hulika

Author Topic: 3rd party lenses totoo po bang nakakasira ng camera Nikon/Canon?  (Read 11209 times)

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
I'm a canon user, gusto ko sana bumili ng new lens kaso lahat eh nasa L lens which is uber duper mahal.. cant afford.
may nag sabi saken mag tamron or sigma daw ako.. wala po akong alam sa mga 3rd party lenses na ito.. medyo madami akong tanong ..
totoo po bang nakakasira sila ng functions ng camera mo mismo like yung terminals contacts, nakakasira daw ng AF pag gagamit kana ng Branded Canon/nikon lens..

ano po bang pangit sa pag gamit ng 3rd party lens?
thanks po.
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 3rd party lenses totoo po bang nakakasira ng camera Nikon/Canon?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »
super not true.

saan mo nakuha yang balitang yan?

ang canon nung unang naglabas sila ng camera nikon ang producer nila ng lens.

kung totoo yan edi sana nakalagay sa warranty card ng canon na hindi pwede ang third party lens.

wala naman, pero don't compare it sa canon/nikon counter part niya. kase super magkaiba pa rin yan. in terms of IQ, sealing, built and other stuff

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
3rd party lens are alright... ive heard more news of actually the lens stripping its focus gear, particularly Sigmas, than the camera body breaking down.

in the end, check what your photography needs are, then check your budget...
3rd party lenses are good alternatives to the L and G lens...

but for some, the high end OEM lenses are the way to go.

by the way, meron din naman non L lenses ang canon na ok ang IQ at reasonable ang price.

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:04:58 AM »
eh paano po itong Error99 sabi daw result of using 3rd party lenses e.g. Tamron ang Sigma incompatible lens circuitry daw.

link: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/canons-error-99-the-man-the-myth

This is probably the most boring article I’ve written for LensRentals. (Personally, I like Smashed Front Element the best.) But, I love a good mystery, and I love debunking dSLR “urban legends”. Every so often I run across an online forum where someone makes broad statements about Error 99 which I know are incorrect or at least incomplete. As is my practice, I’ve boldly charged into these online gunfights devoid of intellectual ammunition (i.e. facts). And predictably, the intellectual level of the discussions quickly spirals down from “Is not”, “Is so” into the traditional online-forum sign-offs of “You get Err99 because you’re a bad photographer” and “if you’ve never gotten Err99 you’re obviously not taking many pictures”.

Because Canon Corporate apparently believes that releasing no information about a problem makes it go away, there is little factual information to debunk the online myths regarding Err99 unless you really do a lot of digging. Googling Err99, Canon EOS error codes, etc. brings up several dozen pages of links most of which are the above mentioned “discussions”. There are a few nuggets of truth out there, though. The most complete of these is a multi-year 2,300 post discussion of Err99 problems at Richard’s Notes. There are also a few thoughtful and factual discussions that have taken place in some of the better forums online. After spending far more hours than I intended looking through these sources to settle an online debate, I thought I’d write a summary of what I found and what we’ve experienced here— LensRentals has over 700 Canon lenses and over 50 Canon bodies (as of December 2008), so we have a bit of Err99 experience.
The Myths

Some of the most common Err99 myths are listed below. Strictly speaking, they are not myths; almost every one is true. The myth part comes from thinking that any one of them is actually the cause of Err99. So:

* Err99 results from an electronic communication problem between the lens and the camera.
    * Err99 results from using third-party (i.e. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) lenses.
    * Err99 means that electronic circuitry in the lens has failed.
    * Err99 means that electronic circuitry in the camera has failed.

* Err99 results from using third party batteries.
    * Err99 is a firmware issue, and can be fixed by upgrading to the latest firmware.
    * Err99 started with Canon XT and 20D cameras.

There are a lot more. Almost all of them are true for at least some cases of Err99. The best myth, though, is that Canon purposely created error 99 to prevent the use of third party lenses. As best I can tell, that one isn’t really true, but it does make fun speculation. And, of course, Canon’s nearly total silence on error 99 and other problems certainly helps feed the conspiracy theorists among us.
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »
youll probably get err99 as well with canon lenses, if the lens circuitry has failed...but then again, no one knows what causes err99. I also have friends who uses sigmas, tamrons and tokinas, so far that experience is alright.

im using a tammy 90 macro and a sigma 10-20mm myself...

sigma lenses are reverse engineered lenses, though it is without permission from the oem manufacturers... tamron on the otherhand have agreements to create their own lenses for different camera makers.

im not sure why you are scared of 3rd party lenses, maybe you are invested in a 1Dmk4 or a 5Dmk2?
if you do not feel secure, then L lenses is the way to go.

good luck!

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting a Tamron or a Tokina. But a Sigma? Nope. I have friends who have a lot of complains/issues with their Sigma's especially with regards to the focus ring.

I think ok naman ang 3rd party lenses except for the the fact na syempre mas maganda ang quality ng Canon/Nikkor lenses mismo. But I'e tried a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and I think it's a lot better than the Nikkor 12-24 f4.

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting a Tamron or a Tokina. But a Sigma? Nope. I have friends who have a lot of complains/issues with their Sigma's especially with regards to the focus ring.

I think ok naman ang 3rd party lenses except for the the fact na syempre mas maganda ang quality ng Canon/Nikkor lenses mismo. But I'e tried a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and I think it's a lot better than the Nikkor 12-24 f4.
sa nabasa kong reviews the tokina 11-16 is the best uwa for crop bodies

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
anong po ang equivalent ng L lens sa tamron mga sir?
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
sa nabasa kong reviews the tokina 11-16 is the best uwa for crop bodies

Ahh talaga? Ayos, I've been thingking of getting either a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC or a Tokina 11-16 f2.8. eh. I think the Tammie is also designed for crop bodied DSLR's. Which do you think is better? I shoot a lot of landscapes/architecture/potraits/photojourn shots.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:38:56 PM by kurtcobainer »

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
anong po ang equivalent ng L lens sa tamron mga sir?

you cannot call it equivalent to the L or G lens but:  Tamron calls its premium lenses "SP" while Sigma calls theirs "EX", Tokina I think call theirs "PRO"

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »
you cannot call it equivalent to the L or G lens but:  Tamron calls its premium lenses "SP" while Sigma calls theirs "EX", Tokina I think call theirs "PRO"

thanks for the info.
based sa mga review nakita ko sa internet mas madami ang gumagamit ng tamron kay sa sigma.. anong problem po ba sa sigma? anyone who have tried it.
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
wala ata eh. L lens will be a L lens talaga wala nang makakapantay.

Ahh talaga? Ayos, I've been thingking of getting either a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC or a Tokina 11-16 f2.8. eh. I think the Tammie is also designed for crop bodied DSLR's. Which do you think is better? I shoot a lot of landscapes/architecture/potraits/photojourn shots.
pag landscape at architecture yung 11-16. pag portraits at photojournalism 17-50. mahirap pumili based sa apat ng fields eh. nasa sayo talaga if wide enough yung 17 sayo pwede na cguro yung 17-50. anong lens gamit mo ngayon? pag naka kit lens ka na get the 11-16

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »
wala ata eh. L lens will be a L lens talaga wala nang makakapantay.
pag landscape at architecture yung 11-16. pag portraits at photojournalism 17-50. mahirap pumili based sa apat ng fields eh. nasa sayo talaga if wide enough yung 17 sayo pwede na cguro yung 17-50. anong lens gamit mo ngayon? pag naka kit lens ka na get the 11-16

Lens ko ngayon are: 18-105mm & 50mm. Yan din sinabi sakin nung friend ko eh. 11-16 nalang daw.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:04:58 AM by kurtcobainer »

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
parang aside sa canon 50mm f1.8 eh cant afford ko na ang mga ibang canon lenses.

maganda daw ung canon 24-70mm kasi L lens din..

meron sa tamron 28-75mm SP lens dko alam kung maganda , based sa ibat ibang reviews ok naman daw, pero mabagal ang AF.

wala bang sale na event sa mga canon leneses
tipong 50 - 60% off hehe
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:37:23 PM by yahxx2 »
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline palmmuteboi

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
the only reason bat my 3rd party lenses para maka afford din naman yung mga mejo kapos sa budget. all those makers ng 3rd party lenses are legit, lesensyado at may go signal to produce (come to think of it you cant really call them cheap) so for me not true yun.

they are made for kapos na budget na market para maka aquire sila ng desired glass nila.

regarding the errors you can get from using a 3rd party lens well kung bago pa balik ka sa shop and pakita mo yung error if your not satisfied papalitan mo and stuff like that ive used 3rd party lens no prob so far.

justmake sure b4 purchasing na gagana sa unit mo then test all you want :)
Like us : facebook.com/Guitarispa
Subscribe : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuCgSf6rTrXcF7Z5eORMVYA

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
the only reason bat my 3rd party lenses para maka afford din naman yung mga mejo kapos sa budget. all those makers ng 3rd party lenses are legit, lesensyado at may go signal to produce (come to think of it you cant really call them cheap) so for me not true yun.

they are made for kapos na budget na market para maka aquire sila ng desired glass nila.

regarding the errors you can get from using a 3rd party lens well kung bago pa balik ka sa shop and pakita mo yung error if your not satisfied papalitan mo and stuff like that ive used 3rd party lens no prob so far.

justmake sure b4 purchasing na gagana sa unit mo then test all you want :)

This!

Do a lot of research and reviews. Kung may kakilala kang meron or nakagamit na, ask mo din sila.

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
pero if ever na magkaroon po ng problem hindi po naman nasisira ang isang body ng camera mismo kung may conflict between the camera at 3rd party lens? o ang lens mismo ang problema..
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
pero if ever na magkaroon po ng problem hindi po naman nasisira ang isang body ng camera mismo kung may conflict between the camera at 3rd party lens? o ang lens mismo ang problema..

sometimes the software of the camera must be updated so that the 3rd party lens will work properly...

like the sigma 30mm into a Nikon d7000... autofocus won't work during video mode... can be fixed easily by updating the software... try to check the updates from the camera's website  :-D

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
Lens ko ngayon are: 18-105mm & 50mm. Yan din sinabi sakin nung friend ko eh. 11-16 nalang daw.
go na for the 11-16 okay na pala yung range na meron ka. meron ka ng external flash?

maganda daw ung canon 24-70mm kasi L lens din..
   maganda ang 24-70 kase...

versatile yung range niya. although mammaximize mo siya kapag naka full frame ka.
   mabilis yung autofocus. dahil sa USM motor
   2.8 yung aperture.
+super sharp at maganda yung build, meron siyang weather proofing.
kaya siya L lens = butas ang bulsa
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:53:18 PM by tejadster »

Offline stryker1957

• Netizen Level
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »
Just my take on the title.  No, hindi sila nakaka sira ng camera but nakaka sira ng shots because of barrel distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberrations, back focusing, slow focusing, etc.

Get the proprietary lenses to be sure.  I use a Canon 50D and I never use 3rd party lenses, always Canon.

Dont waste your money on third party lenses.  Yup, they are cheap but they also produce cheap shots. And if you so decide to upgrade your lenses, resale value is very low.   

Proprietary lenses whether its a Nikon or a Canon are like Gibson Les Pauls or Fender Strats.  They seldom loose their value over time. Try comparing prices of a second hand Canon 50mm 1.4 with a second hand Sigma or Tamron 50mm 1.4 and you'll know what I mean.

If you want quality shots, go proprietary brand lenses 
Hornee Goat Tribe

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »
Just my take on the title.  No, hindi sila nakaka sira ng camera but nakaka sira ng shots because of barrel distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberrations, back focusing, slow focusing, etc.

Get the proprietary lenses to be sure.  I use a Canon 50D and I never use 3rd party lenses, always Canon.

Dont waste your money on third party lenses.  Yup, they are cheap but they also produce cheap shots. And if you so decide to upgrade your lenses, resale value is very low.   

Proprietary lenses whether its a Nikon or a Canon are like Gibson Les Pauls or Fender Strats.  They seldom loose their value over time. Try comparing prices of a second hand Canon 50mm 1.4 with a second hand Sigma or Tamron 50mm 1.4 and you'll know what I mean.

Pa elaborate nung cheap shots.

Depende naman kase sa lens eh. it applys to most but hindi lahat.
tulad ng tokina 11-16 f2.8. you cant compare it sa 10-22 dahil sa aperture. at sa 16-35 f2.8 dahil sa focal length.
and the Sigma 200-500 f2.8
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:40:08 PM by tejadster »

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
Just my take on the title.  No, hindi sila nakaka sira ng camera but nakaka sira ng shots because of barrel distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberrations, back focusing, slow focusing, etc.

Get the proprietary lenses to be sure.  I use a Canon 50D and I never use 3rd party lenses, always Canon.

Dont waste your money on third party lenses.  Yup, they are cheap but they also produce cheap shots. And if you so decide to upgrade your lenses, resale value is very low.    

Proprietary lenses whether its a Nikon or a Canon are like Gibson Les Pauls or Fender Strats.  They seldom loose their value over time. Try comparing prices of a second hand Canon 50mm 1.4 with a second hand Sigma or Tamron 50mm 1.4 and you'll know what I mean.

may point po kayo canon is canon at cyempre hindi nila matatapanan ng mga tamron at sigma
pero tulad neto gusto ko mag upgrade ng lens im a canon user kasi..
aside sa 50mm f1.8 na 4k eh wala nko ibang mabibiling lens..

24-70mm ang gusto ko kaso super mahal..
parang nakaka lungkot kasi 50k -70k ang price.. for a single lens. i cant afford it.

:cry: hay.. may canon lens po ba kayong ma rerecomend na pang all around ?
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline freedom04

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
may point po kayo canon is canon at cyempre hindi nila matatapanan ng mga tamron at sigma
pero tulad neto gusto ko mag upgrade ng lens im a canon user kasi..
aside sa 50mm f1.8 na 4k eh wala nko ibang mabibiling lens..

24-70mm ang gusto ko kaso super mahal..
parang nakaka lungkot kasi 50k -70k ang price.. for a single lens. i cant afford it.

:cry: hay.. may canon lens po ba kayong ma rerecomend na pang all around ?

All around ba kamo? Try 18-200mm EFS IS f/3.5-5.6 All around cya. Pwede malapit pwede malayo, maaachieve mo yung mabokeh at around 135-200mm, medyo wide angle naman yung 18. Tama lang cya. Though nasa 32k cya sa FotoHub Digital.
RN. MD. General Surgeon. Bassist. Audiophile.
2 Elegee Custom 5-string Bass. 1979 Ibanez Musician Bass. Mono Vertigo.

Offline yahxx2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
All around ba kamo? Try 18-200mm EFS IS f/3.5-5.6 All around cya. Pwede malapit pwede malayo, maaachieve mo yung mabokeh at around 135-200mm, medyo wide angle naman yung 18. Tama lang cya. Though nasa 32k cya sa FotoHub Digital.

beginer plang din kasi ako sir pero sabi nila malaking factor daw ung maliit na "F" .. mga f2.8 malinaw daw sa lowlight.
[img width=12 height=12]
yahxx

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »
beginer plang din kasi ako sir pero sabi nila malaking factor daw ung maliit na "F" .. mga f2.8 malinaw daw sa lowlight.
try maximizing your kit lens muna. so you know what you really want almost 3 years akong naka kit lens at 50mm 1.8 bago ako nag 24-70 2.8 L. and get an external flash muna para mas lalo mong mamaximize yung kit lens mo