hulika

Author Topic: Need help for the hum!  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Neku420

Need help for the hum!
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:12:11 AM »
My gear: Epiphone SG > Mooer Pitch Box > BOSS ME-70 (multi) > MXR 10-BAND EQ > Orange Crush 20

The hum started when I added the 10-BAND EQ.

Should I just go ahead and buy a noisegate pedal?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks!
:)
"Tendrils extend from the cloudy black mass"

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Need help for the hum!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »
My gear: Epiphone SG > Mooer Pitch Box > BOSS ME-70 (multi) > MXR 10-BAND EQ > Orange Crush 20

The hum started when I added the 10-BAND EQ.

Should I just go ahead and buy a noisegate pedal?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks!

how are all these pedals powered?
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline Neku420

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »
I'm using BOSS 9V PSU for the ME 70 (included when I bought it), then generic na 9v adaptor for the mooer pitch box and then ung 18v na included din for the 10 band-EQ. so wala pa tlga akong multi power supply. hehe. thanks po!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
I'm using BOSS 9V PSU for the ME 70 (included when I bought it), then generic na 9v adaptor for the mooer pitch box and then ung 18v na included din for the 10 band-EQ. so wala pa tlga akong multi power supply. hehe. thanks po!

baka yun po problema. baka may interference yung separate PSUs with that EQ pedal...just my guess. try using batteries(?)

or maybe...try an adapter that can supply more current sa EQ mo. I once had noise problems with my akai headrush with the stock adaptor. replaced it with a generic one that can give more current. nawala noise problems.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:11:27 AM by jm the mute »

Offline Neku420

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »
Ah ganun po ba?

So what if I use a multi power supply?

Like DC Brick, joyo PS 2, artec spb-8, etc., eh pwede po mawala yung hum?

Or okay din po ba na mag noise gate/suppressor na lng ako?

hehe

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
Ah ganun po ba?

So what if I use a multi power supply?

Like DC Brick, joyo PS 2, artec spb-8, etc., eh pwede po mawala yung hum?

Or okay din po ba na mag noise gate/suppressor na lng ako?

hehe

its more about "can your PSU supply the amount of current being required by your pedals?"

regarding adding anoise gate, paano kung mag-cause din sya ng noise dahil sa power supply issues? :)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
Check which peds and their respective power supplies do not get along. Once determined, check which of the 2 causes the noise and replace. Do not forget to check out the orientation of the wall warts/plugs as well. Also try checking the patch cable you are using with the new EQ. Possible na yun lang pala ang cause ng noise.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »
Ang lakas dati ng hum ng amp ko akala ko may sira. Then I realized I just have to swap positions with the laptop adapter sa power strip.

Offline Neku420

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
I checked the volts, for the boss ME-70 9v sya, then yung mooer 9v din sya and ung MXR 10 band 18v sya. I am thinking about changing the cables though. kasi ung ginamit kong cable from Boss ME 70 to mxr 10 band EQ eh ung pang quick gig na cable. should I get a patch cable na shorter instead? The hum btw only surfaced nung nilagay ko na yung 10 BAND EQ sa end ng chain.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
What was being suggested was to check the current rating or mA that  your PSUs put out, not the voltage. Having said that, I do not think the mA power of your PSUs would be an issue if you are using the supplied ones for your peds - not unless if one of them is defective.

Like royc and I mentioned, plug orientation and positioning could minimize noise. Try to experiment and you might get surprised with the results.

As far as cables are concerned, shorter will always be better.  :)

Offline Neku420

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
Thank you po mga sir!

I'll try all of your tips asap. lalo na kapag hndi na ako busy sa work.

Hehe!

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
As far as I know 18v ang power req. nang MXR 10 band EQ.
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline Neku420

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »
Yes sir. included naman po sya nung binili ko sya from another fellow here in PhilMusic.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
most probably, its a power issue bro. may mga outlets din na pangit ang kuryente. or yung adaptor mo din most probably.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
Having said that, I do not think the mA power of your PSUs would be an issue if you are using the supplied ones for your peds - not unless if one of them is defective.

based on my experience with a brand new Akai E2 Headrush that came with the factory supplied PSU, this is not always the case. the PSU they supplied (not only my unit...you can check other forums like the gearpage) was not giving enough mA to power the pedal...kaya dami nagrereklamo na may noise issue. got myself a generic "newstar" PSU from ace that could give more mA and the noise was gone

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
based on my experience with a brand new Akai E2 Headrush that came with the factory supplied PSU, this is not always the case. the PSU they supplied (not only my unit...you can check other forums like the gearpage) was not giving enough mA to power the pedal...kaya dami nagrereklamo na may noise issue. got myself a generic "newstar" PSU from ace that could give more mA and the noise was gone

I will not deny that. There are really some items being shipped out that do not meet required specs but normally, they should. :)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
trouble shoot..borrow some PSUs, adaptors and swap em up...to find out ano yung malakas na hum...I found that one spot type PSUs usually malakas hum..naku lalo mga EQ pedals din..tahimik for me yung wall warts na psu..mabigat lang nga dalhin.. also check your house wiring..may time na nagwashing machine ako..sobrang lakas ng buzz at interferance..habang nag noodling around ako sa guitar..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Neku420

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 03:29:54 AM »
Mga sir!

I just tried putting my 10 band EQ sa unang part ng chain and the noise/hum/loud feedback sound was greatly reduced. pero there is still that noticeable hum.

And then nung nagpractice kame last saturday, same set up ko, una parin ung eq sa chain pero matindi ung hum/loud feedback sound dun sa peavey amp sa studio.

Tsk Tsk Tsk. . . hehehe, what should I do next?

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:53 AM »
Narrow down which equipment is causing the hum. Disconnect the pedal chain. Start with your guitar straight to the amp. Add pedal with its respective PSU one at a time. Move on to the next until you find the culprit.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
Narrow down which equipment is causing the hum. Disconnect the pedal chain. Start with your guitar straight to the amp. Add pedal with its respective PSU one at a time. Move on to the next until you find the culprit.

+1. pag wala sa equips, most prob yung linya ng kuryente. pero that can be "avoided" with a good PSU unit.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Need help for the hum!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
Yung order ng psu sa power strip can result in hum, and it may have different result on a different location

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 01:21:03 AM »
quality patch cables at guitar cables...:)

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 03:43:33 AM »
baka hindi match yung multi efx to be used with the other pedals?
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
#1 culprit..... power supply.

try different psus first to troubleshoot.. try the boss or the zoom psu..no hum from them sa set up ko.
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 10:09:46 PM »
quality patch cables and guitar cables bro, malaking tulong...