Author Topic: Solved  (Read 2320 times)

Offline chiinabi

Solved
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
Solved. Thanks Philmusic :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:23:55 PM by chiinabi »

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Advice on microphones for Vocals(And a lot of questions)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »
I've been reading around here pero most of the posts are 2010 pa.
Here's my case, I'm just a hobbyist na gustong gumawa ng demo's with some friends.

currently, meron akong XENYX 1204FX (Yeah Behringer I know most of you hate behringers here hehe)
and a sm58 microphone. And an UCA200 as an interface.

meron po akong 10k ngayon. and I'm looking to buy a condenser for Vocals sana at that price range.

I'm new to these kinds of things ano po kaya maiaadvice niyo sakin?
I'm currently eyeing the AT2020,

I've been hearing a lot of good things from sm58's
pero parang hindi ako masyadong satisfied sa kanila
kasi I have to put a lot of gain for them to be in a level na pwedeng i-mix.

If I use an USB interface instead of a mixer? mas okay kaya magiging response nung sm58?

Honestly I've been reading a lot of things pero I have no idea. please help me out.

http://soundcloud.com/chiinabi/sundo

Here's something I recorded out of my sm58 mic - Xenyx - UCA.
my biggest problem right now Is where to spend my 10k nang hindi ako magsisi in the future
Hi bro, thanks for purchasing the mixer. ;)

It doesn't boil down to mic used and the interface. A lot more factors you need to consider like the your mixer settings, the software you use, etc.

I had used SM58 on that mixer and quality-on-gain has never been an issue. I suggest you research more over the net for recording techniques. I haven't done much myself but I know a lot of people here in PM who did and even became experts.

I strongly suggest you do more tweaking with your current rig to find out which areas you miss before you do another purchase. Php10k is Php10k. I'm sure you will realize a much bigger purpose for that as you tweak. :)

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
Hello, your already good with your SM58 for vocal mic. But I do agree that a condenser mic is an upgrade option. But I think you must also consider getting a good interface and run on a good DAW. A reason for a good interface is for your to run higher than 16bit and have more room for better quality sound processing. A reason for a better DAW is for more options.

But if you are really into buying a condenser, you need to realize that you need phantom power for your condensers. Unless you get a ribbon microphone. Most condensers dont have flat responses. So its usually a choice per singer according to characteristics. There are condensers with more highs, some more mids, most of them have lows rolled off so you need to compensate with your EQ if you have a singer with very low voice and want to capture a little rumble on his voice just to capture the body. Take in mind also that most condensers are very sensitive, so you will need a quieter room as compared to what you have been used to with the SM58. You might be picking up the chickens and hogs from the neighbors so to speak. You might also need to eliminate that unstable floor or stand so you will need a shockmount to isolate your mic from the world it sits on. And of course eliminate the pops from the "th" and the "pho" of your singers' voice. So you will need a pop filter.

These are just a few things you may want to consider.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
instead of buying a condenser mic why not buy a good usb interface like m audio or line 6 then record one instrument/vocals at a time. kung live recording you can connect a mixer pero you can't edit individual tracks. sayang condenser mic kung naka uca200 ka lang

Offline chiinabi

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
thanks sa replies ser, so sa 10k budget ano kaya magandang interface?

Offline jcbska

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »
thanks sa replies ser, so sa 10k budget ano kaya magandang interface?

hi bro, kung sa interface, madami kang pag pipilian, meron sa classifieds na 2nd hand around 4-6k. like m audio fast track,presnous audio box, etc..,
pwede na sya for vocals and instument, meron syang 2 inputs and decent mic pre amp., pero kung may drums ka, kailangan mo ng mas madaming input like m audio ultra 8r, or presonous firestudio

hope that helps. cheers!

Offline chiinabi

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm looking for 2 input XLR sana para makabit ko yung Behringer Mixer ko, may tanong din ako sa interfaces,
so, different tracks ba niya nirerecord yung inputs niya or one track lang lahat yung na rerecieve ng computer?

And If I go PCI po ba ano specs ng computer na kakayanin yun? or dependent na lang ba to sa gagamitin kong DAW?

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:57:33 AM »
It will depend on the  capability of your interface. They normally call it 2 x 2 which means 2 tracks simultaneous input and 2 tracks simultaneous output. Other interfaces can go 4x4 or 8x8 or up to 24x8, etc. You will also have the capacity to control the gain since most have built in preamps. There are a lot of interface with 2 xlr inputs with good mic preamps, some even more. Most of these interface have software mixers included so you wont need your outboard mixer anymore as you will control them in your PC. The more advantage here is you have the option to record on 24bit or higher and on 48khz or higher.

PCI is much faster than USB and firewire (but this is a debatable statement - although logically that is how I see it). More processors on your PC would help (duo, quad, i5, i7 etc.). More memory will also help although 2gb is good already. But remember, back in the days, we used to record on windows 97 and on slow PCs but still could get quality recordings out of it so its really up to you how you could maximize what you have. The point here is it is possible to record a decent track with even slow computers and low resolution interface. Convenience is another thing.

I hope this helps.

Offline ranzky72

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
It will depend on the  capability of your interface. They normally call it 2 x 2 which means 2 tracks simultaneous input and 2 tracks simultaneous output. Other interfaces can go 4x4 or 8x8 or up to 24x8, etc. You will also have the capacity to control the gain since most have built in preamps. There are a lot of interface with 2 xlr inputs with good mic preamps, some even more. Most of these interface have software mixers included so you wont need your outboard mixer anymore as you will control them in your PC. The more advantage here is you have the option to record on 24bit or higher and on 48khz or higher.

PCI is much faster than USB and firewire (but this is a debatable statement - although logically that is how I see it). More processors on your PC would help (duo, quad, i5, i7 etc.). More memory will also help although 2gb is good already. But remember, back in the days, we used to record on windows 97 and on slow PCs but still could get quality recordings out of it so its really up to you how you could maximize what you have. The point here is it is possible to record a decent track with even slow computers and low resolution interface. Convenience is another thing.

I hope this helps.
Sir how to combine a Presonous Audio box USB interface 2 X 2 tracks & Stage pass 400I speakers to make a live recording? Do I need to go for 2X2 tracks simultaneously? I can’t figure out what to do can you please give me some piece of advice.
Thank you in advance appreciates it.
Music adds years to your life, it is a source of inspiration, expression and stress relief.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Solved
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
Can't believe this thread was revived.

Unless you have a very tight band, vocalist with very good chops and control, plus a good mixer and set of effects, AND a very good venue to record in, it's very hard to capture a good recording with only a stereo mix.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire