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:51:34 PM by moHaWk »
wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
yeah. popcorn might be good. i didn't enjoy lunch. it was like i was eating my slippers...

wow, sorry pare. that doesn't sound like it was too appetizing. i cooked beef stroganoff last night had the left over with rice for lunch. nakooooo...sarap! nagugutom na naman ako...:(

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
shoot!Im juggling between this thread and my paperwork.Dang

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »
uy! si MoHawk... seryoso!

at dalawa na umeere sa radio na gawa nyan ah!! kabago bago pa lang na sound engineer nyan!

:D

The Knowledge is in his hairs diba?!?!

pogi deba! hehehehe
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »
well, at least for lunch, i really got victimized by marketing hype -- the name of the food was so much more appetizing than the food itself. it should have carried the brand line6. :-) now i wonder if it was just a food simulation....

ayos ah, sammy. the tone in the hairstyle...
============
Marvin Querido

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
kala nyo basta basta lang ung buhok ko, mali kau dun nakaka pick up ng frequencies 'to! nagvivibrate! :-D
wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »
well, at least for lunch, i really got victimized by marketing hype -- the name of the food was so much more appetizing than the food itself. it should have carried the brand line6. :-) now i wonder if it was just a food simulation....

ayos ah, sammy. the tone in the hairstyle...

i think yung skills ni sammy double whammy - source sa skills nya at source sa power niya when he needs it para dumiskarte sa chicks! huli siya sa pictures di ba?! j.k pare:)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »
now i wonder if it was just a food simulation....

TVP? 

ops ops, if you understood that, then you are old TOO!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2007, 01:03:39 PM »
kala nyo basta basta lang ung buhok ko, mali kau dun nakaka pick up ng frequencies 'to! nagvivibrate! :-D

well then, it's settled. you're a musician who has superpowers.

if the pod is good enough for sammy, then it's good enough for me.

TVP? 

i'm not so happy that i did understand... si imelda kasi eh...
============
Marvin Querido

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2007, 01:05:36 PM »
tvp is not for serious eating :(
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »
yup. i agree. i almost wanted to hear some digital noise...
============
Marvin Querido

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2007, 01:08:27 PM »
TVP? 

* BAMF reels over and falls.

OUCH ! HIT !
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »
with all due respect dodjie, perhaps people are not so biased against your ideas as they are against you.  it is probably normal to piss off one or two forumites.  but to get a lot of people worked up against you... don't you stop and wonder that MAYBE, just maybe you there is somethign wrong with the way you communicate your ideas?

Words are slippery customers.  The full meaning of a word does not appear until it is placed in its context... And even then the meaning will depend upon the listener, upon the speaker, upon their entire experience of the language, upon their knowledge of one another, and upon the whole situation.

C. Cherry, On Human Communication

Nakanampots ! That's profundity for you !

Or to quote Richard Bandler, whom most of you do not probably know:

" The meaning of your communication is the response that it gets."

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:14:36 PM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633